Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my b, forgot how this thread works apparently! AnoHito should watch...

AnoHito posted:

1. Toradora!
2. Jojo Stardust Crusaders
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Gochuuman wa Usagi Desu ka?

Toradora

and my list, again:

- Vifam  
- Patalliro  
- Kino's Journey  
- Gankutsuou  
- Cutie Honey (1973) 
- Now and Then, Here and There

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Well time to cause some disaster or another if my past attempts at watching toradora are anything to go by. But dammit if I won't I watch a cute show and like it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Well time to cause some disaster or another if my past attempts at watching toradora are anything to go by. But dammit if I won't I watch a cute show and like it.

to be fair, i hadn't read of your Toradora woes when i recommended it. but it's amazingly sweet and i wish you the best while trying to watch it :ohdear:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Toradora episode 1-14 (it's always a good sign when you look up and realize you've just watched like ten episodes in a row)

It's great!
I'd looked it up enough during my attempts and I'd already seen Golden Time before this which is by the same author and loved that one, so it wasn't really any kind of surprise. But it did still manage to definitely exceed expectations. And seeing a Rie Kugimiya tsundere never gets old. I can also see a lot of the really good things about Golden Time in it, mainly things like the character interaction being perfect and being lighthearted just enough to make the tough moments really stick. I'm going to go watch more Toradora now.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

dogsicle posted:

- Now and Then, Here and There

This one. Hope you like rape subplots!

My list is composed of animes that I have made fun of on this forum without ever giving a proper watch.

K-On and/or its sequel, Euphonium
Puelica Magica Madoka Magi
Gundam Unicorn, or any gundam actually
Sailor Moon, the original, though I hear there is a remake
Japanese Slapjack (Chihayafuru)
Any other anime you can remember me bashing but think I haven't seen

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Pavlov posted:

This one. Hope you like rape subplots!

My list is composed of animes that I have made fun of on this forum without ever giving a proper watch.

K-On and/or its sequel, Euphonium
Puelica Magica Madoka Magi
Gundam Unicorn, or any gundam actually
Sailor Moon, the original, though I hear there is a remake
Japanese Slapjack (Chihayafuru)
Any other anime you can remember me bashing but think I haven't seen

Watch Cardslappers (Japanese Slapjack (Chihayafuru))

My current list:
Otona Joshi no Anime Time 2
The Big O
Dominion Tank Police
Idol Defense Force Hummingbird
Transformers Super God Masterforce

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Cardslappers Ep. 1: Realtime commentary

Minute one: people are already sparkling. Old woman freaks out at girl for wearing pants. Hail nippon.
Main character: "I thought in highschool I could focus 100% on cardgames, what a gyp."
I feel like I'm supposed to know who this prettyboy character is but I don't, did I start with the sequel by accident?
Prettyboy understands card game is for children, MC makes a pouty face.
Young MC has a good roundhouse kick, must do stretches.
Theory 1: MC is high functioning autistic.
Theory 2: Black haired kid is a future school shooter.
Young hot dude is a prick.
"Your dream's poo poo! My dream? World champion card slapper."
In japan, playing cards have sharpness of throwing stars. Also black hair is also autist. School shooter not ruled out.
Series name is actually obtuse pun in language I don't understand. Bodes well for future.

Final verdict: Maybe the card game gets interesting later.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gently caress off retard

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Good suggestion Davi, but the rules of this thread oblige me to continue.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Minute one: people are already sparkling. Old woman freaks out at girl for wearing pants. Hail nippon.
Main character: "I thought in highschool I could focus 100% on cardgames, what a gyp."
I feel like I'm supposed to know who this prettyboy character is but I don't, did I start with the sequel by accident?
In japan, playing cards have sharpness of throwing stars. Also black hair is also autist. School shooter not ruled out.
Series name is actually obtuse pun in language I don't understand. Bodes well for future.

You should post here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pavlov posted:

You are significantly less funny than you think you are

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You are significantly less funny than you think you are

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pavlov posted:

Glad that you are enjoying it. :)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Julias posted:

Glad that you are enjoying it. :)

Ya pretty ok so far.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

so much post signing......unreal

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Namtab you've been in synchtube with me before. You should be used to this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gently caress it, i will free the bad post

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

gently caress it, i will free the bad post

no don't

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:argh:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Poemsmashers Ep. 2: The twitter account I should have opened

Oh man we doing multiple episode flashbacks.
Person reading cards is very tone deaf, hopefully not trend.
Black hair sees soda get shaken, opens it anyway.
All poems must be sung using note A#, and only A#.
Black hair very rude, messes up cards every time he slaps.
MC invades cardgame already in session, everyone humors her.
Optimal game strat revealed: slap all cards every round. Best game.
MC: "Maybe I should have actually memorized the poems"
"Best in japan is best in world, because no one else plays this"
Verbatim: "Karuta? Boring. And lame. I'm gunna hang up."
Mother: "How could you loose to a girl!?"
Black hair finally cracks, starts hallucinating cards.
MC leaps from tree, remainder of series is dream on hospital bed.

