Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the 780 comes with a DVI -> VGA adapter in the box. :v: (and a CD-R of the at then drivers and nothing else. You bought a GPU and that's all you get these days unless there is some Nvidia Game Promo going on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also, since the Dell does have a full Thunderbolt USB-C port on it, what would be keeping it from working with the Core for the Razer ultrabook? (Besides say a Bios update?) (A neat ultrabook sure, but those bezels really kill its look. The XPS 13 currently is unmatched)
Yeah, firmware/software support is basically it afaik. Razer has (so far) been pushing it as something for any TB3 machine, and AMD and Nvidia have released drivers with support for TB attached GPUs. Last part is support from the computer manufacturers...and TB3 enclosures to come out to begin with.

Semi related topic, new Iris 540 is looking decent, a little faster than the Haswell Iris Pro from some benchmarks:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/review-much-improved-iris-gpu-makes-the-skylake-nuc-a-major-upgrade/

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

japtor posted:

Semi related topic, new Iris 540 is looking decent, a little faster than the Haswell Iris Pro from some benchmarks:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/review-much-improved-iris-gpu-makes-the-skylake-nuc-a-major-upgrade/

I thought that this has been expected for months now. Did I miss some news, or misinterpret previous information?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Saw there was a new XPS 13 with that on the top i7 Model. Looks like a good chip for an IGP.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Combat Pretzel posted:

You're kinda late. I have an Haswell-E now and had GPU passthrough via VFIO working just fine. Matter of fact, I was bouncing the card between guest and host as needed without rebooting. It's just, I spent too much time in the VM to make this whole shebang worthwhile to begin with. Might as well run Windows natively.

The only other reason to keep it going was to keep Linux as thin hypervisor to hide away random device bullshit, like bcaching an iSCSI share and run Windows on that. But I be gettin' a nice new big SSD, so it's moot, too.

So any resources for us or do you just need a high end virtual ready processor and mobo? You are one of like 4 people online I have found messing with this...

To my shame I suck at grub, I think I need to use lilo to dual boot, other than that I seem pretty tech savy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Grundulum posted:

I thought that this has been expected for months now. Did I miss some news, or misinterpret previous information?
I haven’t followed it closely so yeah it might be old for all I know :iiam:. Just nice to know the lower power dual core chips have the option for better IGPs now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

galahan posted:

So any resources for us or do you just need a high end virtual ready processor and mobo? You are one of like 4 people online I have found messing with this...
You just need a CPU and mainboard that are both VT-d enabled. Doesn't need to be an -E CPU, I only got one because I wanted spare cores and needed a new mainboard, too. The brand of mainboard has an influence, because it is an indicator of chance of gently caress ups. The VT-d enabled BIOSes come with remapping tables, that the OEM can gently caress up. Asus was prone for this in the past.

Other than that, Linux kernel 4.4 or 4.5, QEMU 2.5 and a willingness to skip libvirt. IMO the more direct control of the QEMU command line is of advantage for maximizing guest performance.

I can repost my current version of the QEMU script as reference when I'm back from work.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 15, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can repost my current version of the QEMU script as reference when I'm back from work.

If you would be so kind :) I'll try my TS140 next to see if I can get it to work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, I had a Pastebin link in my history.

http://pastebin.com/Rb5d3nKm

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gracias, will have a look later today.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Thanks a lot for posting this! I just got qemu setup to run a Windows 10 VM for games with GPU pass-through. It works pretty well thus far, but passing the GPU back and forth between the host and VM would be pretty amazing.

Given that I've already setup everything for Vt-d and GPU pass-through, is there any other preparation needed to swap the GPU back and forth between the host and VM besides your script?

Would you mind elaborating on your script some? For instance, does this mean you are able to run the pass-through GPU on your host's X session, take it down dynamically, and then reattach it to the X session when you're done? I notice in the script it says not to run it under X.

You use Q35 as the emulated chipset, but most guides I see leave it on the 440fx chipset. It looks like you've got a lot of hyper-v stuff enabled, is that something you can re-enable after you get the nvidia driver installed? Or are you using AMD GPUs?

Please tell me more :allears:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The X shutdown stuff was done in another script using systemd-run, so it'd survive a change in systemd isolate. It'd change from graphical to multi-user to kill the X session, wait for xinit to go away and then run the script I linked with Pastebin. After QEMU stops blocking the execution of the scripts, it'd change back from multi-user to graphical, which would restart X. I'd upload it, but I forgot to copy it when I reinstalled Windows.

