Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

What consensus is this? Iron Man 2 and 3 both exist. Incredible Hulk. Thor. Nah.

IM2 is definitely considered the worst by C/D, AoU is pretty far down there. I think IM3 and Thor 1 are pretty well regarded actually (Thor 2 less so). I'm not sure most people even consider Hulk to be proper MCU since it was basically ignored subsequently, but iirc Roth and Hurt's performances are typically well spoken of.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

computer parts posted:

One of the weaknesses of DC's strategy is that there's not really room for sequels, so even if you have a favorite character they're not showing up again until Justice League. Though this is probably also true with the recent MCU additions like Doctor Strange, Black Panther, etc.

Marvel will find room if Strange or Panther or any others are huge hits, they're doing it with Ant-Man which while it did good box office, it wasn't anything monstrous.

Saw this today and I liked Affleck and Gadot a lot, but I really hated their take on Luthor. One question I have when the guy climbs the Superman statue and spray paints on it, what did it say? Couldn't make it out in my lovely theatre.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

it says FALSE GOD

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

IM 2 is still the worst MCU film.

Also I liked Incredible Hulk with Norton. Wasn't anything to write home about, but it was pretty enjoyable, and deffo better than Ang Lee's take.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Iron Man 3 is the only MCU movie I flat didn't like. The rest range from okay to amazing.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
"This ends now. The bat is dead! I, Superman, hold human life in such high regard that I can not abide your wanton murder of other criminals.

Except of course for those mooks you just machine-gunned a few blocks away, which I definitely knew about because of my super-hearing. I most certainly could have intervened thanks to my ability to fly at supersonic speeds, but we'll just call them a freebie. I mean, I'm a reasonable guy, it's not like I'm going to ask you to go cold-turkey or anything... why don't you start by murdering less than a dozen thugs per week, and we'll see how it goes from there?"

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 27, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Knowing that significant portions of the film were cut for the PG-13 rating resolves most of my issues with the movie.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I enjoyed all the Marvel movies, even Iron Man 2. That's 13 films in row which were all built on a corporate assembly line. Warner Brothers really has no excuse.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Effectronica posted:

Knowing that significant portions of the film were cut for the PG-13 rating resolves most of my issues with the movie.

Fair point, I'm sure the scenes where Batman corrective-rapes drug dealers while Alfred sighs disapprovingly will make the narrative far more coherent.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Fair point, I'm sure the scenes where Batman corrective-rapes drug dealers while Alfred sighs disapprovingly will make the narrative far more coherent.

You're really mad that a movie didn't treat violence as good clean family fun. Batman's second-most-famous tool is a razor-sharp throwing knife, but we can just assume the people he throws it at will get their fingers reattached offscreen.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Saw it tonight, theater seemed to be pretty into it. Not sure why everyone says this film is so dour; there were a lot of moments throughout that got the audience laughing, much more so than MOS.

Overall I had a fun time and I thought it was a good movie. I agree with the complaints that the editing is a total mess, especially in the first act. It's really obvious that Snyder plopped a three-hour movie onto WB's desk and the studio was racing against the clock to make a "Cliff's notes" version that kept the bare bones plot intact while keeping things relatively short. The tie-ins to future DC movies are also really poorly done; the teasers with the rest of the League felt like a bunch of unrelated movie trailers had been inserted into the film last-second without regard to whether they made sense in the context of the film. Surprisingly, I didn't feel the film's length at all. Because of how haphazard the editing is, it's hard to get a grip on where in the movie you are until bam you're suddenly in the third act.

BVS is super weird in that it literally feels like a comic book come to life, like Zack Snyder found a missing crossover event comic from the 80's and decided to recreate it exactly on screen, panel by panel. I actually kinda dig how earnestly committed it is to recreating that ultra-specific brand of melodramatic convoluted stupidity that's both really self-serious about what its doing, but also campy and over the top like a soap opera. Out of all the performances, I'd say that Eisenberg was the big stand-out. He really nails the role of "bratty STEM graduate trying to bridge the gap between their own self-importance and their total lack of social skills" and adds a lot of levity that MOS lacked.

