Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

tarzanspuma posted:

Can't remember if these had ABS as standard?

They do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
https://twitter.com/CaltransDist7/status/642013973429256193

Angeles Crest closed again, "AngelesCrestHwy (SR-2) CLOSED Islip Saddle to 5 mi w/o Big Pines rock&mud slides. Opening unknown"

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I'll be in Orange county this week and would love to rent a bike while I'm there. Anyone know of a place which rents any bikes other than cruisers or ninja 250s? (Nothing against the Ninjette, just too small for me)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

EkardNT posted:

I'll be in Orange county this week and would love to rent a bike while I'm there. Anyone know of a place which rents any bikes other than cruisers or ninja 250s? (Nothing against the Ninjette, just too small for me)

Beverly Hills Rent-A-Car on Sepulveda by the airport has had a slew of white 848's out front. Dunno what they'll run you though, probably a pretty penny.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
What's with the dozens of "Motorcyslists use caution" signs up ACH. Went up to the observatory last night and was weirded out by all of them. We went up there at like 5pm, and came back at 2am and saw 2 motorcyclists total (riding normally), while about a half dozen plus rice rockets racing up and down between the there and back trips.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Rice rockets. What's next, slant bikes?

Thought we were better than that around here.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

Gillingham posted:

What's with the dozens of "Motorcyslists use caution" signs up ACH. Went up to the observatory last night and was weirded out by all of them. We went up there at like 5pm, and came back at 2am and saw 2 motorcyclists total (riding normally), while about a half dozen plus rice rockets racing up and down between the there and back trips.

Bikes ride during the day. The signs are because there was gravel while they were paving the road. Cars go racing at night.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm confused, you only saw 2 motorcycles but a bunch of rice rockets? That's slang for a japanese sportbike...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nitramster posted:

I'm confused, you only saw 2 motorcycles but a bunch of rice rockets? That's slang for a japanese sportbike...

I've always heard crotchrocket for bikes, rice rocket for import cars.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Nitramster posted:

I've always heard it anything for modified imports generally cars. Specially there were several modified imports complete with decals all over. Google image search seems to agree.

Pooper Hero posted:

Bikes ride during the day. The signs are because there was gravel while they were paving the road. Cars go racing at night.
I guess that makes sense, just feel like only pointing out warnings motorcyclists is going to give car drivers an even more self righteous feeling when being an rear end in a top hat.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 25, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Gillingham posted:

I was up there a couple of weekends ago (in my friend's truck) and noticed it was deer season - hunters parked on every turnout. The campgrounds were packed solid and I even saw a few guys who bagged (laughably small) bucks. We had to brake hard for a large group of idiot hikers who picked up some lovely footpath at the Horse Flats/Santa Clara Rd turnoff, dropped downhill and were standing in the middle of the goddamn road all wearing $1500 apiece in REI hiking gear - they were waiting for a girl who was terrified and locked up on a slippery 4-foot section in the "trail", next to the highway. I also saw a biker on what had been a really pretty 80s/90s neon color japanese bike who had just hit and killed a small doe. He was fine and some hunters had stopped to help him with the deer. A few corners later another doe jumped right out at us and dodged back off the highway. When I got to the bottom near the Shell station I saw ambulances hauling rear end up.

Combine all the spooked-out deer dodging hunters, the hunters themselves pulling out in trucks on corners, the already-mentioned paving gravel and sand/rocks from the last big rain and I think the local EMS services are probably just running out of neck braces. It's just now cooled down enough for everyone to decide to go be outdoorsy in the "forest" and the whole place up there is a shitshow.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 28, 2015

