Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
OP you're going to want to clear your afternoon and read this:
http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/fullblog

Guy buys a house, presumably with no prior inspection. House was pretty much built in the most back-assward way possible, and the flippers just put walls and carpet over all the glaring errors. Plus hilariously slapstick fraud, like putting cable outlets that connect to NOTHING into walls.

Buyer is really handy, so he goes through the house fixing stuff and finding new nightmares every single day.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
The house I bought had a jacuzzi tub that wasn't working, and I found out that the guy had plugged it into a two-wire lamp extension cord, that was plugged into a (non-GFI) outlet in the master bedroom closet, which was all then covered over with drywall for a nice clean install. None of it made sense, geographically speaking it was about 10 feet from the breaker panel and it was easy and cost jack all to hardwire it safely.

And I had to rip out all of the floors to get rid of the cat piss smell. gently caress people who own cats. gently caress them right in the cat

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Drunk Nerds posted:

OP you're going to want to clear your afternoon and read this:
http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/fullblog

Guy buys a house, presumably with no prior inspection. House was pretty much built in the most back-assward way possible, and the flippers just put walls and carpet over all the glaring errors. Plus hilariously slapstick fraud, like putting cable outlets that connect to NOTHING into walls.

Buyer is really handy, so he goes through the house fixing stuff and finding new nightmares every single day.

Every house you buy is exactly like this, especially if you buy a new house in one of those communities where they plop out 50 identical houses.

Inspections don't really help all that much, inspectors cant see through carpet or drywall.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

reallivedinosaur posted:

The house I bought had a jacuzzi tub that wasn't working, and I found out that the guy had plugged it into a two-wire lamp extension cord, that was plugged into a (non-GFI) outlet in the master bedroom closet, which was all then covered over with drywall for a nice clean install. None of it made sense, geographically speaking it was about 10 feet from the breaker panel and it was easy and cost jack all to hardwire it safely.

And I had to rip out all of the floors to get rid of the cat piss smell. gently caress people who own cats. gently caress them right in the cat

Cats are awesome but gently caress people who don't get them fixed or keep them when they're clearly suffering from something terrible so they pee all over all the time. Cat people can suck.

This one house I looked at, someone did a DIY tile shower install that built up a half wall into the most awkward, uncomfortable looking and downright ugly pseudo-bathtub ever. Clearly a lot of work was put into it, but every single aspect screamed "BAD IDEA".

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Mike Holmes from Holmes on Homes is from my home town who wants to hear second hand Mike HOlmes stories?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Spoiler alert: He's a really lovely contractor in real life just like Bob Vila is

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

reallivedinosaur posted:

Every house you buy is exactly like this, especially if you buy a new house in one of those communities where they plop out 50 identical houses.

Inspections don't really help all that much, inspectors cant see through carpet or drywall.

It's not a new house. It was remodeled to make it look far better than it really is. There is a load bearing support column that has been removed.
Also, an inspection would've found the raccoon infestation in the attic, and many other issues.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

reallivedinosaur posted:

Not a single cat my family has owned has peed on the carpet, aside from when one got really old and was basically just breaking down. The dogs on the other hand...

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's not a new house. It was remodeled to make it look far better than it really is. There is a load bearing support column that has been removed.
Also, an inspection would've found the raccoon infestation in the attic, and many other issues.

Still, a lot of houses are like this and a lot of inspectors are people who quit selling used cars when they found an easier way to scam people out of a buck.

If I wasn't there for my home inspection I guarantee you that fucker wouldn't have done any more than drive by the house and take pictures. The mortgage required it, but I made sure I had time to go through the house with a contractor friend before I signed that note, we found tons of (ultimately fixable) poo poo.

Everybody does their own plumbing and wiring, because the industry is so crooked nobody can afford to "do it right" and will just get scammed half the time.

Hell even if you hire out, the guy probably won't know how to do the job. It used to be a tradesman put in his hours under a master, and the concept was to get a wide range of real world experience.