As a whole I'd give it a 7/10. It definitely could have been better but it's nowhere near the disaster the press made it out to be, and I'd definitely be on board to see these characters in other movies. At the end of the day, it had a lot of fun moments and some really interesting ideas to think about which is pretty much all I expected or wanted out of this film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe that's why I dislike it so much. I don't read comics. I just watch the movies.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
If Snyder wanted to crib classic comic books, he really should've have gone for something other than The Dark Knight Returns, which hasn't aged well.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kurzon posted:

If Snyder wanted to crib classic comic books, he really should've have gone for something other than The Dark Knight Returns, which hasn't aged well.

Sure it has. It even has a well done recent animated adaptation (in two movies) with Peter Weller. Other than cool striking stuff that I do think aged well (Bat armor, various moments) BvS really is a lot different than a TDKR movie.

Daredevil is also adapting 80s Miller stuff over at Netflix, some of that guy's stuff is pretty timeless I'd say, odd as it may seem.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You know how Stan lee and Lou Ferrigno do cameos? All the previous living Batmans should have had small cameos in this one.

That's my idea, thanks for reading.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe that's why I dislike it so much. I don't read comics. I just watch the movies.

Every possible combination of this phrase will be used. Like, "I don't read comics, maybe that's why I like it so much." That might be it, but it's probably much more than that, mate.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

This is essentially an hours-long origin story for Lex Luthor's haircut. Affleck's Bruce Wayne has no charisma whatsoever, and Wonder Woman is completely tangential. I'm assuming she was only included to push forward with the Justice League. Not the worst movie ever but it really misses the point of superhero movies by having the first 75 minutes or so just be Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent farting around. Nobody wants to see these characters, they want to see Superman punch people through buildings and Batman be generally nasty to criminals.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Saw this tonight. I like Affleck a lot as batman. I came in with a really biased opinion in that I liked all of the Bale films. I'd say a young Bruce Wayne is best played by Bale, but an older Wayne is best played by Affleck. He just looked much more like batman than Bale ever did in my opinion. As for the Film as a whole, I feel that superman was and always has been fairly boring though great for special effects. Wonder woman had absolutely nothing to do with the plot and movie as a whole. I am assuming they're just setting her up as a spin off so they can tie in these hero movies with justice league vs suicide squad or whatever.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Effectronica posted:

You're really mad that a movie didn't treat violence as good clean family fun. Batman's second-most-famous tool is a razor-sharp throwing knife, but we can just assume the people he throws it at will get their fingers reattached offscreen.

Hey I'm not a "Batman must never kill!" die-hard. I'm sure I would enjoy a well made solo film where Batfleck straight up mercs a bunch of dudes just fine.

I just found it bizarre that they characterized him in BvS as a homicidal maniac only to turn it around and make him all better in the final act of the same film just so he can be in Justice League next year. Any redemption for the BvS Batman that doesn't involve Bruce Wayne turning himself in to the authorities and owning up to his crimes is laughable.

Honestly it seems like they're missing a good opportunity to have this Batman pay his debt to society by going to prison and serving on the Suicide Squad instead of the JLA. If Snyder pulls a swerve on us and goes that route I will be totally on board.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 27, 2016

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

Just saw the film, I like how Batman spends the majority of the film shooting guns and murdering people. new fresh take on the character.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

SonicRulez posted:

Iron Man 3 is the only MCU movie I flat didn't like. The rest range from okay to amazing.

Same. Iron Man 3 is unforgivably bad. It is the worst comic book movie I've ever seen. And I've seen Daredevil!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Quiet Feet posted:

This is essentially an hours-long origin story for Lex Luthor's haircut. Affleck's Bruce Wayne has no charisma whatsoever, and Wonder Woman is completely tangential. I'm assuming she was only included to push forward with the Justice League. Not the worst movie ever but it really misses the point of superhero movies by having the first 75 minutes or so just be Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent farting around. Nobody wants to see these characters, they want to see Superman punch people through buildings and Batman be generally nasty to criminals.

I still don't understand why they shaved his head. They'll cut your hair if it's very long that's about it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hollismason posted:

I still don't understand why they shaved his head. They'll cut your hair if it's very long that's about it.

My theory is he's going to become Brainiac.
:tinfoil:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I am shocked and appalled that a writer thought "Okay so this scene takes place in an alternate future that is also a dream within a dream" and expected praise

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

So technically Batman won, right?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Just saw this. I will watch it again when someone has cut about 45 minutes out of it. If you need a list of which scenes to get rid of, I could probably compile it from memory.

Ryaomon posted:

I am shocked and appalled that a writer thought "Okay so this scene takes place in an alternate future that is also a dream within a dream" and expected praise
I was in stunned disbelief that this entire bit happened. As a comic book nerd who loves it when people try to bring the deepest comic insanity to the screen, I enjoyed it. I cannot imagine what non-autists thought about this. I took my little brother to see it and he had no loving clue it was supposed to be the Flash.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
J.K. Simmons had the chance to reprise his role as J. Jonah Jameson shouting about Spider-Man in the upcoming movies, but instead he's going to play a Commissioner Gordon who is relegated to serving up a criminal once a week to keep Batman from busting through the walls Kool-aid Man style and garroting hobos in the Gotham City drunk tank

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

Was it the Flash? My first though was Orion

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

cams posted:

Just saw this. I will watch it again when someone has cut about 45 minutes out of it. If you need a list of which scenes to get rid of, I could probably compile it from memory.
I was in stunned disbelief that this entire bit happened. As a comic book nerd who loves it when people try to bring the deepest comic insanity to the screen, I enjoyed it. I cannot imagine what non-autists thought about this. I took my little brother to see it and he had no loving clue it was supposed to be the Flash.

I've read a bunch of DC comics and cartoons as well as the new Flash show and I had no idea Flash was able to invade people's dreams and warn them about the future. I thought he only could travel in time?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
"You're letting him kill Martha" was so goddamn dumb

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

"You're letting him kill Martha" was so goddamn dumb

That got the weirdest reaction of the movie. Awkward, awkward laughter. I get what they were going for, but drat did it not land.

This describes my reaction to the entire movie, pretty much. Marvel makes Subway sandwiches that taste fine. This was an ambitious train wreck that was equal parts glorious and loving terrible.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If you didn't like the movie because you felt Batman didn't match up with your preconceived notion of what Batman should be, you are a big dumb baby.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't really know why this needs to be said:

:siren: STOP POSTING UNTAGGED SPOILERS :siren:

The movie has been out for 2 days. Give it at least a week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Finally saw it and loved this movie so loving much. It's funny reading the last ten pages because I can tell which people actually saw the film and didn't like it, and which people haven't seen it at all and are complaining about shitthatdidnthappen.txt they heard in a game of Internet reviewer telephone.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Megasabin posted:

If you didn't like the movie because you felt Batman didn't match up with your preconceived notion of what Batman should be, you are a big dumb baby.

Yeah, I heard this general complaint before seeing the movie. Now that I've seen it, that complaint is dumb garbage.

"Batman doesn't kill." Well, this one is unhinged middle-aged Batman. He's like regular Batman in that he's an insane manchild defined by trauma. But now he's in his 40's and doesn't give a poo poo about anything that isn't punching. I'm fine with that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even this Batman didn't really kill directly. He kills vehicles... With people in them, sure. But he doesn't kill anyone personally. People are acting like he's a gun toting maniac blowing everyone away death wish style. Yeah he kills some people but he's not really anything like what people are saying.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I wonder if the people who obsess about Batman killing have even seen the movie because this hardly the worst problem with it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think that the dream scene with the Flash wasn't a dream. Mainly because when the Flash is there a ton of paper is being kicked up and blowing around. Then Bruce "wakes up" but that paper is still blowing around in the background. Him being blown back in his chair by the Flash finishing his time travel message and instantly disappearing just gave him the illusion he was waking up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saw the film, really dug it. I like Batfleck a ton, he should be Batman a good long time now.

I think outside of all the smaller things I most appreciated that Batman seemed genuinely predatory and terrifying compared to his other incarnations and that the film in general is framed and composited as though these beings are gods in the greek classical sense, not heroes of pure, unquestionable virtue.

Well that's my time I'm out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know, Brave and the Bold's "Not My Batman" has really gotten too ubiquitous and used as an all-too-easy way of deflecting criticism.

Even that show had a message that there are some things you shouldn't do with Batman in stories.

• Locked thread