Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Damnit Carlton, why did you build your new poo poo so close to the boundary? Could have built it 15 meters back and left room for stands, ground should be brought back for smaller AFL matches, still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Im not watching at the moment, Is Carlton really that deplorable or what?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
13 turnovers, 5 resulting in goals.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
So on the basis of this Parkin may have had a point

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm looking forward to round 23 already

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Interesting comment from Michael Long, admitting his favourite player to watch is Jeff Garlett

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

probably worth remembering that melbourne lost to essendons top ups last year in the nab cup, looked pathetic doing so, and still managed 7 wins.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
There weren't actually that many topups today though were there? I thought they'd just picked a couple and the rest were junior players and rookies.

edit
turns out they only had Crowley, Michael, Grimley and Simpkin from the top up list. The rest were mostly younger players with a smattering of older post 2012 recruits like Goddard and Bird. If they can handle an admittedly depleted Carlton I guess the full strength dad's army should be at least competitive this season.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 28, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dockers won by 2 points playing that awful lockdown slop Lyon still thinks is football, and the only reason they got up is the Crows could never figure out the gale blowing across the country ground while kicking for goal. Also, regular season rules with no supergoals, it's a 1 point loss.

Can tell you the Dockers season already - they're going to grind all the way to the 3rd week of finals, and then get smacked by a talented team that actually plays football. Again.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

gay picnic defence posted:

There weren't actually that many topups today though were there? I thought they'd just picked a couple and the rest were junior players and rookies.

edit
turns out they only had Crowley, Michael, Grimley and Simpkin from the top up list. The rest were mostly younger players with a smattering of older post 2012 recruits like Goddard and Bird. If they can handle an admittedly depleted Carlton I guess the full strength dad's army should be at least competitive this season.

Until Dad's army inevitably ends up in the infirmary. We were decent today for a sloppy rag tag group playing against a half strength side. Daniher and ZMerrett were great as was Goddard, Mitch Brown too .. quite a bit of rust but still good to see. And beating Carlton is always a glorious thing no matter be it a final, H&A, NAB, or AFL Live 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Can tell you the Dockers season already - they're going to grind all the way to the 3rd week of finals, and then get smacked by a talented team that actually plays football. Again.

Brave call there

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm an outside the box thinker

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thepokey posted:

And beating Carlton is always a glorious thing no matter be it a final, H&A, NAB, or AFL Live 2004

It really is.

I just saw an ad for the first episode of the footy show starting in a week and a half. No mention of who's going to be on it, just the logo and some stirring music. No god etc

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Essendon will probably beat Carlton this season, but I think Dons fans are thinking prematurely after beating a team with six debutants and lacking regulars Murphy Gibbs Kreuzer Walker Cripps White and Thomas

also Carlton will win the flag

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
All Swans homes are at the SCG this season, pulling the pin on the Stadium Australia deal.
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-02-29/sydney-swans-return-home

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

wont they still have to play finals there though?

e: no mention of it in the article. looks like they're done for good, giving stadium management a bit of breather to figure out how best they want to gently caress the new perth stadium

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 29, 2016

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Am I ever gonna see ANZ again?!

(No way get hosed, gently caress off)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The old "during a game you must piss only in a toilet" rule claims another victim.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Who tried to piss in he mouf??

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Who tried to piss in he mouf??

Mate, AFL has some class. He at least pissed in a cup.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
When in Geelong.....

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

As a member of somethingawful.com I see nothing wrong with relieving oneself in a handy nearby receptacle so I can get back to my game in a hurry

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

At least it wasn't poo.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Been at work all night, what on earth are you on about

...please be not a Geelong player

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It was Alex Fasolo, covered himself with a towel and pissed into a cup, because the interchange bench is on the opposite side of the ground to the visiting changerooms, and he either couldn't make it or couldn't be hosed.

Christo3
May 1, 2013

Poor lad was just trying to find a discreet way to relieve himself after drinking that delicious and refreshing Gatorade(tm), proven to rehydrate athletes faster.

Could have been worse, could have happened on the field in the huddle which would have seen him reported.

Christo3 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 29, 2016

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

As a member of somethingawful.com I see nothing wrong with relieving oneself in a handy nearby receptacle so I can get back to my game in a hurry

Only allowed poopsocking if you wear the classic knee highs.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Oh btw Nutsngum you might know this, I keep exhausting myself at training, tonight I had to pike out halfway, which is odd because the body is actually feeling quite well.

