Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Dr. Dos posted:

With Bio Force Ape _and_ Socks the Cat, the only lost game I want now is Duelin' Firemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msp2xO_TdQ4

now that's a game i'd go to kickstarter for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Today's find: a complete copy of Castlevania Chronicles for a dollar.

As I already own it, SC3 trade bait ahoy!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Dr. Dos posted:

With Bio Force Ape _and_ Socks the Cat, the only lost game I want now is Duelin' Firemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msp2xO_TdQ4

More games need Mark Mothersbaugh in them, really.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Today's find: a complete copy of Castlevania Chronicles for a dollar.

As I already own it, SC3 trade bait ahoy!

I just bought it on PSN last week. :argh:

Anyway, more thoughts on Mega Man Z 1 now that I have actually made some progress: it's weird but I think I kind of like it. The game feels like they decided that what everyone wants in their Mega Man games are bosses and so throws a ton of short, easy stages with tough bosses at you. The level up system for weapons feels off somehow, probably because it makes me feel like I need to use the hub world to grind up a few levels in order to use them properly. I can't say I like the one life and three continues set up they have; it makes learning the game a lot tougher than it should be. Still, the bosses are cool and that definitely seems to be the focus of the game so I'm having fun.

Unfortunately I got the copy of Sonic Advance 3 in the mail yesterday that I bought when I thought I was going to have fun with the Sonic Advance series (I bought 1 at a local store). I don't even want to plug that one in.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Djarum posted:

Sega the company the left god knows how much money on the table by not porting stuff that people actually want to play but instead release garbage like this...

Motherfucker do not call Sega Soccer Slam garbage. :mad:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Random Stranger posted:

I just bought it on PSN last week. :argh:

Anyway, more thoughts on Mega Man Z 1 now that I have actually made some progress: it's weird but I think I kind of like it. The game feels like they decided that what everyone wants in their Mega Man games are bosses and so throws a ton of short, easy stages with tough bosses at you. The level up system for weapons feels off somehow, probably because it makes me feel like I need to use the hub world to grind up a few levels in order to use them properly. I can't say I like the one life and three continues set up they have; it makes learning the game a lot tougher than it should be. Still, the bosses are cool and that definitely seems to be the focus of the game so I'm having fun.

You absolutely need to grind your weapons up in the open world unless you like not being able to use charge shots or three slash combos against bosses until midgame. You can also find/buy continues around the world to help a bit, but the series is pretty hard either way.

Don't feel bad if you feel like you just want to skip to a later game where they improved a lot of this, and toned the difficulty down.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Just got a copy of FF3 (FF6) for the SNES complete in box. It actually came with an extra map from FF2 SNES, but my CIB copy of FF2 has the map already. So if anyone is in search of the map from FF2 SNES, let me know. It has tape of various ages (and yellowness) on some of the creases that started to tear I guess.

Now to compare FF6 GBA, FF6 PS1 and FF3 SNES...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Do not play the ps1 version. The lag will drive you crazy. The GBA version adds a few things but the graphics and sound are much worse.

It amazes me that ff6 did not get a DS remake.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Just got a copy of FF3 (FF6) for the SNES complete in box. It actually came with an extra map from FF2 SNES, but my CIB copy of FF2 has the map already. So if anyone is in search of the map from FF2 SNES, let me know. It has tape of various ages (and yellowness) on some of the creases that started to tear I guess.

Now to compare FF6 GBA, FF6 PS1 and FF3 SNES...

I'd like to get in on that; I have the cart and the manual but no map... let me know! :)

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

flyboi posted:

I would love to play it but the digital price is laughable and the entire thing wreaks of advertising cash grab. Oh wait the purchaser is in marketing it all makes sense.

He paid way too much for it. I'll probably throw him $20, but it will be purely out of sympathy.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Do not play the ps1 version. The lag will drive you crazy. The GBA version adds a few things but the graphics and sound are much worse.

It amazes me that ff6 did not get a DS remake.

Ya, I played through a good chunk of the PS1 version back in the day, but I was playing a lot of the PS1 RPGs/rereleases back then so the lag was noticeable since it was worse than the others, but didn't bug me as much as it does now. That is how I played through Chrono Trigger, but now that I have the DS version of that, I should play through that. May try to get the SNES version at some point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Before I give Sonic Advance 3 a spin I had to delete the old user data and I found him:

The world's only Shadow the Hedgehog fan.

(Bonus view of the super grimy GBA I paid $5 for last week.)

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

d0s posted:

Omegas are better built and not silly looking. I guess it's no big deal if you're buying locally & not paying the Analogue ripoff price tho

I ended up buying the Analogue CMVS.

For $200 I got the system, all cables including scart and component. 2 Neo Geo arcade sticks, 2 Neo Geo CD Controllers, 2 controller extension cables and 11 carts.

It was really too good of a deal to pass up. I don't know why he was selling for such a low price. It's in perfect condition and all the carts are working perfectly.

My girlfriend also scored all this for $50. Overall pretty god drat solid weekend for game hunting.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Oh, what's the current best multi cart for MVS? I've been reading a lot of conflicting reports about which to buy.

Any ideas?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I mailed out my N64 for Monitor Burn to RGB mod for me, so between that, the Framemeister I bought, and the SCART cables I ordered from retrogamingcables.co.uk, I'm gearing up to re-wire my retro console setup and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm going from maybe 3/4 of the consoles using Composite, to none of them using it.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
If you've got a lot of scart cables you might want to look into one of these switches. They seem really well built. I can't wait for mine.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/gscartsw-automatic-8-1-scart-rgb-switch.52513/

The pre order is over but it sounds like they're going to have extras for sale after the pre orders are dealt with. The advice is to just keep checking back into the thread for more updates.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I hate you for getting all that for what is basically nothing on the Neo-Geo side.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wouldn't put it behind the possibility that those may be stolen goods. Way too low a price for all of that -- the owner would have known how much that stuff goes for.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Pricing question. Is $40 a good deal for a Genesis 1 complete with box and no games?

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Saoshyant posted:

I wouldn't put it behind the possibility that those may be stolen goods. Way too low a price for all of that -- the owner would have known how much that stuff goes for.

That crossed my mind too, but the guy was way too knowledgeable about Neo Geo stuff to just be a guy flipping stolen stuff. He was talking about all the right websites and knew all the settings for each game in the Unibios. He was taking me through all the games and saying like "I paid $50 for this, $70 for this, $100 for this" ..etc.

My girlfriend and I were in the car trying to wrap our heads around the deal that we got and the only thing we could think of was that he was running it through composite on an HDTV and it looked like poo poo. So maybe he was off loading it because he thought it was lovely. I really have no idea.

It was super strange, but I'm not complaining.

The other thing was I had to drive 3 hours each way to get it since he lived in the middle of nowhere. That might have had something to do with it too, but who knows.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

shaitan posted:

Pricing question. Is $40 a good deal for a Genesis 1 complete with box and no games?

Judging by ebay prices, that's pretty decent. Seems to go for at least $16 more.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

azurite posted:

Judging by ebay prices, that's pretty decent. Seems to go for at least $16 more.

Thanks. It's at a goodwill so I figured it was decently priced.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

beaver_cheese posted:

That crossed my mind too, but the guy was way too knowledgeable about Neo Geo stuff to just be a guy flipping stolen stuff. He was talking about all the right websites and knew all the settings for each game in the Unibios. He was taking me through all the games and saying like "I paid $50 for this, $70 for this, $100 for this" ..etc.

My girlfriend and I were in the car trying to wrap our heads around the deal that we got and the only thing we could think of was that he was running it through composite on an HDTV and it looked like poo poo. So maybe he was off loading it because he thought it was lovely. I really have no idea.

It was super strange, but I'm not complaining.

The other thing was I had to drive 3 hours each way to get it since he lived in the middle of nowhere. That might have had something to do with it too, but who knows.

