Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Hello Sailor posted:

Is there a maximum workshop size beyond which the game crashes? I was making 14x14 farm plots bordered by 10x10 workshops, housing, and offices, but whenever I try making them 14x14, the game goes down.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been taking a very short busman's holiday in Berlin. There shouldn't be a maximum workshop size but I'll take a look at it. Which workshop is crashing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It was the lower-class housing. 12x12 worked fine and actually works out better for logistics anyway.

It also crashes on attempting to load once I've had things going for a few hours, both of the times I've attempted that. However, that's probably to be expected at this point in development.

The first of those two games was a DF-fun story. I'd gotten up to about 50 pop, but hadn't put up a metalworks yet and had just started training a second military squad equipped with weapons looted from bandits when I get the message that the French are attacking and here's some landmines to put in their path. I didn't have the faintest idea where they were coming from, so I just spread the mines around the town perimeter where I didn't have gabions up yet. No one places any of them in time, anyway. I get five or so messages about an enemy unit spawning and see a whole mess of floating rifles heading straight for my housing. My first military squad is quickly gunned down, along with everyone in the housing. Eventually, my second squad are the only survivors, because the browncoat leader turned and ran. The game offers me five new overseers to boost my population from 2 to 7 and they pretty much spend their time hauling corpses for the next few days.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

nvining posted:

There shouldn't be a maximum workshop size but I'll take a look at it. Which workshop is crashing?
I'm wondering if it's trying to render the roof that does it? CE only has these pyramid like roofs, right?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alpha 48B is up:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-48b-now-in-experimental-branch.17065/

If you get a save game which crashes on loading, send it my way please. That sounds like a very bad bug and one we should fix sooner rather than later. (48B only.)

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
just tried the new version, I like the crop changes, but i just had a bad bug.
I was growing a field of wheat, and ran into some bad luck with the bulls killing some of my overseers, running out of food, and then when I think the wheat is going to finish and solve my problems, NOPE. console pops up with a bunch of stuff, sorry I didnt copy it down, no harvest, wheat field back to zero.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Why would you bother reporting a nondescript bug like that without at least taking a screenshot?

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Why would you bother reporting a nondescript bug like that without at least taking a screenshot?

I just got pissed and pressed the x too quick. The wheat field finishing its grow cycle and just broke.

happened again, now everyone is going to starve to death.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Every time I see nil causing a problem in my or anyone else's code I want to go pick up Tony Hoare and take him on another cross country tour to beg all language designers to stop using that ridiculous loving concept already.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
See, this is the stuff I don't see because... this time around I went with 100% pumpkins, as they do everything (basic food, quality food, basic drink). Also, my intuition and checking the numbers suggests wheat would be less efficient than pumpkin. Whoops~

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
This version is pretty crash-happy, but one issue I've had several times is with Barbershops.

Building a Barbershop is A-ok, but if I try to open the workshop window for it, my game crashes.

Also, I like the new UI, but when you open the Workcrew Menu, if you expand a few, then collapse, your topmost crew will be expanded but you can't see the collapse button - the window is scrolled down but you can't scroll up. No scrollbar.

Also, we still don't have a handy zoom to colonist or zoom to event. Like when somebody catches on GODDAMNED FIRE and I can't find them.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All of these issues are quite neatly solved with the careful and steady application of fancy hats.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Fixed a bunch of crashes and other stuff in Alpha 48C. Changelog here:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-48c-now-in-experimental-branch.17077/#post-111501

Anybody having problems still, send me those DMP files. Let's get this damned thing stable again.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
For the first time ever, I was able to bend my production specifically to cater to trade, rather than just trying to foist random crap from my stockpile on passing Merchants. Things were humming along nicely, and my carpenters had some free time on their hands, so I ordered them to crank out multiple pallets of crude wooden chairs, specifically to exchange for foreign goods. So many chairs. I eventually traded something like 20 chairs for a variety of lacquer, iron and copper components. Ironically, chairs are otherwise rare in my colony. The barbershop has three, and the chapel (when I get around to building one) will eventually have a couple, but otherwise, there will be no decadent foreign seating in my colony.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 9, 2016

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'd like to be able to ban filthy peasant butts from sitting in my fine gilded chairs.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'd like to be able to ban filthy peasant butts from sitting in my fine gilded chairs.

