Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

That worked! Thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I gave in and bought it. Two questions: is there any benefit in keeping out-of-season crops and forage? Also, is there any significant penalty for taking your time in game, other than the obvious timed quests? Spring's almost over and I have yet to sample everything I can see and do in the valley. Haven't even been out mining yet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

queserasera posted:

I gave in and bought it. Two questions: is there any benefit in keeping out-of-season crops and forage? Also, is there any significant penalty for taking your time in game, other than the obvious timed quests? Spring's almost over and I have yet to sample everything I can see and do in the valley. Haven't even been out mining yet.

Only reason to save forage/crops outside of bundles is to use them for cooking or as gifts.

And there's no penalty for taking your time in this game. There's a thing that rates your farm at the end of year 2, but CA changed it to be more lenient and so you could repeat it later if you wanted. Otherwise, nothing is really timed in this game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Year 1: Spring 10-12

Still broke, but hopefully that will change soon!

Tomorrow ain't today, though. But that's fine, less time and energy spent watering crops!

That new fishing pole will be a priority since it significantly speeds up fishing.

There's no reason to build wells. Maybe if I could drop people down them, but I can't until someone mods in that functionality.

I actually remember to stay zoomed in all update, other than searching for forage. This flower is important because...

...it's Vincent's birthday and he likes flowers.

I wanna look for bugs, but Mom gets mad when I'm all dirty. It's a tough choice.

Here's Sam in his room. He sometimes jams with Sebastian, I think?

So despite one of my long-term goals being to befriend all the singles to two hearts, I've befriended everyone else instead. Oops!

I do a bit of fishing before I head on over to the mine.

I encounter a lot of slimes and other monsters this trip, and my dinky sword takes forever to kill them. Yeah, I could buy a new sword, but I'm cheap.

You can also see Fiona hit with the slowdown debuff. It's pretty quick but can be annoying.

This bug is annoying and flies all over the screen, usually towards you. They require precise timing and no other distractions to take care of properly. At least they also drop bug meat!

Tracks are nice because they lead to minecarts, which usually have a good amount of coal. I'm pretty sure they only spawn that coal once, though.

Sometimes you'll get this message, which means the floor is full of enemies. These big slimes will split into several smaller slimes.

I try to kill them to find an exit, but there's a ton of them and I end up taking so many hits that I cut my losses and just leave. The penalty for getting KOed is brutal, to the tune of a good chunk of money (irrelevant since we're broke) and a number of random items in our inventory, including even our sword and fishing pole. Not worth the risk.

I then turn all the bug meat I had into bait and call it a day.

Not a bad day overall.

Spring (It's a Big World Outside)

Woo, yet more rain tomorrow!

Living on the Land gives advice I already covered last update.

Sometimes we'll get quests in our mailbox. Unlike those on the board outside Pierre's, these have no time limit and thus can be done at our leisure. There's several that encourage you to explore places and possibly learn more about the characters requesting them.

This one is pretty simple, and in fact the journal text tells you to look south of Marnie's ranch.

All that hard work has finally paid off and now we're going to get a nice payday. One green bean will go to the crop bundle, the rest will be sold at Pierre's.

In the southeastern region of the forest is Robin's axe. It should always be in the same place.

Pelican Town

I like to visit once a week or so to catch up on things, anyway.

I made this GIF at half-speed because apparently my accidental gifting is no accident on my half, but rather some devious plot by Clint to steal my amethyst. Not a big deal since he loves it and I'll inevitably dig up more, but still pretty annoying. Wonder if it's part of the wonky positioning with the mouse or some bug or what.

Upgrading tools costs money and five metal bars. Copper upgrades cost 2000, Iron costs 5000, Gold 10000, and the rare Iridium is 25000. The axe and pick require less hits to break stuff and will break more things, while the hoe and watering can will affect more squares with one action.

I don't have the inventory space to break all my geodes, but I do get some stuff to donate to the museum.

Sometimes you get rewards from donating specific items or a general quantity.

Free Cauliflower seeds are nice, especially nine of them.

I repeat the process, getting a dwarven helmet this time. There are a few dwarven artifacts that you may dig up here and there. You just donate them same as everything else.

The helmet nets me Melon seeds, which are the summer equivalent to Cauliflower, expensive and slow-growing but giving great monetary rewards. Hell yes.

