Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

One time I confused and amazed my bench by dumping the puck in to change after a long defensive zone shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Umm no shift is complete unless you have generated sustained offensive zone pressure what do you mean my line mates have changed twice

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

xzzy posted:

More accurately it allows your wheezing defense to labor to the bench after taking a five minute shift because they felt okay on the last zone clear and want to play some offense, but there was a neutral zone turnover and they got pinned chasing the puck for three minutes being forced to listen to helpful advice from the bench like " SKAAAAATTTEEE!" or "USE THE BOARDS!!!"

That's what gets me. Skate as opposed to what, hop? You can't hear any of it on the ice anyway.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hey here's what you don't do, you don't drop pass

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fuzzknot posted:

That's what gets me. Skate as opposed to what, hop? You can't hear any of it on the ice anyway.

Some guys you can hear. Like one of the jackasses who was on the team last season who I thankfully never have to play with again. The entire loving rink could hear him.. like one time, after the game someone who had been sitting in the bleachers even commented how loud he was.

Guys I chat with on other teams would be all "man that guy's an rear end in a top hat, he never shuts up, and he's always yelling at his own team. You all seem pretty cool except for him."

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

xzzy posted:

Some guys you can hear. Like one of the jackasses who was on the team last season who I thankfully never have to play with again. The entire loving rink could hear him.. like one time, after the game someone who had been sitting in the bleachers even commented how loud he was.

Guys I chat with on other teams would be all "man that guy's an rear end in a top hat, he never shuts up, and he's always yelling at his own team. You all seem pretty cool except for him."

! That sucks. Did no one ever pull him aside and explain that's not appropriate? Or is there some more sinister reason you're not playing with him again?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Indirectly it's been addressed.. team's breaking up because of attitudes like his, it might reform in the summer with a different group but who knows how that will pan out.

And it wasn't just him that was being snotty, everyone was just really unhappy and splitting into factions.

I'm not sore about it, problem's solved, there's lots of other rinks I can drive to if I need to find a place to play. :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

hey here's what you don't do, you don't drop pass

I do this all time time thank you very much.

edit - I even call it the pick and roll play

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for all the offensive zone tips. A situation that I'm probably in the most if I haven't already forced a bad pass and caused a turnover is that I'm skating wide but the defender is just playing me (competently) into the corner. What's my best move here? Should I try to carry the puck around the back of the net? Eat the puck on the boards and hope for support? A lot of times I end up looking for the open man at the point right around the time I get to the goal line but because that means I'm sending the puck up the boards it's like a 50/50 chance that I'm just starting the other team's breakout for them.

I'm not specifically looking for things that I can do against better players necessarily, there are just a lot of offensive zone situations where I don't really know what my right move is. It seems a lot less rigid than the defensive zone where I have a pretty good idea of what I should be doing for any position and any normal situation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you get the puck as far as the corner, your team needs to get their rear end in gear and be in a position to support. You're going to attract a lot of attention carrying the puck that far so get your head up to find an open guy. If they aren't getting open and are gliding around watching the game, that's on them and not you. Sending it behind the net or towards the slot can work, but will usually just be a turnover.

Since you say you can puck handle you can just outwork the guy too, put your body between him and the puck and keep moving. Eventually someone on your team will be all "hmm that looks interesting maybe I should help!" and join in.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you're all the way to the corner and you don't have a pass give it a toss into the crease imo

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

bewbies posted:

I do this all time time thank you very much.

edit - I even call it the pick and roll play

True dat. You should probably discuss these things with your line mates though. If they have an idea that you might be dumping it in or looking for a drop pass there is a better chance they will anticipate your next move to be in position to keep the play going.

One thing that I do sometimes if I'm facing a defenseman I know I can't beat, or a 1 on 2 or something, I'll just send in a low shot to the net. Not some big back scratcher, more like a hard pass. Basically a chip and chase play that isn't along the boards. A lot of the time, after you shoot, the defenseman will turn to see what is happening to the puck and a lot of goalies will just knock that puck down right in front of the crease. Only the better goalies seem to have the right mind and body to be able to deflect those low shots off their leg pads to the corners, or at least swipe the rebound away with their stick. But it can be effective if you're in all alone and you are pretty sure you can't beat the D with stick handling. Chip in, when the D turns sprint hard to the net and hope you beat him to the loose puck that hopefully the goalie has knocked down right in front. Even if he does knock it to the corner there is a good chance you'll have a little more speed going than the D man and you can get to the loose puck in the corner before him, or at least contend for it.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

You should really drop pass. Worked great for the '28 Rangers.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Drop passes absolutely rule if you know your line mates enough and setup a nice cris-cross.