In a related matter, I have filthy peasants sleeping in middle-class beds, which has two effects:

1) The lower class sleepers enjoy their comfy sleep, but they also become slightly fearful, because of the majesty or something.
2) The middle class sleepers have to sleep in filthy peasant cots, which makes them less happy.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I caught up on this thread after being out of town for awhile right before bed last night, and then had dreams in which the Clockwork Empires music was playing. What the hell, guys?!

e: playing on the experimental branch, poo poo has gotten a lot better again! However, killing Giant Beetles (and possibly smaller bettles) is rewarding me with buckets of lacquer, is this intended behavior?

again: What do I need to put into a Barber Shop in order for it to work? I think the last time I actually constructed one was like 10 or 15 builds ago, and at that time they would cause my game to crash within half a day of their completion.

Right now I'm going with a chair or two and a barber pole on the outside.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 10, 2016

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

LonsomeSon posted:

e: playing on the experimental branch, poo poo has gotten a lot better again! However, killing Giant Beetles (and possibly smaller bettles) is rewarding me with buckets of lacquer, is this intended behavior?

again: What do I need to put into a Barber Shop in order for it to work? I think the last time I actually constructed one was like 10 or 15 builds ago, and at that time they would cause my game to crash within half a day of their completion.

Historically, beetles were indeed a source of shellac and lacquer. Lacquer is now used to make fancy lacquered planks in the Chemistry Works, which, in turn, is used to make fancy modules and stuff.

Barbershops should work as-is, I believe, but throw a chair or two in there just in case I'm wrong.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Zaardvark posted:

Barbershops should work as-is, I believe, but throw a chair or two in there just in case I'm wrong.
One chair. Person who needs to be healed sits in the chair, barber fixes them.

Zaardvark posted:

In a related matter, I have filthy peasants sleeping in middle-class beds, which has two effects:

1) The lower class sleepers enjoy their comfy sleep, but they also become slightly fearful, because of the majesty or something.
2) The middle class sleepers have to sleep in filthy peasant cots, which makes them less happy.
Yep for that reason I end up with nothing but Practical Single Beds to ensure my overseers gets a good bed. It's sorta dumb, but well once you'd got it down, you get the benefit.

nvining
May 30, 2011

The Overworld is Coming:

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2016/03/16/the-overworld/

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alpha 48D is now in the experimental branch. Alpha 49 should be up shortly; this is mainly a smoke build for Alpha 49 to make sure we didn't bust anything.

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-48d-is-now-in-the-experimental-branch-on-steam.17097/#post-111659

If you are getting crashes on startup, or on the Embark screen, please send me DMPs immediately! I would like to figure out why this isn't working for some users (it's probably video card drivers.)

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Alpha 49, "The Joy of Work" is out!

This is one of our biggest patches so far, with a ton of UI, farming, trading changes. We've also been working on the overworld though you won't see it just yet.

Changelog: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2016/03/18/clockwork-empires-march-update-the-joy-of-work/

Daynab fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 18, 2016

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

nvining posted:

There shouldn't be a maximum workshop size but I'll take a look at it. Which workshop is crashing?
Hopefully this has been fixed.

Due to the way CE extrudes the roofs, making squares is the most efficient way to make tall buildings (they will be pyramids basically). If possible I want to try making an 18x18 house (fits 72 beds!)

Should be:
Pyramid: 54 planks, 22 bricks
Beds: 144 planks (if all cots)
Decor: 78 planks (+36 glass for glass windows)

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 19, 2016

nvining
May 30, 2011

Hotfix 49A now on Steam:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-49a-suddenly-a-hotfix.17114/#post-111801