Not a great deal but I go for it anyway. For this type of quest (fishing and mining, as Clint will post similar quests asking for ore), you keep the stuff after the quest is over but you have to actually earn it after accepting the quest. Just having the stuff in your inventory beforehand won't count. Also you don't gain friendship points the way you do with other quests.

Anyway, there's no way I could do this LP without showing this off. Give Abigail Quartz, and...

It's part of her general "I like this item" dialogue, and it's funny enough to not be worth fixing. That, and I like to think of it as a nice callback to the sometimes-bizarre Engrish text of the earlier Harvest Moon games.

Of course, this gets even funnier since this dialogue comes up immediately after.

Anyway, I make mad bank and break 2k gold again. I spend 500 on ten more potato seeds to keep the income flowing.

Anyway, let's give Robin her axe back.

Hey, you found my axe! What a relief... I almost chopped my toe off with the other one I was using. Thank you!

Nice.

I grab one Carp but then catch more garbage/other fish and decide to give up for the day.

Though I do get a couple more fish to drop into bundles.

Then I sell the rest.

Before I plant my new crops, I make some fertilizer out of sap. You should make every opportunity to use some sort of fertilizer since the base one is very cheap and will raise the quality level of your crops. There are other varieties of fertilizer we can make/buy later that also affect crop growth and even whether a crop stays watered overnight.

And we're set for today!

Chest space is already becoming an issue, so I get some more wood to make a second chest. Just keep in mind that once you place a chest, you can't move it unless you empty it first.

I dedicate one chest to crops and various food items. Food doesn't spoil and it doesn't hurt in case someone loves a specific crop for their birthday.

I make some more decent money from fishing. Very nice day, and the first time so far where I'm not feeling stressed out about money. I can actually afford to do stuff now!

So let's seize the next day!

Like the Harvest Moon games, Stardew Valley also has festivals where the whole town gets together to celebrate things, usually two a season. These will take up the rest of your day generally, so get chores done beforehand.

Free money is nice. If you're male, you get the letter from Mom instead. Don't ask me why.

You can't enter the chosen area the festival is in until that time, so tomorrow we won't be able to enter Pelican Town until 9am.

A lone parsnip is ready from my mixed seeds. Might as well save it.

Nothing exciting today at the merchant.

I've got more than enough for the Fiberglass Rod. This thing lets me use bait, which makes fish bite more quickly.

And then I sell stuff I combed from the beach and already make a good chunk of money back.

90 bait should be sufficient for now.

Some of the beach stuff goes into the crab pot bundle. You pretty much need a crab pot to fulfill this unless you get lucky with the traveling merchant, since four of these wash up on the beach.

There's Sebastian wandering around in the rain.

I try giving Sebastian some algae since I figured he'd like such a terrible gift, but apparently not.

I spend most of the day fishing, breaking in the new rod and to try to catch some of the fish that only pop out during the rain.

And of course selling the rest for decent money.

These two are part of the night fish bundle.

The Stardrop Saloon

The saloon is a bit slower than usual since it's raining, but it's still pretty busy.

Heh. Well, um... I'll see you around then?

Leah's a recent outsider artsy-type who lives off by herself, much like Elliott, and Elliott likes fish, right?

Yeah, I'm doing a great job wooing the non-single people, but not so much the actual single people!

Anyway, bundle-wise there's only two more fish I can catch in the Spring. The Sunfish, which is pretty easy and shows up on sunny days, and the Catfish, which is difficult to catch and only shows up when it rains. I may not be able to even catch it until Fall.

But I've put in a lot of time fishing, so let's call it a day.

I gain a new recipe to boost my fishing skill, and the ability to craft crab pots. More on those when I get them, though it won't be awhile since crab pots require iron and I'm still a good ways off from easy access to that.

This doesn't even include the money I made selling to Willy. This rod's already paying for itself!

Next time, we participate in our first festival! Also maybe I'll stop being terrible at making friends with hot young singles.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 21, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So when I cook food it doesn't matter if the ingredients are gold or silver or whatever?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Affi posted:

So when I cook food it doesn't matter if the ingredients are gold or silver or whatever?

Not at all.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I tried to figure out stuff like likes and dislikes on my own and made it...hell, time's a bit of a fuzzy concept for me, maybe a week before I gave up and looked at the wiki. Turns out that rather than laboriously determine everyone's individual tastes, most items are just plunked into "universal" lists and get the same reaction from everyone, and then on occasion one specific character will be flagged as an exception and react differently.

I don't know enough about the guts of the Harvest Moon games and other Harvest Moonalikes to know if that's normal for these games but anyway the point is just about everyone actually hates raw fish. I suppose it makes sense, some chump just trangled up and plopped a slimy, cold meat booger into their hands, acting like s/he was doing them a favor.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

You referred to Sam as Alex in the update there. Also, will you be installing the new patch? It's mostly improvements to spouses, looks like, with follow up patches on that to come.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

yamiaainferno posted:

You referred to Sam as Alex in the update there. Also, will you be installing the new patch? It's mostly improvements to spouses, looks like, with follow up patches on that to come.

Thanks for catching that, I mix those two up all the time and had to fix it at least twice before submitting previous updates. Don't know what it is.

And yeah, I'll be keeping up with updates and will mark in the OP when the patch updates. Shouldn't really affect anything so far since the new patch is bug fixes and adds some new dialogue to marriage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised you didn't spring for the watering can over the fishing pole. I suppose some of it's how much copper you have on hand.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Glazius posted:

I'm surprised you didn't spring for the watering can over the fishing pole. I suppose some of it's how much copper you have on hand.

It's partly that, but I also forgot to mention that it takes a couple days to upgrade tools, so if I want to upgrade my watering can I'll have to wait until it's going to rain the next day so I don't miss watering my crops. Of course, it's not as big a deal going a couple days without the other tools.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Mega64 posted:

It's partly that, but I also forgot to mention that it takes a couple days to upgrade tools, so if I want to upgrade my watering can I'll have to wait until it's going to rain the next day so I don't miss watering my crops. Of course, it's not as big a deal going a couple days without the other tools.

I picked up pretty quick that being without the water can was bad news.
I decided to wait until Winter to upgrade both Watering Can and Hoe.

Three things...

1. When the game is loading and you see Concerned Ape's cat icon, you can click on it to open his eyes.
A very cute touch.

2. :monocle: Linus sent me food in the mail!
I got all sniffely.
:3: Aw. Linus. That's YOUR food. I don't need food!

3. If anyone cares, Concerned Ape did an AMA on Redit.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Grimwit posted:

2. :monocle: Linus sent me food in the mail!
I got all sniffely.
:3: Aw. Linus. That's YOUR food. I don't need food!

Linus usually sends me fish or fish-based food like Sashimi. Linus doesn't like fish, so he's just sending stuff he doesn't want.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This game looks cool, and I liked HM Back to Nature in the day, but I dunno if I wanna plonk down for another game in my backlog.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, most items have a regular, silver, or gold quality. This mainly affects how much they sell for, since higher-quality items sell for slightly more than regular ones.

I believe the amount is base plus half for gold star and base plus quarter for silver stars. So a crop that is 32 to sell normal would be 48 with a gold star and 40 for a silver star.

After running into something in my own game, could I throw a vote for befriend Jas, because she really needs one. :<

Mega64 posted:

I try to kill them to find an exit, but there's a ton of them and I end up taking so many hits that I cut my losses and just leave. The penalty for getting KOed is brutal, to the tune of a good chunk of money (irrelevant since we're broke) and a number of random items in our inventory, including even our sword and fishing pole. Not worth the risk.

You can also lose your memory of the floors you've already cleared if you get KO'd, which is not fun. And there's a chance that the person who finds you will charge you a fee for saving your life... especially if they're from Joja. :arghfist:

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 21, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't Joja just clean out your wallet, pockets, pack and kidneys?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Poil posted:

The tricky thing about Joja is, what they do is technically perfectly legal (from what I've seen). What makes them an interesting villain or villain-like force is that they are an evil inherent to the system.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
A note on fishing and mining quests. If you have the requested item eg. Copper ore, right click it out of a chest into your inventory and it will count. Unless that's changed in the last week.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The tricky thing about Joja is, what they do is technically perfectly legal (from what I've seen). What makes them an interesting villain or villain-like force is that they are an evil inherent to the system.

They seem to be a Walmart stand-in. Their logo even resembles Walmart's.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Cythereal posted:

They seem to be a Walmart stand-in. Their logo even resembles Walmart's.

