Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

From what I read, it has a single microphone instead of an array like the Echo/Dot so it wouldn't work as well while always listening. Amazon always seems to err on the side of caution when it comes to walling people off from situations that would technically work but not work well enough to meet their expectations.

And yet they released the Fire Phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really don't understand why tap can't be set to be always listening. My phone is and it's battery powered.

I'm thinking this has something to do with power management; it's intended to last as long as possible so rather than having it waste power by listening constantly, you have to hit the button. It's implied that it's portable and thus within reach, because if you just want to set it somewhere and leave it plugged in with always-on voice recognition, then that's what the original Echo or Dot are for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Atomizer posted:

I'm thinking this has something to do with power management;

That's crap though because the amount of power it should expend doing that is minimal.

I'd I left my phone sit unused on wifi, it would last for days but it's always ready to respond hands free. It should at least let you switch always listening on when you are actively using it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Tap costs $129 to the Echo's $179. I would expect that one of the design goals for the Tap would have been "Don't undercut the Echo" -- otherwise they're destroying the market for their highest-end product. Compare how the Dot is available only to Echo owners.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You don't need to own an echo to order a dot. You can voice order it from the Amazon app.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bull3964 posted:

You don't need to own an echo to order a dot. You can voice order it from the Amazon app.
Oh, okay. When they first released it, you had to have an Echo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, okay. When they first released it, you had to have an Echo.

Nope, not even then. That's how they advertised it, but it wasn't necessary.

Besides all that, you could also order them through Alexa on the FireTV, including the FireTV sticks which there are tons of out there.

I preordered it on the day it was announced with a FireTV.

I would wager to say that most of the Dot purchasers out there do not own the original Echo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Nope, not even then. That's how they advertised it, but it wasn't necessary.

Besides all that, you could also order them through Alexa on the FireTV, including the FireTV sticks which there are tons of out there.

I preordered it on the day it was announced with a FireTV.

I would wager to say that most of the Dot purchasers out there do not own the original Echo.

Actually, they patched being able to order a Dot without ordering through Alexa. You think they'd want people buying in but I guess they're scared of idiots going 'my music sounds like poo poo NEGATIVE FIVE STARS' from trying to use it like an Echo with no connected speakers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
After using the Dot for a couple of days, it is glorious. When the Echo came out, I ordered one for my parents but passed on one for myself because I specifically wanted it to physically connect to my powered monitors. The Dot does this, is exactly as good as the Echo, and it's half the price. So awesome.

I'm excited to see how the competition responds, because Amazon is throwing down the gauntlet so hard with the Dot. Apple and Google have their work cut out for them producing something that is comparable or even better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

Actually, they patched being able to order a Dot without ordering through Alexa. You think they'd want people buying in but I guess they're scared of idiots going 'my music sounds like poo poo NEGATIVE FIVE STARS' from trying to use it like an Echo with no connected speakers.

You can still order from Alexa on a $35 Firetv stick. So the idea that they are limiting it to Echo owners so as to not undercut that device doesn't hold up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was way wrong on the Dot; my apologies.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was way wrong on the Dot; my apologies.

Mature and reasonable posting is not acceptable in IYG.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My suspicion is it is a staged rollout strategy to ensure it scales well. Start with the Echo, add Alexa to devices that people already have to give a taste, then introduce a more mainstream device.

The big thing to remember is Amazon is not a hardware company and they have no real reason to try to force people towards the Echo itself for higher margins. They want to get this tech in as many homes as possible so people start integrating voice ordering into their every day lives.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm still really fighting with myself about buying one of these things. I mean, I want one, but that's more just because of the new and cool factor.

What, if anything, about Alexa will I be able to do that I can't do with Google Now on my always-listening cell phone that I have on my person during all waking hours if I don't really have any smart home stuff?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hook it up to other things using ITTT? Play stuff in your Amazon music library? Those are the things I use it most for. Halfway through making a PB&J I discover we're about to be out. "Alexa, add peanut butter to the shopping list", then I go back to the PB&J. As it happens, my shopping list is in Remember the Milk, but I used ITTT to hook up Amazon's shopping list to RtM.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

I'm still really fighting with myself about buying one of these things. I mean, I want one, but that's more just because of the new and cool factor.

What, if anything, about Alexa will I be able to do that I can't do with Google Now on my always-listening cell phone that I have on my person during all waking hours if I don't really have any smart home stuff?

