Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

NattyBo posted:

Where's a good late game area to hang out and be invaded? I really wanna try some PVP. I only have the last boss in the game left, including optional bosses, so I think pretty much everywhere is open to me

Irithyll giant courtyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Mr E posted:

Anything important I could have missed in (pretty early I think) the swamp? I opened the doors there but feel like I could have missed a ton of things because of how big it is.

After just having gone through this, there's a dizzying number of items in here and some of them are pretty important. There's a bone dust, a couple of different spell tomes, and a side area that leads to (bigger spoilers)the wolfblood covenant, and if you keep going you'll find the bridge where you fought the Taurus Demon in DkS1, where the Stray Demon is hanging out now, and his soul can be used to make Havel's Ring. Also up there: the blue dragon crest shield and an estus shard.

Which reminds me. One of the items I found in the swamp was a pyromancy tome, but I have nobody to give it to. Did I miss him somewhere? I skipped the cathedral of the deep in favor of doing the swamp first, should I go back or press forward past the watcher of the abyss boss fight?

E: spelling

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 27, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

turtlecrunch posted:

How do I get to this item/the upper floor? I have run around the entire building and the exterior. It's the building in front of the Crystal Sage boss in the swamp, the item is on the upper floor in the hallway right before the boss where those two nerds fire soul darts at you.

omfg the path was sort of off to the side of a crumbled stair right outside the room and the sorcery teacher was there too :cry:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

After just having gone through this, there's a dizzying number of items in here and some of them are pretty important. There's a bone dust, a couple of different spell times, and a side area that leads to (bigger spoilers)the wolfblood covenant, and if you keep going you'll find the bridge where you fought the Taurus Demon is DkS1, where the Stray Demon is hanging out now, and his soul can be used to make Havel's Ring. Also up there: the blue dragon crest shield and an estus shard.

Which reminds me. One of the items I found in the swamp was a pyromancy time, but I have nobody to give it to. Did I miss him somewhere? I skipped the cathedral of the deep in favor of doing the swamp first, should I go back or press forward past the watcher of the abyss boss fight?

Any hints where the side area is? I found all the other things you mentioned.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Mr E posted:

Any hints where the side area is? I found all the other things you mentioned.

The very center of the swamp. Look for a large building then circle around it until you find a ladder guarded by slugs.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Funkmaster General posted:

After just having gone through this, there's a dizzying number of items in here and some of them are pretty important. There's a bone dust, a couple of different spell tomes, and a side area that leads to (bigger spoilers)the wolfblood covenant, and if you keep going you'll find the bridge where you fought the Taurus Demon in DkS1, where the Stray Demon is hanging out now, and his soul can be used to make Havel's Ring. Also up there: the blue dragon crest shield and an estus shard.

Which reminds me. One of the items I found in the swamp was a pyromancy tome, but I have nobody to give it to. Did I miss him somewhere? I skipped the cathedral of the deep in favor of doing the swamp first, should I go back or press forward past the watcher of the abyss boss fight?

E: spelling

The pyromancy trainer is hidden back in the settlement, apparently. I don't have the game so I can't really give precise directions, he's locked up in a cage somewhere.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Found that area, thanks. The boss at the end of the door you open in the swamp was really loving good.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Irithyll giant courtyard

Which Bonfire is this? I'm playing in Japanese so it's really hard to tell

Having some luck invading rather than being invaded in the optional area, at least

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Concurred posted:

As a Great Club user, I find the idea of a "second" thing that needs to be avoided laughable because it died with a few mighty swings of my hammer just as it came out.

This tip (plus Orv's post) was what gave me the courage to switch to a heavy weapon in the second phase, and that let me beat the boss. Thanks!

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

NattyBo posted:

Which Bonfire is this? I'm playing in Japanese so it's really hard to tell

Having some luck invading rather than being invaded in the optional area, at least

Courtyard area in snow land with all the dead giants laying around before ascending up to anor londo

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Outside of automatically summoning covenants I have not had a single 1on1 invasion, but twice have people invaded me in that way without being part of a covenant like that (as per their aura, and the zone of invasion).

I'm in the tombs on my lv25 bigclub caveman, got the optional boss, found so many new sources for gestures and poo poo, items I never found my first playthrough. Madness.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The tombs after the swamp sure are a thing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

put on my magic resist equipment and I'm ready for the catwalk :v:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man these things decreasing my max health can gently caress riiiiiigggghhhtt off

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Chaos blade is so sick. I'm at 41 dex including a ring and I have a buff from a covenant that increases damage based on my faith and the catalyst, makes stuff into butter.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 27, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you are invading and able to invade what is only the host player and not a single summon; what level are you, where are you, are you using a covenant item, what is your secret

I'm having the shittiest loving PvP experiences and there's no Karmic Justice miracle

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 27, 2016

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Also if you have been summoned as a Blade of Darkmoom where and what level were or are you?

