Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

pun pundit posted:

I was inspired to also do a Grant run by this thread, and played pretty straight to Smashy and Stabby, spending most of my souls on levels. At Smashy and Stabby I'm level 49, so I am guessing at least level 45 should be safe for co-oping there.

Good to know; that gives me fifteen levels to play with - guess I was a little underleveled this time around.

Funny thing: every other time I do the O&S fight, I'm higher level and have a difficult time; this time, I was about level 25 or so and beat them the first try. Granted, this time around I actually went down the pyro path, leveled the hell out of my glove, and got some decent spells which helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

The whole point of this character was to use that weapon, if I can't manage it then he's dead to me :negative:

Grant was way worse than I thought it'd be, it doesn't even do that good damage. I did manage to put one more point into endurance so at least I can fastroll now with no equipment, Havel and RoFaP. Maybe I'll consider this a challenge run instead and put it on hold for a bit while I git gud at using slower weapons on a different character. The clubs actually seem pretty nice.

Same kind of thing happened to me with artorias' greatsword. It was so puny :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay, it's time for O&S again...

Damnit, I was so sure that last hit would kill him (that's me dying).

Well, let's do it properly this time...

.....:saddowns:

(Third time's the charm, but I gotta admit I cheesed the hell out of it with pillars)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

thought I'd finally give a STR/END build a try and well, I never thought I'd be able to chop down the Belfry Gargoyles with two or three strikes, let alone sprint through any Black Knight thus far

if only those jerks dropped their greatsword; the shield is nice, but Dragon Crest is practically the same thing with less weight

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Captain Blaargh posted:

Bored of the Demon Spear. What should I switch to for shenanigans post Anor Londo, goons?

You could try one of the boss weapons. Queelag's Furysword and the Chaos Blade are very powerful, the Artorias Greatswords look amazing, and the Golem Axe has one of the best special attacks in the game.

Though if you've been using the Demon's Spear, you're probably on a quality build. So maybe play around with the Gargoyle Halberd?

Edit:

Your Computer posted:

Here's hoping DS3 has even more armor and weapons!

IIRC, they announced that DS3 would have roughly the same number of weapons as the first game. Which is fine by me, as long as the movesets feels properly unique. One of the biggest disappointments I had with DS2 was how many weapons shared the exact same moveset. It made them feel like palette swaps more than anything else.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 15, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Blaargh posted:

Bored of the Demon Spear. What should I switch to for shenanigans post Anor Londo, goons?

If you like spears, the Silver Knight Spear, Partizan and Pike have slightly more interesting movesets. I guess Dragonslayer spear too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

IIRC, they announced that DS3 would have roughly the same number of weapons as the first game. Which is fine by me, as long as the movesets feels properly unique. One of the biggest disappointments I had with DS2 was how many weapons shared the exact same moveset. It made them feel like palette swaps more than anything else.

If this is true, then RIP DS3 :( Palette swaps be damned, variety is a huge reason why I prefer DS2. The movesets and stuff in DS3 seem like a lot of fun, but the thing that has kept me playing DS2 for hundreds of hours and making dozens of characters is all the fun ways you can dress up. I like the challenge I get from situations like "I don't care if this sword is just a weaker version of this other sword, it looks better and that's what I'm rolling with :colbert:". Same goes for armor sets, obviously.

I mean, can you do this in DS1? :ussr:

yes I unironically care about dress-up capabilities in my RPGs shush

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samuel Clemens posted:

Your Computer posted:

If this is true, then RIP DS3 :( Palette swaps be damned, variety is a huge reason why I prefer DS2. The movesets and stuff in DS3 seem like a lot of fun, but the thing that has kept me playing DS2 for hundreds of hours and making dozens of characters is all the fun ways you can dress up. I like the challenge I get from situations like "I don't care if this sword is just a weaker version of this other sword, it looks better and that's what I'm rolling with :colbert:". Same goes for armor sets, obviously.

I mean, can you do this in DS1? :ussr:

yes I unironically care about dress-up capabilities in my RPGs shush

They said that DS3 would have about 200 weapons which is comparable to DS2, DS1 had about 150 or so

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
I did it!

For dark souls 2, is magic any good? DEX or STR for weapons?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oovee posted:

I did it!

Dark 2 faith got whacked with the nerf stick a couple times. Gone are the old super lightning bolts. I think magic is okay but you have to do some fun weird things and fight ng+ versions of some bosses by using bonfire ascetics to get some of the best stuff. Strength is pretty drat great. Dex is okay depending on the weapon you want to use. Really unless things have changed any weapon with Strike damage is king. Most of those are strength weapons.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oovee posted:

I did it!

