Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Robbie Collins - The Telegraph
"Rather than opting to mimic the colour, warmth and wit of the Marvel superhero franchise, Snyder wants to show us gods and monsters, battling against a backdrop of lightning and smoke. Every other scene is a murky allusion to classical mythology or baroque religious art."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i think there is both room for competent, if risk adverse, success and spectacular failure in movies but i'm not sure the people bankrolling these things feel the same way

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

NecroMonster posted:

i think there is both room for competent, if risk adverse, success and spectacular failure in movies but i'm not sure the people bankrolling these things feel the same way

Man of Steel was profitable before a single red cent rolled in from the box office, so clearly there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Though I'm sure that the way Disney has its vertical integration in the MCU strategy means they're making way the hell loving more money than even that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Judakel posted:

New reviews are sounding much more positive:

Is... this fake? I'm confused.

This does remind me, though, that Man of Steel has a 20% higher audience rating than critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes (and Metacritic too, oddly). I generally don't care about review aggregates, but I do think it's an interesting sign when the user reviews are significantly out of whack with what the critics say. I wonder how BvS will be in that regard.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Darko posted:

"Rather than opting to mimic the colour, warmth and wit of the Marvel superhero franchise, Snyder wants to show us gods and monsters, battling against a backdrop of lightning and smoke. Every other scene is a murky allusion to classical mythology or baroque religious art."

This is a positive review, right? Or at least positive about the aesthetics, which is probably one thing this has going for it.

people seem to hate that while marvel earned some big moronic crossover with like 10 or so films of worldbuilding, BvS just crams a new universe into 2 movies and I guess that's what breaks it up. though personally I loving hate the whole "800 films to build up towards a thing" so gently caress comicbook movies all in all

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Much like Trump and anti establishment resentment in politics, we are finding the same in film critics and the audience. We just need to find our Sanders/Trumps who will make movie reviews great again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

This is a positive review, right? Or at least positive about the aesthetics, which is probably one thing this has going for it.

people seem to hate that while marvel earned some big moronic crossover with like 10 or so films of worldbuilding, BvS just crams a new universe into 2 movies and I guess that's what breaks it up. though personally I loving hate the whole "800 films to build up towards a thing" so gently caress comicbook movies all in all

Kind of. That review seems to basically be saying that everything is visual and nobody actually gives any textual motivation, etc. and everything is weird.

This movie sounds like 300 to me (which was also reviewed hugely negatively) as I'm reading through negative reviews.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

That's exactly why it's a misleading, dangerous power fantasy. There are worse things that you can do to someone (as you say, killing or putting them in a coma) but that doesn't make breaking someone's leg a 'good' option that's really morally defensible.

I live in Australia, where we've had a rash of people die from getting punched in the head by a skinny drunk guy, then hitting their head on the pavement. Beating people up has horrible consequences, and constantly skirting around them or writing 'but then his shattered ACL, MCL and LCL healed and he realised the error of his ways' is a total cop out.

I've discussed this already. While sometimes it's just glossing over the effect violence has for no particular reason, a lot of the time glossing over it is so it doesn't dominate everything else they're trying to do with the themes and characters of the fiction. As for the moral implications, I think that's too complex a topic to be done, no pun intended, justice in this thread.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I really can't argue with this. I mean they are obviously made in different eras but otherwise you're spot-on.

The dilemma is that, in today's cultural climate, people cannot imagine 'fun' outside the confines of the unregulated free market. The state exists in the Marvel films either to defend the free market or to be abolished.

Of course, most people are not libertarians - and that is why the nerd media is invariably confounded when a movie like Man Of Steel doesn't lose billions of dollars.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 23, 2016

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Judakel posted:

New reviews are sounding much more positive:

fixed that for you :)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It's weird doing a team-up movie as a build up to your team-up movie.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

breaking news: it just went down to 40%

more as it happens, now back to you thread

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

NecroMonster posted:

breaking news: it just went down to 40%

more as it happens, now back to you thread

Thanks, NecroMonster. You stay safe out there. In lighter news -

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Thor doesn't do anything in that scene, his hammer does, as your grammar implies.

Here are the things Thor does in Age of Ultron:

1) Wakes up Vision, walking macguffin who also does nothing in this movie and exists only for future ones
2) Goes to some pool we've never heard about before and sees the future maybe?

