Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

5er posted:

Someone send that girl to Tokyo so she can yell at all the businessmen in 3-piece suits for culturally appropriating the West.

B-b-but Colonialism!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shouldn't Japan be excempt from cultural appropriation stuff because they were a colonizer not a colony and easily up there with Belgium as one of the most horrifically brutal colonial powers.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
has this been posted yet?

https://www.change.org/p/san-francisco-state-university-remove-bonita-tindle-from-campus-for-intimidation-racism-and-bullying

quote:

Imagine, if this was a white man, PHYSICALLY GRABBING a young black girl with dyed blonde hair, threatening to hurt her and cut her hair off, saying that she had no right to have a hairstyle of her choice. Does this young man not deserve the same rights? Should he be allowed to be touched by anyone, WITHOUT HIS CONSENT? She blocked him trying to leave the confrontation peacefully, and tried to PULL HIM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS. This is assault.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
So what's the tumblr line on white Europeans who were kidnapped by Indians and were assimilated into their tribes?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Borneo Jimmy posted:

So what's the tumblr line on white Europeans who were kidnapped by Indians and were assimilated into their tribes?

That is easy man clearcut cultural appropriation. It wouldn't have happened if they hadn't come to North America to force the cishet views onto the natives.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I didn't see it posted, but apparently the guy who recorded the incident is pressing charges for assault. Tindle has already been removed from the Associated Students of San Francisco State University.

I'm thinking the odds are 50/50 that this either ruins her life or turns into a massive opportunity for her.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Blistex posted:

I didn't see it posted, but apparently the guy who recorded the incident is pressing charges for assault. Tindle has already been removed from the Associated Students of San Francisco State University.

I'm thinking the odds are 50/50 that this either ruins her life or turns into a massive opportunity for her.

i think she's an idiot but this dude is a big wiener.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
False imprisonment and/or interrogation under duress (cameraman blocking her path after she had been assaulted) is also a crime.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
As a white person, Goldstein is a member of a privileged group that controls the world's banking & economy and should probably be gassed.

Check your privilege, fams.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

As a Native I assure you that they saw the many benefits of their liberator's culture and massive sexual promiscuity.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i think she's an idiot but this dude is a big wiener.

Hate the game, not the player

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's just mad because a black person going to school and having an educated opinion is cultural appropriation of pre-brown v board of education white culture.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

oh im gonna write you such an argument >:[

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

As a Native I assure you that they saw the many benefits of their liberator's culture and massive sexual promiscuity.

:eyepop:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
everyone in that video is dead now. safe space is called hevean rip

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

everyone in that video is dead now. safe space is called hevean rip

That's appropriation of 1990s "do the right thing" culture. :colbert:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

He's just mad because a black person going to school and having an educated opinion is cultural appropriation of pre-brown v board of education white culture.

Honestly when I see a black woman act that way I instantly think about how she's appropriating white culture by pretending to be offended by something that does not matter.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I wish both of them had had guns so this matter could have been resolved quickly and efficiently in this grand old US of A

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

We worked 2-4 hours a day and didn't have STDs, what did you think we were going to do with our time, invent an alphabet?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

argondamn posted:

Honestly when I see a black woman act that way I instantly think about how she's appropriating white culture by pretending to be offended by something that does not matter.

Yeah I mean she can just say his hair looks like poo poo without some intellectual justification. I guess actually washing his locks would be even more cultural appropriation of black people though.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Applewhite posted:

What if it happened in China where Chinese people have all the power and white people have very little?

Kung Food posted:

Something something Colonialism something something. So it still doesn't count.

Yeah, this.

However, in parts of Africa, different colors of people can be racist to each other, because they're far enough away from white people that their own absolute authority can then create the race + power dynamic.

Back to reality and seriousposting.

I mean, I get it, institutional racism is terrible, and from what I've seen few other countries match the current USA horrors as seen with places like Baltimore with the cops / drug laws / terrible schools / school to prison pipeline, but that doesn't eliminate racism from every other race.

'Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior' applies to everyone. Racism + power = institutional racism. The term already exists, they don't need to redefine the word we have already. Trying to make it not exist anymore vs. white people is a rhetorical trick that is annoying at best, intellectually dishonest at worst. I'd say it's the one thing that snapped me out of hard-core leftism and into a more centrist way of thinking.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Blistex posted:

She's not Sharpton enough to capitalize on this opportunity.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

a happy snowman posted:

Yeah, this.

However, in parts of Africa, different colors of people can be racist to each other, because they're far enough away from white people that their own absolute authority can then create the race + power dynamic.

Back to reality and seriousposting.

I mean, I get it, institutional racism is terrible, and from what I've seen few other countries match the current USA horrors as seen with places like Baltimore with the cops / drug laws / terrible schools / school to prison pipeline, but that doesn't eliminate racism from every other race.

'Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior' applies to everyone. Racism + power = institutional racism. The term already exists, they don't need to redefine the word we have already. Trying to make it not exist anymore vs. white people is a rhetorical trick that is annoying at best, intellectually dishonest at worst. I'd say it's the one thing that snapped me out of hard-core leftism and into a more centrist way of thinking.

The whole "White people can't experience racism" thing seems like a dumb, but efficient way around annoying debate loopholes where reverse-racism comes up. It's a condensed way of saying "you're experience is waaay less harsh than mine." It's dumb shorthand and I wish the conversation could use some better language.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I think CNN had an article recently called "Dear white people with dreads" because of this.

I think articles should be like "Look at this poo poo this poo poo is dumb" instead of giving this situation any "on the other hand" reasoning

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Question:

Is it possible to hate ghetto attitudes, rap music etc. and not be racist? Like if you are totally fine with black people in general but think that certain things are just toxic? Like I don't like ya dude college kids who are mostly white but that isn't racist. Can I not like thug life embracing self defeating idiots?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

RaceBannon posted:

I think CNN had an article recently called "Dear white people with dreads" because of this.

I think articles should be like "Look at this poo poo this poo poo is dumb" instead of giving this situation any "on the other hand" reasoning

Dear ____ people articles are always a disaster

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Demonachizer posted:

Question:

Is it possible to hate ghetto attitudes, rap music etc. and not be racist? Like if you are totally fine with black people in general but think that certain things are just toxic? Like I don't like ya dude college kids who are mostly white but that isn't racist. Can I not like thug life embracing self defeating idiots?

Sorry, someone made a comic about how "I like Black people but not their culture" is actually stealth racism so you can't use it anymore without being racist.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Demonachizer posted:

Question:

I think so, I have a black friend who grew up homeless and there's a lot of aspects about black culture he dislikes, the anti-intellectualism, he got beat up for acting white when some people caught him reading for pleasure.

Applewhite posted:

Sorry, someone made a comic about how "I like Black people but not their culture" is actually stealth racism so you can't use it anymore without being racist.

I thought he was only racist against Native Alaskans and Asians though while being a huge Korra fan. :smith:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think so, I have a black friend who grew up homeless and there's a lot of aspects about black culture he dislikes, the anti-intellectualism, he got beat up for acting white when some people caught him reading for pleasure.

Personally I think the whole "white people are boring nerds" thing is worse for minorities than it is for white people because oh look, being educated and liking nice things is #stuffwhitepeoplelike and you don't want to be caught being like them. You want to be "authentic" which just so happens to also involve being ignorant and poor.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
I'm not reading 15 pages, did anyone post this yet

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
The first time I heard about cultural appropriation it was in an article about Miley Cyrus's infamous grammy awards or whatever. People were all upset that she was twerking, that it should be exclusively black folk thing. Then they complained that the background black people dancers were being objectified or something

Ugh. But as dumb as the idea of cultural appropriation is, the image above with the sports fan and india is p disrespectful. I guess if you're wearing some minority as some kind of goofy costume, I can see why people are upset. Like blackface.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i hope that guy gets suspended for having dreadlocks because he probably smells like a zoo!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Last Buffalo posted:

The whole "White people can't experience racism" thing seems like a dumb, but efficient way around annoying debate loopholes where reverse-racism comes up. It's a condensed way of saying "you're experience is waaay less harsh than mine." It's dumb shorthand and I wish the conversation could use some better language.

Reverse racism is just a term to try and soften/legitimize actual racism.

<white person> "I was not allowed to join ______ because I am white. They even said it outright!"
<a non-white person> "Ohhhh, that's reverse-racism. . . you know because you are white and have privilege."

It's something that people say to basically agree, "yes it's technically racism, but they get a pass/it's no big deal because you are white."

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Corey Goldstein

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Corey Goldstein

Whoa, whats with the antisemitism?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lurk Ethic posted:

I'm not reading 15 pages, did anyone post this yet

It was pretty good when the redskins fans asked the native americans to leave that one public meeting because their presence was making people feel uncomfortable.

Applewhite posted:

Personally I think the whole "white people are boring nerds" thing is worse for minorities than it is for white people because oh look, being educated and liking nice things is #stuffwhitepeoplelike and you don't want to be caught being like them. You want to be "authentic" which just so happens to also involve being ignorant and poor.

Cultural ideas like that do hold people back a lot, however some things do unexpectedly promote education and literacy, like rap music. Studies have found that students who were extremely enthusiastic about rap music had a higher literacy rate than average since they'd go online and read what rappers wrote and take the time to look up words they didn't know. Turns out when rappers wax eloquent their sentence structure and word choice gets pretty complex and a lot of young people have greatly improved their reading comprehension by meditating about the musing of Old Dirty Bastard.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Turns out when rappers wax eloquent their sentence structure and word choice gets pretty complex and a lot of young people have greatly improved their reading comprehension by meditating about the musing of Old Dirty Bastard.

okay i'll give you liquid swords but how does kanye factor into this equation

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

okay i'll give you liquid swords but how does kanye factor into this equation

rap music sucks nowadays so that trend of eloquence will clearly start disappearing.

kids these days and their auto tune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Kendrick Lamar is pretty good. I wonder how many people thought swimming pools was a drinking song only to look up the lyrics and find out that its a denouncement on his struggles with alcoholism.

• Locked thread