If you don't it's about as reliable as a blind pass.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

On an actual helpful note, my team has 2 unofficial rules in the offensive zone. 1) Don't drop pass 2) On an odd man rush, always take the shot

As far as fancy moves in the zone, I used to always just take it wide and then throw it to the center, however I then transitioned to skating it around the net to hopefully get a better pass in center or back up to the point. Recently however I've been working on my stickhandling, so I'll go with the ol Gordie Howe move of faking wide and slowing down a little, then speed up and cut in center, or vice-versa. It's pretty basic, which helps make it reproducible.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

A well executed drop pass is the best. I remember a nice assist I had via one more than almost any goal I've scored

If you get scored on because you drop it to nobody you absolutely deserve to get beat up in the locker room tho

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

A well executed drop pass is the best. I remember a nice assist I had via one more than almost any goal I've scored

If you get scored on because you drop it to nobody you absolutely deserve to get beat up in the locker room tho

My first assist was off me breaking up a stretch pass, racing up the centre with my line mate trailing for a 2 on 1. I just got in the blue line and left the puck and kept going to the goal for the screen. Line mate picked it up and picked the top corner while I screened the goalie.

It was a spot on play.

Since then I did a truly blind drop that resulted in a turn over and goal. I don't drop now unless I can see who I'm dropping to on a cross or they call out they're behind. I'll dump before I drop.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really want to know this snake oil some of the mail in sharpeners apply to the blades. They claim it's put on at sharpening and not after. I've asked before but dammit I want to know the gimmick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My most recent assist was off a drop pass, drug two defenders with me through the slot, guy I dropped it to sent it wide to the third forward who was coming in near the boards, rips it past the goalie uncontested.

When it works, it's cool. When it doesn't you're apologizing on the bench to your defense.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Apologize to your defense? I sure hope you meant to type "blame the defense" instead.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

I really want to know this snake oil some of the mail in sharpeners apply to the blades. They claim it's put on at sharpening and not after. I've asked before but dammit I want to know the gimmick.

It's a real thing. The local former pro equipment manager who does sharpenings at the local junior team rink uses it. I'll ask him next time I'm in there.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Man I'm glad my team is chill as hell. Other than having "that guy" everyone is super laid back and just wants to have fun. Even then, "that guy" totally means well, his delivery just isn't always the best. Hell, I'm probably the biggest hot head on the team and even then if I get pissed it's only ever at myself when I do something stupid on D.

In even more laid-back-hockey news I'm super pumped for the pond hockey team/season we're starting up right after this regular season ends. Tues or Thurs night 3-on-3 tiny-ice almost-no-rules hockey? :hawksin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does this magic stuff have a brand name? Once you get the ingredients it's probably just a matter of chatting someone who knows metalworking to figure out what's up.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sure it's not just mineral oil

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Focused on keeping the puck deep last night and not turning it over in the offensive zone and we had a great game. We had a lot more sustained pressure in the offensive zone than we usually do and we ended up winning 4-3 (buddy on my team scored a ridiculous breakaway goal with about 5 seconds left on the clock for the win).

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

I don't know what you are talking about really but I will ask Chris O, he worked in the skate shop at TSC.

Possibly something called "Blade Glaze"
Here is a thread about this topic: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38660-blade-sauce/&page=1

Wooty fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 3, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any California hockey goons playing the CAHA tournament in SJ next month? My team will be there.

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any California hockey goons playing the CAHA tournament in SJ next month? My team will be there.

Have you done it in the past? Worth playing?

One of my Sharks Ice teams was trying to put a team together but I was waffling due to some other commitments I have.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

I'm playing, women's novice division I assume.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
From my league's facebook page:

some player posted:

Guys lets brainstorm how to make refereeing better and more accountable. I have guys on my team that almost never get penalized (NOT ME!) However , in some games that seems to be refereed by guys I have never encountered in my 15 years in [the league], they are being penalized on multiple occasions. Some of the penalties are sure questionable. One guy last year as a result of a bad officiating approached a ref in a parking lot for which he received 5 games suspension(the guy had no penalties to this point)....while, I clearly understand that refs job is not easy, by any means it should not imply that it is not accountable. I heard that in [the other] league they record every game and if a team have problem with officiating, they watch video. Sometimes simple apology would suffice, sometimes game suspension is not warranted, however I talked to Andy on possibly improving this area of our experiences. My idea is to have drop boxes at most participating rinks with mountable cameras/batteries/ memory sticks that refs could have a keys/codes to access. After the game ends captains can object to some rulings and have video replayed with captain, ref, disciplinary guys present at a later time. What do you think people? Lets brainstorm the idea... pros , cons, variables.... what do you think guys? How to find good mechanism which may work. Cameras can be purchased for as low as 18 bucks good ones for close to 100. We may need 4/5 of them.... memory sticks brought by captains? Right now the one problem I am thinking is recharging batteries.... what are your ideas? Sincerely, [the player]. Unwarranted multiple game suspensions,for instance if someone had second during 12 month period can come to losing some hard earned money/missed games. Sometimes simple justice needs to prevail as well
oh ok

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, Facebook is definitely the place for a conversation like that. Not with the commissioner or at a captain's meeting or with the head of referees, just air that poo poo in public so everyone can see what a dildo you are.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's loving hilarious.
Holy poo poo.

Before you know it he's going to be demanding health insurance and a 401k.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
"approached a ref in the parking lot"

lol, I'm sure that was as innocuous as he tries to make it sound

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lots of triangles posted:

Have you done it in the past? Worth playing?

