Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Any character with sufficiently good ranged options can take advantage of this idea. Ghirahim in particular can get a lot of mileage against officers and character enemies by landing a lock-on with his Strong Attack, making distance, and then doing C2-1 to launch the enemy toward him even from a fair distance away.

I don't recall ever finding a pattern with the Dominion Rod that was guaranteed to take out a giant boss's WPG in one go, but supposedly it's easier to take out WPGs in general in Legends so it might be doable now.

Ganondorf with full badges can take out any boss's WPG with a lead in fully charged C1 -> C5 -> C3, dodge cancelling between combo finishers. This is not something that could have been done on the Wii U version because C3 would not have been able to do it using this combination of attacks.

That said, for the Dominion Rod in particular, there's no guaranteed way of killing a boss's WPG if you don't have a special attack (or Hasty). C4 -> special -> string, and you've got to have the hammer statue active for this. On Legends however, you can (with hammer statue active) use C6 -> special to take out a boss's WPG in one blow as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kobogartimer posted:

Does anything else do this? I've basically never uses fairy magic, but it bugs me a little bit every time I obliterate a swathe of mooks only to have the next batch come out from being culled. Did the WiiU one cull mooks? I think I would prefer some LoD shenanigans to it, its the only thing that bothers me.

Nothing else I've encountered does this. There are no fairies in the wiiu version, so there is no equivalent move or action in the wiiu version.

That being said, I am only early in on the adventure map, but I don't think anything else CAN do this. Happy to be corrected.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Pop-in has always been a thing in Musou games, it's just something that you have to learn to deal with. Warriors Orochi 3 was really bad about it too. In general the game prioritizes officers over the mooks, but it's not perfect, I've definitely had a situation in Legends where an officer will flat out disappear in a crowd, and I don't remember that ever happening in the Wii U version.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Oh ok. I can deal with it if it's Just The Way Things Are. The last one of these I played was on the ps2 so I'm sure that did it too but I can't remember anything about it. My new only thing that bothers me is the fact that the only unit on the battlefield capable of accomplishing anything is the one you're possessing, but nobody has to tell me that's just how it is. :)

vv I honestly thought that's how it was going to work when I saw a comparison video before getting the game. Just fewer dudes.

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 9, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It feels really lovely to use a screen-clearing huge attack only to see the minimap still filled with red dots, followed by just as many mooks appearing out of thin air :( I wish the game just scaled down the amount of enemies and the requirements for killing them to a point that the console can actually render. Or just let us hit the ones who aren't rendered, but I guess that would take a bit hit on the performance.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Dammit, there are so many "the enemies must be revealed" missions on the left side of the Wind Waker map, it's ridiculous. Feels like there's exactly one path you have to take to get through it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

For those of you struggling with Zant on Giant Bosses: C1 projectiles with full meter takes care of all their WPGs, and you can literally run up and start attacking with regular attacks if one single piece of the WPG is left behind. The trick is to try to hit them with the C1 projectiles as far away as you can, which lets you hit them with a special sweet-spot on the attack that does ridiculous damage on WPGs. This seem to be based on where on the ground the projectiles start hitting, so you may need to adjust yourself if you're on uneven terrain. Of note: Zant, when pulling Argorok down with the Hookshot, pulls Argorok down to exactly where he wants Argorok to be in order to hit him with the sweet-spot.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hoooooly poo poo, gently caress these "kill both commanders" missions. APPARENTLY this mission is "level 3", but i've been failing it with a lv45 Zelda for the last two hours. No matter where i go, no matter what i do, every action i take buffs the other army. Kill a yellow dude? High morale for red. Take over a red fort? Yellow gets reinforcements.
Add to that that these captains take at least 90 seconds to focus down each, and i have time for nothing on this map. Every time, i end up with both armies on high morale and several named captains rampaging towards my HQ 5 minutes in. Every time.
Can't take a step away from my leader, because the time between "critical alert!" and "commander ded" is apparently a whole 10 seconds.

I even have a 5-star rank two weapon for Zelda, what the gently caress do you expect from me here, game???

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The "level 3" on the map only refers to the level of difficulty of that objective relative to the others. So that one is harder than the level 1 and 2 "defeat the commanders of two armies" but easier than level 4 and up.

