Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I, for one, refuse to remain in a timeline where we haven't kissed Chloe. One way or another this must be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Has the situation not come up, or have we still got our time travelly powers?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Veloxyll posted:

Has the situation not come up, or have we still got our time travelly powers?

we have still got them, but we haven't had a reason to use them really. also I can see max feeling a little gun-shy after popping out into a new reality entirely. we definitely still have them though!

Extra Tasty posted:

I distinctly remember this episode being long as balls.

This is actually my favorite episode out of the five and I hope everyone enjoys it :3:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I actually bought this game, just because I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Alterna-Chloe, and I didn't want to watch it in an LP, which is the only way I've seen LiS up till now.

It's pretty weird to get to a Big Choice, and not have someone explaining the pros and cons and then the episode ends.

I'm not through the game yet, but hope to do it before you, PS.

BTW, the Director's Commentary was free with the full game - is it throughout all the episodes, like a DVD-commentary, or just stand-alone interviews? I haven't dared "activate" it, because I'm pretty sure it's full of spoilers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, seeing as Max is a complete poo poo in this world, I vote we do our damned best to ruin her life and teach her some humility.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012

brylcreem posted:

BTW, the Director's Commentary was free with the full game - is it throughout all the episodes, like a DVD-commentary, or just stand-alone interviews? I haven't dared "activate" it, because I'm pretty sure it's full of spoilers.

I haven't seen all of them but so far they have just been little documentaries/interviews with the directors but they are filled with spoilers so I wouldn't watch them till you finish the game.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, I just finished the game in one long-rear end sitting, and then I gave it 5 stars on Playstation Store.

I'm looking forward to everyone's reactions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

brylcreem posted:

Okay, I just finished the game in one long-rear end sitting, and then I gave it 5 stars on Playstation Store.

I'm looking forward to everyone's reactions.

I hope the final choice is whether or not to Dunk Warren.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

I hope the final choice is whether or not to Dunk Warren.

We both know that's not really a choice at all.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Let me assure you all that Warren remains thoroughly dunked.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
gently caress this game ;_;

I can't believe Max turned into such an rear end in a top hat, but at least she's trying to undo the damage. However, is that only because she has memories from the other universe? Like does she still remember she has super powers?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You have it completely backwards.

Alternate-universe Max is dead and gone forever, murdered overwritten by rear end in a top hat-chloe-universe Max. It's basically like we jumped into this timeline and kicked out the resident Max to take her place.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
Its probably best not to worry too much about the specifics of the time travel mechanics since they've already been established as inconstant.

The opening of this section indicates that she don't have alt-Max memories (which raises the question of what happened to her) but the conversation about the fancy letter, where she initially seems to find the whole concept terrible before suddenly seeming to remember that she likes doing it and that it was intended to be a meaningful gesture. One could interpret this as some sort of personality/memory sync between the two different personalities.

On the other hand it could just indicate that Max is disturbingly good at just rolling with the whole existential crisis that is creating a new timeline.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In other news: the TP struggle is real. And backed by SCIENCE.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/08/why-the-poor-pay-more-for-toilet-paper-and-just-about-everything-else/

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello good morning, a day early I've brought you a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Let's see the full extent of how our actions have altered this family.:siren:

Sensitive themes I've warned for previously in the LP come up again in this video, so please watch with caution.

Poll for this week: closed

This is a really, really hard decision, so I'm uploading early to give you guys an extra day to talk it out. Poll closes on Friday.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 19, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Panzer, you already took the toilet paper joke and now there's no way to lighten the mood on this intense, sad update. :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not only that, the medical bill is all just gray rectangles, I can't work with this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Did I mention the drama here feels really cheap? It feels really cheap. What's next, drowning kittens?

e: I don't mean any disrespect here, this is obviously a real and controversial issue, I just don't like how after three episodes' worth of making us care about teenage drama they suddenly switch to one of the cheapest emotion grabs possible.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 13, 2016

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
As much as I would want to end Chloe's suffering, I don't believe Max is the right person to make that decision. If Chloe dies there's no way to prove that this was euthanasia and not murder, and we don't know what Chloe's parents think/would think about this idea. To that end, the only people really capable of making this decision are her parents, so we have to refuse her requst.

Sorry Chloe :(

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

anilEhilated posted:

Did I mention the drama here feels really cheap? It feels really cheap. What's next, drowning kittens?

e: I don't mean any disrespect here, this is obviously a real and controversial issue, I just don't like how after three episodes' worth of making us care about teenage drama they suddenly switch to one of the cheapest emotion grabs possible.

I think the fact that you get a choice redeems it. If you are actually engaged with the characters here then making this decision can actually force you to evaluate how you feel about a real world issue that you might just never bother figuring out exactly where you stand. Yeah it's an emotion grab but it's not just an emotion grab, it accomplishes something.

I do think this particular turn makes the story a little less unique though, like they didn't have faith that their teen drama was engaging enough. But now that I'm thinking about it this game is way darker then I thought.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
This was the first choice in the game I was legitimately terrified to choose, and the fact they give you the I Don't Know shows they know it. And it loving hurts.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Did I mention the drama here feels really cheap? It feels really cheap.
Aw man, totally. Worked like hell on me though.

