Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Last night, I went on easily my best run ever. Playing as the Hunter, I:

- entered the Oubliette for the first time, armed with only my crossbow and a T-shirt cannon

- cleared the Oubliette and walked out with that insane Crescent Moon crossbow, the M1911, and the garbage gun, plus some kind of magic candy that boosted my speed and damage

- bought a jetpack and became Unreasonably Fast

- met the Treadnought for the first time, defeated it, and reached area 4 for the first time

- cleared every room in area 4 and fought the Kill Pillars, bringing the final pillar to like 10% health before weaving when I should have ducked and eating poo poo

On the immediately subsequent run, I learned an important thing: don't do the Oubliette if you managed to curse yourself using one of those treasure mirror things. Trust me on this. Cursed Oubliette enemies are no joke :gonk:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Had a great run last night and made it to floor three, mainly on the strength of that demon head "gun," the dungeon revolver, witch gun, and that giant spacegun that shoots a big ball that asplodes into homing shots. Then the game loving froze while using the demon's beam so that sucked poo poo.

At least my progress got saved, as did the shop people I unlocked. Do those guns you buy from them equip on you immediately or do they just become "possible pickups" for future runs permanently?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Had a great run last night and made it to floor three, mainly on the strength of that demon head "gun," the dungeon revolver, witch gun, and that giant spacegun that shoots a big ball that asplodes into homing shots. Then the game loving froze while using the demon's beam so that sucked poo poo.

At least my progress got saved, as did the shop people I unlocked. Do those guns you buy from them equip on you immediately or do they just become "possible pickups" for future runs permanently?

Far as I'm aware everything in the hub is either to get "quests" to unlock stuff, or to pay them to unlock stuff. There's one exception which is pretty fun you can pay someone some h-credits to "bless" your next run with randomly swapping guns. In the case of your question, it just means that stuff can show up in the gungeon in future runs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Xaris posted:

I wish there was the Nuclear Throne equivalent of golden weapons that you can save and start with

When the gently caress was this added? I've put a ton of hours into Nuclear Throne and almost beaten it a bunch of times and I've never seen a golden weapon.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Yodzilla posted:

When the gently caress was this added? I've put a ton of hours into Nuclear Throne and almost beaten it a bunch of times and I've never seen a golden weapon.

It's sort of a secret mechanic. Bring a screwdriver with you to 2-1, then swing it at a blinged up car. It'll turn into a flying car which when used sends you to Yung Venus' Pad. The weapons chest there will disgorge a random golden gun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Golden guns have been in Nuclear Throne since almost the beginning, nearly multiple years ago. Use a screwdriver on the golden car in the junkyard area.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUflIq_4gNs

I made a video on how to play as the Cultist by yourself, although there aren't many steps to it. So if you do want that, here you go.
Wish they would just let you play as him. The dart gun is fun.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Yodzilla posted:

Besides the secret level, they also show up in chests in loops. They've been there a looooong time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Harlock posted:

Wish they would just let you play as him. The dart gun is fun.

I really hope that is in a future patch/free DLC with more starting characters. The MTX Gun was a nice touch for the Collector Edition through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of Nuclear Throne, hey look who it is

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Found a Disintegrator on floor 1. This is either going to be a very good or very bad run :getin:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Found a Disintegrator on floor 1. This is either going to be a very good or very bad run :getin:

That double vision tho.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
119 casings and 3 keys and I died to the chamber 2 boss. :suicide: (I didn't spend any keys or casings)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

poemdexter posted:

That double vision tho.

Hell yeah, Found the orc selling it off the back of a truck. Just killed the third floor boss without taking damage.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Died to the dragun on the last phase with convict, was too fast to actually be able to dodge roll through that incredibly easy part of the fight. I was outright crossing about a third of the arena per roll, the absolute worst possible reason to die.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here are my opinions after six hours of gameplay:

I LIKE
- The graphics and general look of the game
- The music
- The room-based level approach
- The basic gameplay of dodging hell of bullets and shooting enemies with wacky guns
- The roguelike mechanics of constantly discovering and adding new stuff for later runs.

I DON'T LIKE
- The game is far too RNG dependant. "Well duh, all roguelikes are". Yeah, but in Gungeon you don't get many opportunities to compensate for lovely RNG. On my last run, the only weapon I found on the first level was the Unfinished Gun, which even the weapon description says is lovely. If I wanted, I could, of course, also buy the lower case r weapon from the shop for all my money, which is also as bad (or at least not much better than) the starting gun. I found no other items on level 1. I basically had nothing to do but try and make the best of a bad situation.
- The bosses have WAY too many HP. They don't feel like exciting fights, they feel like boring grindfests where I'm slowly whittling down the boss' HP, while hoping I don't accidentally get nicked by some bullshit too many times and lose the fight.
- The game is far too stingy with drops. In another run earlier today I was playing as the Pilot. I got a really good gun I enjoyed using, but ran out of ammo for it fairly quickly because I found zero ammo pickups. Getting hit once or twice early in a run can basically gently caress you over because health pickups are also insanely rare.
- The quests suck right now, because they require you to have LOTS of things, which you are in no way guaranteed to get on even a better than average run. So you'll once again be feeling helpless and unable to proceed, which is no fun.
- Locking the few items you DO find behind often locked chests is also kinda lovely because keys are also rare as gently caress. I've had numerous situations where all the items I would've found on level one were behind locked chests, I had zero keys and even the store didn't sell any. Oh well I guess I'm shooting up these chests and then fighting the boss with my starter gun when that won't work!

The good thing here is that the core is solid as hell, and basically all the problems I have with the game can be solved by tweaking formulas behind the scenes. I don't know if the devs have reacted in any way to complaints people have about the game, but I hope they keep tweaking it and adding stuff to it. If they do, Enter the Gungeon could be amazing.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
my main problem with the game is you can't roll onto a table and slide across like you're a john woo stuntman

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
But you can flip the table and have it zoom away as a rocket which is just as good.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Got the last kill pillar down to 1-2 shots and died because I didn't find any loving ammo refils for 2 floors and the shop didn't have any either. :suicide:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Hadn't heard of this game. I've added it to my watch list, as it looks neat. Have you played it yourself? If so, any opinions on it or stuff that bugs you?

I've played a decent amount of cryptark. the main gimmick of the game is that every spaceship you clear out has several defense modules which do various things to make your life miserable. there's all the basic stuff you would expect, like a factory module that produces drones, and a sentry module which keeps all the turrets running, but the real fun is in the modules that modify other modules. the repair module takes one minute to restore other destroyed modules back to full power, and the failsafe module resumes the functions of the last destroyed module, so you end up with chains of modules that you have to target, all of which can be located in completely different sections of the spaceship. It keeps the pace of every mission up very well.

There's also bonus objectives that provide additional rewards for playing under certain restrictions. all you need to do to finish a given mission is take out the shield module guarding the core and blow that up, so objectives might involve targeting specific extra modules to destroy, or forcing you to leave things intact.

The weapon variety is good and generally does a good job of making sure that the most powerful items have some other drawback attached. the drunk missiles, for example, have some of the best damage and ammo availability in the game, but they wobble and aim at random so you generally have to burn a ton of them at once to clear a room, and they aren't great for targeting small enemies. there's a loadout system where you can overload ammo if you're willing to pay extra, and you can also increase your max health to ridiculously high amounts if you're willing to pay the exponentially increasing cost. in campaign mode you start with limited funds but it's pretty easy to get very rich after your first few hauls, which lets you really cut loose for the last few missions

The balance isn't perfect yet, there's certain ship types that are significantly harder to deal with than others (anything with a bunch of factories will most likely swarm you to death before you can clear them all out), but all in all it's a lot of fun

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I find that the first two levels can be beaten pretty easily with your starter pistol. I also try to keep my starter pistol on swap so that I conserve ammo. Conserving ammo is an unfortunate part of the game, but you have to do it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

poemdexter posted:

I find that the first two levels can be beaten pretty easily with your starter pistol. I also try to keep my starter pistol on swap so that I conserve ammo. Conserving ammo is an unfortunate part of the game, but you have to do it.

I think it depends on your luck/RNG more. I've had runs where I've had too many guns or I keep getting ammo drops each room or every other room and since the rat exists I've had to top off guns that were still almost full.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm starting to cool on this game now that I'm getting run after run of bullshit RNG with bad guns and loot. I can make it to the third floor with the starter weapons, that doesn't make it fun or exciting. Finding guns that are not actually any stronger or more useful than the starter pistol doesn't help at all, especially since enemy HP scales up on lower floors for the same enemies. If the best weapon you find is the Hegemony Carbine, you might as well not bother because it's going to take four magazines to clear out a room of Shotgun Kin.

It's pretty much the biggest problem I had with Isaac: if you get bad RNG with items, not only is the game harder, it's also just slower and less fun because your weapon is slow and weak as poo poo, and trying to brute force your way through a run with a bad weapon isn't worth the time or effort at all.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
even with a bunch of bad guns you can hot swap between them to cut out loading times, so i havent been disappointed by a gun drop yet. the only change i really want is guaranteeing the shopkeeper always has at least one gun for sale, since bad chest spawns can mean clearing an entire floor without finding any new guns, which frankly doesnt even make sense in a game with "gungeon" in the title

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Okay, I'm having FPS problems with this game and I have no idea why. Its hard to maintain a steady 60, I5-2500k, GTX970. Anyone else running into any trouble?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

So doing something, probably "beating" the game, enables you to pray at the statue where you spawn in on the first floor. So far all I can tell is that it massively cursed me to the point that every room has one or more champion enemy and this is awful, everything is terrible.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If I find no guns on the first level, I know I'm not hosed, but I know I'm taking at least one hit on the boss because of how grindy the fights are. The bosses should have 25% less health than they do.

I'm surprised that getting your armor taken off counts as a hit for the purposes of boss fights. It'd be more rewarding to do it like Isaac does where only red heart damage counts against you. It would incentivise buying armor from the shop right before you go fight the boss, as well as give you some breathing room if you got lucky enough to get armor.

The RNG is worse in this game than Isaac. In Isaac, most of the first two bosses you'll fight are jokes that you can kill with starting damage (bad Eden starts notwithstanding). If you get unlucky in Gungeon, it's a quick downward spiral due to how fast the difficulty ramps up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DolphinCop posted:

even with a bunch of bad guns you can hot swap between them to cut out loading times, so i havent been disappointed by a gun drop yet. the only change i really want is guaranteeing the shopkeeper always has at least one gun for sale, since bad chest spawns can mean clearing an entire floor without finding any new guns, which frankly doesnt even make sense in a game with "gungeon" in the title

The big problem is that if you don't have a decent boss killer for the first boss, you're more likely to take damage as the fight goes longer, which not only sets you back in HP but also you miss out on the HP upgrade for the flawless victory.

I think it might be an improvement if you at least started with two keys, so you can at least get two chances for a decent gun or item on the first floor. Sure the shopkeeper often has a key for sale, but on the first floor that's likely to be most or all of your money to buy it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Again I had a run with the huntress ruined by finding zero ammo drops. The RNG in this game needs a serious overhaul.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I just killed a cursed version of the old king, and unlocked the sixth chamber, I imagine that's some absurdly strong item? Cursed bosses have way too much hp, it took almost an entire disintegrator to kill it.
Well I managed to finish this run despite getting more cursed bosses, I'd like to thank the disintegrator for its overwhelming power breaking past bosses with 2x hp.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Apparently the hunter had a non-luck based increased item find but they removed it. They should put it back in because her dog hates me and most of the time after a room clear it just stands there looking adorable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As someone who is not great at these games (mostly the shmup portions), it's blatantly obvious how much better I do with a decent gun. A decent gun means I have less chances to fumble during a boss, and if I don't get one I might as well not even bother doing anything other than Gull on 1 and Gorgun on 2. I can't speak definitively as to the realities of how balanced that is from a design perspective, I just don't know these games well enough, but on a personal level it means I only genuinely enjoy maybe one in ten runs.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress this game

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lakbay posted:

Apparently the hunter had a non-luck based increased item find but they removed it. They should put it back in because her dog hates me and most of the time after a room clear it just stands there looking adorable.

It's real good for identifying mimics though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Sure you can beat the first floor boss with the starting gun but it's so tedious that it sucks the fun right out of the game.

I haven't gotten to the point where I will restart a run if I get a poo poo first floor but it is tempting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Orv posted:

on a personal level it means I only genuinely enjoy maybe one in ten runs.

Thiss is the biggest issue I have with gungeon. Back to nuclear throne and recommending against gungeon until it's patched.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jibo posted:

Sure you can beat the first floor boss with the starting gun but it's so tedious that it sucks the fun right out of the game.

I haven't gotten to the point where I will restart a run if I get a poo poo first floor but it is tempting.
If I don't flawless the 1st floor I pretty much reset now

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Also it turns out this game has a Spelunky styled ghost. Be careful with how much curse you take on, something just might break through the floor to find you

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 7, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
How do I drop my "Junk" for Ralph the Sewer Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I AM BRAWW posted:

How do I drop my "Junk" for Ralph the Sewer Guy

Open the map, click on the item, then a Drop button will appear in the upper left corner.