Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In other news, looks like Bauer/Easton aren't doing so hot.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/shakeup-at-bauer-and-easton-amid-turmoil-and-financial-woes/

I'm a stock market dumbhead so am not super clear how a drop in stock price actually effects their ability to make and sell stuff, but convincing your shareholders to start suing you definitely isn't a good place to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Good, Bauer is the worst. Rip Easton

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

xzzy posted:

In other news, looks like Bauer/Easton aren't doing so hot.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/shakeup-at-bauer-and-easton-amid-turmoil-and-financial-woes/

I'm a stock market dumbhead so am not super clear how a drop in stock price actually effects their ability to make and sell stuff, but convincing your shareholders to start suing you definitely isn't a good place to be.

As your financial advisor, I recommend you buy 300 or so shares, sell it in 2 years after it goes up and pay your legal fees for running someone into the boards.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, legal fees. They signed up for paralysis when they put ice skates on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I quite like Bauer stuff and I quite like Easton sticks

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I know people who swear by the Stealth CX but I can't get it to play right. Much prefer the HTX in spite of its fragility

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

This, minus Bauer sticks. I've broken a shitload of those. Eastons seem to hold up better.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bauer's quality has declined rapidly over the past few years, so naturally they decided to cannibalize the company that made even more staffing mistakes than they did

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i like my apx stick because it's a joke stick that i give people when they have to borrow one. it's a goddamn pitching wedge

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a friend with a pro stock bickell stick and I couldn't hit the net on my first few shots for the life of me. That thing was so unpredictable/different from what I was used to it was like a trick stick. I put things high and wide and had to focus on keeping them low.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

sellouts posted:

Yeah I have no complaints about Bauer equipment. I used to use only Bauer sticks but I have been off them for probably 5 years or so. Now I kinda just buy whatever's on sale. Warriors and CCM's have been my go to sticks as of late but around Xmas time I got two for the price of one Sherwood T 75's. I think they're the 75's. Whatever they are they are 95 flex and were $59 for 2 shipped to my house so I can't complain about that even if they were poo poo sticks but I think I might try to stay with them when these break.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
If bauer only sold skates, helmets and gloves I would be happy.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

delpheye posted:

I see what you're getting at. I think the practical answer is that if your insurance company is actually investigating a claim to that degree, you say whatever you have to so it gets covered. I'd have to wonder what avenue other than fear tactics an insurance company would even have to attempt denying coverage. If we're speaking strictly of a case of injury in a hockey game, it's up to you how you frame that event to your insurance company. Theoretically if you've called the cops and have police reports and whatnot, then you might have some obligation to tell them that? I've never had an insurance company question the details of my visit to the doctor/hospital other than "what work was performed" type questions, but if I did, I think's a matter of telling them only what they need to know.

Take this outside of a rink and say you're assaulted on the street. How could an insurance company possibly deny you coverage because someone else hit you? What is your expected recourse at that point? Call their insurance company and demand they pay for it?

I've had 2 major injuries where the inquiries did go that far, and the insurance company was pretty aggressive about it and also pretty aggressive about making sure I knew that if I lied to them and they found out I would be deeply hosed. The first time I literally fell down the stairs (I get it, it sounds like domestic violence excuse #1); the second was a hockey injury. It was a non-USA Hockey game/rink and I was concerned I would be left with no fall back coverage but they accepted the (true) fact that I fell on my own in open ice.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

i like my apx stick because it's a joke stick that i give people when they have to borrow one. it's a goddamn pitching wedge

I'm gonna hit a goalie in the mask with that thing and get arrested for assault.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hey you pussies I'm leaving for my game now. I'm going to wrap my knuckles in tin foil. This rear end in a top hat I'm going to sucker punch in the back of the head should be ok with what's he's got coming since its fuckin hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Heard he looked at your girlfriends shinguards in a game. You gonna do something about it?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

"Hello, SPLC? I'd like to request intervention, regarding what #30 said to me last night when I walked him."

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Found some video of HZ's game:

Totally assumes the risk of getting decapitated when he got on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goalie seriously needs to work on his rebounds, I mean I could have scored that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Not even close to enough cross checking.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

I'm gonna hit a goalie in the mask with that thing and get arrested for assault.