It's an interesting choice to have Max find the photo-to-the-past before Chloe asks the big question. It kinda undercuts the impact, knowing that Max might be able to retcon everything. Did Dontnod do it deliberately, so people would follow their ethics on this question, rather than trying to work out what the "best" decision is?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We should accept because just imagine the look on alternaMax's face after we leave this timeline and she's convicted of murder.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

We should accept because just imagine the look on alternaMax's face after we leave this timeline and she's convicted of murder.
Now this is a line of thinking I can get behind.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sindai posted:

nobody needs a dunking harder than alternaMax

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Sindai posted:

This was my exact reasoning behind picking to accept. RealMax is about to return to the original timeline anyway, so whatever happens in this timeline is irrelevant to us. Besides, Alternate Max is an awful person, so screwing her over is a nice bonus.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It's disrespectful to deny your best friend's dying wish. Especially since Alternate-Chloe is your real best friend.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012

The Comna posted:

As much as I would want to end Chloe's suffering, I don't believe Max is the right person to make that decision. If Chloe dies there's no way to prove that this was euthanasia and not murder, and we don't know what Chloe's parents think/would think about this idea. To that end, the only people really capable of making this decision are her parents, so we have to refuse her requst.

Sorry Chloe :(

Well she is 18 and facing an immanent and painful death (as someone who has seen failing lung function I can assure you that it's a really bad way to go) and the fact that she's asking Max (and the conversations with the parents) would seem to indicate that her parents would not honor this request. Still its not nice a clear cut decision since it also kind of feels like a somewhat spur of the moment request and its also pretty clear that Chloe has not talked about this with her parents at all.

One of the things I really liked about this part were all of the things throughout the house which highlight both Chloe's current dire situation but also reminders of the additional years of happiness she experienced in this timeline. It does a nice job of putting us in Max's head space by holding out increasingly diminishing hope that changing the past wasn't all just a terrible mistake.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It just occured to me - the creators of the game are French, right?

Couldn't that be the reason why there's no toilet paper roll in the bathroom? They use bidets over there; maybe the graphic artist just didn't know to put toilet paper in there.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Clearly, the best option is to murder Chloe's entire medical team in increasingly convoluted ways. :v: The Abominable Dr. Phibes is a good movie.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

CaptianKatsura posted:

This was my exact reasoning behind picking to accept. RealMax is about to return to the original timeline anyway, so whatever happens in this timeline is irrelevant to us. Besides, Alternate Max is an awful person, so screwing her over is a nice bonus.

Is she? I have no idea but it would be great if Max left asap. This is such a depressing alternate reality and the choice is hitting home pretty hard.

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
Now should be the time where you kiss Chloe instead of killing her. Or do it before killing her. Or even while doing it.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Do not assist a child in committing suicide come on now people. You realize if this werent a videogame and Chloe died like that Max would probably be tried for murder.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
HEY, DO YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO THE OLD TIMELINE WHERE WILLIAM'S DEAD YET?

Also,

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
God loving drat this game...

It wasn't too long ago that my grandmother's dementia got so bad that she didn't recognize anyone, didn't know her own name... She was just a walking shell. Alcoholism and a bad family history... And the fact that she kept drinking even while she knew what was going on. I watched that slow, inevitable degeneration. It was... Well, it was heartbreaking. She was the source of a lot of wisdom in my life. Rather than do any end-of-life things(up here in Canada the right to die is a thing), the family stuck her in a home and more or less wrote her off. My mom was the last one to visit regularly, and you could see how it tore her apart to watch this, the costs of keeping her in a home not even factoring here.

I mean, I know it's far from the same thing, but... That's still kind of a sore scar.

And yet, I'd deny Chloe. I feel like the world's worst human being for it, but that's still legally murder, or at least it would be in the eyes of the court. And as much of an absolutely horrible person as it makes me sound, I wouldn't ruin my life to ease her passing. Given time, some legal backing, a recorded statement... Maybe. But not spur-of-the-moment.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I think the fact that you get a choice redeems it. If you are actually engaged with the characters here then making this decision can actually force you to evaluate how you feel about a real world issue that you might just never bother figuring out exactly where you stand. Yeah it's an emotion grab but it's not just an emotion grab, it accomplishes something.

I do think this particular turn makes the story a little less unique though, like they didn't have faith that their teen drama was engaging enough. But now that I'm thinking about it this game is way darker then I thought.

The way it's presented doesn't help form an opinion though. I don't think anyone on earth who supports assisted suicide thinks it's ok for assisted suicide to be carried out by a teenage girl on the spur of the moment on someone she hasn't seen for several years. Let's not euthanise Joyce and William's daughter, I don't think they'd be too happy with us.

This does come across as really cheap drama to me but I can't hate on it too much since it still made me feel actually sad. A less ridiculous way of going about it with just as much emotional impact might have been if Chloe was talking about how she didn't want to be resuscitated, go on living etc. and later appeared to be dying, but you had to choose whether to intervene or not.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I would have thought goons would be more accepting of Max stepping into the role of kaishakunin and ending Chloe's suffering, as fits with the code of Bushido.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
As the Tales from the Borderlands thread proved I am an irredeemable monster. So whatever! Frame Alternate Max for murder and never look back.

Imagine how all of that would look from her perspective. One evening she's hanging out with her friends, then she zones out and next thing she remembers is sitting next to the fresh corpse of an old friend.

This section made me ridiculously sad. Crushing medical bills are terrible. That poor girl must have regreted surviving the crash quite a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

I thought accept was going to win with a landslide after seeing the vote disparity yesterday but it looks like reject is slowly but surely catching up.

did they misspell .org in that

edit: that address is some sort of weird redirect virus nightmare so i'd advise not going to it lmao

• Locked thread