Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Parallax Scroll posted:

it doesnt ask you to upgrade to windows 10

I declined the first time it asked and hid the "get windows 10" thing on my taskbar and it hasn't asked since :shrug:

But what I mean is, functionality-wise. Is there anything that is functionally different in 10 that warrants upgrading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

I declined the first time it asked and hid the "get windows 10" thing on my taskbar and it hasn't asked since :shrug:

But what I mean is, functionality-wise. Is there anything that is functionally different in 10 that warrants upgrading?

it's faster and has a better task manager than 7. i think they made editing environment variables not a nightmare too but i can't quite recall.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Windows 10 is kinda nice, I held off until I got a new laptop that has it pre installed and I actually like it

The only thing I have a problem with is that a couple of my steam games don't work right but it's literally two of them and I have a dual boot if I ever want to play them

Applewhite posted:

Windows 7 was the perfect windows they finally got it exactly right and then realized no one would ever need to buy their product again. A product you only need to buy once is bad for business.
Same reason why GM is keeping a lid on the lightbulb that never burns out.

Luckily, if you have Windows 7 then you won't need to buy it again

because they're giving it to you for free

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 7, 2016

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Windows 10 has finally made my (dogshit) life worth living

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

it's faster and has a better task manager than 7. i think they made editing environment variables not a nightmare too but i can't quite recall.

You can open Powershell (or the regular command prompt) with or without elevation in the directory you are currently in from the file menu on a File Explorer window (every window of every directory ever). Sorta handy if you need to do that.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
windows 10 is just windows 7 with some really stupid and lazy poo poo added on top

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

anticake posted:

You can open Powershell (or the regular command prompt) with or without elevation in the directory you are currently in from the file menu on a File Explorer window (every window of every directory ever). Sorta handy if you need to do that.

that's handy. i dont think most people knew about shift right click.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

CJacobs posted:

you get advertisements when you play solitare / minesweeper or use ms paint?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

With Vulkan about to take off with Source 2 and UE4 Windows gaming will die and there will be no reason to not use OS X and/or Linux. I am glad to see MS's stranglehold on gaming die a slow painful death. If you aren't ready to leave MS for greener pastures after all the spyware and bad updates they have put in 8 and 10 you are crazy.

They are a company with no unified vision and it shows so very much in everything they make. Get on the Steve Jobs cock sucking train and accept things like good UI design, good integration with phones and tablets and all sorts of awesome things you didn't even know computers could do.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Microwaves Mom posted:

you get advertisements when you play solitare / minesweeper or use ms paint?

Solitaire has in app purchases and built in ads because it's the god drat future and having good programs built into the OS is forebidden

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

With Vulkan about to take off with Source 2 and UE4 Windows gaming will die and there will be no reason to not use OS X and/or Linux. I am glad to see MS's stranglehold on gaming die a slow painful death. If you aren't ready to leave MS for greener pastures after all the spyware and bad updates they have put in 8 and 10 you are crazy.

They are a company with no unified vision and it shows so very much in everything they make. Get on the Steve Jobs cock sucking train and accept things like good UI design, good integration with phones and tablets and all sorts of awesome things you didn't even know computers could do.

:yikes:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So I got home today and my computer hadn't upgraded itself :smug: looks like I'm safe.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Good thing about Windows, lots of poorly coded applications work really well and legacy stuff works well and that's it.

Good things about OS X, makes you more attractive and look more productive because you have a sweet sleek laptop or desktop, makes women/men find you irresistible, unified messaging from your sweet awesome superior cell phone so you can manage all the HB10s you will be pulling in. The list goes on forever for OS X

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Good thing about Windows, lots of poorly coded applications work really well and legacy stuff works well and that's it.

Good things about OS X, makes you more attractive and look more productive because you have a sweet sleek laptop or desktop, makes women/men find you irresistible, unified messaging from your sweet awesome superior cell phone so you can manage all the HB10s you will be pulling in. The list goes on forever for OS X

Excuse you all my legacy poo poo runs on an AS400

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Even Microsoft realized Windows was dead and ported Office to the web because they saw the writing on the wall. Nerds think they are power users because they used to run regedit and some spyware removal programs so they don't want to learn something new because they might not be "the guy who is good with computer" anymore

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

And let's be honest Cortana would look on your weed habit as shameful but Siri would call your dealer when you are out and get you the dankest kush

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Siri, I don't like the look of this neighborhood...

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Siri, I don't like the look of this neighborhood...

siri is a gangster

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Seems like you've really "bought in" to Apple

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Siri, I need you to find the widest, phattest... oh Siri, you know me so well! :kiddo::love:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

Siri, I need you to find the widest, phattest... oh Siri, you know me so well! :kiddo::love:

Be careful what you wish for...

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
This poo poo floors me. I've been dual booting Linux since I was gifted an e-machines PC with Window ME preinstalled. I started with Coral, moved to Xandros, switched to Ubuntu and once they started using the search feature for local files to feed Amazon, I switched to Mint. One of these days I'll switch to Debian, probably. I need to get Google off my portable devices because they're really irritating lately.

I got rid of Windows completely a few years ago because I'm not a huge PC gamer and it was more trouble than it was worth. I tend to keep the games on the closed source consoles.

I haven't upgraded in a while because everything is stable and I haven't picked up new hardware yet.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My computer was on when I left for work this morning. I really hope I don't have 10 installed.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Windows 10 hasn't killed me yet.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bob James posted:

Windows 10 hasn't killed me yet.

*Yet*

Keyword.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

BirryJoru posted:

This poo poo floors me. I've been dual booting Linux since I was gifted an e-machines PC with Window ME preinstalled. I started with Coral, moved to Xandros, switched to Ubuntu and once they started using the search feature for local files to feed Amazon, I switched to Mint. One of these days I'll switch to Debian, probably. I need to get Google off my portable devices because they're really irritating lately.

I got rid of Windows completely a few years ago because I'm not a huge PC gamer and it was more trouble than it was worth. I tend to keep the games on the closed source consoles.

I haven't upgraded in a while because everything is stable and I haven't picked up new hardware yet.

Jesus Christ how big is your ponytail and/or beard.

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
Pretty big.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Seems like you've really "bought in" to Apple

Steve, Tim, and Jonny know best and if you think otherwise you are deluded into thinking you actually know anything about computers

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh
Didn't read the whole thread, but it seems some of you are going to extraordinary lengths to prevent updating. To permanently stop all notifications and 10-proof your Windows 7, just rollback a very specific automatic update:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

Followed these steps myself back when the popups first started appearing and haven't heard a peep since.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Rutibex posted:

it's a waiting game. once everyone upgrades to windows 10 then no one will bother hacking windows 7 any more

lololol no dude

it means your system is low hanging fruit and easier to get to

malicious users know that a bunch of people are on XP so they still target it

same thing applies

don't be a dummy

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Can someone explain how OP's computer upgraded to Windows 10 without OP's approval?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That Robot posted:

lololol no dude

it means your system is low hanging fruit and easier to get to

malicious users know that a bunch of people are on XP so they still target it

same thing applies

don't be a dummy

:shrug:
i dont play many computer games, maybe i'll just switch back to Linux. i was uesing Ubuntu for a while as a laugh, but ended up switching back when i bought a new PC.

i really hate this attitude that tech companies have now, that no one gives a gently caress any more and they can just spy on me with impunity. Linux was more than serviceable back 7 years ago when i used it, i'm sure it even better now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Absolute Lithops posted:

Can someone explain how OP's computer upgraded to Windows 10 without OP's approval?

An update to Win 7/8 a while back was of the kind that requires you to shut down your computer and restart it- instead of being an optional update they listed it as 'recommended' so your PC automatically installs it. It would download win10 onto your computer and then say "hey, we downloaded windows 10, restart to make it your OS. Thanks." If you hit OK on that (as in, you could not say OK or CANCEL, it was either OK or close the window and hope for the best), it would automatically change you over to windows 10 on your next startup.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 7, 2016

RoxiesMD
Oct 20, 2013

by LadyAmbien
I'm not 100% sure why but, my windows 7 hasn't upgraded to 10 yet. Like, the little upgrade thing is in my taskbar somewhere, but it doesn't even ask me anymore, and it hasn't tried installing. Am I next? :shrug:

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
if ua re linux savvy might i recommend Arch

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

Rutibex posted:

:shrug:
i dont play many computer games, maybe i'll just switch back to Linux. i was uesing Ubuntu for a while as a laugh, but ended up switching back when i bought a new PC.

i really hate this attitude that tech companies have now, that no one gives a gently caress any more and they can just spy on me with impunity. Linux was more than serviceable back 7 years ago when i used it, i'm sure it even better now

If you want to avoid that poo poo don't use Ubuntu.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
can windows 10 run ms flight simulator 95

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Windows 10, for lack of a better word, is good.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This better not gently caress my computer up

for the sake of gbs i hope it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Don't take the express setup you jackholes. Turn everything off. Most problems solved.

• Locked thread