These are the remarks that give you visa issues.

Also, Bauer makes the best skates and I'm a big fan of my one.9 goalie stick.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 29, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

I put things high and wide and had to focus on keeping them low.

As god intended.

It's so much easier to keep a shot low then it is to get it high.

P91A/W05 for lyfe.

On a side note, that curve is so easy to find in Pro-stock but impossible to find normal retail.

D C fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 29, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ice Hockey: You let one thing slide and motherfuckers start ice skating.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Once you step onto that ice it's anything goes Thunderdome. Survival is the real game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:drat: It looks like we have an actual functional, breathing hockey director!

This guy got an indefinite suspension for being a perpetual shithead every season:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

During my Wednesday game, a dude on the other team speared one of our guys. On his way to the box he head-butted another. He got 2x 5-minutes and a game. He got thrown out after the second major, and as he was skating off, he spit at our players on the ice. Pre-season game.

Everyone involved in this, 4 people in all, all got 3 games each. Seems a bit light for the broken nose, but you know, assumption of risk and all:

quote:

Just saw a pic on Facebook from a guy on my former Friday-night team. They were up by 5 with a minute left in the game and it looks like a melee broke out or something. His pic is of his face, with a broken nose in 2 places, and his ear got "torn" and his lip split open. There's a handful of ejections for fighting and third man in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Woah, we just got an email from the hockey director that there is no tolerance for fighting and will be scrutinized even more this season. Yay!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
But hitting someone in the face with your stick isn't necessarily fighting if they never take their gloves off right?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Ya in fact it is expected and part of the game

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only mention of assault in the rulebook is to protect referees. Players are fair game!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The only assault I want in my game is the sexual assault of rear end slapping after a good play

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
How was that guy not banned from the league? You're director is still a chuckle gently caress.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Come on man, bodily assault is only 2, 10 and a game. Read the league rulebook.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should play thunderdrome hockey here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPmQeC0jfg

Boarding someone will give them the injuries they truly deserve.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

How was that guy not banned from the league? You're director is still a chuckle gently caress.

Agree, but it's a vast vast vast improvement over "eh, gently caress it, 1 game."

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Why does it seem leagues are always run by incompetent people? We have a ref who plays on one of the teams in our division who refs our games a lot. Best part is when he's signed in and reffing the game. Our director is basically like whatever. Or as he claims there "all" the time. It took me a season and a half to actually find out what he looks like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because hockey players run them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Why does it seem leagues are always run by incompetent people? We have a ref who plays on one of the teams in our division who refs our games a lot. Best part is when he's signed in and reffing the game. Our director is basically like whatever. Or as he claims there "all" the time. It took me a season and a half to actually find out what he looks like.

Our situation sucks for a couple reasons.
- The pay they offer to put up with all the bullshit isn't good.
- Whenever they try to implement meaningful change, they get let go for changing things.

We haven't had a hockey director that has lasted for more than a season and a half since I started playing.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So playing in my 4v4 league, I collided with someone and somehow that tore the blade holder off the boot. Looks like I get to drive up to Dallas and shop around for new skates.

Oh yeah, the rivets were rusty and they broke, and were probably the reason I collided with the dude. One of those rare cases I can blame the equipment failing on me as a reason for bad play.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha posted:

So playing in my 4v4 league, I collided with someone and somehow that tore the blade holder off the boot. Looks like I get to drive up to Dallas and shop around for new skates.

Oh yeah, the rivets were rusty and they broke, and were probably the reason I collided with the dude. One of those rare cases I can blame the equipment failing on me as a reason for bad play.

I keep telling you to air your skates out at least overnight after use . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Our situation sucks for a couple reasons.
- The pay they offer to put up with all the bullshit isn't good.
- Whenever they try to implement meaningful change, they get let go for changing things.

We haven't had a hockey director that has lasted for more than a season and a half since I started playing.

Cmon, It can't be any worse than any other rink. It's absolutely no excuse for what passes for remotely acceptable in your league.

Bootcha posted:

Rivets are 2 dollars per rivet. Just get the poo poo reattached.