Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

It's always been a small dream of mine to be able to parse meaning from an SMG post.

It's only three sentences. I can clarify anything that you don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Ugh, this alien babe is killing an entire platoon of soldiers with her bare hands. Wake me back up when there's some quips

Oh, I vaguely remember that scene...now that you mention it. As I said, boring.

And I see you're one of those highly creative "you don't like DC movies because ur a Marvel fanboy". Nice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

It's always been a small dream of mine to be able to parse meaning from an SMG post.

Enjoyment is defined (culturally) in a way that celebrates a certain type of ideology. Specifically the college student style enjoyment of "let's be sarcastic and ironic but also blow up a bunch of stuff".

In previous eras, there were different enjoyable films that did not do this. For example, Lawrence of Arabia is very enjoyable without witty sarcasm. There is action spectacle but it's again approached in a different manner.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's only three sentences. I can clarify anything that you don't understand.

Cool!

How the hell does Marvel movies represent the Free Market/Libertarianism? How does MoS differ from them in that regard?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

justdan posted:

Oh, I vaguely remember that scene...now that you mention it. As I said, boring.

And I see you're one of those highly creative "you don't like DC movies because ur a Marvel fanboy". Nice.

Am I wrong, though? Am I wrong. I am not. You didn't even deny it, you were too busy being like oh... that scene... that BORING scene... YAWN... s-sorry, did you see me yawn, you might've been looking the other way, hang on, I'll do it again-

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
For my money, the most distinctive and successful aspect of Man of Steel is in the unabashed, played-totally-straight power fantasy. The heroes and villains are just awesomely, massively strong and no expense is spared in underlining the cataclysmic scope and import of the forces they're throwing around. First we're shown how incredibly important it is for Superman to restrain and conceal himself, then we're given a series of really transparent excuses for Superman to go totally HAM and the result is the only proper Dragon Ball Z live action movie we're likely to ever get. (Though the final fight could've been done better)

Meanwhile, Avengers is like a... rightness fantasy, or acceptance fantasy, or something? The payoff tends to be that our heroes aren't dumb and crazy like their enemies, or prove themselves to be legitimate and popular despite initial skepticism, and the actual laser beams and super punches are afterthoughts.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

computer parts posted:

Enjoyment is defined (culturally) in a way that celebrates a certain type of ideology. Specifically the college student style enjoyment of "let's be sarcastic and ironic but also blow up a bunch of stuff".

In previous eras, there were different enjoyable films that did not do this. For example, Lawrence of Arabia is very enjoyable without witty sarcasm. There is action spectacle but it's again approached in a different manner.

Bad choice, Lawrence of Arabia is full of sarcasm, it's like his main characteristic.

To quote TV Tropes: "Lawrence, Ali, Auda, Allenby, Dryden and Bentley are all quite handy with sarcasm and droll putdowns. Ali and Auda's first meeting is an epic piece of Snark-to-Snark Combat."

I'd find a real source but I'm lazy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Goffer posted:

Bad choice, Lawrence of Arabia is full of sarcasm, it's like his main characteristic.

To quote TV Tropes: "Lawrence, Ali, Auda, Allenby, Dryden and Bentley are all quite handy with sarcasm and droll putdowns. Ali and Auda's first meeting is an epic piece of Snark-to-Snark Combat."

I'd find a real source but I'm lazy

If that's his main characteristic it's confined to like the first 15 minutes of the movie. By the time he meets up with Obi-Wan he's more "disrespectful of the chain of command", but not sarcastic.

Though I suppose not many people would be quippy after being raped (maybe Tony Stark).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

If that's his main characteristic it's confined to like the first 15 minutes of the movie.

Though I suppose not many people would be quippy after being raped (maybe Tony Stark).

Whats the minimum amount of Time Snarking needed for a movie to be counted as a Garbage Depthless Sarcasm Pit

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Well, I for one am waiting for my favorite reviewer to...

quote:

The Dark Knight, RETURNS with a BANG, BOOM, POW; Wonder Woman arrives, fashionably late as you’d expect from the world’s most iconic and coolest female superhero; but this emerging Superman may have you humming, “will the REAL Man of Steel, please stand-up.”

Ok.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
drat, a 41% RT score? Everyone knew this movie was going to be poo poo but you'd think they would've at least given it over 60% out of pity.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

computer parts posted:

This just doesn't seem especially true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

Whats the minimum amount of Time Snarking needed for a movie to be counted as a Garbage Depthless Sarcasm Pit

What's Iron Man 2's duration again?

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This just doesn't seem especially true.

Or maybe it does.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Immortan posted:

drat, a 41% RT score? Everyone knew this movie was going to be poo poo but you'd think they would've at least given it over 60% out of pity.

The number of people that fail to grasp that Rotten Tomatoes merely aggregates reviews is so aggregating.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Am I wrong, though? Am I wrong. I am not. You didn't even deny it, you were too busy being like oh... that scene... that BORING scene... YAWN... s-sorry, did you see me yawn, you might've been looking the other way, hang on, I'll do it again-

I am amazed at the stupidity on display here.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Judakel posted:

The number of people that fail to grasp that Rotten Tomatoes merely aggregates reviews is so aggregating.

I know? This doesn't change my point.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

computer parts posted:

Or maybe it does.

Fury Road and Dredd are fun, enjoyable movies. People enjoy Man of Steel. SMG's original post is confusing because he made that claim about the ideology and whatnot, but at the same time implied that a lot of people had fun with Man of Steel. He made two inconsistent claims.

I don't see why enjoying a movie is necessarily ideological.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

computer parts posted:

If that's his main characteristic it's confined to like the first 15 minutes of the movie. By the time he meets up with Obi-Wan he's more "disrespectful of the chain of command", but not sarcastic.