Magic is pretty bad. Elemental damage got nerfed around the board, and certain enemies are borderline immune to all magic. Dark is still pretty good, and support magic is valuable as ever, but if you decide to go the caster route you'll want to have a physical/Raw weapon handy. DEX and STR are both great, but keep in mind that ultra-sized weapons now have a weird mechanic where your character will still attack freely in any direction even if you're locked on.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I did a sorcery only run and it was pretty drat easy. However, did not go to the dlc (didn't have it), and magic is definitely bad there.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
A friend challenged myself and another friend (both of us have never played any Dark Souls) to race through the game completely blind. The rules for the race are no receiving/giving advice, no consulting the internet, we must complete all bosses, and we can only play when both of us are streaming.

We played a couple hours last night and haven't gotten very far. If anybody feels like coming to hang out, pick sides, cheer us on or talk trash, you can get to our streams at http://www.twitch.tv/ErectorBeast/ and http://www.twitch.tv/Kubisiak

We're gonna start day 2 of the Great Dark Souls Race at 6pm PST.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

ErectorBeast posted:

A friend challenged myself and another friend (both of us have never played any Dark Souls) to race through the game completely blind. The rules for the race are no receiving/giving advice, no consulting the internet, we must complete all bosses, and we can only play when both of us are streaming.

We played a couple hours last night and haven't gotten very far. If anybody feels like coming to hang out, pick sides, cheer us on or talk trash, you can get to our streams at http://www.twitch.tv/ErectorBeast/ and http://www.twitch.tv/Kubisiak

We're gonna start day 2 of the Great Dark Souls Race at 6pm PST.

This sounds fun as hell. I started a few days ago with literally no Dark Souls experience other than hearing my girlfriend talk about it. Hopefully watching y'all (presumably) have bad times will make me see that I'm not a complete idiot :downs:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I finished DeS yesterday for the first time in about 6 or 7 years, so now its on to DS1, again its been years since I last beat it and things are kinda fuzzy. Just started streaming, I'm still in Boleta- I mean Undead Burg.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Thanks for the weapon suggestions, folks! I'll have to try out the fury sword and the Balder/parry stuff. I'm def keeping the lightening spear as my standard for this character, but I wanted to find some other stuff to play with while I explore, or for when I need different tactics. Keep things interesting and all that.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I'm playing through the game for the first time (late to the party, I know) and now that I've reached Anor Londo I'm getting big hits on my performance. The game drops down to 15 FPS anytime I go to the lower levels of the first elevator or the bridge. I'm not using excessively high settings, and I am using DSFix. Sometimes just using the bonfire clears it, but it's getting frustrating (and nauseating).

Is this a common occurrence? My machine is pretty decent - i7 (forget the exact type), 16 GB of RAM and a 750Ti with the latest drivers.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Kavingi posted:

I'm playing through the game for the first time (late to the party, I know) and now that I've reached Anor Londo I'm getting big hits on my performance. The game drops down to 15 FPS anytime I go to the lower levels of the first elevator or the bridge. I'm not using excessively high settings, and I am using DSFix. Sometimes just using the bonfire clears it, but it's getting frustrating (and nauseating).

Is this a common occurrence? My machine is pretty decent - i7 (forget the exact type), 16 GB of RAM and a 750Ti with the latest drivers.

Try unlocking the framerate in DSFix, and then limiting it to 30 (or 60)! That works for some people, me included

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Watch out for that bug where you're stuck sitting at the bonfire until something hits you. It happens sometimes if you unlock the framerate with DSFix (even if you then just leave it at 30 fps) when you unhollow before the particles from sitting at the bonfire completely dissipate.

You can always just alt+f4 to close Dark Souls too but then you have to wait for the servers to find you again which takes 10-15 minutes.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I keep forgetting that's a thing, I hate having to hard reset the game and wait 15 minutes for muh nodes to come back

speaking of, the servers will only get mad at you if you quit while you're invaded right? They won't get angry when I'm closing the game while the bonfire has me trapped in its warm embrace?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Jordbo posted:

Try unlocking the framerate in DSFix, and then limiting it to 30 (or 60)! That works for some people, me included

Yup, that did it.

For some reason I thought it was intended to be locked. I'd also heard something about durability damage being directly linked to frames - say you swing a sword and it hits a wall for 10 frames rather than 5, more will be caused. Is that true or just superstitious nonsense?

midwifecrisis fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 16, 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kavingi posted:

Yup, that did it.

For some reason I thought it was intended to be locked. I'd also heard something about durability damage being directly linked to frames - say you swing a sword and it hits a wall for 10 frames rather than 5, more will be caused. Is that true or just superstitious nonsense?
That was Dark Souls 2, although if it did exist in DS1 it's be a non-issue as weapons have high durability and low wear-rates (doesn't stop new players breaking weapons before meeting any smith though)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but DS2 has the best durability system (putting aside the FPS issue which they patched eventually anyway) of all the souls games. It is so goddamned annoying to have to stop what I'm doing to have to fix my equipment in the other three games (DeS, DaS, BB). Usually it means waiting on a couple of loading screens or running around for 5 minutes and burning some hard souls.