This is in both the default and experimental branches, and fixes a number of issues with 49 as well as a nasty bug plagueing users who couldn't start a new game on their machines.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hey Nicholas, I've seen two Twitch streamers say the same thing about the game: The tutorial sucks! After watching one, Sirtwiggy, try to go through it I have to agree with him. It needs serious rework done to do, or at least a disclaimer in red text that information in it may be outdated.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I don't mean to pile on in a nasty way. But the game at least at the start is way way too slow. Apparently it was a design decision to not allow a speed up option, but in its current state, I could not recommend it to friends simply because of the slowness. The concept looks really good and interesting, absolutely.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You absolutely should be piling on nvining and crew with your feedback, negative or otherwise. This kind of feedback is important and good and ultimately Gaslamp will decide whats worthwhile taking to heart and not.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
In order to have a speed up option you need to make sure your AI can handle it. I have seen several games add a speedup without make sure their AI can handle it and have ended up with the AI being pants-on-head stupid while sped up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Banished does it, Gnomoria does it, pretty sure Rimworld does it. I realize that none of these games are Clockwork Empires, and perhaps they cannot speed up their game without re-writing it from the ground up. I'm saying that the game takes way longer in literal time to develop than those games do.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I do agree the start seems awfully slow.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Lorini posted:

I don't mean to pile on in a nasty way. But the game at least at the start is way way too slow. Apparently it was a design decision to not allow a speed up option, but in its current state, I could not recommend it to friends simply because of the slowness. The concept looks really good and interesting, absolutely.

I don't entirely disagree, but the question is: as opposed to what? The start of Dwarf Fortress is also pretty dang slow, for instance.

And yes, on a technical level it is purely the AI. On a more general level, the hope is always that what people are doing is interesting enough that you are watching it in standard speed out of interest. Banished's AI is not a fair comparison, as we do significantly more processing per AI character than they do. Ditto Rimworld. Not sure about Gnomoria.

(Feedback is always welcome! We do reserve the right to filter it and figure out a) what the problem really is and b) how to fix the problem, which may not be the suggestion given by users. Doing exactly what your users tell you to do gives you the Product Death Cycle: http://andrewchen.co/this-is-the-product-death-cycle-why-it-happens-and-how-to-break-out-of-it/ - so we try to avoid that. But we do pay attention. Crash reports and bug fixes are also welcome.)

Is there a copy of the tutorial-issue stream online? I can fire it at the right person.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The stream isnt technically done yet but the VOD will be up when SirTwiggy is finished.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The stream isnt technically done yet but the VOD will be up when SirTwiggy is finished.

Well, something seems to be up. I'm watching it now, and taking notes...

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I do agree the start seems awfully slow.

On the flip-side I wish the game stayed that slow, in my opinion the game ramps up really fast really quick. I imagine I could keep it kind of slow by rejecting workers, but why the hell would I do that? Thats like getting a dialogue that says "Would you like you colony to be better? Yes/No?"

In my opinion the biggest pain in the rear end is housing, or rather trying to make enough enormous 7x11 lower-class bunkhouses or tiny 5x5 middle-class houses so that nobody has to sleep on the floor.

Otherwise I love this game and try to play every new release.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm going to video a start and then maybe you can see what's going on. It could easily be I'm not optimizing my start in some way but I'm doing the best I can :).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The start in DF is less boring because dwarves are a lot faster than colonists (unless you're playing on a really old toaster). Also you usually have a lot lower percentage of dwarves just idling when there are jobs to do. Lazy bums, more than one person can do a task! :argh:

The weirdest speedup function I've ever encountered was in Settlers 3, pressing f11 skipped ahead one minute. Obviously it only worked in singleplayer but it was pretty much instant. You didn't explore the map when you did however so if you had scouts/thieves or soldiers out walking there would be gaps of unexplored terrain.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 22, 2016

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I also think the opening of a new game can potentially hit patches of slowness, where a player has nothing to do but wait for colonists to slowly complete assigned tasks, and in that situation, the game will be uneventful and by extension boring.

It is certainly possible for a player to be fully occupied in those first couple of days, (except at nights, when idleness and boredom will definitely set in), but the odds are against it, particularly for a new player. I am often so busy in the first couple of days that I have to pause the game, but then again, I am a weird and obsessive superfan.

New players will almost certainly attempt to build multiple things simultaneously - typically both the Carpentry and Kitchen for starters, or worse, a Carpentry and Lower Class House (worse because the House is less vital than the Kitchen, and it also does not contribute to the 'busy-ness' of the average colonist when complete). This means time to completion is doubled for both buildings, which in turn means more time waiting and less time doing things. It would take the same amount of time to complete one, and then the other, and in that case, you'll be able to actually use the Carpentry in half the time.

