Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Soal_Fish posted:

Probably should be another one with the police tbh

Way overboard to be sure, but why should the police get involved? We play a contact sport with plenty of guys who think it's their last chance to get noticed by the invisible scout in the stands. Unless someone is trying to murder players with their skate, this is just someone who shouldn't be allowed to play hockey anymore. I've had plenty of malicious hits against me, and I've thrown a few too. None of that means the police need to be called.

poo poo happens. Have good insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is a line, and laws don't stop applying just because you're on an ice rink and the facility has a "hockey is a dangerous sport!!" disclaimer stuck to the wall.

Even the wobbly-ankled first timer knows this, slashes and bumps are an accepted risk of the game, charging across the rink at someone and crushing their face with a hockey stick is assault and the cops should 100% be involved.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

There is a line, and laws don't stop applying just because you're on an ice rink and the facility has a "hockey is a dangerous sport!!" disclaimer stuck to the wall.

Even the wobbly-ankled first timer knows this, slashes and bumps are an accepted risk of the game, charging across the rink at someone and crushing their face with a hockey stick is assault and the cops should 100% be involved.

So some shitbag swings around with his stick because he's pissed off at getting beat over and over all night and hits you in the face, you want to call the cops? That's not how contact sports work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My bad, I didn't know rec league hockey was actually bloodsport. Man three years in and you'd think someone would have told me this.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

My bad, I didn't know rec league hockey was actually bloodsport. Man three years in and you'd think someone would have told me this.

That's not an exaggeration or anything. It's a contact sport played by people experiencing rushes of adrenaline. I'm sorry that it took you 3 years of playing hockey to realize that it isn't all cellys and handshake lines. I'm not trying to condone actions that are obviously deliberate in nature. If someone takes a half rink run at someone with every intent to merging their body with the glass, that person should be handled per the rules of the league/game but the police? Come on.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

delpheye posted:

Way overboard to be sure, but why should the police get involved? We play a contact sport with plenty of guys who think it's their last chance to get noticed by the invisible scout in the stands. Unless someone is trying to murder players with their skate, this is just someone who shouldn't be allowed to play hockey anymore. I've had plenty of malicious hits against me, and I've thrown a few too. None of that means the police need to be called.

poo poo happens. Have good insurance.

Honest question here, will insurance cover this? Every time I've had an injury that sounded on paper like there could be a responsible party, my insurance has come after me with all sorts of dire warnings about how they won't cover my care if someone else is at fault. And just a quick read on USA Hockey's supplemental insurance suggests intentional injury isn't covered, only accidents during the normal course of a USA Hockey sanctioned event.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

delpheye posted:

That's not an exaggeration or anything. It's a contact sport played by people experiencing rushes of adrenaline. I'm sorry that it took you 3 years of playing hockey to realize that it isn't all cellys and handshake lines. I'm not trying to condone actions that are obviously deliberate in nature. If someone takes a half rink run at someone with every intent to merging their body with the glass, that person should be handled per the rules of the league/game but the police? Come on.

Even at the NHL level they get the police involved. Remember the charges filed against McSorley for swinging at Brashear? Difference there is it as a ballbase swing to the helmet between two guys who have hockey as their life and career. The incident we're talking about is a malicious hit to the face between people who have other jobs/lives to participate in.

I'm all for sticking to the rule book but we're talking about some shitbag permanently worsening someone's life just because he's a piece of poo poo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The legal concept you two are awkwardly dancing around is called assumption of risk. We're all aware of the risks associated playing hockey and those are pretty well laid out in jurisprudence. Getting hit with an errant stick is pretty clearly part of the assumed risk of playing hockey anywhere anytime, but someone deliberately running you into the boards or ice after the play or smashing your face with a stick is pretty clearly outside the assumed risk in a beer league setting. It is even outside the scope of the NHL.

Cops/lawyers should absolutely be involved in the aforementioned situation.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Honest question here, will insurance cover this? Every time I've had an injury that sounded on paper like there could be a responsible party, my insurance has come after me with all sorts of dire warnings about how they won't cover my care if someone else is at fault. And just a quick read on USA Hockey's supplemental insurance suggests intentional injury isn't covered, only accidents during the normal course of a USA Hockey sanctioned event.