Some of the guys pointed out that maybe it's my diet. I only ate a bowl a weetbix and an apple today. Is that bad? I have no idea what a normal diet looks like because I rarely notice myself getting hungry.

EDIT: More to the point if you know of a handy guide that has actual numbers of calories n stuff that would be great, the one on the playafl website is poo poo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

you should be eating between 1800-2000 calories a day, if you play regular sport it should be towards the 2000 mark

use myfitnesspal (both as an app and site) to track your intake and understand calories, but you would have had like 300-350 calories for the day as a rough guestimate which is way unders for where you should be just to function

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I'm not an expert on nutrition but a bowl of weet-bix and an apple will certainly not be enough to get you thrrough training

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Or like any day what the gently caress man

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

in addition to not having enough calories you're also not getting enough basically anything.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah I'd say some wheet-bix and an apple for a whole day and then pushing yourself physically isn't a great combination. As mentioned, I really like apps like MyFittnessPal which help you keep track of calories, especially enjoy the bar code scanner it has where you can just scan in something using your phone's camera and it'll source the calories for you. It's not perfect as you have to use some things which are close to what you ate - say you have a meal out and you had carrots, you gotta search carrots and get a bunch of different results and just gotta estimate which is the best to pick. But that said, it is a good way to keep track of what you're eating and goals for each day.

While we're on the food topic, can I just say how much I loving love the NutriBullet (or things like it). Only had it a few weeks but it's pretty great just creating your own concoctions. Tonight was Brocoli, carrot, spinach, celery, kale, grapes, apple, blueberries, some nuts, ginger, pepper and tumeric with chilled water and drat it was good. I mean, it's not really delicious like coke or hot chocolate, but its good!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Oh btw Nutsngum you might know this, I keep exhausting myself at training, tonight I had to pike out halfway, which is odd because the body is actually feeling quite well.

Some of the guys pointed out that maybe it's my diet. I only ate a bowl a weetbix and an apple today. Is that bad? I have no idea what a normal diet looks like because I rarely notice myself getting hungry.

EDIT: More to the point if you know of a handy guide that has actual numbers of calories n stuff that would be great, the one on the playafl website is poo poo.

I work nights so im not usually up until post noon and running on a bowl of museli and a red bull :v:

If youre working a day before training though youre probably not getting enough energy by a good margin. Reasonable amounts of carbs and protein for lunch will likely help a lot. Just look up a calorie calculator in google and punch your age and height etc.. in. You will be surprised that an average male who is physically active regularly actually requires more like 12,000kjs a day then the 8700average thats listed on nutritional information.

You likely just arent eating enough for both energy and recovery. Actually your recovery might be a good thing to look into as well. Are you eating enough protein and vitamins with your carbs for dinner? Running isnt like weight lifting but your legs are huge muscles and require lots of protein to rebuild themselves so eat more greek yoghurt/tuna etc.. Aim for about 1.25 grams of protein for each KG that you weigh per day. Push that up to closer to 2 if youre also doing regular weight sessions (WHICH YOU SHOULD BE drat IT)

Also you might just be having a bad day or are fighting off some virus that you've picked up but just wont get "sick from" but will still make you way more fatigued.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

you should be eating between 1800-2000 calories a day, if you play regular sport it should be towards the 2000 mark

use myfitnesspal (both as an app and site) to track your intake and understand calories, but you would have had like 300-350 calories for the day as a rough guestimate which is way unders for where you should be just to function

Skipping the metric system is like skipping leg day bruh.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

eat nothing but protein all day every day

by the time you're done passing a thousand kidney stones you will be immune to pain

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

eat nothing but protein all day every day

by the time you're done passing a thousand kidney stones you will be immune to pain

Also there is no such thing as a "bad protein" so get down to the truck stop and start gagging on those dicks.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Smoke a globe before training

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nutsngum posted:

Skipping the metric system is like skipping leg day bruh.

Too right! We use kilojoules in Australia giys. Not calories.

Seconding myfitnesspal, scan/input your meals and you're good to go.

Try having weekbix and an apple for breakfast and then also eating for the other 2 thirds of the day too.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

MyFitnessPal is definitely great, you can enter in details about yourself and then set goals, you can say you're 5'11" and weigh 165lbs, you can input your exercise too whether you've been to the gym or a run a couple of miles for the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I've plateaued after a few months.

Also what's 165lbs in stone.

• Locked thread