Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
After months of declining the option to claim my free upgrade, it seems I no longer have a choice :(

This better not gently caress my computer up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Is it a laptop? I've had trouble with upgrades on laptops but none so far on desktops.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you only had a year to find a better time to do this

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I uninstalled my upgrader lol

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
blammo https://github.com/rn10950/I-Dont-Want-Windows-10/releases/tag/2.0

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I bet if you clicked "I need more time" it would actually let you opt out altogether.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Watch this OP bitch be salty when he wants Win10 in a year and it isn't free anymore.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Rage posted:

Watch this OP bitch be salty when he wants Win10 in a year and it isn't free anymore.

lol do you not understand why they're shoving it down everyones throats for free?
this is like thinking facebook is going to start charging you money to hand your personal information to advertisers

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

I think this is what I use, or something else like it. I installed it a while ago and now I forgot Win10 updates even exist. It also let me delete the huge file Windows was trying to download for Win10.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I dodged windows 8, I'm gonna dodge windows 10.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I dodged windows 8, I'm gonna dodge windows 10.

windows 10 is really good. check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Youtube is blocked at work ever since the "Toilet Shoes" incident.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Mine upgraded while I was away. It's gone almost a whole day without just freezing for no reason. Good job Microsoft!

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i get home from work and my computer has windows 10 on it im going to start slaughtering everybody

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
is there any reason not to opt out and keep Windows 7?

I use my home computer for work stuff so I need it to be reliable and stable for the foreseeable future, I don't really want to roll the dice on this. and I don't trust Microsoft giving me something for "free"

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

City of Tampa posted:

is there any reason not to opt out and keep Windows 7?

ease of brand interaction

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Windows 7 was the perfect windows they finally got it exactly right and then realized no one would ever need to buy their product again. A product you only need to buy once is bad for business.
Same reason why GM is keeping a lid on the lightbulb that never burns out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I had Windows 10 for a bit, but the audio would stop working every time the computer went to sleep. Not sure if they ever fixed it, but I reverted back to Windows 7.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Windows 7 was the perfect windows they finally got it exactly right and then realized no one would ever need to buy their product again. A product you only need to buy once is bad for business.
Same reason why GM is keeping a lid on the lightbulb that never burns out.

only people who haven't upgraded to 10 actually think this

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I had Windows 10 for a bit, but the audio would stop working every time the computer went to sleep. Not sure if they ever fixed it, but I reverted back to Windows 7.

then what happened

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I've had windows 10 for months now and no problem whatsoever. Stop being whiny bitches I guess?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 6, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Goatfather posted:

only people who haven't upgraded to 10 actually think this

Unlike you I don't particularly enjoy targeted ads piped directly to my UI and I'm not interested in mandatory distributed computing, thx.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

beedeebee posted:

I've had windows 10 for months now and now problem whatsoever. Stop being whiny bitches I guess?

Itchy and Scratchy Island, where nothing could possibleye go wrong...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i disabled all the poo poo and removed the updates, but still the windows 10 virus kept managing to install itself. eventually i broke down and reformatted my computer (it needed it anyway, got to clear out the cobwebs). i used an old version of windows 7 from before microsoft even planned windows 10, and i disabled the automatic updates so they can't sneak their bullshit onto my computer any more.

it's been 1 month now and not a windows 10 peep, i think i finally killed it

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Does accepting the upgrade kill my Windows 7 serial number?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo, that's bad my software doesn't work on 10 and I have a ton of customers that got windows machines asking to upgrade to 10 all the time because the turds on our helpdesk can't build a computer from an image.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

windows 10 is basically a spyware operating system that's why it's free

spend some time disabling all of the tracking and it's fine

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bradzilla posted:

windows 10 is basically a spyware operating system that's why it's free

spend some time disabling all of the tracking and it's fine

ha thats what they want you to think sheep

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

i disabled all the poo poo and removed the updates, but still the windows 10 virus kept managing to install itself. eventually i broke down and reformatted my computer (it needed it anyway, got to clear out the cobwebs). i used an old version of windows 7 from before microsoft even planned windows 10, and i disabled the automatic updates so they can't sneak their bullshit onto my computer any more.

it's been 1 month now and not a windows 10 peep, i think i finally killed it

That's a lot of work to be a Luddite. Since you were reformatting anyways you probably should have just gone up to 10

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

beedeebee posted:

I've had windows 10 for months now and no problem whatsoever. Stop being whiny bitches I guess?

This, lotta Luddite baby back bitches in this thread.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im waiting for a better deal on it

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
windows 10 literally has zero advantages over windows 7

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Na'at posted:

That's a lot of work to be a Luddite. Since you were reformatting anyways you probably should have just gone up to 10

i like to pretend that microsoft hadn't built government backdoors into their operating systems until recently

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Here's a cool powershell script (not mine, but compiled from a few sources) for my GBS bros to disable a lot of the Windows 10 tracking and data collection poo poo so you can "stick it to the man" :

code:
    REM This should be run with command prompt as an adminstrator.
    REM Disable the antivirus and Windows Defender.
    REM This does not fix all privacy issues, you will still need to turn off some.

REM opt-out of some, but not all, of the privacy settings.
    REM Not all anti-privacy settings have been found.

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> let apps use my ID …
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Id /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> let websites provide locally …
    reg add “HKCU\Control Panel\International\User Profile\ /v HttpAcceptLanguageOptOut” /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> speech, inking, & typing
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\ /v RestrictImplicitTextCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\ /v RestrictImplicitInkCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TrainedDataStore\ /v HarvestContacts /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Personalization\Settings\ /v AcceptedPrivacyPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Disables web search in the search box
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\ /v BingSearchEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Block telemetry.
    powershell.exe -command "Get-Service DiagTrack | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled"
    powershell.exe -command "Get-Service dmwappushservice | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled"
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Remove system access to the AutoLogger-Diag-Listener.etl
    REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener\ /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Finished. 
After this you should restart then go into the privacy settings in Windows and go through, disabling everything you don't want on.

edit: OK, OK, removed the hosts file changes. To block communication with the telemetry servers, looks like you need to use your router or a third party firewall. Windows firewall apparently doesn't work to block everything (not surprisingly). :shrug:

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 10, 2016

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

i like to pretend that microsoft hadn't built government backdoors into their operating systems until recently

*runs Win7 updates*

*installs same backdoor as Win10*

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pawn 17 posted:

Here's a cool powershell script (not mine, but compiled from a few sources) for my GBS bros to disable a lot of the Windows 10 tracking and data collection poo poo so you can "stick it to the man" :

code:
    REM This should be run with command prompt as an adminstrator.
    REM Disable the antivirus and Windows Defender.
    REM This does not fix all privacy issues, you will still need to turn off some.

REM First, block Windows from sending data about you to their servers.

echo ## BEGIN Windows 10 privacy settings ##>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 vortex.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 survey.watson.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.live.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 compatexchange.cloudapp.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 a-0001.a-msedge.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 corp.sts.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 pre.footprintpredict.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 bingads.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 [url]www.bingads.microsoft.com[/url]>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo ## END Windows 10 privacy settings ##>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

REM opt-out of some, but not all, of the privacy settings.
    REM Not all anti-privacy settings have been found.

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> let apps use my ID …
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Id /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> let websites provide locally …
    reg add “HKCU\Control Panel\International\User Profile\ /v HttpAcceptLanguageOptOut” /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> speech, inking, & typing
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\ /v RestrictImplicitTextCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\ /v RestrictImplicitInkCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TrainedDataStore\ /v HarvestContacts /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Personalization\Settings\ /v AcceptedPrivacyPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Disables web search in the search box
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\ /v BingSearchEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Block telemetry.
    powershell.exe -command "Get-Service DiagTrack | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled"
    powershell.exe -command "Get-Service dmwappushservice | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled"
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Remove system access to the AutoLogger-Diag-Listener.etl
    REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener\ /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Finished. 
After this you should restart then go into the privacy settings in Windows and go through, disabling everything you don't want on.

This doesn't work because Win10 ignores the hosts file for telemetry/spyware functions. You need to block them at the network level (router/firewall appliance).
Also all the telemetry poo poo got backported to Win7 so unless you stopped updates altogether you have the same bullshit on your windows 7 machine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Rage posted:

*runs Win7 updates*

*installs same backdoor as Win10*

no i told you i turned off the updates!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

NihilismNow posted:

This doesn't work because Win10 ignores the hosts file for telemetry/spyware functions. You need to block them at the network level (router/firewall appliance).
Also all the telemetry poo poo got backported to Win7 so unless you stopped updates altogether you have the same bullshit on your windows 7 machine.

Well drat, I guess ignore the modifications to hosts in the script. You can still use the list for your firewall though!

For Win7, I believe there are certain updates you should avoid installing to keep the Microsoft spyware off your machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i don't care about government backdoors and I'm not a luddite

I just need to know that solidworks and autocad are going to function OK with Windows 10 without drama or any downtime, and I don't want ads on my desktop or in my start menu ever

• Locked thread