Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this is extremely nitpicky but idk if i'd say fe7 is about a civil war, eliwood just wants to find his dad and stumbles into some deep poo poo

it's up there with 9 in terms of decent fire emblem plots, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LornMarkus posted:

especially Lyn's.

myrmidon

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Looper posted:

this is extremely nitpicky but idk if i'd say fe7 is about a civil war, eliwood just wants to find his dad and stumbles into some deep poo poo

Its only flaw is that it literally has the climax at the end of a very well structured and plotted arc, promptly goes "... gently caress we still have 14 chapters don't we?" and has Eliwood and co run about doing not very important things so they can come back to Valor and have the same climax again

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Goddamn it I have not played half these games recently enough, ty.

Also you guys can edit it won't show me your real names or w/e (unless you comment).

E: Like seriously go wild, if I disagree with a change you make GDocs saves revisions.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Looper posted:

this is every fire emblem tbh. it's always about a war between people that turns out to have been orchestrated by god/satan/a dragon. the only ones where this isn't the case are 5 (which is set in the middle of 4 and the big bad is merely a priest of satan, who is killed at the end of 4) and 9 (which is retroactively made into god being the big bad in 10). fe7 definitely does it better than most of them tho, and I do like the extra context for nergal's backstory and motivations you get in hector's story. it helps him feel more interesting than just being an evil mage to stab

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is every fire emblem tbh. it's always about a war between people that turns out to have been orchestrated by god/satan/a dragon. the only ones where this isn't the case are 5 (which is set in the middle of 4 and the big bad is merely a priest of satan, who is killed at the end of 4) and 9 (which is retroactively made into god being the big bad in 10). fe7 definitely does it better than most of them tho, and I do like the extra context for nergal's backstory and motivations you get in hector's story. it helps him feel more interesting than just being an evil mage to stab

Someone is a dick and dragons are back.

This is the blueprint to Fire Emblem plots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

fe7 isn't really about a war, though.

there's a bit of a civil war at the start but not really? there's never open declaration of war. laus invades caelin but that's a two chapter sequence and you spend the rest of the game fighting the black fang, which are just a random mob.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah that's the bit that got me confused. Like I said, been too long since I played. It's an excuse for Eliwood's Dad's disappearance to be double-super suspicious and for Eliwood to have something to go "no he'd never do that" over. IIRC

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah that's the bit that got me confused. Like I said, been too long since I played. It's an excuse for Eliwood's Dad's disappearance to be double-super suspicious and for Eliwood to have something to go "no he'd never do that" over. IIRC
yeah. darin is the early boss but you defeat him 9 chapters into eliwood's story and then, uh, the war's over.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

fe7 isn't really about a war, though.

there's a bit of a civil war at the start but not really? there's never open declaration of war. laus invades caelin but that's a two chapter sequence and you spend the rest of the game fighting the black fang, which are just a random mob.

fe7 fits what I said. there's a war and it was put into motion in part by the big bad. the war isn't the main point, but it's there

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you stop the war before it starts though, that's like the whole point. 9 fits that mold better, you just don't get to fight the mastermind until the sequel. in 7 you're always running around in the background and no one else is really aware of what you're accomplishing, which fits the small scale of fire emblem battles (outside of 4) pretty well, i dig it

it's a shame the interesting bits of the villain are hidden behind some asinine sidequest nobody's ever going to find

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

While I'm busy making sure I haven't misremembered FE7's plot, it is immortality Nergal is looking for, at least disregarding his original intention of reviving his dragon wife, right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

While I'm busy making sure I haven't misremembered FE7's plot, it is immortality Nergal is looking for, at least disregarding his original intention of reviving his dragon wife, right?

Well very vague "Power" dudes over 1000 years old he's functionally immortal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah he wants POWER and to open the dragon's gate but he can't remember why

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Ok, so I'm playing through Awakening before I get Birthright, and I'm at the hardest part of that game: deciding who marries who.

My current pairings are:
Chrom/Sumia
Lon'qu/Lissa
Donnel/Nowi
Gaius/Panne

As for me, I've already seen Sully/Kellam's supports and Stahl's support with her is at B right now but Kellam and Sully were cute so I don't really know if I should stick with Kellam this time or pick Stahl. I've also already seen Fred's supports with Maribelle and I'm thinking that Fred/Cherche might be good. That or Vaike or Virion. Gregor/Tharja is another possibility, or I could do Libra/Tharja and see where that plot thread goes. Maribelle could marry Henry I guess, and Olivia could marry Virion.

As for MU, I was thinking Lucina or Cordelia. The only real problem with Lucina is that I miss out on Morgan's sibling support, and Cordelia doesn't get the special avatar confession song which bugs me.