It's perfect for kitchen stuff. Voice timers, unit conversions, music. Not having to worry about battery life or having to interact with a touchscreen is very nice. The mic array is also way better than a single mic setup. It can hear you from a good distance away and you'll be shocked how clear the recording is if you listen to them on the site.

Of course, it's better if you're in Amazon's ecosystem. Being a prime member, having an Audible account, having some kindle books and paying the extra $25 a year to put all your music in the cloud, it all makes the Echo much more useful if you don't have smart home stuff to control. Thankfully that's starting to disappear as things like Spotify add support.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 2, 2016

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Thermopyle posted:

I use mine constantly to yell out dumb and lazy questions like "What time is it?" and "What's the weather like today?". And lots and lots of music.

I'm also still amused by asking Alexa how much wood a woodchuck could chuck (if a woodchuck could chuck wood).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ehh, all of that is literally stuff that you can do with Google Now and I have little problem with my phones mic and being able to recognize my voice input.

Sounds like it's not really for me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Ehh, all of that is literally stuff that you can do with Google Now and I have little problem with my phones mic and being able to recognize my voice input.

Sounds like it's not really for me.

It's one of those things like an e-ink Kindle where you need to use one for a bit to understand why it's a different experience.

(eh, should probably clarify that it's fine if your phone works for you. there's nothing wrong with that. not trying to argue you out of that.)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 2, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's one of those things like an e-ink Kindle where you need to use one for a bit to understand why it's a different experience.

(eh, should probably clarify that it's fine if your phone works for you. there's nothing wrong with that. not trying to argue you out of that.)

You didn't need to clarify I'm not in constant need to defend my purchase!

Anyway, I'm not sure that's a valid comparison. So far no one has mentioned anything that my phone cannot do unlike with eink which you can read for hours without melting out your eyeballs. The best argument seems to be that the microphone setup would be better on the Echo, but I don't have any problem with the microphone setup on my phone...likely because it's always within 2 feet of my face instead of across the room.

I mean, I'm sure the Echo is amazing at what it does, but I haven't been convinced it provides any value to someone with a good Android phone with always-listening (as long as you're not tied to the Amazon ecosystem).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm not defending my purchase. You asked a question. I tried to answer it. If you don't want one, don't buy it. (It's even the thread title! On paper it doesn't seem like a giant difference but in practice there's a bunch of people that have phones and also use their echos. That's why I made the e-ink comparison. There's a ton of people out there happy enough with their phone because it does everything and it's in color for their comics and it's always in their pocket and it doesn't hurt their eyes to read and...that's ok. Some people dig the omnipresent nature of the Echo. Some people are fine with pulling their phones out.)

I tried to clarify because I know my writing style can come off a little strong.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 3, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
For my uses, I'm considering selling my Echo and just keeping a Dot. I use Sonos for music, so I don't use the Echo speaker that much. My Dot arrived today, and it seems perfect for me: home automation, weather and commute info, grocery list.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thermopyle posted:

You didn't need to clarify I'm not in constant need to defend my purchase!

Anyway, I'm not sure that's a valid comparison. So far no one has mentioned anything that my phone cannot do unlike with eink which you can read for hours without melting out your eyeballs. The best argument seems to be that the microphone setup would be better on the Echo, but I don't have any problem with the microphone setup on my phone...likely because it's always within 2 feet of my face instead of across the room.

I mean, I'm sure the Echo is amazing at what it does, but I haven't been convinced it provides any value to someone with a good Android phone with always-listening (as long as you're not tied to the Amazon ecosystem).

for me... Echo is always in the same place ready to go. My phone is not..

Also the ability to turn up the heat, hands free order diapers and have the daily news read to me is also very nice.

The biggest difference in the two systems though is that Amazon lets people develop for its API so you can always add new "skills" as they're available where as Siri/Google now is limited to their in house development cycle.

The only thing I wish it did different is be able to distinguish who is talking to it and let me assign permissions for known users vs guest.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's the thing. I don't have pockets in most of my clothes, so my phone lives in my purse or on the nearest flat surface. When I'm in the kitchen up to my elbows in bread dough, Echo is right there, ready to reorder flour, play some music, or set a timer for 30 minutes, all of which I can do in rapid succession while kneading. That's why I use it; it's entirely reasonable to decide that it doesn't work for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm not defending my purchase. You asked a question. I tried to answer it. If you don't want one, don't buy it. (It's even the thread title! On paper it doesn't seem like a giant difference but in practice there's a bunch of people that have phones and also use their echos. That's why I made the e-ink comparison. There's a ton of people out there happy enough with their phone because it does everything and it's in color for their comics and it's always in their pocket and it doesn't hurt their eyes to read and...that's ok. Some people dig the omnipresent nature of the Echo. Some people are fine with pulling their phones out.)

