Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dan's rocking this poo poo despite the wooden puppet fortress obviously being made for only one direction.

So how do you use the ninja armor or the invisibility spell anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

So how do you use the ninja armor or the invisibility spell anyway?

The armour you bring along as an item, and the ninja in question automatically equips it for the duration of the level. It even changes their model (Much like everything else, the armour works with anime rules)

The invisibility spell is an on-use deal that turns you invisible for like, 15 seconds or until you attack someone..

We use both of them before Ayame's storyline is done, and I'll be showing off some of the other items we didn't see in the post game, so look forward to it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lazy Bear posted:

Y'know, when Grace drinks, dear Lord does she drink the good poo poo. I kind of want that now.

Im the opposite, I want what Dan's having. You have either incredible taste in beers or an incredibly good craft scene around you.

(Hunted down a Chimay Bleu, heavenly)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ah, nice. You ever figure out what the crystal does?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Ah, nice. You ever figure out what the crystal does?

In a manner of speaking :v: I only end up bringing it to the final level, and even then I couldn't really tell what it did until I looked it up afterwards. Even reading the in-game description didn't really make me feel it, but it's more of a passive boost than anything else.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im the opposite, I want what Dan's having. You have either incredible taste in beers or an incredibly good craft scene around you.

(Hunted down a Chimay Bleu, heavenly)

Chimay is pretty great as far as beers go. Even if it doesn't taste great, it's strong as gently caress, which is what I really care about in a beer.

(I'm a total beer plebian if it's not obvious)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Your gagging made me kind of nauseous sometimes. Don't punish yourself so much :P

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Danaru posted:

Chimay is pretty great as far as beers go. Even if it doesn't taste great, it's strong as gently caress, which is what I really care about in a beer.

(I'm a total beer plebian if it's not obvious)

Ask for a Russian Imperial Stout next time.

theyre 15% abv and above

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Dan should look into picking up Hobgoblin. One sip of that, and he will play like a gaming GOD so that he never has to drink it again. Best performance enhancer.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Gotta say that this game looks satisfying when it works / you do well, and infuriating the rest of the time. So probably not something I should endeavor to play. Those moments when the AI just bugs out and just walk in circles or into walls are great though!

Also as a survivor of the anime trenches I'm going to partially defend those times because it at least felt like they were trying. Extras, at least for non-100+ episode series were better than they are today. 3 episodes for $30 was still better than japan's 2 episodes for $80. And it felt satisfying getting that special edition Vol.1 w/box and gradually filling it up over the next year with those lovely bi- or tri-monthly schedules. :love:

Croccers posted:

Bwahaha, 2003 too early for jiggle physics? Bwahaha oh no, it was just the beginning.
Not to mention that DOA2: Hardcore was a PS2 launch game. Tenchu's devs were clearly too classy to include jiggling.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Editing together tomorrow's episode since I was so busy fighting with footage from the other thread that I forgot to do it, and here's a preview for tomorrow

https://zippy.gfycat.com/OffbeatHatefulAcornweevil.webm

Tenchu, THIS is why people call you janky.

Also if I ever make a patreon, one of the goals will be me playing Dead or Alive Xtreme just to see if Grace becomes a clingy or a murdery yandere.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 10 - The Lowest Effort Dunk

Gohda doubles down on being a complete loving moron, and we double down on levels full of instant death pits. Ganda dies again and that kill-stealing prick Tatsumaru doesn't get the credit this time! :v:

By the way just to confirm, I generally don't have a walkthrough open, not because I'm good, but because walkthroughs don't really help as much as a map does, which we already have. I'm still not sure if that last bit was a glitch or what. :shepface:

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
If you do go for DOA it will be nice to se Grace on the other side of the torment.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And splice it into the middle of a sonic game

also props on the bear stealth kill

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 26, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Bear Stealth Kill is something I'm pretty proud of, even if the minutes before it were me literally falling on top of the bear, then getting kicked in the head by a monk.

Tomorrow's episode will actually go up on Tuesday, I'm trying to coordinate both threads so I don't have two videos releasing on the same day, which was a fairly stupid idea I only wised up to when we're like two thirds done with Tenchu :shepface:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Did someone... say NINJA BEAR?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg5q4o5sKpI

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 11 - #NotAllOni

I love this game so much

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow goddamn Grace even I felt that one. Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIY36UbDbQQ

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 29, 2016

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
This episode made me remember something really sad.