Be aware that the X session gets killed dead, and as such all apps running in it. And I was swapping the secondary controller. The primary kept running the framebuffer console. Some dude on reddit I pm'd with tried to get the primary working, seemed to have some intermittent success in releasing all drivers from it, but then I never heard again from him.

Regarding 440fx, I couldn't get a decent answer for this, because the documentation is pretty non-specific and seems out of date in places (calling Q35 relatively new and unstable, despite being there for years now, plus it's being actively maintained in the git, unlike 440fx). Q35 defines the newer ICH9 chipset, which has a proper PCIe bus hierarchy, all chipset devices support MSI interrupts (less overhead) and the OVMF UEFI stuff works better with it (for me, anyway).

As far as Hyper-V goes, the NVidia drivers look for the Hyper-V CPUID and refuse to start when they see it. QEMU 2.5 allows to specify a custom one for obfuscation via hv-vendor-id on the -cpu line (that's why it's there), which lets you use the NVidia driver without issues. For now, anyway, because months ago, the NVidia driver apparently didn't care about the Hyper-V CPUID to begin with. Chances are a newer version will look for other signs to identify Hyper-V eventually and then stop working again. Either way, enabling Hyper-V improves framerates a lot. If your CPU is older than a Haswell or Ivy Bridge-E, you should also specify hvapic for the Hyper-V virtual APIC. Do not specify it with these or newer CPUs, because they support hardware virtualization of the APIC, which has less hypervisor overhead.

Also, check whether MSI interrupts got enabled for graphics, the HD audio device and the USB controllers, to eke out some more performance. MSI interrupts have less hypervisor overhead, too. Specifics here: http://vfio.blogspot.be/2014/09/vfio-interrupts-and-how-to-coax-windows.html

Personally, I'm holding off a while of this VM stuff, hoping that NVidia will release their Wayland support finally. Pissed me off that I couldn't get a 60fps compositing desktop working with neither mutter or compton (pissed me off seeing the smooth compositing every time I booted into the VM). Load Chrome and your framerate's hosed. Worked fine with Gnome Wayland, but that required the nouveau drivers, and gently caress those.

--edit: I suppose this should be moved to the Virtualization thread, anyway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 15, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/intels-high-end-quad-core-nuc-ships-in-may-for-650/

Some more pics here:
https://newsroom.intel.com/press-ki...ame-developers/

$650, not much new besides the picture and price I guess. And comes with a non skull cover! I saw some other articles saying dual m2 slots too.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

japtor posted:

I saw some other articles saying dual m2 slots too.

Intel's spec sheet confirms this.

drat, I'm torn. I'd been getting ready to pull the trigger on an i5 Skylake NUC. 4K@60Hz without relying on an iffy DisplayPort adapter would be nice, though, and even though I'm getting the thing mostly as an HTPC, it may be my only PC for a while, so a little extra oomph might not be a bad idea.

My main concern is the extra power draw, since the PC will be in a closed media cabinet most of the time. Am I correct in thinking that idle/near-idle (e.g. I've read that HEVC decode averages like 3% CPU use) shouldn't be much higher power consumption than the lower-end NUCs?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

japtor posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/03/intels-high-end-quad-core-nuc-ships-in-may-for-650/

Some more pics here:

$650, not much new besides the picture and price I guess. And comes with a non skull cover! I saw some other articles saying dual m2 slots too.

This is goddamn incredible.

How does a mobile i5 compare to the desktop i5? I'm sure if it's faster but is it enough to play modern games? I'd rather buy one of these for my next PC than anything else.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

How does a mobile i5 compare to the desktop i5? I'm sure if it's faster but is it enough to play modern games? I'd rather buy one of these for my next PC than anything else.

Mobile Core i-series is a minefield. i5s are dual-core, except ones that have a Q at the end of the model number, which are quad-core. The dual-core mobile i5s are hyperthreaded, while the quad-core mobile i5s are not. All mobile i7s support hyperthreading, but similar to the mobile i5s, unless they have a Q or X in the model number they're dual-core.

The mobile i7 quad-core line is generally close to par performance-wise with a similar desktop chip, unless thermal throttling kicks in. If thermal throttling kicks in though, your lap is already on fire because the Tcase for those is like 100 C.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

japtor posted:

Some more pics here:

That is one sick board. I have to wonder if anyone will try to fool around with its 6770HQ, to see if its eDRAM acts in the new manner that Intel wrote would be an improvement over desktop Broadwell's victim cache?

