Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Treadnought would be a really good boss without those loving lovely minions it spams everywhere, but it has those loving lovely minions it spams everywhere, so instead it's the worst boss in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Treadnaught is a funny boss, because if you get a single speed up upgrade before reaching him, he's trivial.
Still don't usually have trouble with him though, but the High Priest of floor 4 is the loving bane of my existence, and most others seem to think he's the easiest 4th tier boss.

Nah, I'm with you. gently caress that guy. Wall is the easy one imo.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The high priest is definitely the hardest floor 4 boss, but that's not much of an accomplishment. The kill pillars have one hard to dodge attack that skips entirely if you use a blank which they won't use it anyways if you've killed two of them and the single pillar phase is a lot easier than it looks since you can just vaguely move left and right a little with dodge rolls until it dies. The demon mortar is an absolute joke if you've managed to get any way of ignoring floor fire or even a weapon that can overwrite its oil like that lovely squirt gun. Meanwhile the first of the order just spams bullets absolutely everywhere, has an invulnerability attack which is always awful and randomly spawning bullets from the outside of the screen.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Treadnaught is a funny boss, because if you get a single speed up upgrade before reaching him, he's trivial.
Still don't usually have trouble with him though, but the High Priest of floor 4 is the loving bane of my existence, and most others seem to think he's the easiest 4th tier boss.

You can kind of cheese the High Priest by sitting in the doorway when he does the dark phase. Just dodge into the wall if a stray bullet wanders in.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I found a gun that fires bees and paired it with a gun that fires fish.

This is a pretty good game even if I haven't even lived long enough to fight the 3rd level boss yet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jetamo posted:

Hey, those witches show up in the launch trailer for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpSoiNdrZw

...Speaking of which, I wish I could understand the lyrics better, it's a catchy song.

Oh that's adorable, I hadn't seen that before.

I thought of this too, but only because it was the last thing I saw with some witches over a cauldron. There's been plenty of other things with the same motif.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The three witches around a Cauldron comes from Macbeth and has been used loads of times since.

Give them guns and they'll give you powerups, though it counts as one of the "Doing something naughty" things that lets you go into Demon mouths and will eventually summon the angry unkillable death guy with the sick nasty scythe who'll chase you about forever. So there's that.

One of the achievements is to steal poo poo from shops. How do you actually do that?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Fans posted:

One of the achievements is to steal poo poo from shops. How do you actually do that?

Sneak into the shop in a box, steal one item and he won't get mad.

Hookshot it. If you're out of his view you're golden.

I think there's another way but I forget..

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What happens if you shoot too much in the shop? Does the shopkeeper fight you? Can you kill the shopkeeper? :ohdear:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

CJacobs posted:

What happens if you shoot too much in the shop? Does the shopkeeper fight you? Can you kill the shopkeeper? :ohdear:

After one shot, he raises prices. A second one will cause a bullet hell attack, and he skips town for the current run.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chinook posted:

Charm him with Cupid's arrow. You can actually steal one item from him with the hookshot without aggroing him, 2 will do it though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I found a gun muncher and I combined the Hexagun (rainbow rail gun) with the Convict's starter shotgun and just got a slightly stronger shotgun. It doesn't even fire rainbow pellets! :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As far as I can tell, the gun muncher doesn't actually take the weapons you put into it into acount, it just spits out a random one.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm pretty sure it's just a trade-in for a new random gun.

Edit: killed by my own slow reflexes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mill Village posted:

I found a gun muncher and I combined the Hexagun (rainbow rail gun) with the Convict's starter shotgun and just got a slightly stronger shotgun. It doesn't even fire rainbow pellets! :(

The gun muncher just eats whatever you put into it and spits another gun out in return. There is an item that lets you combine guns, but you have to unlock it first I believe.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo is active reload a good perk.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Cog of battle is one of the best passives in the game, boosted reloads and massively increased damage as well as being a "low tier" item so it shows up pretty often for cheap? Shame it's useless for guns with no reloads such as "bees".

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Well I`m done with this garbage. Rolling water barrels to the fireplace is not my idea of a fun time. Sadly it is one of many examples of this game being a chore compared to an enjoyable experience. I hope the developers patch in some major balance changes. Until then, see ya!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

The gun muncher just eats whatever you put into it and spits another gun out in return. There is an item that lets you combine guns, but you have to unlock it first I believe.