Case in point: In SirTwiggy's stream, at the end of a full hour of play, he has one and a half buildings constructed: https://www.twitch.tv/sirtwiggy/v/55949263

Compare that to a more experienced player (Robust Theory), who accomplishes more in half the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPtSi_gq8fY

(Or, ahem, myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQVZo5Szks)

If I had to wait a hour to begin construction on my kitchen, I'd be bored too. I suppose that's a mixture of experience and optimization.

There's also a level of mental busywork that will only be a consideration after you have some hours under your belt - where am I positioning the colony with respect to resources? Have I looked at the Traits and Attributes of the colonists? Which one is best suited for farming? in other words, thinking about the future.

But at present, that sort of knowledge comes only from experience, and I think the average new player is going to try to tackle colony construction by building as much as possible, simultaneously, a la Starcraft.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 22, 2016

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Zaardvark posted:

This means time to completion is doubled for both buildings, which in turn means more time waiting and less time doing things. It would take the same amount of time to complete one, and then the other, and in that case, you'll be able to actually use the Carpentry in half the time.

Wait, is it possible to have more than one work crew constructing a given building? Or are you dumping all/most of your peons into the workcrew of the builder? Or something else?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lorini posted:

Banished does it, Gnomoria does it, pretty sure Rimworld does it. I realize that none of these games are Clockwork Empires, and perhaps they cannot speed up their game without re-writing it from the ground up. I'm saying that the game takes way longer in literal time to develop than those games do.

The Banished AI can't put out a fire or loving feed itself properly, so I don't think it's going to take much of a hit when you speed it up.

Also I don't know what world you live in, but Banished takes way too long to get anywhere, and when it finally gets somewhere it's basically gone nowhere. If you think the speed of that is fine but this isn't then your pants might be on your head.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Wait, is it possible to have more than one work crew constructing a given building? Or are you dumping all/most of your peons into the workcrew of the builder? Or something else?
Probably the resource collecting. Early on it's easy to get caught by needing to mine stone and (perhaps) haul it if you make large buildings. Some of us make rather small buildings using only a couple blocks, but if you make larger ones it can add up fast.

If you have the materials, certainly micromanaging a bit so the building group (ie: Gather Building Materials) has more people will speed it up. Early on when you only have a few lower-class this can be important for the first house especially.

Zaardvark posted:

Case in point: In SirTwiggy's stream, at the end of a full hour of play, he has one and a half buildings constructed: https://www.twitch.tv/sirtwiggy/v/55949263

Compare that to a more experienced player (Robust Theory), who accomplishes more in half the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPtSi_gq8fY

(Or, ahem, myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQVZo5Szks)

If I had to wait a hour to begin construction on my kitchen, I'd be bored too. I suppose that's a mixture of experience and optimization.
Yeah. Though 30 mins (say about 3 days) or so is enough that people start going pretty hungry...

Not only is there is need for food, the sleeping thing in particular is troublesome. Colonists start becoming unhappy and working less, and then they "Felt Tired" and outright strike. Compounding this is that it can be hard to get more colonists without knowing what exactly to push.

I take about 4-5 days to get the basics done (carpentry, kitchen, super decored sleeping, then mines, ceramics). Even then a lot of days 3-5 are spent nothing-ing as a number of colonists are taking their happiness related breaks which really really cuts you. (Or you micromanage and use new overseers to swap out... but you probably wouldn't have them if you weren't spamming plank* production)

*Now that I think about it, your early Carpentry use is what gets you those critical first few new overseers who can take over for the timespan before you have your beds under control.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the up shot to banished is that the game is polished to a loving mirror sheen and 95%+ of people that play it never have a single issue whatsoever

the drawback is that the tech tree is so shallow in the game that you find yourself repeating known good setups very, very quickly and a town of 1000+ people looks very much like a dizzying expanse of the same stuff all the time

that said, i have over 35 hours played in banished so if it sounds like i'm calling the game bad bear in mind that i'm very much not

but nvining is right that the comparison isn't valid

• Locked thread