One of my Sharks Ice teams was trying to put a team together but I was waffling due to some other commitments I have.

Yeah it's cool, but everyone sandbags the absolute gently caress out of it. As in, college teams will play in he beginner league. It's still fun though.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm playing, women's novice division I assume.

Ohh, what team? My girlfriend will be playing for Pandora. And I think there's another women's team from my area called Fire & Ice or something.

I'm on a team called Mutiny. We have green jerseys. Find us and yell at us to stop being bad.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 4, 2016

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Yeah it's cool, but everyone sandbags the absolute gently caress out of it. As in, college teams will play in he beginner league. It's still fun though.

Ohh, what team? My girlfriend will be playing for Pandora. And I think there's another women's team from my area called Fire & Ice or something.

Stormtroopers. I played against Fire & Ice in Vacaville I think. Other than the golie excursion I can't remember the last time I skated, I've got some catching up to do before the tournament or it's going to be painful.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

dogstile posted:

What's the Ice Hockey scene in the UK like nowadays anyway? I used to be a roller hockey player and the only way to play there was to show up to the local team training sessions and just join in after saying hi to whoever is there and paying your share of floor time, is it the same for ice hockey?

I'm living near the Bracknell Bees/Basingstoke Bisons/Guildford Flames and I know I don't have a chance at playing with those guys, but are there any English goons who know of local clubs/leagues who can give me a brief overview? Stick n' Puck once a week is fine but if I get the chance i'd like to eventually do more than that.

Hello sorry, I've been away traveling so not sure if you've been able to find a team since this post if so great!

You can find a list of every registered rec team here: http://www.eiharec.co.uk/team_list.php or networking through facebook should be able to find you some teams to skate with - posting on one of the buying/selling pages should put you in touch with the right people (https://www.facebook.com/groups/453958284701905/).

As for the standard, its an entirely unregulated mixed bag with no real structure. Generally speaking the "top" level of rec hockey in the UK is 3 or 4 levels below EPL level but every now and then you get groups of players who used to play League. The "better" teams play in the Summer Cup which is really just a series of games organised by some dude but there isn't an officially recognised competition as such in the UK. Teams outside of the Summer Cup organise their own games, which usually leads to playing once or twice a month from Easter through to Summer whilst NIHL/EPL/EIHL and Juniors are in their off season.

All in all, you should be able to find a team that meets your standard and you will enjoy playing with, but games are an entirely mixed bag unless you've played a given team repeatedly over the years - some times a team of wobblies will turn up, some times you get a team full of former Eastern European Semi Pros.

Hope this helps!

Zip! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 4, 2016

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

quote:

RE: Zone Entry

What we try to do is coach our players to skate sort of a "Lazy S" as they get in to the Zone and follow a sort of decision making process:

1. The idea of skating the lazy S is that you're forcing the Defender to keep his feet moving (hopefully out of position) but also you're making it harder for them to intercept your path (moving in straight lines is bad) and make a play on the puck. If the Defender is still tracking you as you reach the top of the circle, You have the choice here to use them as a screen and chuck the puck on net or drive out wide to create some more space for yourself.

2. Your next decision - have you created enough space/speed/separation to cut to the front of the net? If so you're now in a good spot to do this. No? Move to option 3.

3. At this point your team mates should be starting to enter the zone as well, so the idea here is to curl back up the boards. You've got 3 choices here depending on whats going on - has the defender tracked you all the way back up the boards? Chuck it down in the corner for your team mate to collect. Have you got room to make a pass? Its there across the top of the circles. Are you possibly of Eastern European Heritage and have problems sharing things? Then the option is there to just skate across the top of the circle, at which point you are back to Option 1 and the process starts again.

I have also left in Option 4 which is the death wish/hot dog option, where upon entering the zone you skate across the top of the circles which in our world (Contact hockey) is usually where the second D man will Pronger/Stevens the poo poo out of you but it essentially flows into the same decision tree.

Interestingly enough, this process can also apply to the second/third forward entering the zone without the puck, you just start off as the first forward is entering decision 3. Its also a great entry to getting your team cycling the puck.

We typically try and stay away from playing dump and chase hockey, with the exception of if the opposition are pushing up hard and trying to deny the blue line. We will sometimes roll it out for the first 5-10 minutes of a tougher game if we need to, where the primary goal is as much about getting stuck into their defenders as it is about recovering the puck. We find that teams at our level aren't disciplined enough to keep going into the corners if they think they're going to get hit every time and so it buys us time and space later on in the game when we switch to a more possession based style as above.

Hope this helps :)

Zip! fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 4, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Some dude bombed a slapshot right at my head from the faceoff dots last night and I got a bit chippy with him. Maybe it was an accident, but don't take a slapper from that close if you can't keep it down, it's a pickup game.

Maybe I shouldn't have gotten that mad since it was D/C level pickup, but still.

In other news, I made my first robbery glove save so I guess that balances it out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip I've played hockey for over 20 years what the gently caress is that diagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a decision tree for scoring goals, duh.