Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

oh darn and i was just about to say that intro makes me interested in the game but

meh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm-IYaf_hag

tales of xillia has a good op, and is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Rascyc posted:

but is there space

There's space in the trailer I think, but I'm 5 hours into the game itself and no space (there's been a spaceship and a couple of spacemen).

The Colonel posted:

zestiria has lots of good music that i enjoy listening to. i hope that go shiina is involved in berseria, so that we can possibly get a good tales game soundtrack, and also a good tales game at the same time this time

I like the song that I assume is Velvet's theme, it's got an action-y mix in PV2 and a soft piano mix at the beginning of PV3. I don't know what it is but I support it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the music we've heard in the trailers feels liek sakuraba leaning into his souls/bloodborne stuff, which has definitely been better than his tales stuff lately

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I wouldn't say Tales of Zesty Ranch is bad, per se. It's a pretty average-rear end game with an endearing cast, Lailah is best girl and Zaveid is my husbando. Just...it doesn't really do anything to stand out, and the one theoretically interesting system there (the equipment grid thingy) is kind of poorly-implemented. It's by no means FF3DS bad, or even ToS2 bad. It's just a pretty decent okay game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its good if you need a sleep aid

thats not a joke. sakuraba needs to start ripping off other people like he did in the past

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Zestiria is pretty bad but the thing is that everyone else I know either thinks the plot is deep and good, or bland. I'm apparently the only one who thinks it's bad in a deep way.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Zestria probably wouldn't be that bad if Caster groups weren't THE FUCKIN WORST.

I maybe hate the dumb RPS element to combat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I wouldn't say Tales of Zesty Ranch is bad, per se. It's a pretty average-rear end game with an endearing cast, Lailah is best girl and Zaveid is my husbando. Just...it doesn't really do anything to stand out, and the one theoretically interesting system there (the equipment grid thingy) is kind of poorly-implemented. It's by no means FF3DS bad, or even ToS2 bad. It's just a pretty decent okay game.

remember how an entire half of the game was cut for time despite the heroine being in all the trailers and promo art

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

corn in the bible posted:

remember how an entire half of the game was cut for time despite the heroine being in all the trailers and promo art
It's not a good game, but also I'm not broken up about it because Alisha was the least interesting person in the cast by a good deal :colbert:

It's a mid-low tier Tales game, and it would take a lot of mental gymnastics to say that it's worse than poo poo like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyY5_6_feyA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly we'll never really know what the plan was there. Maybe there was never meant to be some kind of an Alisha route, but rather she was meant to have a larger role in the plot as a non-party member that got kind of cut.

The game's about 2% of a game either way, though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

all of sakuraba's "overworld" themes in the tales series all sound exactly the same

dude is talented and all because his so and tales and vp(maybe?) and dark souls music all sound distinct but they really should give him some air

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I've been playing zesteria in short bursts over the past week or two and I'm like four hours in and I'm still getting tutorial pop up messages all the damned time. I also like how the character has an ability to discover monuments which he detects when I'm literally close enough to activate them. I also have no idea where to go.

The characters seem cool though. I like the bromance thing going on, and Lailah is pretty cool and I like how she tries to get out of giving exposition.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I didn't like how they managed to make the AI even worse than usual for a Tales game. Couldn't tell you how many times the AI combined or whatever it was called and rather than take advantage of it they ran around spastically and wasted it. The whole combination thing sucked in general. Being stuck with an incomplete party for huge chunks of the game was awful.

EDIT: I really didn't like this game. I seem to remember liking it well enough while playing it (aside from the tiny party/battle system kinks) but after it corrupted my save over halfway in and being given a chance to reflect it was just not very good. They should spend their time porting older titles to PC.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Leper Residue posted:

I've been playing zesteria in short bursts over the past week or two and I'm like four hours in and I'm still getting tutorial pop up messages all the damned time. I also like how the character has an ability to discover monuments which he detects when I'm literally close enough to activate them. I also have no idea where to go.

I liked the monuments until you realize there's only like 20 unique messages and then it kind of kills the enjoyment at finding the remaining 100 or so

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sunning posted:

It's also launching in a market where the Japanese home console industry has shrunk significantly. About four million of FF7's ten million sales came from Japan. It doesn't help that many old fans will be aging out and taking up mobile gaming.