Nowadays houses go up assembly-line style, so a guy might spend his early years doing nothing but installing toilets, suddenly he's a master plumber with his own business - but he's never done anything but install toilets.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not a single cat my family has owned has peed on the carpet, aside from when one got really old and was basically just breaking down. The dogs on the other hand...

dog piss washes out, cat piss is like skunk musk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Canada has some great home handyman shows including this one where they gather up a bunch of truly awful DIYers and confine them in a building for several weeks and force them to attempt dozens of repairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPrNIw_vY_c

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

reallivedinosaur posted:

Spoiler alert: He's a really lovely contractor in real life just like Bob Vila is

What's he do that's bad? Is the whole "I JUST CARE ABOUT DOING A GOOD JOB AND AM ANGRY ABOUT BAD WORK!" thing just a shtick for tv?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

reallivedinosaur posted:

Still, a lot of houses are like this and a lot of inspectors are people who quit selling used cars when they found an easier way to scam people out of a buck.

If I wasn't there for my home inspection I guarantee you that fucker wouldn't have done any more than drive by the house and take pictures. The mortgage required it, but I made sure I had time to go through the house with a contractor friend before I signed that note, we found tons of (ultimately fixable) poo poo.

Everybody does their own plumbing and wiring, because the industry is so crooked nobody can afford to "do it right" and will just get scammed half the time.

Hell even if you hire out, the guy probably won't know how to do the job. It used to be a tradesman put in his hours under a master, and the concept was to get a wide range of real world experience.

Nowadays houses go up assembly-line style, so a guy might spend his early years doing nothing but installing toilets, suddenly he's a master plumber with his own business - but he's never done anything but install toilets.

Your experience with home inspectors is the opposite of mine. I had one tell me to straight up stop looking at one house, and his reports were so detailed that even my licensed contractor brother and our electrician buddy were impressed. (My brother is really good, he built this

I've found maybe two things our inspector missed, and one of them was a leak in our heater that couldn't be detected with the gas off, the other was a hot water tank that was dying, couldn't be tested for the same reason.

Manifest fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 8, 2016

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
The guy seems to have thought the realtor was on his side (they are always on their own side), so he agreed to buy the house as-is and, presumably, used to the inspector the realtor recommended (bad idea).

I feel sorry for him but he should have spent a fraction of the effort he's spending now on a bit of research before buying, that way he would know what not to sign and also have learned how to inspect the house himself (you should always try and get a good inspector, but understand that most are lazy and useless so you need to have a good look yourself).

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Baronjutter posted:

What's he do that's bad? Is the whole "I JUST CARE ABOUT DOING A GOOD JOB AND AM ANGRY ABOUT BAD WORK!" thing just a shtick for tv?

He's basically like any contractor who will talk you into spending 100 grand on a 10 grand job because thats "DOING IT RIGHT" and there is plenty of stuff he does on the show that isn't code. I have a plumber friend who gives me a huge long rant about his show, apparently the plumber holmes uses is a complete fucknob and they have some sort of beef or whatever.

In high school one summer I worked for one of the dudes Holmes is always subcontracting on his show, and we did some mega sketchy basement renos. There was one where I was literally putting up paneling that we pulled out of a dumpster in someones house. They are all just regular assholes out to make a buck and I have no idea how they stumbled into TV.

Anyways, my favorite holmes stories are all him strutting around town like a big celebrity and nobody really cares. Like he walks into Tim Hortons and stands with his hands on his hips in the middle of the aisle, looking around waiting for groupies.

My friends daughter told me that when she was 14 she had a sleepover at a friends house, and one of the girls was related to Holmes, so he comes to pick her up, and I guess he came strutting in all "hello ladies, would any of you like my autograph", and they all peed themselves laughing all night.

Well anyways I'm out of Mike Holmes stories.

I think I might have gotten in a fight with him at a bush party when I was 17 but I really cant say for sure who those jackoffs were.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Groverhaus thread! Yoooo

*Slams 5

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Fuzz1111 posted:

The guy seems to have thought the realtor was on his side (they are always on their own side), so he agreed to buy the house as-is and, presumably, used to the inspector the realtor recommended (bad idea).

I feel sorry for him but he should have spent a fraction of the effort he's spending now on a bit of research before buying, that way he would know what not to sign and also have learned how to inspect the house himself (you should always try and get a good inspector, but understand that most are lazy and useless so you need to have a good look yourself).

Yeah. On the one hand I'm going to literally have nightmares about this poo poo every night until closing, on the other hand some of that stuff is ridiculous. Knobs installed on the wrong side of two-panel folding doors is "hidden by seller"? Are you loving kidding me?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Manifest posted:

Your experience with home inspectors is the opposite of mine. I had one tell me to straight up stop looking at one house, and his reports were so detailed that even my licensed contractor brother and our electrician buddy were impressed.
There was one mentioned in the crappy construction thread of a guy that wrote some insanely detailed reports including what's needed to fix things, impressive stuff, but not the norm for house inspectors.