Final verdict: The cardgame may(?) have got more interesting(???)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can't wait for you to become a chihayafuru fan

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The Big O, episodes 2 through to 5

Yep, I like this series. It has plenty of style and individuality, I like the core cast, and as an episodic thing it works pretty nicely and is a fun watch, although I'm sure there'll be a longer plot eventually. Roger is a good and competent protagonist with an actual personality, Dorothy is excellently deadpan and has a lot of potential as a character, the military police guy is fairly likeable, and Norman the butler is impressively good at everything. The giant robot fights...well, they're hit and miss. Just have to accept that there'll be a big thing to fight in every ep. Suspension of disbelief has to be employed every while, but that's okay. The opening theme is in the so bad it's good category and I still hate the ending theme, but the use of BGM remains good.

Oh, and I love the next-episode teasers with the phone calls and someone with a strong U.S. accent reading out the next episode title in a scenery-chewing manner. "Bring Back My Ghost" sounded very silly. A+.

I'll certainly be continuing to watch. I can't really think of any other anime series I've seen which fit the same niche.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 1, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Watch Cardslappers (Japanese Slapjack (Chihayafuru))

My current list:
Otona Joshi no Anime Time 2
The Big O
Dominion Tank Police
Idol Defense Force Hummingbird
Transformers Super God Masterforce

You should watch Idol Defence Force Hummingbird

I'm gonna post a list:

Asura Cryin' (disclaimer: I watched like 1 ep of this years ago, I don't remember it)
Anti Magic Academy
Bamboo Blade
Blassreiter
Brynhilder in the Darkness
Fate Stay Night: UBW
Shin Sekai Yori
Symphogear
The asterisk War
Trinity Seven
Young black, Jack
Yuki yuna is a hero
Zettai Boei Leviatan
Yona of the Dawn
Witch Craft Works

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's an impressive mix of decent shows and utter poo poo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That's an impressive mix of decent shows and utter poo poo.

but what should i watch?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watch k-on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Namtab posted:

but what should i watch?

There's no point in me telling you and posting a list because I never get around to watching anything.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Watch Symphogear (First pick) or Shinsekai Yori first imo, but do get around to Akatsuki no Yona.

Yuuki Yuna falls a bit short but is still cute, and Trinity Seven has self-aware harem comedy and the MC fits the show rather than being a detriment. Watch either of those if you want a 1-cour show instead of the big ones above, otherwise save them for when you're feeling it

E: I almost failed this thread

Gosick
Dai Mahou Touge
Ichigo Mashimaro
Dennou Coil
Nichijou
Space Dandy
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Katanagatari

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 1, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Space Flower posted:

Gosick
Dai Mahou Touge
Ichigo Mashimaro
Dennou Coil
Nichijou
Space Dandy
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Katanagatari

Arakawa Under the Bridge because I'm currently listening to the OP because it turns out Etsuko Yakushimaru still hasn't stopped being great.

1. Sabagebu
4. Golgo 13
6. kyousougiga

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 2, 2016

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

AnoHito posted:

Arakawa Under the Bridge because I'm currently listening to the OP because it turns out Etsuko Yakushimaru still hasn't stopped being great.

1. Sabagebu
4. Golgo 13
6. kyousougiga

You should watch Sabagebu because it's funny. Incredible selfishness is an endearing quality in a comedy main character.

1. Mononoke
2. Gatchaman Crowds
3. Digimon Adventure tri
4. Mobile Suit GUNDAM Iron Blooded Orphans
5. Osomatsu-san
6. Shirobako

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Impassionate mods
For tears, a river to cease
Bring gimmick posts end
One parting bad one liner:
"I thought this game was for fun?"