Wasn't that the original point of the game? Like you'd find a shotgun and then a freeze ray and could combine them into a freezing shotgun? I'm 99% sure that was this game. Somewhere along the line they must've decided that making dozens of unique guns was better than dozens of generic guns you'd find in an FPS that could be combined into slightly different versions of generic FPS guns.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Have you ever played a video game before because if not this happens in almost every one of them
That's not even close to true.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah, the "Basic Enemies from Floor 1 Show up on The Follower Floors but with their Health Increased!!" is poor gameplay design.

agree, scaling health is a bad mechanic

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Finally beat the floor 4 boss, then right after that died to fire damage. Nothing I could do.
Still happier than i was upset

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

parthenocarpy posted:

Well I`m done with this garbage. Rolling water barrels to the fireplace is not my idea of a fun time. Sadly it is one of many examples of this game being a chore compared to an enjoyable experience. I hope the developers patch in some major balance changes. Until then, see ya!

I'm kind of with you, though I'm still going to sink in a lot more time because the gameplay all the way through to the third level boss is so rewarding and fun. It's just that why would I waste my time rolling a barrel all the way to the fireplace (which is frustratingly tedious) or finding a liquid gun on the first floor (which is pure luck) only to then need two keys, and then need to clear a difficult bonus floor, and then need to beat a boss, and finally need to take whatever it is to the second floor altar? I don't know what the mechanics are for unlocking the actual ending, but I know it involves buying that $110 thing in the shop and taking it down to god knows where. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm lucky and skilled enough to get to gently caress knows where (probably the fourth or fifth floor), I shouldn't have to worry about, "Oh, did I somehow get enough money to buy the Prime Primer on the second floor, when all I was worried about was whether or not I was going to get past this boss and then Treadnaught?"

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Don't forget you also have to not get hit at all or you lose the thing you need to take to the 2nd floor altar!

Well I finally beat bullet hell, I had a setup that was dramatically more overpowered than I realised at first, the megaman hand + rocket bullets + the 4x max ammo item as well as potion of lead skin + ring of ethereal form. I cleared the entirety of bullet hell and the boss and still had around 500 shots left. Also had a ballot so they charged fast enough to leave me almost perpetually invulnerable.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm kind of with you, though I'm still going to sink in a lot more time because the gameplay all the way through to the third level boss is so rewarding and fun. It's just that why would I waste my time rolling a barrel all the way to the fireplace (which is frustratingly tedious) or finding a liquid gun on the first floor (which is pure luck) only to then need two keys, and then need to clear a difficult bonus floor, and then need to beat a boss, and finally need to take whatever it is to the second floor altar? I don't know what the mechanics are for unlocking the actual ending, but I know it involves buying that $110 thing in the shop and taking it down to god knows where. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm lucky and skilled enough to get to gently caress knows where (probably the fourth or fifth floor), I shouldn't have to worry about, "Oh, did I somehow get enough money to buy the Prime Primer on the second floor, when all I was worried about was whether or not I was going to get past this boss and then Treadnaught?"

The Prime Primer is something you do once then never worry about again ever.

Also the stuff with the water barrel and the two secret rooms just lead to a bonus boss that unlocks the ability to teleport instead of dodge roll and nothing ending required.

E: On the topic of the Prime Primer stuff I'm super upset that my second run where I got all the way to the wallmonger ended because at that point I had collected like 3-4 of the bullet stuff without knowing what the hell any of it did due to having the jetpack.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
I want to play this game more but when I see the results screen and realize I have to slog through floor 1 and 2 with the starting gun again I usually quit because gently caress

It would be nice if they guaranteed an unlocked chest on the 1st floor with a basic weapon because it feels like every 4th run has me getting to the boss with only the starter gun and it's just tedious.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chinook posted:

The decoy lets you steal as many items as you want.

I think the smoke bombs that make you invisible might work too.

AttackTheMoon posted:

Finally beat the floor 4 boss, then right after that died to fire damage. Nothing I could do.
Still happier than i was upset

The game doesn't explain this anywhere but you can roll to put out the fire when you get ignited.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

CJacobs posted:

As far as I can tell, the gun muncher doesn't actually take the weapons you put into it into acount, it just spits out a random one.

This question was addressed by a dev during the preview stream marathon: the resulting gun is weighted towards the average rarity level (i.e. what chests you're most likely to find them in) of the two guns you use, plus a little bit of potential swing up or down. So in general putting in rare guns is more likely to get you rare guns, but not in a particularly predictable way.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

For whatever reason I have absolutely no trouble with the first floor bullet king but the crow always tags me at least once except for the room with the pillars.

Finally got my first actual clear of the Dragun, mostly because I had a ton of health containers from perfecting the floor 1-2 bosses (1 with just the starter gun) and from a couple passives. Shock bullets helped kill everything on the last two floors, and the proton pack made short work of the Dragun itself. Still came out of it with only one heart at the end, though I did have a couple of blanks to burn.