Sometimes you just get tired of having clutter. I've certainly taken a hit on expensive items because the feeling of empty space is better than the money in my pocket.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

shaitan posted:

How complete are we talking here? all cords, console, controller, and instruction manuals/packing materials? Whats the box condition? A Genesis loose with cords is usually about $20 and the VGPC says $60 for complete in box. It'd be an okay deal, and a good one if the box is in great condition, and a great deal if it has the original paper work and packing materials. And naturally if it's working too. Is the box worth double the price to you? My gut says this is okay, and since I'm having trouble finding boxed Genesis on ebay, if the box is good and matters to you go for it. I assume this is local and not having to be shipped? Because shipping would put it up to the average going rate of $60 I bet.

edit: poo poo its at Goodwill? inspect it for condition and go for it. If it's an actual Goodwill store most do surprisingly have a return policy for store credit if it turns out to be broken or missing something hard to replace.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 26, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also if you turn in a shirt or something at GW you'll get a 25% off coupon. They pretty much up charge anything over $10 with that in mind.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shaitan posted:

For console, controller, AC adapter, and just the box itself (not including the shell that holds everything or the cards and whatnot), then $40 is a good price for a Model 1 Genesis, especially if it's a "High Definition Graphics" logo model. Check what kind of video hookup it includes, though; if it's just RF, you'll want to get a composite AV cable. That can be anywhere from $5 to $10, depending on quality, but even that extra cost would probably be an OK price in my book.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I got another SNES at the thrift store today. It's a little dirty, but nothing I can't clean. Only problem is, the video doesn't display properly. On Super Mario World it will show the
-Nintendo Presents-
But once that fades, it stays black. The audio keeps going like normal. I've tried it with the composite video it comes with, both direct to my TV and through the framemeister, and also with an svideo cable and an scart cable. Weird.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

What about other carts?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

beaver_cheese posted:

For $200 I got the system, all cables including scart and component. 2 Neo Geo arcade sticks, 2 Neo Geo CD Controllers, 2 controller extension cables and 11 carts.

img-ron-paul-happening.gif

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

If you are able to test other carts and the picture just kinda fades out from initial boot, it might be a bad capacitor(s). Also, are you using an original SNES power supply, or do you have another one to test out as well?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

beaver_cheese posted:

If you've got a lot of scart cables you might want to look into one of these switches. They seem really well built. I can't wait for mine.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/gscartsw-automatic-8-1-scart-rgb-switch.52513/

The pre order is over but it sounds like they're going to have extras for sale after the pre orders are dealt with. The advice is to just keep checking back into the thread for more updates.
That looks sweet as heck, but it's $215 and I just dropped a lot of coin on the Framemeister, cables, mods, etc. :retrogames:
I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future, but for now I think I just want to let my wallet have a breather while I get everything hooked up and running.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Monitor Burn posted:

If you are able to test other carts and the picture just kinda fades out from initial boot, it might be a bad capacitor(s). Also, are you using an original SNES power supply, or do you have another one to test out as well?

Pilotwings and NBA Jam don't make the TV leave the "no signal" blue screen. Super Mario All-Stars will turn the screen black (like SMW), but no sound. This both with the power cable it came with and the one I've been using with my snes mini.

One of the times I powered it up with SMW, the title screen music ended abruptly and the star road music began playing. :wtf:
Prognosis: haunted.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
What's up with Japanese developers giving themselves wacky names in the credits?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a combination of publishers wanting to hide the fact that they were using outside developers and studios forcing their employees to use psseudonyms so they couldn't be headhunted by other companies.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Mods please change my name to Booby hunter

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I'm Road Zapper. AMA.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The composer of Splatterhouse 2 is Milky Eiko and I don't think they've done anything else.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

beaver_cheese posted:

My girlfriend also scored all this for $50. Overall pretty god drat solid weekend for game hunting.

How? I can't even find Melee alone for that. Some people have all the luck... haha

Digging the green N64. Debating on sending Monitor Burn my standard black one or getting that green version once he can get his hands on the HDMI/RGB mod.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Green N64 the best 64! Wish I had the matching controller but whatever. Speaking of N64 the Kickstarter on the replacement N64 joysticks ended today so here's hoping it isn't poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

The composer of Splatterhouse 2 is Milky Eiko and I don't think they've done anything else.
They also did the Game Boy version of Dig Dug, King of the Monsters 2 for SNES, Splatterhouse 3 and some SNES game I know nothing about

• Locked thread