I got run over during a pickup game once by a kid sporting NDU from head to toe. My knee got dislocated and I went to the ER. Insurance covered it like they have anything else, and now I wear a knee brace when I do things like play hockey or go skiing.

bewbies posted:

The legal concept you two are awkwardly dancing around is called assumption of risk. We're all aware of the risks associated playing hockey and those are pretty well laid out in jurisprudence. Getting hit with an errant stick is pretty clearly part of the assumed risk of playing hockey anywhere anytime, but someone deliberately running you into the boards or ice after the play or smashing your face with a stick is pretty clearly outside the assumed risk in a beer league setting. It is even outside the scope of the NHL.

We've always operated under the assumption that if it happens on the ice, it stays on the ice. The only time I'm aware of the cops getting called was when a couple of guys on a losing team thought it was unfair that the other team stacked the roster with ringers and took it to the parking lot. Otherwise, get better and go skate.

Clearly my opinion differs from the thread's hivemind.

EDIT: Giving it some more thought... If the league/usa hockey chooses to do nothing over an incident like this is the only time I'd consider getting cops then lawyers involved.

delpheye fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 28, 2016

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I need you guys to come to a consensus on the legality of hitting another player across the head with my stick by Sunday so I know how angry I can get at my game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

delpheye posted:

Clearly my opinion differs from the thread's hivemind.

Your opinion is also idiotic, perhaps you should join the hivemind

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

bewbies posted:

Your opinion is also idiotic, perhaps you should join the hivemind

Oh personal attacks, those are fun. Maybe you would like to come play in my league? What the gently caress is the point of calling my opinion idiotic? I think your opinion makes you a pussy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy poo poo.

Someone skating full speed across the ice after a dead play with the sole intention of cross checking an unsuspecting player in the face, breaking his nose and cheek bones and causing major lacerations sending you to the hospital ... thats police territory. At the very least, the guy who did the shitbaggery should be paying any hospital fees and lost wages.

What the "victim" did was accepted hockey risk. A fast play into the corner where some incidental contact resulted into another player going into the boards. Fine, penalty for body checking or boarding. Done.

After the whistle blows for someone to charge him and use their stick as a weapon to break his face? Thats way more that accepted hockey risk.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

One time I hit a guy in the head with a baseball bat because he bumped me at home plate while I was catcher. He got the run but he can't count past 6 anymore. The umpire didn't eject me because baseball bats are a part of the game!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
but if he brought the bat to the parking lot though then we've crossed lines

one time I beat a man to death with my putter because he walked across my line. bitch knew the rules

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm filing the toe of my stick to a point right now. Fire up the BBQ because we're eating hockey kebabs this week.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm open to the idea of calling the cops if something bad enough happens on the ice. I signed up to play, not to be crippled by some ragey rear end in a top hat.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

clearly my assumption of risk is much higher than some, but hockey isn't my first contact sport so that may be why. I can only imagine the kind of clusterfuck that's generated by calling the cops to come assess fault on an ice rink.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bewbies posted:

You sound smarter at words than me.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

delpheye posted:

clearly my assumption of risk is much higher than some, but hockey isn't my first contact sport so that may be why. I can only imagine the kind of clusterfuck that's generated by calling the cops to come assess fault on an ice rink.

Cops don't assess fault, juries do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DeNofa posted:

You sound smarter at words than me.

He's better at hockey than us, and better at words too. Run for office, I'd vote for it.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

bewbies posted:

Cops don't assess fault, juries do.

There is no jury at the scene and the cops have to decide who to arrest/write citation. What else do you call it? blame?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Adrenaline being an excuse to break someones face is the dumbest loving thing. "Sorry lads I was excited my bad!"

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
You sound like someone who justifies rape because a woman was wearing a skirt or something

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

drizzle posted:

You sound like someone who justifies rape because a woman was wearing a skirt or something

If it happened in the club there's an assumption of risk, obviously.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

delpheye posted:

There is no jury at the scene and the cops have to decide who to arrest/write citation. What else do you call it? blame?

Is there a jury at a murder scene? A hit and run? A robbery?