I tried to clarify because I know my writing style can come off a little strong.

I wasn't saying you were. I was saying I wasn't. I didn't even consider that you were.

Anyway, FWIW, I don't usually pull my phone out. it hears and responds just fine in my pocket.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

The biggest difference in the two systems though is that Amazon lets people develop for its API so you can always add new "skills" as they're available where as Siri/Google now is limited to their in house development cycle.

Yes, I was hoping some people would tell me some neat things people have made with this. doesn't really sound like there's been much done with it that doesn't revolve around smart home stuff, though.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, I was hoping some people would tell me some neat things people have made with this. doesn't really sound like there's been much done with it that doesn't revolve around smart home stuff, though.

Nah there is tons of nonsmart home stuff I just don't care or think to care about it. People have got creative with the IFTTT integrations too.

http://lovemyecho.com/2016/03/04/complete-listing-of-alexa-skills-as-of-3416/

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Thermopyle posted:

I've heard this question being asked hundreds of times by many people but ultimately there is no point in answering it. Amazon already does a pretty good job in describing what the Alexa devices are capable of, so usually what people are really asking is "What Alexa will do for me that I can't do with google now?" and that is something only you can answer. I could say that Alexa is probably a bit faster than Siri or Google now in coming up with a response, and you could respond "Pfft, so what if I have to wait a couple extra seconds?". I could point out that it's unlikely that Google Now could read you books purchased from Google Play Books like how Alexa could read kindle books, and you could respond "Pfft, I don't buy e-books and if I did I can read them myself thank you very much". I could note that you could use the echo to repurchase stuff you already bought from Amazon by just asking, and you could respond "Pfft, I don't use Amazon.". The point is if you can't answer that question yourself then we aren't going to be able provide a satisfactory answer either.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

benisntfunny posted:

Nah there is tons of nonsmart home stuff I just don't care or think to care about it. People have got creative with the IFTTT integrations too.

http://lovemyecho.com/2016/03/04/complete-listing-of-alexa-skills-as-of-3416/

Jeopardy's a fun novelty for guests. It asks a series of six questions a day and it has the chime noise from the show. Always impresses despite people naturally talking over each other which registers as a wrong answer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's got a bunch of stuff to keep kids occupied for 5 minutes. Choose your own adventure, 20 questions style stuff, jokes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mikemil828 posted:

I could say that Alexa is probably a bit faster than Siri or Google now in coming up with a response, and you could respond "Pfft, so what if I have to wait a couple extra seconds?".

I could but I wouldn't because that's an idiotic response.

mikemil828 posted:

I could point out that it's unlikely that Google Now could read you books purchased from Google Play Books like how Alexa could read kindle books, and you could respond "Pfft, I don't buy e-books and if I did I can read them myself thank you very much".

Well, I would say that I'm not interested in having ebooks read to me, but that's not a ding against the Echo it's just that it's something I don't care about. But, it's a very valid and useful answer to my question so I'm not sure why you're dismissing it.

mikemil828 posted:

I could note that you could use the echo to repurchase stuff you already bought from Amazon by just asking, and you could respond "Pfft, I don't use Amazon.". The point is if you can't answer that question yourself then we aren't going to be able provide a satisfactory answer either.

That seems useful.

I'm not sure why you're so eager to dismiss these valid and useful responses to my question. In fact every answer in this thread that highlighted things that I can't do with Google Now are valid and interesting responses. You seem to be coming from a place where you feel the answers have to be a form of arguing me into buying one, whereas I just asked for cool things that Alexa can do that Google Now can't.

The biggest problem so far is that like 75% of the responses to the question "what can Echo do that Google Now can't" are literally things that Google Now can do...but that's hardly the fault of the Echo or the people responding who don't know what Google Now can do.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 3, 2016

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally I have an iPhone and it doesn't do listening when it's not plugged in. So Alexa isn't really competing with my phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

smackfu posted:

Personally I have an iPhone and it doesn't do listening when it's not plugged in. So Alexa isn't really competing with my phone.