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I sold my old 98 Intruder for monies that I needed at the time, but transportation now dictates looking into another bike (yay!). Where can I buy a quality bike in Los Angeles? Bert's seems shady as gently caress. I liked my intruder, and am interested in something like a Shadow. I'm open to sports bikes, but that's be a harder sell.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I'm going to take some pictures and put them this in the CA Marketplace when I get home later, but I'll throw a post in here in the mean time. I have a 2006 Kawi ex250 red that's not running that I've been trying to offload on craigslist. I have no idea what's wrong with it and don't have the time or inclination to get it working especially since I'm considering a move. title free and clear and registered through the end of dec. I have $1000 into and was hoping to get $800, but I'd let a goon have it for $500? When I picked it up it was leaking coolant from a bad o-ring and when I changed the oil after riding it home it had little to no oil. Seats in good condition, fairings are missing some tabs, battery has been on a tender since it stopped running. I don't know if this would make a good project bike or just a parts bike. alternatively anyone know a junkyard that might buy it for scrap or whatever?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

mrking posted:

I'm going to take some pictures and put them this in the CA Marketplace when I get home later, but I'll throw a post in here in the mean time. I have a 2006 Kawi ex250 red that's not running that I've been trying to offload on craigslist. I have no idea what's wrong with it and don't have the time or inclination to get it working especially since I'm considering a move. title free and clear and registered through the end of dec. I have $1000 into and was hoping to get $800, but I'd let a goon have it for $500? When I picked it up it was leaking coolant from a bad o-ring and when I changed the oil after riding it home it had little to no oil. Seats in good condition, fairings are missing some tabs, battery has been on a tender since it stopped running. I don't know if this would make a good project bike or just a parts bike. alternatively anyone know a junkyard that might buy it for scrap or whatever?
You can always just call up http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/ or even get a quote online so you know what they'll offer no strings attached. I tend to try getting a quote over different days/times because they can vary wildly. I had one offer for my old beat up truck that needed a new engine at $500, and another at $300, and I was able to hold them to the higher one.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
It's cold, man. Not complaining after this summer but I went from sweating my balls off to freezing them off in the span of a long weekend.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

mrking posted:

in case anybody is interested I'm giving this pile of parts away for free. It will probably run again, but I am not a mechanic and also moving soon.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=59#post453379427

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mrking posted:

in case anybody is interested I'm giving this pile of parts away for free. It will probably run again, but I am not a mechanic and also moving soon.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=59#post453379427

I'll take it. Please shoot me a text (eight three one) 915-1900

PM'd as well.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 4, 2015

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Moving to Echo Park from Seattle soon and can't wait to start enjoying the benefits of lane-splitting.

Should we be keeping a record of things like EatSleepRide profiles?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Squirrel Burger posted:

Moving to Echo Park from Seattle soon and can't wait to start enjoying the benefits of lane-splitting.

Should we be keeping a record of things like EatSleepRide profiles?

You should let me test ride your brammo when you arrive. I can offer... Baked goods in return.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SaNChEzZ posted:

You should let me test ride your brammo when you arrive. I can offer... Baked goods in return.

Bring it out to Indio and I can offer a place to sleep and smoked meat!

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

everyone come ride out with me and Nate Falls

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Squirrel Burger posted:

everyone come ride out with me and Nate Falls

Beware of Nate's chops. I've seen them in person, and they could be a rather distracting feature if visible outside the helmet.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Finally got the Brammo here. First taste of the LA superslab: Echo Park to John Wayne Airport, ~50 minutes, average 70 mph, 100% to 27% charge.

Conclusion: your freeway pavement sucks and you should feel bad. But I will learn to love you.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Squirrel Burger posted:

Finally got the Brammo here. First taste of the LA superslab: Echo Park to John Wayne Airport, ~50 minutes, average 70 mph, 100% to 27% charge.

Conclusion: your freeway pavement sucks and you should feel bad. But I will learn to love you.

Think the freeway is bad, just wait til you have to take the street somewhere.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Orange county to echo park eh? If you had to go on the 5 often, yeeesh. Construction is a mess in orange county, lanes are kinda narrow so splitting takes more attention, no carpool lanes...

Streets aren't so bad on the east side but I'm not sure about your specific area (I'm northeast of you in pasadena)

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Angryboot posted:

Orange county to echo park eh? If you had to go on the 5 often, yeeesh. Construction is a mess in orange county, lanes are kinda narrow so splitting takes more attention, no carpool lanes...