To preempt the inevitable "so what? it only takes a minute or two, what's the big deal?" I will get right to the point: equipment durability as its implemented in DeS/DaS/BB adds nothing to the game whatsoever. In a series that is highly focused on economy of resources--not just upgrade materials or items, but the actual time and space in the game world that separate gameplay events--it is especially egregious to have such a backwards end-point mechanic handed-down from past RPGs, and essentially discarded in many modern ones, in an otherwise near flawless set of games. It's also rather unfair to new players in a game that can claim it is, more or less, "fair" to the uninitiated.

Meanwhile, Dark Souls 2 takes steps to integrate durability more organically. Automatically restoring durability at bonfires and keeping a durability meter plainly visible on the main UI means the player is always aware of the state of their equipment (more importantly, their weapons). And with six weapon slots, a plethora of weapons options, and the availability of upgrade materials, it's not out of the question for a player to naturally pick up a secondary weapon, at the very least as a backup in case their primary is in danger of breaking or breaks unexpectedly, which in turn encourages the player to experiment with weapons they might not normally use. In other words, durability in DS2 feeds into other mechanics rather than being an inconsequential, time-wasting "end-point."

/rant

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 16, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

a durability meter plainly visible on the main UI

You learn something new every day :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apparently not plainly visible enough

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Wow. After dying I think nearly literally 30 times, I beat Astorious. I did get hit a few times, but managed to dodge enough. I even somehow managed to break his charge up somehow (with the slow as hell dragontooth club!)

Now I can't get past the monkey mages on the bridge, right after the shortcut.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
That was the only part where I decided it was ok to use a bow.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but DS2 has the best durability system (putting aside the FPS issue which they patched eventually anyway) of all the souls games. It is so goddamned annoying to have to stop what I'm doing to have to fix my equipment in the other three games (DeS, DaS, BB). Usually it means waiting on a couple of loading screens or running around for 5 minutes and burning some hard souls.

To preempt the inevitable "so what? it only takes a minute or two, what's the big deal?" I will get right to the point: equipment durability as its implemented in DeS/DaS/BB adds nothing to the game whatsoever. In a series that is highly focused on economy of resources--not just upgrade materials or items, but the actual time and space in the game world that separate gameplay events--it is especially egregious to have such a backwards end-point mechanic handed-down from past RPGs, and essentially discarded in many modern ones, in an otherwise near flawless set of games. It's also rather unfair to new players in a game that can claim it is, more or less, "fair" to the uninitiated.

Meanwhile, Dark Souls 2 takes steps to integrate durability more organically. Automatically restoring durability at bonfires and keeping a durability meter plainly visible on the main UI means the player is always aware of the state of their equipment (more importantly, their weapons). And with six weapon slots, a plethora of weapons options, and the availability of upgrade materials, it's not out of the question for a player to naturally pick up a secondary weapon, at the very least as a backup in case their primary is in danger of breaking or breaks unexpectedly, which in turn encourages the player to experiment with weapons they might not normally use. In other words, durability in DS2 feeds into other mechanics rather than being an inconsequential, time-wasting "end-point."

/rant
Durability repairs at a bonfire - good
Lowering max durability while increasing use rate - Ehhhh
Increasing number of enemies (and indirectly use rate) - well you can see the end result

Ultimately it's down to whether you consider weapon fatigue as a good component to prioritise on the same level as resource fatigue (health, flasks, stamina).

I'd be surprised if they do it again after DS2's hiccups. There's points to take away but in a mechanic-intense game there has to be a limit.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I feel it's more justified to have low durability weapons when it's so much easier and faster to repair them. And the increased usage of weapons is among a host of problems that are caused by an imbalanced over-saturation of enemies.

My point is, DS2 proved that durability can be an organic part of overall resource management. My greatest fear is that From takes away the wrong lessons from DS2. It would be a shame to see only a few cosmetic throwbacks without some of the mechanical innovations that DS2 experimented with.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I feel it's more justified to have low durability weapons when it's so much easier and faster to repair them. And the increased usage of weapons is among a host of problems that are caused by an imbalanced over-saturation of enemies.