(also, can discrete GPUs over Tbolt 3 still happen with this thing?)

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

(also, can discrete GPUs over Tbolt 3 still happen with this thing?)
The article says that, yeah.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

That is one sick board. I have to wonder if anyone will try to fool around with its 6770HQ, to see if its eDRAM acts in the new manner that Intel wrote would be an improvement over desktop Broadwell's victim cache?
Could that be tested with the 540 graphics (already out, just has less eDRAM) or is that one supposed to handle the caching differently?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

td4guy posted:

Ooh...... I want one :)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

td4guy posted:

Whoops, missed the last part of that paragraph, somehow. It's almost certain that some media outlet's going to try turning the thing into a full-blown gaming machine, then.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It has no real gpu. What do you do with a box like that? Is it meant for people who live in 10m^2 apartments in Manhattan?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whoops, missed the last part of that paragraph, somehow. It's almost certain that some media outlet's going to try turning the thing into a full-blown gaming machine, then.
Not like there's a whole bunch you can do with it though. Stick two SSDs in, max the RAM, hook up the TB3 chassis with 980ti or whatever...then I guess hook up a bunch of screens? Maybe they'll try daisy chaining another TB3 chassis :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's a NUC? Looks like it stands for "next unit of computing" but what does that even mean? I can't see the scale/size of this thing but I guess it's just marketing term for "really small form factor computer"?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a NUC? Looks like it stands for "next unit of computing" but what does that even mean? I can't see the scale/size of this thing but I guess it's just marketing term for "really small form factor computer"?

Well, the normal NUCs are like 12x12cm in size. SODIMMs and m.2 drive on one side of the board and the CPU with a laptop-style blower cooler on the other side of the board.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

It has no real gpu. What do you do with a box like that? Is it meant for people who live in 10m^2 apartments in Manhattan?

Steam streaming; get hip.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

It has Intel's biggest integrated GPU with 128MB eDRAM and 72 EUs. It might actually game at 1080p without having a dedicated GPU.

Looking forward to reviews.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ihmemies posted:

In addition to being small, they're also pretty quiet and power efficient. I'm using a NUC as an HTPC and it's great, really impressive little thing. You can also VESA mount them to the back of a monitor or TV or something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
NUCs are also used in retail and signage for that very reason. Pop one on the back of a TV and you're good to display whatever

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea its like the only PC device with an Iris Pro that I can think of and its a reasonably good IGP chip from the looks of it. Even the Iris 540 isn't terrible.

The thing about that Razer Core though is the price ($499!?!) and the fact that you are limited to PCI-E 3.0 @ 4X. Which if each PCI-E Standard is double the last, that means it is as fast as PCI-E 1.0 X16 which was good years ago, but throwing anything better than a 970 in there seems like it would bottleneck the hell out of it.

Still faster than an IGP, but id like to see the reviews comparing different cards in there. The drop off after a 970 I would think would make a 980/980TI/Titan X look almost the same as it can't be fed enough to let loose. Will be interesting to see.

What I really want to see though is the Core working with an XPS 13. Pair the best Ultrabook with Razer's Core and welp. Razer might have burned themselves by trying to make a Ultrabook but their Addon might get some good attention then. :/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm more concerned if the mobile i5 will be able to keep up with a modern GPU that's external.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea its like the only PC device with an Iris Pro that I can think of and its a reasonably good IGP chip from the looks of it. Even the Iris 540 isn't terrible.

The thing about that Razer Core though is the price ($499!?!) and the fact that you are limited to PCI-E 3.0 @ 4X. Which if each PCI-E Standard is double the last, that means it is as fast as PCI-E 1.0 X16 which was good years ago, but throwing anything better than a 970 in there seems like it would bottleneck the hell out of it.

Still faster than an IGP, but id like to see the reviews comparing different cards in there. The drop off after a 970 I would think would make a 980/980TI/Titan X look almost the same as it can't be fed enough to let loose. Will be interesting to see.

What I really want to see though is the Core working with an XPS 13. Pair the best Ultrabook with Razer's Core and welp. Razer might have burned themselves by trying to make a Ultrabook but their Addon might get some good attention then. :/

The Core should work with the XPS 13. I posted a video where it was mentioned about a page back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

There's been PCIe scaling tests for years. Too lazy to find the last one I saw but I think it was with the 980 (maybe Ti but my memory is leaning towards vanilla 980), in most games they tested it was like less than 10% on average, and iirc they tested up to 4K.

