Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

fry your sprouts, toss in pickled mustard seed and balsamic syrup, thank me later.

This sounds good. I also like to roast mine to tender crunchiness and then toss them in a blue cheese bacon vinaigrette with red chili flakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Cook brown sugar and make a caramel with Sriracha and fish sauce, toss flash fried brussels sprouts in it and top with crispy fried shallots... unf.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Divergence in taste for brussel sprouts has been traced to a specific genetic difference.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Discendo Vox posted:

Divergence in taste for brussel sprouts has been traced to a specific genetic difference.

First the cilantro soap gene, now this. Where else will science take us?!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Here is a new one for you. A vegan who also can't have anything cooked in oil.

loving blow me.

This is my friend's mom. She is an old hippy and only started this stuff in the last year or so.

She does make the best jelly I have ever eaten so she gets a pass.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

This is my friend's mom. She is an old hippy and only started this stuff in the last year or so.

She does make the best jelly I have ever eaten so she gets a pass.

Just make sure nobody tells her gelatin isn't vegan

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Why would you use gelatin instead of pectin in jelly?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Oh, right americans call jams jellies. Disregard that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tunicate posted:

All our words are wrong.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Tunicate posted:

So I've wondered about this. We call:

Fruit juice gelled with pectin Jelly
Smooth or mostly smooth fruit puree gelled with pectin Jam
Chunky fruit mash gelled with pectin Preserves
Citrus fruit juice with very thin slices including some rind, gelled with pectin, Marmalade

Others use Jelly for what we call gelatin deserts and, as you note, call what we call Jelly, Jam. Do you just not distinguish between juice and puree products? To be fair, the only fruit I regularly see both Jams and Jellies of is strawberry, so I suppose it's not too confusing, but it still feels confusing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

AnonSpore posted:

First the cilantro soap gene, now this. Where else will science take us?!

y'know how when you eat asparagus it makes your urine smell?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

y'know how when you eat asparagus it makes your urine smell?

No, I don't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Then you don't have the gene!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Possibly. I also have like a 5% normal sense of smell, so it could be that too.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

pile of brown posted:

Because you're out of pectin, but you have gelatin on hand and it works just as well?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Because you're out of pectin, but you have gelatin on hand and it works just as well?

Vegans tend not to have gelatin on hand.

Edit: In terms of describing food, I tend to use "jam," "jelly" and "preserve" interchangeably and didn't know there was an actual difference between them. I thought it was like the pop vs soda thing.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 25, 2016

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Compote fits in there somewhere too!

I think it's just sugar, water, fruit.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fleetwood posted:

Compote fits in there somewhere too!

I think it's just sugar, water, fruit.

And then there's coulis. FRUIT SAUCES AND poo poo EVERYWHERE

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I also always though of jam, jelly, and preserves as three different things. Also friend mom does it for health reasons and still cooks normal stuff.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Naelyan posted:

And then there's coulis. FRUIT SAUCES AND poo poo EVERYWHERE

Gonna stuff my face with fruit sauces, gently caress yeah.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jam is such a handy ingredient. I always have one or two kinds around, even though I rarely eat it as a confection or condiment - it's just great for fruiting up other things. Pork chop? Apricot jam!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Where does apple butter fall in this spectrum? I have 2 apple trees in my backyard and make a metric fuckton of apple butter every year.

CommonShore posted:

Jam is such a handy ingredient. I always have one or two kinds around, even though I rarely eat it as a confection or condiment - it's just great for fruiting up other things. Pork chop? Apricot jam!

Yeah, my roomie eats the apple butter straight up on toast, but I love using it on proteins. Made a batch last season with rosemary and sage from my herb garden for ultimate instant pork chop glaze, poo poo was tight

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

CommonShore posted:

Info this all the time. For goat racks I use this jalapeno kumquat jam and for pork a stout beer and apple jam.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
One of the cooks was so pissed about being cut early he went out the fire door and set off the alarm.