This page is making my head explode. Where's that full page :psyboom: when you need it?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What ever happened to playful chirps and towel snaps in the locker room? poo poo you guys make it sound like a loving gladiator ring out on the ice.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a jury at a murder scene? A hit and run? A robbery?

This page is making my head explode. Where's that full page :psyboom: when you need it?

I'm talking about the decision making process by police to decide if they're going to arrest someone or write a ticket. That post was in reply to another, and surely you recognized that?

Call the cops all you want for whatever you think is an offense to your well being. All I'm saying is that poo poo happens, including in hockey and I don't feel like it requires the cops because some guy is an rear end in a top hat and took a game too far. I've seen malicious hits result in injuries and no one has called the cops or suggested it as a solution to anything. Those shitbags get banned from the league and in one case all of USAHockey, and we go back to playing the game.

My apologies to all the panties that got twisted, how dare someone have a different opinion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Different opinions are cool.

Objectively wrong and indefensible opinions are gonna get poo poo on though.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

delpheye posted:

I got run over during a pickup game once by a kid sporting NDU from head to toe. My knee got dislocated and I went to the ER. Insurance covered it like they have anything else, and now I wear a knee brace when I do things like play hockey or go skiing.

No offense, but what does your anecdote have to do with my question? If your insurance had done an investigation in that case they would've found it was an injury sustained during normal course of play, unless what you meant to say is that after the whistle when the play was dead some kid in NDU gear jumped on your knee as a deliberate act of battery.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

No offense, but what does your anecdote have to do with my question? If your insurance had done an investigation in that case they would've found it was an injury sustained during normal course of play, unless what you meant to say is that after the whistle when the play was dead some kid in NDU gear jumped on your knee as a deliberate act of battery.

My anecdote speaks to the fact that I suffered a hockey related injury caused by a 3rd party and UHC covered me.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
If I get hit by a drunk driver and hospitalized I'm just gonna let it go because that's life and I assumed the risk by getting in the car.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

delpheye posted:

My anecdote speaks to the fact that I suffered a hockey related injury caused by a 3rd party and UHC covered me.

Pretty sure that's true for 75% of the posters in this thread. Again, that says absolutely nothing about whether insurance will cover deliberate assault. It's a meaningful distinction; it's not unusual for normal health insurance to refuse to cover things like workplace injuries and traffic accidents where another party is financially responsible.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Pretty sure that's true for 75% of the posters in this thread. Again, that says absolutely nothing about whether insurance will cover deliberate assault. It's a meaningful distinction; it's not unusual for normal health insurance to refuse to cover things like workplace injuries and traffic accidents where another party is financially responsible.

I see what you're getting at. I think the practical answer is that if your insurance company is actually investigating a claim to that degree, you say whatever you have to so it gets covered. I'd have to wonder what avenue other than fear tactics an insurance company would even have to attempt denying coverage. If we're speaking strictly of a case of injury in a hockey game, it's up to you how you frame that event to your insurance company. Theoretically if you've called the cops and have police reports and whatnot, then you might have some obligation to tell them that? I've never had an insurance company question the details of my visit to the doctor/hospital other than "what work was performed" type questions, but if I did, I think's a matter of telling them only what they need to know.

Take this outside of a rink and say you're assaulted on the street. How could an insurance company possibly deny you coverage because someone else hit you? What is your expected recourse at that point? Call their insurance company and demand they pay for it?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Y'all bitchmade tbh

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I think football is the only other sport that people say, wherein the course of a game or on reflection, "The police shouldn't get involved".

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

delpheye posted:

Take this outside of a rink and say you're assaulted on the street. How could an insurance company possibly deny you coverage because someone else hit you? What is your expected recourse at that point? Call their insurance company and demand they pay for it?

I think they ask so they can know if there is someone they can potentially sue to recoup $.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hahahhaha yeah dude this isnt my first contact sport there are no rules on the ice there's a reason they have major penalties (it is to let the adrenaline wear off or recharge depending on who's team you are on!!!)

This line of reasoning is incredible.

Laws are just a manifestation of the conservative hive mind, wake up sheeple!!!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

delpheye posted:

Was your first contact sport Skateball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFcDCJyP9fo

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I thought major penalties were just shorthand for charges pressed, suits filed, think pieces written