...but there were some outliers. I think Ryse was one, at higher resolutions it had a larger drop off. I think the assumption is that for compute heavy stuff (or something, where there's more communication back over the PCIe bus) it'll use up more of the bandwidth. Most stuff didn't at the time of that test but who knows in the future.

Course realistically a bigger concern is probably just basic optimization to not run like poo poo before getting into any of that level of stuff.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm more concerned if the mobile i5 will be able to keep up with a modern GPU that's external.
Kinda confused, cause you mentioned "I'd rather buy one of these for my next PC than anything else" while quoting my post about the Skull Canyon NUC, which afaik only comes with a mobile i7 quad. Unless you meant to refer to the Razer Core for your XPS 13?

I imagine it'd depend on the game or whatever usage, and thermal constraints. Mobile i5s are generally dual core (albeit with hyper threading) so that might be a limiter if the game wants/needs a quad core CPU. Mobile i7 quads like that one should be fine. Both are generally clocked lower than the desktop counterparts which might be a concern, but I think that'd be more on the higher end of things (like I don't know how much stuff requires 3+ghz CPUs). And in both cases if the cooling isn't sufficient enough they'll have to throttle at some point. That'd be my biggest concern with a tight enclosure like that for a sustained load, and/or fan noise.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tab8715 posted:

Which mobile CPU? The 35W and 45W mobile i5s and i7s tend to be full quad core parts, and not much slower than the desktop SKUs at all. Look at stuff like the i5-6300HQ, that stuff is plenty fast.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Which mobile CPU? The 35W and 45W mobile i5s and i7s tend to be full quad core parts, and not much slower than the desktop SKUs at all. Look at stuff like the i5-6300HQ, that stuff is plenty fast.
Are the mobile i5 quads a new thing or have I just never noticed them before?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

japtor posted:

Are the mobile i5 quads a new thing or have I just never noticed them before?

They came with Skylake generation, not sure why people refer to them as so common thing.

I'm quite happy about it because now people don't need to get the more expensive i7 model for real quad core.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Ihmemies posted:

I use the Broadwell i3 model as a work desktop. It takes up no space on my desk, supports 2 monitors and all the connectivity I need, and uses very little power.

This new Skull Canyon model would actually be pretty capable for light gaming if I had to guess. I've played MGSV on a desktop with a Haswell low-power quad using integrated graphics and it was alright at 720p/low detail. A lot of older or indie games would work just fine too, and the mobile quad is going to be almost as fast as a desktop Skylake quad since it's not likely to be thermally throttled in that form factor.

Of course, it probably won't compare to a discrete card costing $150+ but that card also uses as much power as the whole unit. You could add a Thunderbolt dock like the Razer Core, but by the time you do that you're using all of the power, money, and space of a real mini-ITX gaming desktop so you'd have to have another reason to go that route.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you move pretty frequently even carting around a mini ITX case is bothersome (I am loathing the thought of moving my file server, laptops, and mini ITX desktop I use 90%+ of the time for video encoding or gaming), but I think that is one of the few situations where I'd recommend gaming laptops - you are hellbent on reducing the number of machines you have and are willing to pay for it. It's kind of a stretch for me though to try to figure out a very rational reason to have one despite potentially being in that market. I may want to give that new Razer laptop a try after selling my Macbook Pro and desktop, I dunno.

One interesting scenario for having external GPUs is in a PC Room situation common in Asia where you can supply GPUs and network as an operator but everyone will bring their own machines with local storage and CPU. This could be cheaper for these folks to operate than to supply full-fledged PCs they have to actually maintain with software.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I'm looking at getting a new small laptop for use as a mobile device or around the house (my main system is a Broadwell i7 quadcore laptop I got on sale six months back, but while it's slim for a 15 inch, I really don't want to carry it around on trips or use it while I sit in a chair, it's desk only). The 11-inch laptop I'm looking at has an Intel m5-6Y54 CPU. The heaviest thing I'm likely to do on this is watch 1080p H.265/HEVC video while in a VOIP call (Skype or Discord), does the CPU sound adequate for that? (Especially since I think Skylake has hardware accelerated H.265 decoding.)

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Heres how to find out.

Look up the graphics on the cpu
http://ark.intel.com/m/products/88202/Intel-Core-m5-6Y54-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz#@product/specifications

HD 515. Cool. Google "hd 515 h.265"
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-515.149941.0.html

Hardware decode for h.265 / hvec!