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

MrLonghair posted:

If you are invading and able to invade what is only the host player and not a single summon; what level are you, where are you, are you using a covenant item, what is your secret

I'm having the shittiest loving PvP experiences and there's no Karmic Justice miracle

I was able to invade a lone player at the 2nd bonfire in the optional area

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I get so obsessed with covenant/phantom mechanics before these games come out lol. I'm dying to know how exactly invasions work because it sounds so close to perfect. There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that 1v1 invasions are possible but the details are so vague.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

1v1 is definitely possible. I've been invaded several times while alone. Always happened after defeating a boss and moving on to the next zone. Each time I have fought valiantly. Sometimes I won, and sometimes I lost.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it prioritizes matching you against groups. you're only going to get a lone player if you get lucky

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

lets hang out posted:

it prioritizes matching you against groups. you're only going to get a lone player if you get lucky

Red soapstones exist

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's interesting that From decided to make the primal force which drives darkwraith covenant activity not be griefing for the sake of itself but rather the insatiable lust to respec

I also think it's interesting that mad spirits in the mound makers are disincentivized from killing hosts because they are the most well protected and competed for player in the multiplayer instance and because keeping more hosts alive means more multiplayer instances exist to quickly jump into and gank some unsuspecting phantom.

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 27, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
My experience so far is that I've always been invaded by one dude after being cindered by a boss. Once I was invaded by a red phantom AND a phantom who seemed to be both blue and red. No idea what happened there.

Edit: Fun piece of trivia. I killed Aldritch (for some reason named "Eldritch" in Japanese) at the same time that I died and I respawned in cinder status! Still gotta go get my souls though.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 27, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Well it is the first Sunday of the game's life after all :downs:

I will need help to bring gear over to my ganker Solaire builds when I've built them. Cavemanning doesn't work against 2+, I've fought entire goddamn rainbows. Then again what builds work against host and summon? I'll tell you what build works against four, five players - Karmic Justice.

That is the biggest negative about the game, lacking that spell. It would be useful against bosses and other PvE, eff it.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 27, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nickoten posted:

My experience so far is that I've always been invaded by one dude after being cindered by a boss. Once I was invaded by a red phantom AND a phantom who seemed to be both blue and red. No idea what happened there.

Edit: Fun piece of trivia. I killed Aldritch (for some reason named "Eldritch" in Japanese) at the same time that I died and I respawned in cinder status! Still gotta go get my souls though.

Your underlying covenant item colors you as a base layer below your status--> a guy with the sunbro covenant will be gold and red if he invaded someone

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i dont think thats true

red blues are defender covenants. no they couldn't just come up with a different color for them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
By red blue do we mean "purple"

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

goferchan posted:

By red blue do we mean "purple"

No, that's different from what they're taking about.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Forest and Aldrich defenders are a red/blue mix for some reason. Sunbro dark spirits are red/gold. Then there's red, blue, and mound makers which are purple. I think that's it. No more lame rear end gray spirits

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh I think blue sentinels are blue/white and darkmoons are blue/black

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh and of course the classic white and gold co-op buddies.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

net cafe scandal posted:

Oh I think blue sentinels are blue/white and darkmoons are blue/black

I have the covenant item for the second but I never get summoned :(

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That's weird. With the red orb so easy to procure there should be plenty of sin going around

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i dont think there are blue invasions, darkmoon covenant seems functionally identical to blue sentinal

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I wonder if darkmoons are broken because it's the one covenant I never hear anyone talk about.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just killed my second lord of cinder and I have absolutely no clue where I'm supposed to go next.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Would anyone here be kind enough to confirm if there is still a method to download this early for any system, play in english and play online with no known retribution (aka account bans etc...) expected?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Just killed my second lord of cinder and I have absolutely no clue where I'm supposed to go next.
More information is required. Going to take a stab and guess though. Remember before you hit anor londo proper, you got in via a sewer area? You got chased in by giant rat-dog thing in the lake. Instead of going in the sewer, hang right. There is a bonfire there, and a way down.

If that isn't right, it would be helpful to know where you've been. I don't think you have to kill all the bosses in the same order.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

SoggyGravy posted:

Would anyone here be kind enough to confirm if there is still a method to download this early for any system, play in english and play online with no known retribution (aka account bans etc...) expected?

theres not

• Locked thread