Edit: idaf about min/maxing

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 28, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh and the SNES sprites are also the best because there is literally one midboss sprite in FE4 that isn't reused, and I'm pretty sure my definition of midboss there included "anyone but Manfroy, Arvis and Julius". :allears: How are you handling that, Can? Were you gonna stick with that or try to differentiate them a bit?
I'm probably going to give every boss a unique face, it's not too much effort compared to the playable characters. :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

speaking of FE7, I went to check out FE7x for the first time in forever and it's apparently in Beta now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Looper posted:

you stop the war before it starts though, that's like the whole point. 9 fits that mold better, you just don't get to fight the mastermind until the sequel. in 7 you're always running around in the background and no one else is really aware of what you're accomplishing, which fits the small scale of fire emblem battles (outside of 4) pretty well, i dig it

it's a shame the interesting bits of the villain are hidden behind some asinine sidequest nobody's ever going to find

Wait you're telling me you didn't have Nils play 100 times during the 5 chapters you have him?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

speaking of FE7, I went to check out FE7x for the first time in forever and it's apparently in Beta now.

Okay, despite poking around that forum I couldn't actually find anything that actually described what the gently caress that game is supposed to be beyond the screenshots in that release post. I don't suppose anyone here is wiling to tell me what it is? I'm guessing, based on the name and the fact that 6 was already the story after 7 that it's some sort of prequel thing but other than that I'm clueless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LornMarkus posted:

Okay, despite poking around that forum I couldn't actually find anything that actually described what the gently caress that game is supposed to be beyond the screenshots in that release post. I don't suppose anyone here is wiling to tell me what it is? I'm guessing, based on the name and the fact that 6 was already the story after 7 that it's some sort of prequel thing but other than that I'm clueless.

http://www.bwdyeti.com/fe7x/

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Thank you kindly. Also, holy loving balls do they have enough trainee characters? :eyepop:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

LornMarkus posted:

Thank you kindly. Also, holy loving balls do they have enough trainee characters? :eyepop:

Bwd is big on that stuff.

EDIT: His actual response for you

[3:50:59 PM] BwdYeti: yes exactly enough
[3:51:21 PM] BwdYeti: enough to cover all the t1 classes, if I wanted them to branch into them

Also I found this picture from /feg/ again

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 29, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Onmi posted:

[3:51:21 PM] BwdYeti: enough to cover all the t1 classes, if I wanted them to branch into them

Well, I can't argue with it if you've got a dream and managed to implement it. Have to see when I can tear myself away from Fates to dig into the release.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Also I found this picture from /feg/ again

Unique character design? not in my fire emblem.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fire-Emblem-6-vs-11.png

E:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh poo poo actually I should have posted this here rather than the Fates thread, it's a EurAus thing.

AlphaKretin posted:

Ugh loving piss. Nintendo Australia hasn't acknowledged this game at all since Cloud was announced for Smash and these (not bashing Zelda or whatever but loving Style Boutique?) are supposedly more important upcoming games than something that has Smash DLC and is breaking sales records. :bang:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Fire-Emblem-6-vs-11.png

E:

some of those dont really match up that well and you could do half of those with every game in the series

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Endorph posted:

some of those dont really match up that well and you could do half of those with every game in the series

I wasn't being entirely serious and we were talking about the entire series:

Nanomashoes posted:

Unique character design? not in my fire emblem.

I just went with that because I knew the picture existed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean there are certain tropes but part of it is that characters in certain classes need to look certain ways just due to the aesthetic of the class/how the game handles its animations

you cant have a fighter that isn't a big buff dude with no sleeves because the sprites are always big buff dudes with no sleeves. only the switch to models really fixed this isssue

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

All the pre-Awakening games did have very similar looking artstyles. Mostly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Again I wasn't bashing the series for it or anything I was just having a little fun.

Paging Cake Attack, I'm satisfied with the OP and no one else has touched it in like 15 hours.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just liked having conversations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh poo poo actually I should have posted this here rather than the Fates thread, it's a EurAus thing.

Europe doesn't like games with a lot of hosed Up sexual content.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nanomashoes posted:

The funny thing is I checked and NoE has a section for it! They openly admit they don't have any info past E3 2015 despite the game being out in English (and I was looking at the .co.uk domain) but it's at least literally anything at all.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nanomashoes posted:

No, that's just Australia.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Australia only cares about violence.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Strange Quark posted:

Fire Emblem High Impact Sexual Violence

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nanomashoes posted:

Australia only cares about violencedrugs.

But I'm assuming the ACB's hangups don't have much to do with it, EBGames has a poorly photoshopped "M" over the SE so it's evidently been classified.

E: ACB this game is not multiplatform what the gently caress is wrong with you

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
it has been classified so presumably there is an english version ready to be released here (ie the english version) but we're waiting on noe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And yet NoE have more information about the game available. :cripes: