Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Who is/was that pitcher with the weird, possibly illegal, stutter-step off the mound during his delivery? I need to look up gifs of that dude's pitches from that awesome site.

...who is a reliever and so sadly not on the Pitcherlist site.

FanGraphs has written a few articles about Capps, though, and they include a handful of gifs every time: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carter-capps-has-become-baseballs-most-unhittable-pitcher/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
at least we still have Jordan Walden to cringe at

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Who is dead now rip

The only thing that surprises me about this is that it was his UCL that went and not his landing ankle/foot, because every time he threw a pitch I was anticipating it shattering into splinters.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

...who is a reliever and so sadly not on the Pitcherlist site.

FanGraphs has written a few articles about Capps, though, and they include a handful of gifs every time: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carter-capps-has-become-baseballs-most-unhittable-pitcher/

His FIP was lower than his ERA and his ERA was 1.16. Pretty hosed up if you ask me.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Any of you Twins goons been to any of the spring training games? how are they looking?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dubious posted:

Any of you Twins goons been to any of the spring training games? how are they looking?

IcePhoenix went to one, I think.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dubious posted:

Adequate.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jarrod Parker re-fractured his elbow

:rip:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

zakharov posted:

Poor guy. He was really good when he was healthy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Jon Singleton has struck out 9 times in 20 spring at-bats and is slashing .100/.100/.300

Our first baseman to start the year :toot:

(sample size sample size yes I know but career he's already below the Mendoza line)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Jon Singleton has struck out 9 times in 20 spring at-bats and is slashing .100/.100/.300

(sample size sample size yes I know but career he's already below the Mendoza line)

Slade Heathcott is having an ugly spring, but then again he's 5th on the OF depth chart at best (probably more like 7 right now.)

I still love him though.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I was helping my parents clean up the house in preparation for a move the other day and I found this :

It was a giveaway from sometime in the 70's when the Jays were still at exhibition stadium. My grandmother thinks she got it at either an Opening Day game or a Ladies Night game, but she is now 98 so her memory isn't the best.
It's a poncho/rain jacket type thing that appears to made from vinyl. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to look up past promotions so we could figure out where/when it actually came from. Im not expecting it to be worth anything, but it is still in the original packaging. I guess if it was worth something that would be a nice surprise too, I just figured I would see if you guys knew anything before I open it and or give it away.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Intruder posted:

At least his ISO is pretty solid

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of the scrappiest, grittiest players not named David Eckstein retired today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/williebloom/status/708394578777255936

He does it in the most disrespectful way possible, hitting a dinger and flipping a bat. Shameful.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

zakharov posted:

Mother fucker. That sucks so much.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

seiferguy posted:

One of the scrappiest, grittiest players not named David Eckstein retired today:

He does it in the most disrespectful way possible, hitting a dinger and flipping a bat. Shameful.

He's played the game the right way for so many years that he has finally earned the privilege to flip the bat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apropos of Goose, here's a Mickey Mantle embarrassing all of the white players, whoever came before him with a batflip.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Intruder posted:

Who's the not aj reed player who's hitting right now

He seems solid

Edit: Tyler white

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 12, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Pirates got David Freese
https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/708433198229942272

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Who's the not aj reed player who's hitting right now

He seems solid

Edit: Tyler white

Tyler White's been tearing up the spring and slashed .325/.442/.496 across AA and AAA last year

I wouldn't mind having him man first base if the Astros want to hold off Reed's arb clock. He's not considered anywhere near the prospect Reed is though

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Intruder posted:

Tyler White's been tearing up the spring and slashed .325/.442/.496 across AA and AAA last year

I wouldn't mind having him man first base if the Astros want to hold off Reed's arb clock. He's not considered anywhere near the prospect Reed is though

Seems like you're better off with him than Singleton no, maybe platoon them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Singleton is the first baseman right now because the Astros signed him to a $10m contract and want to make sure he really is a bust before flushing that investment away. Dumb, but whatever

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

achillesforever6 posted:

The Pirates got David Freese

Not a bad signing. Good insurance if Kang isn't ready opening day.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I was helping my parents clean up the house in preparation for a move the other day and I found this :

It was a giveaway from sometime in the 70's when the Jays were still at exhibition stadium. My grandmother thinks she got it at either an Opening Day game or a Ladies Night game, but she is now 98 so her memory isn't the best.
It's a poncho/rain jacket type thing that appears to made from vinyl. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to look up past promotions so we could figure out where/when it actually came from. Im not expecting it to be worth anything, but it is still in the original packaging. I guess if it was worth something that would be a nice surprise too, I just figured I would see if you guys knew anything before I open it and or give it away.

I can't answer your question but uhhh gimme it

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't know who this young buck thinks he is but he needs to learn how to play the game the right way or he isn't going to make it.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
That's a "disgusted" bat flip, not a "I just crushed a homer" batflip.

I look at them differently.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dubious posted:

Park looked good, Mauer looked good, Milone gave up a dinger but otherwise looked good, Rosario made some good plays in the field but made a dumb baserunning mistake that cost us a run. Otherwise I think it was mostly guys that will be bench players or not make the team. Oh, and Tonkin looked really bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Looks like we're gonna be in philly this June when the Brewers are there. Hotel recommendations? We'd like to have easy public transportation to the park if possible.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The team is probably your best bet for this. Looks like the Blue Jays email format is first.last@bluejays.com...I'd send an email with basically what you just posted to someone in the promotions/giveaway department (check the website) along with the picture and ask them when it was from. Some teams really geek out about items from their history (Yankees, Red Sox, surprisingly the Twins), but at the very least they should be able to tell you when and where it was given away.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Geoff Peterson posted:

The team is probably your best bet for this. Looks like the Blue Jays email format is first.last@bluejays.com...I'd send an email with basically what you just posted to someone in the promotions/giveaway department (check the website) along with the picture and ask them when it was from. Some teams really geek out about items from their history (Yankees, Red Sox, surprisingly the Twins), but at the very least they should be able to tell you when and where it was given away.

Also try tweeting at them, MLB is getting huge about good Twitter interactions with fans

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dingleberry Jones posted:

That's a "disgusted" bat flip, not a "I just crushed a homer" batflip.

I look at them differently.

To the Royals they're all disrespectful and must be dealt with.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v551569783/texmil-gallo-launches-a-threerun-shot-in-the-2nd

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Geoff Peterson posted:

Thanks! I will try this. Thanks to Poque as well for the twitter suggestion. My phone can't seem to figure out how to quote and thank both of you in one post, and I have never made a tweet (although I have an account strictly to follow baseball people). I'll let y'all know if it turns out to be anything more interesting than an old raincoat.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
gently caress yeah! Ryan Howard got a hit.
:hellyeah:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Here's the album of the pictures I took at the ST game on Wednesday. It was lots of fun! Also here is a picture of Park hitting a single.

They are all straight from my phone to imgur because it is an old phone and whenever I try to upload them to my computer first it either doesn't work or deletes my entire gallery, so apologies for them being huge.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I'm mad Garza wasn't madder

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

alex wood forearm tightness death

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

all Dodgers must die

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
have we talked about prince fielder's sleep apena? cuz lol. put down the tgi fridays dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

Opening Day at Dodger Stadium

And now, warming up in the bullpen, the starting pitcher for your Los Angeles Dodgers, Zach Lee!

• Locked thread