Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Oxx: harry is being menaced by a clam
Occ: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Oxx: harry i am very disappointed in you
Occ: AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oxx: not even mickey was overcome by a bivalve
Occ: what are you talking about
mickey did everything for the clam
the irony, of course, is he never got it

Keep Clam and Carry On.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
...So the joke is you two aren't actually enjoying it right?

Because otherwise I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

Also just think if Davros continued his Dalek schemes with Clam based weaponry

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It'd be disoystrous.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
It's okay. You can just mussel through it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Still, it appearls to be a major clamamity.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

no

No.

NO.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Come on, get out of your shell.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Aw, shucks.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Aw, come on, cheer up!

It's not like they can get any worse!

'scallophill from here!

:haw:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Told you this story was a true pearl.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

come on, occ

don't be so crabby

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
We'll just keep chitin along.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

if doctor what, and only doctor what, reads through all of homestuck and provides every-hundred-pages book reports in the thread i will watch and review one (1) who thing of his choosing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

poo poo I need to get hopping I have no idea what we're referring to

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You might say Davros is an... egg-spert

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE

Hey when you review homestuck can you let us know who your favourite character is at a given point and why tia.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Having watched Part 1 now let me just confirm - this is "good" right? People like this?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Regy Rusty posted:

Having watched Part 1 now let me just confirm - this is "good" right? People like this?

No. Yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah I see

Why must we always destroy beauty

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Yep. The special effects, especially when viewed through a 40 year lens are not great, and the way TV is paced has changed a lot since then as well so it could take some adjusting to.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

In my opinion it's incredibly overrated and drags on for far too long, like much of the classic series. The Davros bits are generally good though, unlike almost anything else Davros has ever been in..

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao he stepped right in the loving clam

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
What I often suggest to people is to treat it like watching a play rather than a television show. You have to make some allowances based on what was possible given the conditions the thing was made under if you want to have any chance of enjoying it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's more like watching a play from a company who are occasionally brilliant but mostly just a bit poo poo.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
In other words, it's basically like watching a play.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

cargohills posted:

In my opinion it's incredibly overrated and drags on for far too long, like much of the classic series. The Davros bits are generally good though, unlike almost anything else Davros has ever been in..

It's as close as a Doctor Who Terry Nation script is ever going to get to good writing.

The pacing issues have a lot to do with changes in how TV shows work, both in terms of writing and direction and in terms of the technology. Don't bother with the classic series if you want your shows to cut straight to the money shots.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Narsham posted:

It's as close as a Doctor Who Terry Nation script is ever going to get to good writing.

That, or the Dalek Invasion of Earth.

I don't think Genesis has pacing issues. "Being slow paced" is not an issue.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not "good", it's good.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gently caress you, april fool's day :negative:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you judge Genesis by modern standards for quality then no, it's not very good.

But that's an absurd way to look at it unless you're doing it for the sake of comedy. It was made 40+ years ago and reflects that in everything it is. Compared to its contemporaries, it looks 'Fine'.

All sci fi shows of the era were given ridiculously small budgets with next to no exceptions. Star Trek ended nearly a decade earlier, BSG had yet to start, and over in Japan the Tokusatsu genre was floundering due to economic upheavals and the oil crisis.

For the time it was made, Who looked, Fine.

For this time period at least. See a trick with Who is that it was started in the 60s on an absurdly small budget, as it was effectively a PBS kids show and as the decades dragged on, that budget? Never really got better. So while the show started off looking incredibly cheap and went overbudget by a lot to get even the barest of quality done, they eventually found their footing and stabilized by the late 60s. The Late 60s through the mid to late 70s is when Who looked its best, quality wise, because they knew what they were doing, usually, and the cost of making a show had not yet skyrocketed past what they could cope with.

There are of course stinkers there where they attempted things that they could not possibly pull off, like Robot or Invasion of the Dinosaurs, but on the whole this was the best time for Who looking Of Quality.

Then the 80s happened and Who's quality took a sharp nosedive. Later Classic Who unarguably looks cheaper and worse than older Classic Who, and this is why. The cost of making a show went through the roof, while that budget of theirs staid rock bottom.

Who never really recovered from that either. Modern Who started over a decade ago, but time hasn't been unfair to its effects- look at its contemporaries, New Who looked like garbage from day one. We hit a stabilization period in Season 5, but then the same problem of trying to do anything outside of their reach results in utter garbage.

So yeah. Old Who was never great looking, but almost nothing was on TV back then. Or, largely, in movies either. Looking at you Gamera franchise.

The biggest hurdle with enjoying Old Who is just being able to accept that. I grew up watching movies and TV from drat near every era so I am very well versed in why Bride of Frankenstein, 1935, is one of the best movies ever made while House of Frankenstein, 1944, is an awful, awful piece of garbage.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

idonotlikepeas posted:

In other words, it's basically like watching a play.

I work in theatre, and this checks out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do they hold a lot of plays in quarries? :razz:

That was a quality use of a quarry. You don't get quarries like that in Who these days.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That, or the Dalek Invasion of Earth.

That is a much better story imo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Angela Christine posted:

That was a quality use of a quarry. You don't get quarries like that in Who these days.

You know, I'd go to a play in a quarry. That sounds kinda cool.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Angela Christine posted:

Even worse. They book "special" episodes to film in hot sandy places and it still looks worse than quality welsh quarries.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

That was a quality use of a quarry.

quarrity

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

you could almost say it...

rocked

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

The biggest hurdle with enjoying Old Who is just being able to accept that. I grew up watching movies and TV from drat near every era so I am very well versed in why Bride of Frankenstein, 1935, is one of the best movies ever made while House of Frankenstein, 1944, is an awful, awful piece of garbage.

Wow. This is a great paragraph and point. Can we go out drinking and talk about movies someday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Wow. This is a great paragraph and point. Can we go out drinking and talk about movies someday?

Would love to man

• Locked thread