I think my biggest gripe with the game right now is that maps are way too expensive to only reveal the current floor you're on, which you've probably half cleared by the time you find the map, and that secret rooms are a) only really feasible to find with the map and b) largely valueless. I've spent several minutes hunting for a secret room only to find it with two half-hearts and nothing else. Isaac secret rooms could be worthless/detrimental because they had logic so you could always find them if you knew where to look; these don't. Hell, I found a secret room in a boss room, and only because of the map.

Looking out for cracks on the walls isn't feasible either, not if you're trying to complete the game in under an hour and a half. There are too many decorations and bits of debris around, and bullet holes in the walls obscure things.

I agree that a slightly boosted movement speed would be nice. Enemy health is fine except bosses, which could stand to be a little less tanky, simply because there are so many guns that do barely any damage so you have to luck into getting one of the boss killers. Also, either make ammo drops about 2x as common or make them fill all your guns instead of just one. Either would be fine.

There are a few awesome guns I've found too that absolutely wreck things. One of them is a dark matter gun that when you charge up, shoots two arcing projectiles that meet a short distance away from you in a blank-like explosion that wipes bullets, it's hilariously good against bosses. The composite pistol also has a charge fire that murders basic enemies on floor three in one shot, often piercing and killing 2-3 if you line it up right. The scrambler is good and the particulator is like it but on steroids, it's so good. The Prototype Railgun is amazing at murdering bosses or high health enemies as well.

On the other hand, I don't like guns like the trash cannon or anything that poisons, because it's too easy to fill the room with hazards that kill you faster than they kill enemies. Some of the fire-based guns seem too high maintenance as well. They don't seem to do a lot of damage on their own and just serve to apply the fire DoT, but swapping between them to apply fire then shoot with something else seems like too much work.

Also, all of the beam-type weapons, like the gamma gun should lock/home like the proton pack, because seriously, they're hilariously hard to aim with an analog stick. Other weapons use the autoaim to kind of soft-lock on to targets but the beams just rely on you getting that one precise angle with the stick and it's just horrible to use.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Swapping between weapons is definitely an encouraged tactic the way that reload works but every time I try to be fancy and switch I always end up scrolling up and down through my 4 guns and getting nailed by a stray bullet when I try to pay attention to which weapon I have on me. A 'swap to last used weapon' would help so much.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

RoboCicero posted:

Swapping between weapons is definitely an encouraged tactic the way that reload works but every time I try to be fancy and switch I always end up scrolling up and down through my 4 guns and getting nailed by a stray bullet when I try to pay attention to which weapon I have on me. A 'swap to last used weapon' would help so much.

Hold Triangle or whatever PC button does the slow time weapon select. Your current weapon has a little symbol. Whatever you release on will get one, too. Now when you tap triangle you swap between those two.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Scrolling is a clumsy way to select weapons. I wish you could just use the number keys. It would still be a little weird since each key would correspond to a different weapon every run, but I'd prefer it regardless.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

I want to play this game more but when I see the results screen and realize I have to slog through floor 1 and 2 with the starting gun again I usually quit because gently caress

It would be nice if they guaranteed an unlocked chest on the 1st floor with a basic weapon because it feels like every 4th run has me getting to the boss with only the starter gun and it's just tedious.

If you open up elevator shortcuts you get free guns (either when you use them or when you reach them) which is a pretty good bonus even if you don't plan on using them

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I find the slow-motion weapon switching to be perfectly fine for most situations. I only tend to bother with that kinda stuff for bosses though, for regular enemies I'll just keep shooting whatever I'm shooting or use scrolling.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I find slow-motion switching to be pretty useful. It lets me get a good view of my surrounding enemies without having to move/deal with bullets and helps prioritizing enemies when a second wave spawns in a room. It also helps during bullet hell attacks since it lets me plan out my dodge rolls better.

That and it's pretty fun to clear rooms without reloading in combat.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For the Robot and the Bullet, do they have pasts to kill, or do I just go to bullet hell for their various unlocks?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Ah crap, they definitely mentioned slow time switching in the tutorial but I ended up forgetting all about it. Thanks everyone.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vargs posted:

Scrolling is a clumsy way to select weapons. I wish you could just use the number keys. It would still be a little weird since each key would correspond to a different weapon every run, but I'd prefer it regardless.
You can use the number keys, though.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Zaggitz posted:

For the Robot and the Bullet, do they have pasts to kill, or do I just go to bullet hell for their various unlocks?

Robot didn't have a past to kill, no idea if there's any unlocks from bullet hell, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

parthenocarpy posted:

Ok.