Wow, I just realized that a whole generation of RPG fans grew up in the era where S-E was putting out FF12-15. Which maybe aren't the worst games ever (okay, FF14 1.0 is possibly the worst game ever), but I can't imagine they've made any new fans in a long while, other than people who went retro and played all the SNES and PSX games through various re-releases.

I feel like the Final Fantasy brand shouldn't be worth anything at this point, but I supposed FF15 will likely prove me wrong.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Clarste posted:

Wow, I just realized that a whole generation of RPG fans grew up in the era where S-E was putting out FF12-15. Which maybe aren't the worst games ever (okay, FF14 1.0 is possibly the worst game ever), but I can't imagine they've made any new fans in a long while, other than people who went retro and played all the SNES and PSX games through various re-releases.

I feel like the Final Fantasy brand shouldn't be worth anything at this point, but I supposed FF15 will likely prove me wrong.

ff13 sold crazy well though the sequels didnt

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ff13 sold crazy well though the sequels didnt

Yeah, but not many people liked it. The quality of a game has more of an effect on its sequel's sales than its own, because people were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt based on the good will earned by the brand name. Good will which is potentially lost? I feel like it's been long enough that it should be, but we'll see.

Edit: IE: You can't tell how good a game is before you buy it, therefore people will buy bad games but it sours them towards the sequels.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

and the one theoretically interesting system there (the equipment grid thingy) is kind of poorly-implemented.

i misread this as "equipment grind thingy" and i was like "yeah that was precisely the problem with it"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You realize square has been rrleasing ports and relations to the old games constantly also during the last 10 years. People who are young still grew up with the old ff in some way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There are a lot of smart phone and handheld ports of Final Fantasy stuff and that is apparently where the kids play but lots of sales there could just as easily be older fans buying them on their phone out of nostalgia and never playing them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My only personal experience with FF is playing the GBA and DS ports as a kid.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you know, i don't remember fighting that giant woman that edna fights in the zestiria op

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

you know, i don't remember fighting that giant woman that edna fights in the zestiria op

I think that was the echidna boss from the sewers, but a different size and in the wrong area

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Erg posted:

I think that was the echidna boss from the sewers, but a different size and in the wrong area

Just following a longstanding tradition

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The DS version totally fixed that. Totally.

What did the DS version change other than add annoying new dungeons again?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

The DS version comes with a poster of that exact picture :allears:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HGH posted:

Removed Frogs accent :argh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The DS translation is honestly an improvement. It's not some weirdly stilted super literal sort of take on it, it's just overall something that flows/sounds a lot better.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm-IYaf_hag

tales of xillia has a good op, and is good

I liked Xillia but have gotten stuck on some rear end in a top hat boss after I cured Minfillia of her...injury? Anime disease? I did all that and then I go through a lovely wasteland place and that weirdo manservant guy shows up and yells at me and then a dinosaur attacks and kills the poo poo out of me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked Xillia but have gotten stuck on some rear end in a top hat boss after I cured Minfillia of her...injury? Anime disease?

Being partially paralysed and losing function in your legs is the most anime disease.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Being partially paralysed and losing function in your legs is the most anime disease.

..."Minfillia"? :crossarms:

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 1, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Caphi posted:

Pray Return.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Caphi posted:

Ivar, Pray return to loving off.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The DS version comes with a poster of that exact picture :allears:.
Ok that's pretty funny.

But I meant that I remembered there being a snowy mountain as an extra dungeon where you fight a palette swap of that monster, which is as close as it gets without randomly giving Marle fire magic.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I will be upset if that video showing you being able to color your team in Etrian V is a prank. :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I will be upset if that video showing you being able to color your team in Etrian V is a prank. :(

they already confirmed that a a few weeks ago

' Players can customize the class, name, and outward appearance for a maximum of five party members. In addition to each of the 10 classes’ four different appearance options, you can also customize hair color, eye color, skin color, and voice (or set it to no voice).

Customization options include:

Hair color – 12 basic colors, or freely customize via RGB.
Skin color – 12 basic colors.
Eye color – 12 basic colors, or freely customize each eye via RGB.
Voices – 40 voices, or no voice.
'

this is from the 22nd

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh I only saw the video of them showing that off they posted it today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxzLwWSyeXs

That's great! I always wanted to make a party of hulks/shreks.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
Is there a way to have all the jobs unlocked from the start in Final Fantasy 5?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

psudonym55 posted:

Is there a way to have all the jobs unlocked from the start in Final Fantasy 5?
Use cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of them are pretty useless without equipment that doesn't show up til they do. And it's not like you get much abp early on.