Streets aren't so bad on the east side but I'm not sure about your specific area (I'm northeast of you in pasadena)

Not often, just taking a day flight to Washington and using one of the secret awesome airports that isn't LAX or Burbank. Not risking splitting in morning traffic, but streets at 40mph felt downright creamy compared to pushing 80 on the superslab. Thank god I have good shocks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Somebody want to buy 2010 ninja 250 for 800ish? It's one of those pretty green ones. A little rashed. 5k miles.

It ran perfectly up until the time I switched bikes and stopped riding it, and stuffed it in the back of my garage then forgot about it...3 years ago. It hasn't so much as been turned on since that time, so you'd have to tow it out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=59&perpage=40#post455291620

As for freeway riding, it's the best core support exercise since deadlifts. The streets, or my shocks, get shittier every year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I want it! Just wish I had a truck to bring it back to the Bay Area in. :shepicide: I need something for Lady Chiche to learn on. If you've still got it in a month or two I might make a trip down there just to pick it up....

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

I want it! Just wish I had a truck to bring it back to the Bay Area in. :shepicide: I need something for Lady Chiche to learn on. If you've still got it in a month or two I might make a trip down there just to pick it up....

Sorry. Z3n had a friend who also wanted a learner bike and a reasonable fixer-upper. He moves fast. :unsmigghh:
At least it found a good home.

Z3n, your buddy seemed like a really cool dude. I hope he makes it back safe today - it's a long round trip in the middle of the night. I also hope we secured the bike well enough. He'd never transported a bike, and I've never done anything but ride on one. :shrug:

I haven't ridden it for years, but now that it's gone it's a bittersweet feeling. There were some good times surrounding that bike.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Back from Santa Ana to Echo Park, charged up to 69% (heh heh) in that big weird Costa Mesa shopping mall before departing. Managed to get home at 9% battery with the bike yelling at me about it, but that was drat good mileage for highway riding. Apologies to the people stuck behind me while I hypermiled in a tuck at 55 mph the whole way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Drifter posted:

Sorry. Z3n had a friend who also wanted a learner bike and a reasonable fixer-upper. He moves fast. :unsmigghh:

Z3n, your buddy seemed like a really cool dude. I hope he makes it back safe today - it's a long round trip in the middle of the night. I also hope we secured the bike well enough. He'd never transported a bike, and I've never done anything but ride on one. :shrug:

I haven't ridden it for years, but now that it's gone it's a bittersweet feeling. There were some good times surrounding that bike.

Drifter posted:

Glad you guys were able to work it out!

Selling your first bike is always a bittersweet feeling. I made it easier by blowing the engines on the first 3 bikes I owned. (Well technically I traded my 250 for another bike which I then blew up).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

No worries. I'm glad you've got it out of the garage and hopefully back on the road.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My new pinlock visor worked out great this evening. Need to get some toggs though, even my underwear was soaked through.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have experience with Socal Supermoto's supermoto or sportbike classes?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think BlackMK4 did one and liked it.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Favorite day trip destinations? Done lake arrowhead, and Idyllwild with the girlfriend so far, would like to keep it to <2hrs each way as the seat on the versys is not really friendly to the passengers rear end apparently. Somewhere we we can ride out, then mostly walk around for a day is ideal.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Have you done Julian, CA? Apple pie and some nice mountain roads. Rode up there yesterday and it was perfect.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...1c7fed40f1dd3dc

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

belt posted:

Anyone have experience with Socal Supermoto's supermoto or sportbike classes?

I took the class last year on a Monday at Adam's. There were six of us and we didn't end up sharing the track with the karts so it was endless riding time. My first time on a non-supersport so it took a while to get used to the bikes but I learned more in that day of riding than a full season of normal trackdays - the way the bike lets you push the front end around, the rear hammering when you're trying to carry too much corner speed, and the whole bike just moving around through the big sweeper is really interesting. The owner was cool as poo poo and I had a great time. I'm considering going again with a guy I work with who hasn't ridden a bike in a long time.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Anyone have a recommendation for a safety course, and what I'd need to bring? I live in Lakewood but work down in Irvine, so anything along the 405 in OC would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
It needs to stop raining so much. Why the gently caress is it raining every day in SoCal?

• Locked thread