Mine didn't bother to check out the gas heater, gas meter, or any plumbing around either because they were "inaccessible" because of a 3 foor high staircase to the back door that could be squeezed by if he was not fat, or climbed over if he was - put it this way - if it he considered it an insurmountable obstacle there's no way he looked under the house or in the ceiling.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Like seriously now I'm kind of freaking out because my realtor recommended this home inspector. I got what appears to be a nicely detailed 25-page report with pictures of items of concern, and not only did he get up in the attic but he invited us to climb up and take a look as well, but like....drat. That house. I'm even buying in MN so it hits close to home in a staggeringly literal sense. :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every lovely realtor has a "recommended inspector trust me this guy is for real!". Realtors are not your friend. It's like buying a used car and the used car salesman saying "Wait, I know a great mechanic, he's here on sight he'll tell you if this is a good car for you or not!"

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Ryoshi posted:

Like seriously now I'm kind of freaking out because my realtor recommended this home inspector. I got what appears to be a nicely detailed 25-page report with pictures of items of concern, and not only did he get up in the attic but he invited us to climb up and take a look as well, but like....drat. That house. I'm even buying in MN so it hits close to home in a staggeringly literal sense. :(

You're always taking a gamble no matter how good the home inspector is the house could always be on top of an indian burial grounds and the earth could open up like a toothy tentacled vagina and swallow you hole.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There will be tons of dopey aesthetic stuff like closet doors or flooring that you will tear out and change one day anyways. Drywall is cheap. Main things to worry about is that the house wont fall down because of structural problems, or burn down because of wiring issues.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

all of those are absolutely horrid lmao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If your house is built on an old cemetery, make sure they moved not just the headstones but also the bodies. That's an old scam they use to save $$$$

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

reallivedinosaur posted:

You're always taking a gamble no matter how good the home inspector is the house could always be on top of an indian burial grounds and the earth could open up like a toothy tentacled vagina and swallow you hole.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There will be tons of dopey aesthetic stuff like closet doors or flooring that you will tear out and change one day anyways. Drywall is cheap. Main things to worry about is that the house wont fall down because of structural problems, or burn down because of wiring issues.

You know, I think I'm worrying over nothing. The realtor gave me a list of inspectors she recommended and I did spend a couple of hours looking up reviews for all of them before I made my choice. On top of that the seller (who is out of state and can't oversee repairs themselves) has agreed to cut a check to some contractors to complete the minor repairs we've agreed on so I'll have the chance to go over everything again with more thorough contractors to get an estimate.

If they turn up a bunch of shady poo poo I'm fine with walking away and losing the earnest money, if it means avoiding a hellish money-burning fiasco like that blog.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ryoshi posted:

You know, I think I'm worrying over nothing. The realtor gave me a list of inspectors she recommended and I did spend a couple of hours looking up reviews for all of them before I made my choice. On top of that the seller (who is out of state and can't oversee repairs themselves) has agreed to cut a check to some contractors to complete the minor repairs we've agreed on so I'll have the chance to go over everything again with more thorough contractors to get an estimate.

If they turn up a bunch of shady poo poo I'm fine with walking away and losing the earnest money, if it means avoiding a hellish money-burning fiasco like that blog.

Buying a house is terrifying and there's horror stories and tons of hidden poo poo that could be lurking that no inspector could even find, but also tons of people buy perfectly fine houses all the time. You've done your due diligence.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

reallivedinosaur posted:

This is the craziest thing, to me. Like you can walk into any Home Depot right now and for twenty bucks get a full guide on rewiring your entire home, with just a little blurb at the front about how you should definitely get a permit and inspection done on the work (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Baronjutter posted:

If your house is built on an old cemetery, make sure they moved not just the headstones but also the bodies. That's an old scam they use to save $$$$

As I am a powerful necromancer (and my hunchbacked assistant is an avowed necrophile, despite continued training efforts), this is a feature and not a bug. How do I easily identify such properties to suit my needs?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ryoshi posted:

This is the craziest thing, to me. Like you can walk into any Home Depot right now and for twenty bucks get a full guide on rewiring your entire home, with just a little blurb at the front about how you should definitely get a permit and inspection done on the work (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Pffffft, inspectors are a total scam. It's much more efficient to get authorised as an inspector yourself, that way you can wire up your house exactly how YOU like it and no one can tell you otherwise.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I just showed my fiancé Hoodwinked House and watching her expression go from frowning to confusion to crippling anxiety was kind of fun. Now I'm not the only one who will have nightmares leading up to closing!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Canada has some great home handyman shows including this one where they gather up a bunch of truly awful DIYers and confine them in a building for several weeks and force them to attempt dozens of repairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPrNIw_vY_c

I used to live 2 doors down from one of these houses and didn't find out until a month after the show at which point the house was condemned

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Pffffft, inspectors are a total scam. It's much more efficient to get authorised as an inspector yourself, that way you can wire up your house exactly how YOU like it and no one can tell you otherwise.

This is unironically true though, there are layers and layers of crazy by laws that are basically make-work for union guys. If you go by the book in most places you can't change your own lightbulbs or run low voltage wiring (tv cable, ethernet, phone, etc) without a licensed contractor.

poo poo adds up quick and all contractors just got big throbbing dollar signs where the pupils of their eyes should be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

social vegan posted:

I used to live 2 doors down from one of these houses and didn't find out until a month after the show at which point the house was condemned

Having watched a few episodes I am absolutely not surprised by this news. These guys completely gently caress up pretty much everything they touch.

Season four has a special twist halfway through when one contestant manages to get eliminated and sent home even though there's not supposed to be any eliminations in this show and they're all supposed to make it through to the final episode.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

My house is legit built on Indian burial grounds but the college professors/archeologists took too long to do anything so the developer just bulldozed it all. Lol

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

My house is legit built on Indian burial grounds but the college professors/archeologists took too long to do anything so the developer just bulldozed it all. Lol

Technically most of ontario is indian burial grounds because the indians who lived there would just bury you wherever and all of the land is sacred to them or some poo poo

anyways we used to find arrowheads pretty often as kids and it was an excuse farmers would use to get kids to pick rocks out of their fields for free

like dumb kids who would care about an old indian arrowhead

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

Technically most of ontario is indian burial grounds because the indians who lived there would just bury you wherever and all of the land is sacred to them or some poo poo

anyways we used to find arrowheads pretty often as kids and it was an excuse farmers would use to get kids to pick rocks out of their fields for free

like dumb kids who would care about an old indian arrowhead

http://m.statesman.com/news/news/local/houston-burial-site-discovery-leads-to-dispute-ove/nTKcY/

They (archeologists) claim it may have been a habitation site due to earthworks and pottery fragments but we'll never know now.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

http://m.statesman.com/news/news/local/houston-burial-site-discovery-leads-to-dispute-ove/nTKcY/

They (archeologists) claim it may have been a habitation site due to earthworks and pottery fragments but we'll never know now.

ya i dont think the natives down there were as nomadic as up around here because the weather and way of life would be way more consistent

according to my indian pals the tribes up here basically spent all their time hiking back and forth

i mean to say I'm sure there are legit indian burial grounds but up here i dont believe they had any sort of concept of a cemetery and it was more just leave the body where it fell and let it return to nature or whatever

I could be totally wrong I'm no indian expert I just know my cousin married one and they sell cheap smokes on the rez

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Every build on former agricultural land has to undergo an archeological survey in my area :japan: I've heard they have to dig down 3 meters. Luckily, anywhere that already has a house has problem already done it, so it can be cheaper and faster to demolish and rebuild than to fill in a rice field.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

I just showed my fiancé Hoodwinked House and watching her expression go from frowning to confusion to crippling anxiety was kind of fun. Now I'm not the only one who will have nightmares leading up to closing!

The people who worked on that house went out of their way to gently caress things up. Most work is pretty straightforward, and anyone with a smartphone can look up how-tos on YouTube and do a decent job. I wouldn't stress about it. That homebuyer had to be loving dumb as poo poo to fall for some of that.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

home diy is fun because most people have never done what project they're about to start so they read about it and study it but ultimately their lack of experience causes them to gently caress up and call somebody anyways.

at least that's my experience.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
at least someone in that family knows how to decorate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm. Questions on insurance? *$$ signs for eyes*