A couple weeks ago a shift lead called him out on leaving early and not doing dishes, cleaning, TURNING OFF HOT THINGS, etc when he's scheduled to close. His response?

"I practically run this kitchen."

A few shifts after that he refused to do sell/expo because he was on the grill. The way it's set up, burgers go from the grill to the bun which is waiting at... sell/expo.

He told the shift lead, "I'm doing poo poo, my hands are full."

He's an alright guy but his attitude has tanked lately.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The best story I ever heard about a pissed off BOH person (sous chef in this case) was someone setting off the Ansul system after getting into an argument with the chef and quitting.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Shooting Blanks posted:

The best story I ever heard about a pissed off BOH person (sous chef in this case) was someone setting off the Ansul system after getting into an argument with the chef and quitting.

I always wondered, how hard is that stuff to clean up?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

I always wondered, how hard is that stuff to clean up?

If you have decent floor drains and most of your equipment is on wheels / can take a direct hose, it'll still take you 8 or 10 hours with a few people, minumum. It's pretty loving awful.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm pretty sure you still have to pay to get inspected by a hazmat inspector before you open again (I am not a health depth representative)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
The short answer is if you're responsible for setting it off you will probably need a new job and have fun with the inevitable "Why are you leaving your last job?"

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pile of brown posted:

I'm pretty sure you still have to pay to get inspected by a hazmat inspector before you open again (I am not a health depth representative)

You also have to pay to recharge it and have its inspection renewed by the local fd.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
The one standing rule in our kitchen (I assume it was half joke, but we never tested) was "if you set off the Ansul, you're fired."

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

woof, nothing like a proper patio shift to make you feel alive again.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

woof, nothing like a proper patio shift to make you feel alive again.

Patio shifts always feel like a waking nightmare.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

well, i love being outside and in the sun--I get pretty heavy seasonally-affective disorder or whatever what those lamps treat is called

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We finally got our liquor licence for the patio, which is gorgeous and perfect for outside dining, except the owner doesn't want to make any concessions regarding the fact that somehow food and drinks have to make their way out there. There's no bus station of any kind, and the only way to the dishpit is through the lobby and entire dining room. Also there's no path to the back tables, just useless stepping stones that seem randomly placed, so better hope that 6 top in the back doesn't all want martinis.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I WOULD say let it become a total train wreck but knowing owners it would be totally your fault.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Help me, surrogate grown-up figures! I was told today I was on call, which is very beneficial as I specified that I was very busy until 3 PM today! I was told very clearly that I would be called by no later than 3 PM as to whether or not I was needed, and have a text message saying "see you Tuesday". I had gotten home at 3 PM and was masturbating to women's wrestling around 3:30 when I was interrupted by a screaming phone call about my whereabouts! I said I would be there ASAP, and was told "okay whatever". Halfway there I was told not to bother, with a lot of passive-aggressive guilt tripping!

All of this stress is for a reservation book that has two people in it for tomorrow, when a giant snowstorm is scheduled. It would be a very stupid thing to not send out resumes, I presume!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Simoom posted:

Help me, surrogate grown-up figures! I was told today I was on call, which is very beneficial as I specified that I was very busy until 3 PM today! I was told very clearly that I would be called by no later than 3 PM as to whether or not I was needed, and have a text message saying "see you Tuesday". I had gotten home at 3 PM and was masturbating to women's wrestling around 3:30 when I was interrupted by a screaming phone call about my whereabouts! I said I would be there ASAP, and was told "okay whatever". Halfway there I was told not to bother, with a lot of passive-aggressive guilt tripping!

All of this stress is for a reservation book that has two people in it for tomorrow, when a giant snowstorm is scheduled. It would be a very stupid thing to not send out resumes, I presume!

I quit a job over this exact scenario.

exact

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
When you say exact, are you including the thing about the women's wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Simoom posted:

When you say exact, are you including the thing about the women's wrestling

I sure hope so. Maybe you two weirdos can bond over your wrestling fetish.

• Locked thread