Yeah, if your phone requires that it's definitely not going to compete. A large part of the appeal is minimizing the extra work you have to do get answers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We also find it useful just for low friction ambient music. Like while cooking or cleaning, it's just one command to get something playing and the speaker is perfectly fine for that purpose. We have Bluetooth speakers and a proper stereo but it's just more work to use them, especially for the less technologically adept in our household.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Well a main obvious difference is that the Echo can be used by more than one person, whether that's your partner, friends over at your house, etc.

It also has far better microphones so it picks up commands from across the room fairly effortlessly. Many people don't want to be married to their phone at all times especially if they're relaxing in their house. Like, when I turn off our Hue lights, many times I'm in bed. I don't want or need my phone in my bed with me. Or if I'm laying down without my phone and want to play music on Spotify.

If you're a single dude, don't care if your friends can use voice controls, and have your phone on you 100% of the time at home (and also simultaneously don't see the benefit of being able to command your home without your phone next to you), then fine, I guess they're kind of the same.

That's kind of a niche demographic though when you get down to it, IMO

smackfu posted:

We also find it useful just for low friction ambient music. Like while cooking or cleaning, it's just one command to get something playing and the speaker is perfectly fine for that purpose. We have Bluetooth speakers and a proper stereo but it's just more work to use them, especially for the less technologically adept in our household.

This is specifically why I got the Dot, effortlessly controlling Spotify through our main sound system is so good, especially when cooking, lounging, etc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

smackfu posted:

I use mine a ton just for listening to radio through tune in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

smackfu posted:

This is a good idea, I'm just not sure if its worth transferring dozens of playlists from Google Play Music All Access to Amazon, but it's tempting...

Taima posted:

Well a main obvious difference is that the Echo can be used by more than one person, whether that's your partner, friends over at your house, etc.

It also has far better microphones so it picks up commands from across the room fairly effortlessly. Many people don't want to be married to their phone at all times especially if they're relaxing in their house. Like, when I turn off our Hue lights, many times I'm in bed. I don't want or need my phone in my bed with me. Or if I'm laying down without my phone and want to play music on Spotify.

If you're a single dude, don't care if your friends can use voice controls, and have your phone on you 100% of the time at home (and also simultaneously don't see the benefit of being able to command your home without your phone next to you), then fine, I guess they're kind of the same.

That's kind of a niche demographic though when you get down to it, IMO

This is specifically why I got the Dot, effortlessly controlling Spotify through our main sound system is so good, especially when cooking, lounging, etc.

Unfortunately the wife has zero interest in voice commanding anything. It's certainly a checkbox in Alexa's favor for some. But really your post sounds like you feel the need to defend the Echo as if someone was critiquing it here. I'm certainly not.

How does the Echo handle the fact that both my wife and I have different tastes in music and each of us have completely different playlists? Are they all just in one big pile and you have to make sure they're named uniquely?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Somebody on the Echo subreddit got creative.

:psyduck:

Thermopyle posted:

How does the Echo handle the fact that both my wife and I have different tastes in music and each of us have completely different playlists? Are they all just in one big pile and you have to make sure they're named uniquely?

Pretty much. Just add the name of the person in front of it.

Or, if your MP3 tags are in order, you can just ask for a genre of music instead of using a playlist. Like I'll ask mine 'alexa, play funk music' and it will shuffle all my music in the cloud with funk as the genre.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2016

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Thermopyle posted:

I could but I wouldn't because that's an idiotic response.

Tell that to the last person I told that to. Like I said I see this question a lot, mostly by threadshitters in other forums.

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure why you're so eager to dismiss these valid and useful responses to my question. In fact every answer in this thread that highlighted things that I can't do with Google Now are valid and interesting responses. You seem to be coming from a place where you feel the answers have to be a form of arguing me into buying one, whereas I just asked for cool things that Alexa can do that Google Now can't.

The biggest problem so far is that like 75% of the responses to the question "what can Echo do that Google Now can't" are literally things that Google Now can do...but that's hardly the fault of the Echo or the people responding who don't know what Google Now can do.

Because like I said there is no point in answering the question. If the 25% of responses you've gotten that are valid haven't convinced you to dump google now and go with the Echo, then there isn't any point in elaborating any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Unfortunately the wife has zero interest in voice commanding anything. It's certainly a checkbox in Alexa's favor for some.

If her only experience right now is talking to your phone in your pocket than I can understand why she doesn't have any interest. I think it's a little different when it's a really simple kitchen appliance. I don't know why it's different, it just is. There's very few other ways to interact with this device, and talking to it works very naturally and seems kinda normal.