Eight years ago I REALLY liked Higurashi. So I have all the games and for some reason the collectors edition of both the live action movies. I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to buy the second one. The first one is really bad. I don't think I've even watched the second.

I just checked what is in the collectors edition and it comes with a frame from the actuall film real. Haha what is this poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nyagato posted:

Eight years ago I REALLY liked Higurashi. So I have all the games and for some reason the collectors edition of both the live action movies. I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to buy the second one. The first one is really bad. I don't think I've even watched the second.

I just checked what is in the collectors edition and it comes with a frame from the actuall film real. Haha what is this poo poo.

:magical: My condolences

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Every now and again, when someone I know makes a promise, I end up demanding they say it in red.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm just imagining Garret the Master thief creeping along behind the Player characters and constantly making the :ughh: face at them in disgust.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Lazy Bear posted:

Every now and again, when someone I know makes a promise, I end up demanding they say it in red.

ahaha.wav

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Just came across this thread, dunno how I missed it for so long. I love this game to pieces. I did notice, though, nobody seemed to mention that Tajima, the gun-wielding subboss from the first chapter is a direct homage to Unosuke from the movie Yojimbo!

There's a number of shout outs to Akira Kurosawa's work in the Tenchu series, which always makes me happy because Kurosawa is seriously one of the best directors the 20th century produced, but he never gets the regard he deserves.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 12 - Cam Clarke Stole My Heart

Tesshu is... really loving awesome. Way more awesome than you'd expect a secret bonus character to be. He doesn't deal with Tenrai, or even with Ayame bizarrely enough, although you can still KINDA piece it together with Ayame's story, unlike Rikimaru being dead until Ayame got to Kimaira's funhouse of idiots.

Tesshu is a total goddamn badass too. He has no Kuji-in meter, instead he just gets all his moves right off the bat. He has our old standbys, like feign death, cling to cieling, power block, and the move that knocks people away. He also has 'Enrage', which is pretty much just a free strength potion whenever you want, and Mimic Animal which is the same as the Mimic Whistle for the Azuma duo, a rare-rear end item you can use to immediately go from ?! status to all clear. For free. Guard just found his friend's head ten feet from the rest of his body? Oh hey a rooster crow must have been nothing. It's a free all clear, one question mark no rugs pool in the back.

I uh, I forgot decided to do a challenge run where I don't actually use any of these moves, so... hoo boy are you guys in for a treat.

This also marks the second time we've encountered Cam Clarke as a wall of punches :v: He laughs a lot less this time around though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Danaru posted:

Also I'm rescinding the rule about no spoiler talk about Tesshu now.
Oh thank god I can now comment without ruining everything. His stealth kills are the best, even if the x-ray bits do look laughably low-budget with sliding still images and whatnot. The heart-rip in particular.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I dunno, they have a kitschy charm. Like the effects in a b movie.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh they certainly do have that sort of charm (the whole game does really), I just can't help myself from laughing at them.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Tesshu is a stone-cold badass, full stop. He don't need no fancy spells or crazy ninja techniques. Hell, he doesn't even need a weapon, he just blocks those spears with his grapefruit-sized brass balls and the rips a fucker's heart out so the enemy can watch himself die.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 13 - Ganda's Revenge

"See overtime will be fine as long as I don't end up taking a bunch of shots, and I mean, at this point I have all the bosses pretty much memorized"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Isn't this where you died the last time?"

But we're only 10 minutes into the video, how are we going to top-

:allears:

Your description of the Aladdin cartoon is also fairly accurate.

You probably should give yourself a cutoff point so you don't literally kill yourself.

On the other hand, listening to your mental breakdowns is loving amazing.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Dan please set a limit for yourself, we dont want you to die.

Fun episode though!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You're like a pendulum between :v: and :smith: whenever you go naked dan.

Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is Japan-only to this day. You can get an english patch tho and it's p cool.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 6, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

You're like a pendulum between :v: and :smith: whenever you go naked dan.

I try not to, but I tend to get a little too real when I drink a bunch. I'm a very honest and open guy, moreso when I've got alcohol :v:

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Dan please set a limit for yourself, we dont want you to die.