One thing you can do to make it easier on you is to defeat all the officers on the map EXCEPT the two marked as the valued officers that are your targets. Once you take care of them pick whichever army you want to fight, but remember two things, one is that whichever army you don't pick gets a couple of new officers as reinforcements, and the second is that the other army gets a morale boost.

Generally the first officer I defeat is the red one, because they're more likely to have a named character for their commander. A boosted Icy Big Poe or Stalmaster is a bit easier to deal with than a boosted Girahim or Link.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HenryEx posted:

Hoooooly poo poo, gently caress these "kill both commanders" missions. APPARENTLY this mission is "level 3", but i've been failing it with a lv45 Zelda for the last two hours. No matter where i go, no matter what i do, every action i take buffs the other army. Kill a yellow dude? High morale for red. Take over a red fort? Yellow gets reinforcements.
Add to that that these captains take at least 90 seconds to focus down each, and i have time for nothing on this map. Every time, i end up with both armies on high morale and several named captains rampaging towards my HQ 5 minutes in. Every time.
Can't take a step away from my leader, because the time between "critical alert!" and "commander ded" is apparently a whole 10 seconds.

I even have a 5-star rank two weapon for Zelda, what the gently caress do you expect from me here, game???

Yeah that was the old level 2 Wind Waker unlock which meant doing it with a level 1 Wind Waker on WiiU. :shepicide:

It honestly isn't that bad though. I usually wipe out the yellow commander by the start then head to the middle and kill Wizzro ASAP. Then take out Volga and the buffed Shield Moblins before they get in the base by intercepting them in front of it. By then the Yellow fiery aerelflos leader should be heading towards you so go and take him out.

Then just rack up your KOs on some keeps and you should have enough time to kill Ghiraham. The Rapier special attack absolutely wrecks him and he takes very little time to burst down.

Also consider the Dominion Rod or Wind Waker if you're having trouble. Wind Waker destroys Aerolflos with lightning attacks and you can juggle people basically forever with it. Dominion rod helps you rack up incidental kills so you can focus solely on the commanders and is super safe to attack with since you have so much distance.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 9, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I used to just bring out keep bosses and weaken the gently caress out of everyone, then I would start picking things off.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I just got Legends on Thursday, having a blast with it so far. Right now I have one major question - is it possible to restore the health of your keeps if they start to get low? I've been having trouble with that in Legend mode.

Any other tips for a new player would be greatly appreciated.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah that was the old level 2 Wind Waker unlock which meant doing it with a level 1 Wind Waker on WiiU. :shepicide:

It honestly isn't that bad though. I usually wipe out the yellow commander by the start then head to the middle and kill Wizzro ASAP. Then take out Volga and the buffed Shield Moblins before they get in the base by intercepting them in front of it. By then the Yellow fiery aerelflos leader should be heading towards you so go and take him out.

Then just rack up your KOs on some keeps and you should have enough time to kill Ghiraham. The Rapier special attack absolutely wrecks him and he takes very little time to burst down.

Also consider the Dominion Rod or Wind Waker if you're having trouble. Wind Waker destroys Aerolflos with lightning attacks and you can juggle people basically forever with it. Dominion rod helps you rack up incidental kills so you can focus solely on the commanders and is super safe to attack with since you have so much distance.

Have a fun time when you realize the old Rapier Joke Weapon mission is now the Lv. 3 Wind Waker mission... :shepicide:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I just got Legends on Thursday, having a blast with it so far. Right now I have one major question - is it possible to restore the health of your keeps if they start to get low? I've been having trouble with that in Legend mode.

Any other tips for a new player would be greatly appreciated.