Thor acts through his hammer. The hammer helps to define the hero. Through his hammer we are told that Steve is more noble and 'worthy' than anyone else besides Thor. His hammer helps foreshadow the divide between the moral and idealistic Steve against the others, who are not worthy and are more cynical of the world and themselves.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm gonna be handing out heavy probations in here if you people can't have a civil loving discussion. People are allowed to like movies you don't like.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, but people who claim other people's opinions as their own opinions are dumb imo. :colbert:

I'm probably going to like BvS. A percentage number should not pre-determine anyones thoughts.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

If it's anything like Man of Steel or Watchmen, I think I'll really enjoy it, I'd be interested to hear some reviews from critics who liked Snyder's previous work.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
On top of the usual meaninglessness, the score's been jumping up and and down by 50%. Maybe it's dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

On top of the usual meaninglessness, the score's been jumping up and and down by 50%. Maybe it's dumb.

Par for the course for a Snyder crafted film really. Always such a divisive deviant.

[edit] Sorry, I was perusing twitter and wanted to post how statuesque Gal Gadot looks on the red carpet UK premiere :allears:

https://twitter.com/WarnerBrosUK/status/712360482116648960

At the very least, I'm glad that I'm hearing from people who were lukewarm on the film say that Gal was really one of the big highlights of the film. That bodes well for her solo WW venture.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

The thing is, the implication is that wrecking someone's arm or leg doesn't destroy them mentally, and doesn't count as destroying them physically is loving weird. This is anecdotal, but a couple of years ago, my martial arts instructor suffered a pretty horrific knee injury in a training accident. He turned into a bitter, angry control freak in less than a year, and drove away pretty much everyone and running a business he'd spent a decade building into the ground. That's someone with a support network, in a country with excellent medical standards, and support from the military. His minimum physical recovery was 18 months, but it ended up being way longer, and he'll never be at 100% again. That's from an accident. Not a vigilante commando slamming him through a wall. Severe physical injuries leave horrible mental scars and it's weird that you're distinguishing the two so much.

This is a big reason why "NEVER KILLS EVER" is a really stupid quirk for a character focused on being a depressed, cynical, emotionless husk of a man who brutalizes law offenders. That's not to say it doesn't belong; it makes sense if used intentionally to show Batman is a broken and childish ego. The Dark Knight uses it well, in that tge climax of the movie involves him putting faith in criminals to be good people, nonviolently disarm the police, and become a pariah for not having faith in Harvey.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

What I like about Snyders movies is how contentious they are. It leads to two camps that viciously defend their position. The discussion is fascinating.

Nobody bothers debating the merits of Marvel movies because they're childish movies for idiots.

On the contrary, people argue about every Marvel movie, and I guarantee you everyone has a "..except this movie, which is good." To an extent that every movie is respected and considered to have depth.

....except Iron Man 2.

Darko posted:

Winter Soldier and Iron Man 3 are really the only ones with enough depth to debate. Guardians takes some steps towards that, but turns around and says "don't take this too seriously," which kind of messes that up.

Most of the movies are expertly crafted very well to not drive anyone's emotions anywhere except chuckles and enjoying seeing a character doing something.

Civil War may provide that debate simply due to its nature, however.

Comedy and depth are not mutually exclusive, and self-deprecation to the level Whedon uses in his stories can develop characters as unheroic, vulnerable, lacking in confidence, etcetera.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
E: first dubba post!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Martman posted:

Is... this fake? I'm confused.

This does remind me, though, that Man of Steel has a 20% higher audience rating than critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes (and Metacritic too, oddly). I generally don't care about review aggregates, but I do think it's an interesting sign when the user reviews are significantly out of whack with what the critics say. I wonder how BvS will be in that regard.

The nature of fan reviews means that the only people to go out of their way to visit the site and write a review either really likes it or really hates it (which is why most sites have adopted the upvote/downvote system).

Even if you like Man Of Steel, you have to admit that it doesn't inspire much emotion, let alone hatred.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The dilemma is that, in today's cultural climate, people cannot imagine 'fun' outside the confines of the unregulated free market. The state exists in the Marvel films either to defend the free market or to be abolished.

Of course, most people are not libertarians - and that is why the nerd media is invariably confounded when a movie like Man Of Steel doesn't lose billions of dollars.