My point is, DS2 proved that durability can be an organic part of overall resource management. My greatest fear is that From takes away the wrong lessons from DS2. It would be a shame to see only a few cosmetic throwbacks without some of the mechanical innovations that DS2 experimented with.
Well I see durability as a maximum number of weapon strikes before a bonfire/smith is required. Damage isn't coupled with durability, so it impacts the +0 weapon more than a +15 one. When a new player hits low durability/breaks their weapon either they have a replacement, or they're encouraged to sit at a bonfire/go to a smith and reset the zone. Tie that with differences in approaches for a new player vs experienced player going through an area, and I'm of the opinion that it can be overly punishing while discouraging exploration (especially since that generally means more enemies).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think that falls into the inherent risk/reward of exploration. Eventually it occurs to players that they have the option of using another weapon as a backup (the game encourages you to do this, especially in the DS2 DLC where low-requirement upgraded weapons are lying around for the player to use). Or they can simply evading and running past enemies, averting the problem entirely (barring any equipment breakage bullshit). In this regard it might be a problem unique to Dark Souls 2 since it's overflowing with enemies, where you're forced to deal with enemies eventually.

I'm just speculating though, you could be right. Perhaps it would cause the least headaches to just remove durability altogether.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Foolster41 posted:

Wow. After dying I think nearly literally 30 times, I beat Astorious. I did get hit a few times, but managed to dodge enough. I even somehow managed to break his charge up somehow (with the slow as hell dragontooth club!)

Now I can't get past the monkey mages on the bridge, right after the shortcut.

Hamburger Test posted:

That was the only part where I decided it was ok to use a bow.

There's a certain item hidden just before that area that'll help a lot. It's pretty hilarious, and when used right makes the mages useless.

The item is: The silver pendent

Now I'm at Manus. He's pissed I killed so many of his children. I'm going to meet an old friend(?) and have him help me! When I found him I was like awwww yeah!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

My first souls game was Dark Souls II, loved that and Bloodborne.

For a number of reasons I never played Dark Souls past the Depths. Picked it back up the other day with the goal to finish it before DS III comes out.

It's been an amazing game so far. Really enjoying it. Blighttown wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I will say that far and away the most annoying thing in that area are the mosquito mobs that never stop coming at you, however slowly.

Was on cruise control for most of the bosses, then I got to Ornstein and Smough and was promptly humbled. A few hours of attempts later and I defeated them, without help from Solaire, and I must say that was an incredible boss fight. Anor Londo is just an amazing zone.

Frampt freaking out when I came back with the Lord Vessel was the highlight of the game so far.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 18, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just have to vent; I found out that the guys behind Extra Credits who make interesting videos about game development, narrative, social issues in games etc. also have a sort of Let's Play channel... and they have an ongoing series on one of the guys' first playthrough of Dark Souls! Very exited, I started up the first video and not minutes into it the guy who has played the game previously and is "the expert" says flat out to the new guy that "Melee is probably the worst way to play". Then he makes him pick the Master Key as a starting gift.

How can you be so wrong, internet person. How can you be so wrong?? :negative:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Well, the master key being the best starting gift is fairly uncontroversial, at least. Even after they patched in a way to get it later on, having early access to a bunch of cool stuff still makes way more of a difference than any of the other stuff you can pick.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Lork posted:

Well, the master key being the best starting gift is fairly uncontroversial, at least. Even after they patched in a way to get it later on, having early access to a bunch of cool stuff still makes way more of a difference than any of the other stuff you can pick.

By the time you can get it later you don't have any real use for it, because it's sold by Domnhall after he moves out of the depths, and I don't think the trigger for that is until after you defeat quelaag, so you've already had the chance to get the new londo ruins key, which I think is the "last" door you can use it on.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TimNeilson posted:

By the time you can get it later you don't have any real use for it, because it's sold by Domnhall after he moves out of the depths, and I don't think the trigger for that is until after you defeat quelaag, so you've already had the chance to get the new londo ruins key, which I think is the "last" door you can use it on.

You can set Logan free with the Master Key, but that's it for the rest of the game. It's all a moot point because we all know the best starting item is the Pendant :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the Master Key is a really bad item to start with on you very first playthrough. It both opens up more opportunities to get confused (early Havel, etc.) and makes it so you never learn where keys to stuff actually are (since you never need them) :shrug:

Of course, the "expert" dude also urged the guy to buy the Residence Key because he couldn't remember which doors the Master Key opens. A blind first playthrough is better than a misguided first playthrough damnit.

vvv good catch, I had actually forgotten about him because he sucks vvv

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 18, 2016

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Your Computer posted:

I think the Master Key is a really bad item to start with on you very first playthrough. It both opens up more opportunities to get confused (early Havel, etc.) and makes it so you never learn where keys to stuff actually are (since you never need them) :shrug:

Of course, the "expert" dude also urged the guy to buy the Residence Key because he couldn't remember which doors the Master Key opens. A blind first playthrough is better than a misguided first playthrough damnit.

tbf, the master key doesn't open the door that griggs? is stuck behind in the lower burg, you need the residence key for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lork posted:

Not for your first playthrough it isn't!

• Locked thread