You did say "For example, Lawrence of Arabia is very enjoyable without witty sarcasm."

The "very enjoyable" parts of Laurence of Arabia are when he is being sarcastic and witty and droll - unless you find the rape and the murdering and despair parts 'enjoyable'.

If it were just the second act you wouldn't call LoA enjoyable at all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Immortan posted:

I know? This doesn't change my point.

So you thought some reviewers would check the RT score and rig their own reviews to keep it over 60% out of pity? It just aggregates how many "positive" scores there are and shows you the percentage, so still not clear what you mean.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Goffer posted:

You did say "For example, Lawrence of Arabia is very enjoyable without witty sarcasm."

The "very enjoyable" parts of Laurence of Arabia are when he is being sarcastic and witty and droll - unless you find the rape and the murdering and despair parts 'enjoyable'.

If it were just the second act you wouldn't call LoA enjoyable at all.

Enjoyable is oft used to say entertaining.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Goffer posted:

The "very enjoyable" parts of Laurence of Arabia are when he is being sarcastic and witty and droll

If that were true, most people would leave after 15 minutes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I take critic reviews of comic book movies with a grain of salt. One critic thought BvS was a sequel to the Christopher Nolan trilogy.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Judakel posted:

Enjoyable is oft used to say entertaining.

computer parts posted:

If that were true, most people would leave after 15 minutes.

I'm not a film critic but I'm pretty sure there is more to film than just the amount of enjoyment and entertainment to be wrung out of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Correct if I'm wrong, but a poor critical reception has never been a reliable way to measure the success of a movie, right?

From what I've seen of the reviews everything seems to be within the usual parameters for a Snyder movie and yet, everyone is claiming DC is done and that the movie will bomb.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I said come in! posted:

I take critic reviews of comic book movies with a grain of salt. One critic thought BvS was a sequel to the Christopher Nolan trilogy.

Well, thats just comic books. Even people who mean well are gonna wonder What Counts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Goffer posted:

I'm not a film critic but I'm pretty sure there is more to film than just the amount of enjoyment and entertainment to be wrung out of it.

Yeah, but audiences still enjoyed the film. That's what we're discussing, the mass market enjoyment.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Correct if I'm wrong, but a poor critical reception has never been a reliable way to measure the success of a movie, right?

From what I've seen of the reviews everything seems to be within the usual parameters for a Snyder movie and yet, everyone is claiming DC is done and that the movie will bomb.

Yep, as of now BvS is scoring slightly lower than Man of Steel but there's no reason to think that correlates with box office success. This would be the case in point there.

All the tomato meter tells you is how much critics enjoyed a movie. And even then, all it says is the proportion of critics that enjoyed a movie, not what the average level of enjoyment is (there is an average score metric but no one pays attention to it).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I really like that tweet from the other page saying its "like Phantom Menace meets Amazing Spiderman". Like I obviously haven't seen the movie but I don't understand how it can be stylistically or tonally or basically anything at all like Phantom Menace except in the sense that PM is low hanging "nerds loving hate this" fruit and this guy wanted to get an easy dunk in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

Lmao, do you have a link?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I ship lex luthor's cup of piss with Jar Jar's stomped poodoo

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

I ship lex luthor's cup of piss with Jar Jar's stomped poodoo

Yes but where does Amazing Spider-Man fit in in this scenario

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

broken clock opsec posted:

Yes but where does Amazing Spider-Man fit in in this scenario

Every web gag is basically a joke about jizz

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I really like that tweet from the other page saying its "like Phantom Menace meets Amazing Spiderman". Like I obviously haven't seen the movie but I don't understand how it can be stylistically or tonally or basically anything at all like Phantom Menace except in the sense that PM is low hanging "nerds loving hate this" fruit and this guy wanted to get an easy dunk in.
I can only imagine that Batman rides around on a skateboard while saying "Now THIS is crimefighting!!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

Every web gag is basically a joke about jizz

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pretty ironic that Devin Faraci is trashing BvS and was snarky about it even before release, when several months ago he was defending Fantastic Four and gave it a somewhat good review. Even if he's friends with Josh Trank, the final movie was different from what Trank initially directed.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

He also poo poo on the Daredevil series on Neflix before it's debut and then walked it back with a bizarre excuse after the show came out and everyone called him an idiot for it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Goffer posted:

I thought you just meant that one would not call being entertained by the depiction of such acts as one enjoying it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Goffer posted:

Tell that to this reviewer:

Lmao. Praises film as a pure, superhero spectacle. But it's not fun so ROTTEN.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

teagone posted:

Tell that to this reviewer:

Lmao. Praises film as a pure, superhero spectacle. But it's not fun so ROTTEN.

You haven't even seen the movie, and something can be a spectacle without being fun!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The DC Cinematic Universe subreddit is on suicide watch.

quote:

I'm really tired of having to defend all DC films. God loving drat it WB. If the negativity results in JL getting pushed back, I will be really sad. I have always been a DC fan, but if WB doesn't clean up this mess then I'm jumping ship.

It all boils down to $$$$. If positive critics drive people to the theatre then give them what they want. I just want to see my beloved characters on screen. WB won't get credit for being ballsy and trying new stuff by screwing around with icons. Even though very few think that the script was a problem, I really feel that a movie this scale should not polarize this much. WB needs to get smart in making these decisions for gently caress's sake and get George Miller to salvage the DCEU asap

And now I have realized that Drew got most of the stuff right. I just hope what he said about JL getting pushed is not true. Motherfucker. Great start to my morning. And btw, I am excited for BvS like anything but I really hoped this to be game changer

The hell of being a volunteer defender of a multimillion dollar entertainment division of Time Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Double down on the despair, gloom, seriousness, and lack of fun bring in Lars Von Trier for MoS 2.

• Locked thread