It's always been a small dream of mine to be able to parse meaning from an SMG post.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mostly joking, but maybe kinda serious idea: someone do a kickerstarter or gofundme or whatever the hell it is to buy ZACK SNYDER off of the JL movie(s). WHATEVER IT TAKES, no price is too high. Get anybody else instead. Film experience optional. Possibile replacements off the top of my head: George Lucas, George Soros, Michael Moore, Barack Obama, Raul Castro, LeBron James. Anybody but Zack Snyder.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The principal emotion Man of Steel inspires is "oh hell yes".

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Arkane posted:

Mostly joking, but maybe kinda serious idea: someone do a kickerstarter or gofundme or whatever the hell it is to buy ZACK SNYDER off of the JL movie(s). WHATEVER IT TAKES, no price is too high. Get anybody else instead. Film experience optional. Possibile replacements off the top of my head: George Lucas, George Soros, Michael Moore, Barack Obama, Raul Castro, LeBron James. Anybody but Zack Snyder.

This is dumb but I do wonder if these negative reviews are going to cause WB to move on from Snyder after JL.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

Even if you like Man Of Steel, you have to admit that it doesn't inspire much emotion, let alone hatred.

Several years' worth of discourse on Man of Steel says otherwise!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel like I totally missed something in MoS, because I thought it was worth my time, but not great. The amount of passionate lovers and haters of MoS on this forum really confuses me, because I thought it was a really well-shot, but ultimately okay film. I can't understand feeling strongly enough about it to actively hate it or claim it is the best comic movie ever.

Henry Cavil is like the ultimate blank-slate / meh actor for me.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 23, 2016

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

The principal emotion Man of Steel inspires is "oh hell yes".

I find it's more like "this is depressing. And boring. And makes no sense"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Yaws posted:

It's always been a small dream of mine to be able to parse meaning from an SMG post.

It's really not that hard.

Yaws posted:

This is dumb but I do wonder if these negative reviews are going to cause WB to move on from Snyder after JL.

First off, 40% on RT is seriously not that bad in the grand scheme of things. If it stayed at the 11% we started our little meter-watching at then maybe, but as it stands Paramount is still BEGGING Bay to direct Transformers movies despite their score because they just make that much (and I'm not using that as an insult against Bay, just that he typically scores low.)

As long as BvS keeps rolling in the cash the same way MoS did I doubt WB is going to care. I mean, after all, how much does Marvel care about The Dark World and Age of Ultron?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Henry Csvil is like the ultimate blank-slate / meh actor for me.

Uhh, that title belongs to Sam Worthington, and I'm saying that as a huge Avatar/James Cameron fanboy. Cavill was fun and good in The Man from UNCLE imo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Arkane posted:

Maybe buy yourself a soul.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

teagone posted:

Uhh, that title belongs to Sam Worthington, and I'm saying that as a huge Avatar/James Cameron fanboy. Cavill was fun and good in The Man from UNCLE imo.

Who was that dude who played the protagonist in Tron Legacy? Because it's actually him.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Darko posted:

I read that review. In context I don't think that was meant as a criticism. Just before it he says Man of Steel was superb.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Arkane posted:

We could have had a George Miller Justice League film once upon a time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

The nature of fan reviews means that the only people to go out of their way to visit the site and write a review either really likes it or really hates it (which is why most sites have adopted the upvote/downvote system).
Lots of movies on Rotten Tomatoes have very close critic and audience scores; I don't really see why the effect you're talking about would naturally make the scores different when RT is effectively such an upvote/downvote system.

quote:

No, I don't, and it does. Definitely far more emotion than literally any of the Marvel movies, at the very least.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

We could have had a George Miller Justice League film once upon a time.

Didn't they say he was EP'ing Justice League?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

justdan posted:

I find it's more like "this is depressing. And boring. And makes no sense"

Ugh, this alien babe is killing an entire platoon of soldiers with her bare hands. Wake me back up when there's some quips

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ferrinus posted:

Ugh, this alien babe is killing an entire platoon of soldiers with her bare hands. Wake me back up when there's some quips

"Wake me up when the tension is nigh-unbearable," the nerd says as a doomsday machine begins to transform Earth into a suitable environment for a race of preprogrammed automatons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Interestingly, the average score has gone up slightly even as the percentage of positive reviews has gone down.

• Locked thread