Keeps automatically restore their health over time once there are no enemies left in them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There's a My Fairy skill called Repair Technician that will restore the health of a keep to full one time per level, but you won't have enough food to get that skill until much later in the game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Decided to get the Gold Skulltulas that unlock the last four pieces of the Wind Waker illustration... and unfortunately for me, they're the Hard Mode Skulltulas. Luckily for me, Free Mode exists, and as long as the desired warrior/weapon is among my selected warriors for the mission, the Gold Skulltula will appear after the requirements are done.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay, I'm slightly disappointed Young Link's intro cutscene says "Masked Youngster" instead of "Hero of Time."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone have a code for the new characters for Wii U that came with the 3DS game they're looking to sell off?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Scattered Seeds was cool! Like the Great Sea Map and the Wind Waker epilogue, it focuses on character switching and Owl Statues to give you a fair challenge. It's Hyrule Warriors doing it's own take on the final battle in Wind Waker, and you get to pick three characters (the illustration suggests you take the Wind Waker Trio) up against Ganondorf. Like the Twilight and Termina maps, there's unique dialogue as well.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man, I'm just not enjoying Legends as much as the original.

Legend Mode was much improved in every way, but I feel like Adventure Mode has been sort of ruined by the additions. The ability to choose and switch between multiple characters sort of destroys the difficulty that made the original fun, because now you can just use Master Sword Link for everything. Snore.

Fairy magic is good, but it should be limited to rental skills and the elemental area-effect spells without the initial damaging blast. The fairy magic blast just ruins all the fun in Rack Up KOs/Reach X KOs/Win KO Competition maps.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Legend Mode was much improved in every way, but I feel like Adventure Mode has been sort of ruined by the additions. The ability to choose and switch between multiple characters sort of destroys the difficulty that made the original fun, because now you can just use Master Sword Link for everything. Snore.

Fairy magic is good, but it should be limited to rental skills and the elemental area-effect spells without the initial damaging blast. The fairy magic blast just ruins all the fun in Rack Up KOs/Reach X KOs/Win KO Competition maps.

I wonder if you'll be able to say that once you get to the Master Quest Map.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Dunban posted:

Keeps automatically restore their health over time once there are no enemies left in them.

I never seem to be able to get rid of all the enemies in an allied keep, though, even the Allied Base; more keep spawning in no matter how many I kill and eventually the base ends up falling.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So... don't use Master Sword Link for everything? :confused:

As for KO missions, those were annoying to do in the original. I'm glad to have the nuclear option with Fairy Magic.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

So... don't use Master Sword Link for everything? :confused:

As for KO missions, those were annoying to do in the original. I'm glad to have the nuclear option with Fairy Magic.

Linkle is my first choice for kill X number of enemies. Holy moly can she rack up kills with just the regular attack.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Great Swords!Ganondorf is my first choice. His C5 and C6 are simply amazing for those kinds of missions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If the fun of Adventure mode for you was like the four maps where they let you use a different character instead of the designated one then you probably didn't think Adventure Mode was very fun to begin with. Most levels are still entirely character locked or were always open. If anything I'd say it is the opposite and the new features are underutilized.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Linkle is my first choice for everything, thb

So i've reached one of the quiz misions which uses Agnetha. First quiz is Lana and Midna. I need to defeat Lana.
It's apparently impossible. Even focusing only on her, trying to keep Midna off-screen, Midna just runs into every attack i do while Lana blocks. She also seems to have less health, so even if i do manage to miss her a lot (which is real hard thanks to my character's moveset), she loses health faster than Lana.

What can i do? I've taken mostly to doing quick C2's on the enemy officer, since everything else is sooo slow to attack that it all gets blocked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

So i've reached one of the quiz misions which uses Agnetha. First quiz is Lana and Midna. I need to defeat Lana.
It's apparently impossible. Even focusing only on her, trying to keep Midna off-screen, Midna just runs into every attack i do while Lana blocks. She also seems to have less health, so even if i do manage to miss her a lot (which is real hard thanks to my character's moveset), she loses health faster than Lana.

What can i do? I've taken mostly to doing quick C2's on the enemy officer, since everything else is sooo slow to attack that it all gets blocked.

Boomerang her, it stuns her for a good long time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

HenryEx posted:

It's not just that. She's dark element and Agitha's weapon is light, which does extra damage to dark. That mission is bullshit, btw. Definitely use the Boomerang.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

It's not just that. She's dark element and Agitha's weapon is light, which does extra damage to dark. That mission is bullshit, btw. Definitely use the Boomerang.