Section Z posted:

You probably should give yourself a cutoff point so you don't literally kill yourself.

Don't worry, I know my limit, sometimes I press it but I won't die :v: I did come very close to calling it at the end of this episode because WOW Ganda wrecked my poo poo

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cool, it's just funny when you go from "no I don't want to do the graveyard again!" to "my relatives were dicks to me" to "HAHA you didn't see me kill you!"

It's like whiplash :v:

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
That tiny shrine you showed off a few episodes back was adorable. I liked Ayame but how in the world was she able to climb and shimmy with those blade clearly grasped in her hands? Anime? Jank?

Surprised at how big a dude Tesshu is. Quite a stark difference from the others. Those stealth kills he's got are crazy over the top in a good way!

Even if you have to play with and against yourself, show off the Multi-player please! I must witness this Ninja Dog I've recently read about!

Nyagato posted:

Sounds like I got off easy. I bought the first three dvds of the anime and was left hanging when Geneon dumped it/died. Money well spent? :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

pick-e posted:

Surprised at how big a dude Tesshu is. Quite a stark difference from the others. Those stealth kills he's got are crazy over the top in a good way!

You can really feel Tesshu's size when you're playing too, even compared to Rikimaru, Tesshu drives like a tank, but in a good way unless you're in the buddhist temple. He also does more damage with his fists than Rikimaru does with the sacred magical sword of the Azuma clan. Tesshu's a god drat champion.

quote:

Even if you have to play with and against yourself, show off the Multi-player please! I must witness this Ninja Dog I've recently read about!

:ssh: There might be a secret bonus episode after the LP is over

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying the LP so far. Haven't quite caught up but it's a joy to watch you guys banter while tackling PS2 jank.

This may have been addressed in future videos but Jennifer Hale plays the woman playing cards with Yamcha in Ayames first mission. While she isn't named in game, I'm guessing this is Keiken.

I also vaguely remember one of you (Grace?) wondering if the Wii game follows Wrath of Heaven. While the Wii games gimmicks (motion controlled stealth kills :cripes:) and length make it feel like a side game it is a direct sequel to Wrath of Heaven that ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. Fun fact, while the Wii game was called Shadow Assassins here, in Japan it was just titled Tenchu 4 :eng101:.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I thought Tesshu was meant to be a vigilante...y'know, for justice. Instead, he's killing the guards of Ghoda, a benevolent lord, just to get to Rikimaru for a personal grudge.

Tesshus version of the Buddhist temple was complete bullshit. I remember dying a few times trying to grapple through that tunnel/chasm/whatever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Death Zebra posted:

I thought Tesshu was meant to be a vigilante...y'know, for justice. Instead, he's killing the guards of Ghoda, a benevolent lord, just to get to Rikimaru for a personal grudge.

So Tesshu is the Rikimaru of Vigilantes, basically :v:

We just need a sassy but competent lady Vigilante for the circle to be complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nyeehg posted:

I also vaguely remember one of you (Grace?) wondering if the Wii game follows Wrath of Heaven. While the Wii games gimmicks (motion controlled stealth kills :cripes:) and length make it feel like a side game it is a direct sequel to Wrath of Heaven that ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. Fun fact, while the Wii game was called Shadow Assassins here, in Japan it was just titled Tenchu 4 :eng101:.

That was actually the first game I owned for wii, I still have it sitting around somewhere. Unfortunately the second game I bought was Punchout, so once I got to the first motion controlled stealth kill, I was like "yep time to punch some folks."

oh also

Let's Play Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven Episode 14 - A Matter Of Survival

An extra long episode where we beat Tesshu's campaign and check out a certain bonus mission! Notice how it was Grace's idea to do the bonus level in this episode!

Fun story, back when we played MGS2, there was a point where I accidentally left steam open and it decided to use ALL of my computer's resources to update every single game I owned. As a result it hosed up the recording and made it so Premiere couldn't encode it properly, and I had to cut out a large chunk of the footage. I only mention this because OH BOY IT DID IT AGAIN. It was only for a couple seconds so I just cut out everything because I'm too drat tired to come up with an effecient fix. It was only about four seconds unlike last time, but it's still enough to bug me. :argh:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 11, 2016

• Locked thread