Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Probably Magic posted:

Start a White House petition to fire Bruce Weber.

time for some real grassroots action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

horizontal lines make your dong look fatter

This is a myth

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Oh dear, Jim Nantz is one of those people that can't pronounce Reese's properly?

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

kiimo posted:

After Stephen F Austin beats West Virginia, it will be too late for K-State to hire Brad Underwood.

Way to retain Weber and miss out on the one talented coach that would want that job.

but it's not his fault!!! last year's team was "toxic" or w/e so we have to give him a chance with a new team and by chance we mean probably at least 3 years or something because farrrrrrrrrt

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God gently caress UNC

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Here comes the run

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Well, the dream is dead.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In our hearts we know that North Carolina is going to come out of the half and go on a 18-4 run :(

This is ALL YOUR FAULT.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I really don't understand how a 16 seed has never managed to beat a 1 seed in a sample size of literally hundreds of games. Statistically shouldn't it have been inevitable by now? How has there not been some extraneous circumstance, like the entire 1 seed team coming down with the flu or their super star player breaking his leg, that allowed the 16 seed to win? Or the 16 seed has some crazy statistical outlier of a game shooting 70% from the field or something.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 18, 2016

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really don't understand how a 16 seed has never managed to beat a 1 seed in a sample size of literally hundreds of games. Statistically shouldn't it have been inevitable by now? How has there not been some extraneous circumstance, like the entire 1 seed team coming down with the flu or their super star player breaking his leg, that allowed the 16 seed to win?

I didn't read it but 538 tweeted an article about how a 16 seed is "due". I.e. yes it is statistically unlikely they one hasn't won yet.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FGCUUUUUUUUUUU, yerrrr breaking my heeeeaaaaarrrrrrrrtttt

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Artic Puma posted:

I didn't read it but 538 tweeted an article about how a 16 seed is "due". I.e. yes it is statistically unlikely they one hasn't won yet.

were they making fun of the article? because there's no such thing as 'due'

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really don't understand how a 16 seed has never managed to beat a 1 seed in a sample size of literally hundreds of games. Statistically shouldn't it have been inevitable by now? How has there not been some extraneous circumstance, like the entire 1 seed team coming down with the flu or their super star player breaking his leg, that allowed the 16 seed to win?

In the one time it happened in women's BB, Stanford's starting lineup got devastated by injuries going into the tourney.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you go by win probabilities determined by ELO ratings, there's only a 5% chance that no 16 seed would have won yet, is the gist of it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I ran the numbers earlier and if you go by the kenpom odds from this year as average (16 seed has a 4% chance to win every 1/16 matchup), then the odds of every 1 seed winning from 1985-2015 would be 0.6%.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ah, this is going to be the block with four uncompetitive games.

I mean, Buffalo-Miami is actually decent but it never seems like Miami's going to let them closer than 6 or 7 points.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I always thought it's because the committee protects number 1 seeds. I would think they purposefully put these small schools as 16s instead of a mediocre power conference school.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Damnit, every game is turning into a blowout now. Please make a late run, Buffalo.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Poque posted:

were they making fun of the article? because there's no such thing as 'due'

That's why I put due in quotes. Obviously, all the previous 1 seeds winning doesn't change the chance of a 1 losing now, its just weird that one hasn't lost.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

SeannieDarko posted:

I always thought it's because the committee protects number 1 seeds. I would think they purposefully put these small schools as 16s instead of a mediocre power conference school.

Well that's the whole point of seeding. Of course the 4 worst teams in the tourney should be 16s.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SeannieDarko posted:

This is true. The worst at-large teams get the 11 seeds (and First Four games in recent years). Everything from 12 under goes to a small-school champion.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Well that's the whole point of seeding. Of course the 4 worst teams in the tourney should be 16s.

I know, but some may argue that a FGCU should have a better seed and a Tulsa get a 16.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know its rare but #1-4 ranked teams sometimes lose to some shitbag team during the season. But never in the tournament.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

SeannieDarko posted:

I know, but some may argue that a FGCU should have a better seed and a Tulsa get a 16.

I think perhaps you are confusing people's arguments about the play-in games, as far as I know no one wants anyone but the worst teams to get the 16 seeds.

VVV also, there was a 14 seed play-in game for the final two at-larges a few years back.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Benne posted:

This is true. The worst at-large teams get the 11 seeds (and First Four games in recent years). Everything from 12 under goes to a small-school champion.

That awful Georgia team from (checks) 2008 got a 14-seed after freakishly winning the SEC tournament, but that's one of the few exceptions.

SeannieDarko posted:

If the tournament were just the best 68 teams in the country with no conferences taken into account, Tulsa would have gotten in and FGCU would not. Tulsa didn't deserve an at-large, but having gotten one they are clearly better than FGCU and should be seeded higher.

elentar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 18, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jesus Christ that pass :ughh:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

that's not a goaltend gently caress north carolina

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That was a block not goaltending.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This is sad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

If the jerseys were switched i'd be running around my living room screaming but it was UNC that did it so gently caress it that block sucked and was insanely lame

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
I miss all the good games and I come hope to these blow outs :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

florida coast is the one being taken to dunk city this year

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Did USC end up being the New Dunk City? They are in the tourney this year...

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Did Larraņaga start using the tilde in his name when he went to Miami, or just in the last year or so, or what? Could have sworn I never saw it there in the George Mason days.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
cmon Buffalo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Good fight by Buffalo but the Canes just kept them at arm's length the whole time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

We've had a couple 5 seeds go down, but the really big upsets haven't happened yet this year. I think 2 3 seeds had already lost by this time last year.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I hope Wichita St. beats some rear end tonight

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

elentar posted:

Did Larraņaga start using the tilde in his name when he went to Miami, or just in the last year or so, or what? Could have sworn I never saw it there in the George Mason days.

You probably already found this but here are many words about it

http://wlrn.org/post/how-university-miami-s-basketball-coach-bringing-back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Roasted Donut posted:

I hope Wichita St. beats some rear end tonight

:agreed:

• Locked thread