Ultimate Haiku Battle Ep. 3

This one was mostly plot so I didn't have many quips to make anyway. The super serious cardgame club reminded me of a boardgame club I once knew. They called themselves a "Wargaming Association and Guild". I bet you can fill in the rest. It's becoming clear that the MC doesn't really give a poo poo about the cardgame. I think she just doesn't have any other friends and uses it as an excuse to hang out. I guess they just don't have video games in whenever this is set. I bet if it was today she'd be that kid who's super into mario cart, and keeps inviting you over to play because you raced her once at a kid's birthday party. Black haired kid would have extensive accomplishments in minecraft creative mode. I'm not sure why prettyboy is even around so much, you can see he has plenty of other friends. This was also the episode where I realized there are no guns in japan, so I'm not sure what the japanese equivalent of a school shooter is.

I did burst out laughing though when they started having a heartwarming moment at the end, and a shower of cherryblossom petals started falling indoors.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm finding your Chihayafuru posts very entertaining Pavlov, please keep us updated with more now that the three-episode intro flashback is over and the show actually starts.

Spice and Wolf continues to be pleasant, so I'm going to finish it before I post my thoughts and another list.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

poo poo, right, this show is about highschoolers or something isn't it

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm almost finished watching Shirobako, a show I find absolutely amazing. I don't know why, but it's fun and amusing and interesting. It's really nice as well that it's got some decent women main characters and doesn't animize them sexually and whatnot. They're just cool people doing their thing, living life.

The myanimelist page recommends Genshiken, and I'll check that out later, but does anyone have any neat show to recommend like that? It doesn't need to be about producing anime or anything, but something in a similar vein of style and humor? I guess Silver Spoons kind of fit that mold, in a way. I don't think Planetes really fit the bill, although it's an amazing show in its own right.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pavlov posted:

This was also the episode where I realized there are no guns in japan, so I'm not sure what the japanese equivalent of a school shooter is.

Most of the world doesn't have the school shooter problem the US does. Imagine that, lax gun laws makes it easier for psychos to kill people.

Still enjoying your reviews. Keep up the good work!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Drifter posted:

I'm almost finished watching Shirobako, a show I find absolutely amazing. I don't know why, but it's fun and amusing and interesting. It's really nice as well that it's got some decent women main characters and doesn't animize them sexually and whatnot. They're just cool people doing their thing, living life.

The myanimelist page recommends Genshiken, and I'll check that out later, but does anyone have any neat show to recommend like that? It doesn't need to be about producing anime or anything, but something in a similar vein of style and humor? I guess Silver Spoons kind of fit that mold, in a way. I don't think Planetes really fit the bill, although it's an amazing show in its own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx_8DYLcGJ8

Moyashimon is really good, too.

Julias fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 3, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oh yeah. Moyashimon was what led me to Silver Spoons, of all things. Haha. I liked Silver Spoons more, but thought Moyashimon was really unique.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Future Card Buddyfight Ep. 4: The show just started?

I wrestled in middleschool. I didn't in highschool for two reasons: The first was too many balls to the face. The second was because in highschool they get serious, and because you always want to make the lowest weight class, you spent the whole season essentially anorexic. You loose the last bit of 'water weight' by really dehydrating yourself before you weigh in for a match, then drink a bunch to gain it back right after. Mostly it was the balls to the face though.

At least you could argue wrestling was getting you exercise. The competitive cardslappers this episode are somehow physically exhausting themselves staring at playingcards. If old mentor dude wasn't bullshitting then you can lose 3 kilos pounding the floorboards. Maybe wrestlers should have just done that instead of tossing up their dinners.

I see the main character hasn't grown out of her aspergers. Also hasn't made any other friends. Not even the other kids we saw at cardgame club. They're probably just as over-invested in the game as she is and none of them showed up to her fancy tournament match. Only old mentor was there, and he's probably the MC's main problem. All her friends disappeared but she seemed to associate companionship with cardgames and never reevaluated that. To continue my metaphor from last time, it's years later and all the other kids are necking it in the poolhouse, and she's still trying to beat your best time on rainbow road, thinking you'll come back to top her if she does.

Hell, she had black hair's number in her phone the whole time—by the way, she has exactly 3 numbers in her phone, and the other two are probably prettyboy and her mom, no friends—but she didn't call him once in like four years. She actually needed the excuse of winning a cardgame in order to initiate basic human contact. Maybe she would have figured out how to do it normal too if old mentor hadn't been goading her into singleminded cardgame fanaticism so he can live vicariously through a surrogate daughter.

Hope prettyboy stops being so tsundere as gently caress. "I- I'm not giving you my coat because I like you, b- baka!"

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 3, 2016

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Your posts still suck, retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage