Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do you kill the past anyway?

I got the gun for it pulled the trigger and uh... it just said good job you failed anyway which makes absolutely no sense to me given what the gun actually did.

What's a gun without a bullet? There's a blacksmith on the fifth floor that requires a few bullet components from other floors. There's one each on floors 2-5. Deliver each of them once, and you can grab Bullets from her. Once you deliver a part, you don't have to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Finally made it to chamber 4 for the first time, mostly on the back of proton backpack and machinegun fist. I was doing really well, too, had a decent supply of ammo, good guns, and 3/4 hearts. I was confident I would at least be able to do a decent try to whatever boss I got, if not outright win.

I also got a cursed boss for the first time this run. I don't even know any patterns for the four pillars besides the very first one due to this fact.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I started playing this last night - for the bullet king, is there any reward to leaving his herald alive? I took it out both times and I'm not sure if I should have.

Getting used to the dodge roll is interesting, I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to dodge back instead of towards shots. I've 100%ed every version of BoI but playing it safe caps out at like the Gorgun for me right now. I'm excited for the challenge.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Power of Pecota posted:

I started playing this last night - for the bullet king, is there any reward to leaving his herald alive? I took it out both times and I'm not sure if I should have.

Getting used to the dodge roll is interesting, I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to dodge back instead of towards shots. I've 100%ed every version of BoI but playing it safe caps out at like the Gorgun for me right now. I'm excited for the challenge.

He has a simpler pattern if the herald is alive I think.

Least that's what the book says.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm having more fun with this than nuclear throne but I can't put a finger as to why

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you kill the Bullet King without hitting his herald, then walk into the herald while he's kneeling on the floor grieving or whatever, he inexplicably dies and drops some money.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The herald runs at you if you hit him once without killing him, there doesn't seem to be any more to him than that. Just avoid hitting him, or kill him fast.

I've run into the caped bullet twice now, and each time there was a reaper in the room, which meant I couldn't clear it. :suicide:
On the other hand, he doesn't seem as rare as people were fearing, but I think you have to do something to make him start showing up. Maybe killing the past once? I never saw him before, but both these sightings were on the same run, the first after killing the first past.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I hope this game ends up getting solid mod support. I would love to occasionally cut loose and run around the Gungeon blowing poo poo up as one of 20 completely out-of-place mod Gungeoneers with a vast array of even more ridiculous guns. JC Denton wielding his hand doing a finger gun gesture and going "bang bang" with his mouth while things mysteriously die. Link shooting a dude with the plasma rifle from Fallout. Melody from Crypt of the Necrodancer strumming a wall of music-note bullets at everything with her Golden Lute.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hope this game ends up getting solid mod support. I would love to occasionally cut loose and run around the Gungeon blowing poo poo up as one of 20 completely out-of-place mod Gungeoneers with a vast array of even more ridiculous guns. JC Denton wielding his hand doing a finger gun gesture and going "bang bang" with his mouth while things mysteriously die. Link shooting a dude with the plasma rifle from Fallout. Melody from Crypt of the Necrodancer strumming a wall of music-note bullets at everything with her Golden Lute.

I wish i could start with the beehive all the time because it amuses me endlessly to just run around shaking a beehive.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you kill the Bullet King without hitting his herald, then walk into the herald while he's kneeling on the floor grieving or whatever, he inexplicably dies and drops some money.

Don't try this with the Beholster's buddies, they'll actually hurt you if you walk into them even though they're just sitting there crying.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Don't try this with the Beholster's buddies, they'll actually hurt you if you walk into them even though they're just sitting there crying.

It should work this way with every enemy tbh, if you're gonna brutally murder someone in cold blood you can do it with a gun like a proper psychopathic Gungeoneer or you can get hosed :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah that was some bullshit.

e: and i know it's all pixel art which is probably the only thing that makes it possibly but i'm impressed by how much work goes into making so many of the guns unique from reload animations to custom ammo and all kinds of other effects

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I want to thank this thread for getting me into Nuclear Throne, which is a bit more fun.

This game just needs a few balance patches to improve the pacing of the early game and increase weapon drops. There are a lot of cool guns, but not if you never see them.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Sloober posted:

I wish i could start with the beehive all the time because it amuses me endlessly to just run around shaking a beehive.

Beehive is one of the strongest weapons in the game so starting with it would be fun

Protip: if you can fly behind the dragun don't do it, he'll just do walls of bullets from the back :(

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't understand how you're supposed to use the Alien Engine without taking hits constantly.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I was wondering why the first secret character seemed incredibly easy, a high fire rate good accuracy weapon with 20 shots and low reload time? Then I realised they can't have hp, even with health ups, only armor. At least you start with 6 points of armor. . .

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I still have hitching framerate/Fps problems with a good rig if my browser is open in the background. What gives?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I don't understand how you're supposed to use the Alien Engine without taking hits constantly.

Takes effort but man does it murder stuff fast

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I just found a shotgun that shoots hamsters

I'm so practiced at the gull that the game floats me an extra heart

I honk so bad at this game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Broken Cog posted:

Maybe killing the past once? I never saw him before, but both these sightings were on the same run, the first after killing the first past.

Yeah someone on reddit said the same thing I think.

It's too bad because I wanted that thing but that requirement puts it pretty far out of my reach for now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just quit a run where I got the scatter shot passive. Oh my god its so bad for most guns. SO BAD. You fire 3 projectiles in a cone instead of one but it MASSIVELY downgrades your damage per bullet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

FrickenMoron posted:

I just quit a run where I got the scatter shot passive. Oh my god its so bad for most guns. SO BAD. You fire 3 projectiles in a cone instead of one but it MASSIVELY downgrades your damage per bullet.

You can drop passive items from the map screen. Dunno how to do it on controller, but with M+KB just click on the item you wanna drop and a big red DROP button appears on the top left of the screen.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Unlocked the floor 3 lift and a new vendor showed up that gives you a gun for free. I flippin love the elephant gun :getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
A small tip for anyone that beats the fifth boss: If you fall off the platforming section afterwards where you are jumping between the floating shells, you get an achievement that unlocks a really good gun.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Finally got to the fifth boss because I found the Stinger; a gun that launches missiles that explode into angry bees on impact.

This game rules.

EDIT: Also the Alien Engine is great for checking walls for secrets. If you aren't using it as a weapon you should at least be using it for that.

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 8, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yodzilla posted:

The Alien Engine was one of the guns I got yesterday and I without hesitation threw it in one of those chest things that eats two guns and gives you a new one. That looked miserable to use and I'm bad enough at falling in pits without knockback.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Can you use the alien engine to rocket yourself over pits? That was my first assumption when I picked it up and noticed the knockback. I don't know this game as well as Isaac where after a while you can guess secret rooms 90% of the time.

The grappling hook is awesome for stunning guys in a panic, and killing annoying little blobs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wonder if the Alien Engine would work with the Backup Gun upgrade that let's you shoot in both direction simultaneously, or the heavy boots that reduces knockback. The only real downside of it is the massive recoil, and if you get in close with it, it absolutely destroys anything you point it at.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I know that some people mentioned the possibility of playing more/getting further upping drop rates and making stronger monsters appear earlier. I don't necessarily believe that is the case but I've had two runs now where I've gotten golden casings for clearing rooms on the first floor and lately I've been getting more machine pistol/AK bulletkin on the first floor than just normal pistol bulletkin.

I've also been getting Deadeyes on the first floor which can be kind of jarring.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I've been seeing veterans and those dang priests that keep healing and speeding enemies up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If they add DLC characters we better get Y.V.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

goferchan posted:

If they add DLC characters we better get Y.V.

There's already a shrine to Y.V. that sometimes spawns.

There's a few other Nuclear Throne references too, I think.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found another benefit to being cursed; Jammed enemies drop significantly more currency.
Made getting the required stuff for the level 3 elevator much easier.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
All it takes to kill dragun is +1 bullet, increased accuracy, potion of +1 bullet, fat bullets and the proton gun apparently.

Sure was a large beam

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jusupov posted:

All it takes to kill dragun is +1 bullet, increased accuracy, potion of +1 bullet, fat bullets and the proton gun apparently.

Sure was a large beam

Similarly, I just beat Treadnaught using Proton Cannon + Double Vision + Fat Bullets. I didn't realize until this run that Double Vision was an active item that recharges when you're in combat. Made it go from "too good to use" to "mash the spacebar every room more difficult than a bunch of normal enemies".

I died three rooms into the fourth floor because I had no ammo for anything.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So is there any special benefit to beating the alt level bosses without getting hit?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So is there any special benefit to beating the alt level bosses without getting hit?

Not the oubliette one at least

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm pretty sure you get extra drops - more money, more health/armour/ammo, etc. - for beating any boss flawlessly. You don't get an extra item or a Mastery thingy, though (at least for the Oubliette boss).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do you find secret rooms? I haven't found any at all so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Megasabin posted:

How do you find secret rooms? I haven't found any at all so far.

Shoot walls with non-starter gun and if they crack use a blank anywhere in the room or explode something next to it