Perhaps, but as an European I have no idea what makes Walmart special. :v:

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well, to pick a recentish example: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-is-walmart-closing-stores-to-remodel-20150421-column.html

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

paradoxGentleman posted:

Not really special at all if you account for all the businesses which hire people and don't give them a wage. Don't forget the jobs where people die working in it and you have no national outrage when that happens. Hard to collect a check when you are dead. Just that the political Left's narrative is focused on them.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 21, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Was Walmart the company that had a donation drive to get food for their employees?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Linus usually sends me fish or fish-based food like Sashimi. Linus doesn't like fish, so he's just sending stuff he doesn't want.

Nah he likes fish, it just has to be his particular kind of fish. He likes sashimi and also asked me to get him a herring to munch on while watching TV.

On another note sometimes people ask for weird things to also do weird things with. George sent me a message asking for a red snapper to "rub on his legs".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was Walmart the company that had a donation drive to get food for their employees?
Yes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Market District/Giant Eagle has a similar program for its employees. They donate money to employees trying to recover from some financial shock in the family. I don't find fault in GE for thinking about its employees. There will always be people in need of something no matter what you give them.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the employees are forced to live paycheck-to-paycheck and can't save for some financial shock, then yeah, I think that's on the employer to fix instead of getting luckier employees to donate the difference.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Poil posted:

They take a whole bunch of money to 'pay for your treatment'. I woke up with about 200 missing from my almost-empty-anyway wallet. Also lost all memory of 11 floors of the mine... when I'd only gone down 6. I forgot floors that I never even saw before~

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Sloober posted:

On another note sometimes people ask for weird things to also do weird things with. George sent me a message asking for a red snapper to "rub on his legs".

Penny asked for a Bream to rub on her sore ear. :confused:

I just finished year one in my game. Spent the first three months getting up to speed and upgrading tools/getting farm buildings, spent Winter making friends.

EVERYONE GETS MAYONNAISE. Except for the like three people that don't like it.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

dscruffy1 posted:

EVERYONE GETS MAYONNAISE. Except for the like three people that don't like it.

Quoted for truth.

Sometimes, as a test, I'll just go around pelting townsfolk with whatever I happen to harvest that day.
But in the winter time?

EVERYONE GETS MAYONNAISE!!!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Everybody loving loves radishes for some reason. Whatever, I'll invest in melons and corn, plant one or two other things for bundles, then radish the ever-loving bejeezus out of this town.

A copper axe can take out stumps but not logs? :psyduck:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If the employees are forced to live paycheck-to-paycheck and can't save for some financial shock, then yeah, I think that's on the employer to fix instead of getting luckier employees to donate the difference.

While I agree with the above 100%, it's really not a discussion best suited to this thread.

JojaCorp is evil because they're a cartoon. That is all we really need to know, methinks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

While I agree with the above 100%, it's really not a discussion best suited to this thread.

JojaCorp is evil because they're a cartoon. That is all we really need to know, methinks.

You're probably right.

Can't wait until Fiona reaches the final level of the mine, only to find nothing but an automatic door. After some hesitation she enters, and is greeted by the all-too-familiar greeting...

"Welcome to JojaMart!"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

silversatyr posted:

They take a whole bunch of money to 'pay for your treatment'. I woke up with about 200 missing from my almost-empty-anyway wallet. Also lost all memory of 11 floors of the mine... when I'd only gone down 6. I forgot floors that I never even saw before~

You can forget floors from earlier. So you actually lost progress.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You can forget floors from earlier. So you actually lost progress.

Yes... but I'd only gone down 6 total floors. I was on floor 6... and lost 11 floors' worth of memory. It was on a new game and my first forray into the mines on that playthrough. I forgot floors my character never even knew existed. XD

... and then I got charged for it. orz

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 21, 2016

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

The amount you lose is proportional, so the richer you are, the more money you lose. I ran out of health in the mines and lost around 15k once, because I had around 80k-90k when I went in.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do you keep animals happy because God drat they just complain all the time.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Affi posted:

How do you keep animals happy because God drat they just complain all the time.

Feed and pet them, have a heater in the barn during winter.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Pet them each every day. Make sure they have enough food for each one (one piece per animal) and let them outside. Heaters in winter is a good idea, too. It doesn't take much to get their hearts up to full, just time and love, but even then they won't give produce every day for some reason. They won't even give the best stuff every time.

But hey, you can basically just fence off an area with long grass and leave the hutch doors open for them and they'll be fine. Unlike in Harvest Moon games, they will put themselves away and they won't come out during rainy days. It's almost like they have half a brain or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I have to actually give them the food? Man no wonder they've been pissed.

• Locked thread