Actually, while you're right that Agitha deals more damage to Midna because her weapon is light elemental, what element the character uses has no say in what their actual elemental weakness is. Of course, some things like Link and Zelda being weak against dark elemental attacks and Ganondorf being weak against light is pretty logical and a done deal, but some are a bit more tricky. And then there's the fact that even if a weapon has multiple elements in theory (Like Sheik's Harp or Agitha), only the element that the weapon is actually associated with counts for purposes of dealing more damage than normal.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ImpAtom posted:

If the fun of Adventure mode for you was like the four maps where they let you use a different character instead of the designated one then you probably didn't think Adventure Mode was very fun to begin with. Most levels are still entirely character locked or were always open. If anything I'd say it is the opposite and the new features are underutilized.

Nah, the fun was being made to use a character I didn't normally use and have to figure out how to make them work with the stage. Now you can basically use one character for everything, by just choosing them as your second chara and switching immediately. I know you don't HAVE to, but when the easy option is there...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna back this dude up that the first two maps as of now let you just spam Master Sword Link 90% of the time because after finishing Legends mode he's going to be so far ahead of everyone else with such a strong weapon you're kneecapping yourself by not picking him as a assist. It's like I can pick Tingle with a 92 strength balloon and chip things to death or I can pick up my roided out link with a 300 weapon and get easy A ranks.

Like he's going to fall off but saying "Just you wait, in 3 or so adventure maps he won't be so useful" isn't very good argument wise when those 2-3 adventure maps are all 6 or so hours long.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Folt The Bolt posted:

Great Swords!Ganondorf is my first choice. His C5 and C6 are simply amazing for those kinds of missions.

I found his delays for strong attacks were too much - I constantly end up hit.

For the Apothecary, what boosts should I be shooting for? I unlocked the second or third level and there are tons of choices now.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I found his delays for strong attacks were too much - I constantly end up hit.

For the Apothecary, what boosts should I be shooting for? I unlocked the second or third level and there are tons of choices now.

I typically dodge-cancel the attacks if someone gets too close for comfort. Lets me try again or, failing that, eventually gets me the fully charged C1 which knocks opponents away, giving me ample time to set them up for C3 or C6 spam.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well if you're like me and haven't been using the owl statues or character swapping in battle, the first Wind Waker level will cure you of that right quick.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, the Master Quest 7-14 "guard the keeps" mission against nine poes is insanely tight. I'm sure there's a good line to take care of things, but Zelda always seems to be on the opposite side of the map from where she needs to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Nah, the fun was being made to use a character I didn't normally use and have to figure out how to make them work with the stage. Now you can basically use one character for everything, by just choosing them as your second chara and switching immediately. I know you don't HAVE to, but when the easy option is there...

You really can't. There are way more stages locked than unlocked and the hardest stages are still locked. (Though they're rebalanced to be easier since you're going to have level 1 weapons almost entirely.)

Like honestly the rebalancing is more significant than being able to bring in another character because the overall difficult of the first Adventure map is way lower since the game is designed with the assumption it isn't the only map you're playing and damage numbers are better leveled.

Folt The Bolt posted:

I typically dodge-cancel the attacks if someone gets too close for comfort. Lets me try again or, failing that, eventually gets me the fully charged C1 which knocks opponents away, giving me ample time to set them up for C3 or C6 spam.

I've tried playing that and it's boring and makes him even slower than he already is because of how often you dodge cancel.

On the other hand playing Zant in Legends has given me a new appreciation for him. That dude is frigging nuts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 11, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I've tried playing that and it's boring and makes him even slower than he already is because of how often you dodge cancel.

It works extremely well however.

Another thing you can do with officers (that aren't character enemies) is C2 -> dodge cancel after the sword plant -> C3 -> C3 -> C6

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand playing Zant in Legends has given me a new appreciation for him. That dude is frigging nuts.

Post-buff Zant is just leagues above what he used to be, and over most characters in Hyrule Warriors. He's got some amaing options masked or unmasked.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah and you can still do that. There is nothing stopping you from figuring out a new character. Nothing. If you just want to use Master Sword Link for everything, then fine. Do that. Go nuts!

Just don't do that, and then come back and complain that the game is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I almost never use Link because Linkle exists and is the superior hero.

• Locked thread