Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I don't understand why eugenics people sterilized kids and stuff like nigga why bother if the supermen you're breeding will outcompete them anyway

It's like you wanna drive the Mach 5 but slash everyone else's tires at the same time

I just assumed it was White people who hate people of African origin :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Sialia posted:

It's pretty retarded, there is no way he will not be discovered in space anyway, and then he will be remembered as a criminal. Additionally, there was never any proof there wasn't a heart condition, we just didn't see it yet. He may well have developed something after launch

You see the scene where he's on the treadmill?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Applewhite posted:

We can only hope.

Though I doubt it as the whole reason he didn't get laser eye surgery in the first place was that the scars are detectable.

You'd think he could make up some excuse for that (say, forgetting to wear safety glasses while using power tools). And wouldn't contact lenses be just as detectable to anyone paying that level of attention to his eyes?

Applewhite posted:

Yeah seriously they should have sprung for the friggin' designer package.

The movie did seem to imply that designer babies were more or less the norm (as opposed to being limited to the upper class as some people have feared) - that the only natural combinations of sperm and egg were from people with some philosophical objection to genetic engineering (as evidenced by the term "faith child").

Which does raise an interesting question: Is there any ethical excuse to let a child suffer from a debilitating condition because the only effective treatment to prevent it is too unnatural for your liking?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cockmaster posted:

Which does raise an interesting question: Is there any ethical excuse to let a child suffer from a debilitating condition because the only effective treatment to prevent it is too unnatural for your liking?

None that I can see. Objecting to designer babies is tantamount to saying you think it's good and right that some people be born with congenital disabilities.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

None that I can see. Objecting to designer babies is tantamount to saying you think it's good and right that some people be born with congenital disabilities.

it's god's/satan's will, you heathen

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
GATTACA!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

cheerfullydrab posted:

deception movies: the thread
Gone Girl

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Sialia posted:

You could almost end up with civil war or an illegality behind non-designer children. Then what happens when the 'accidents' come along? They are removed from the home, the family never to see them again, because if they are let live in the general community then you will get this poo poo happening. And it all starts because of one loving guy.

We can already do in vivo gene modification thanks to recent technological developments. In the dystopian future we live in, your pathetic, inferior babies will be modified into ubermenschen before they're ever born!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cockmaster posted:

The movie did seem to imply that designer babies were more or less the norm (as opposed to being limited to the upper class as some people have feared) - that the only natural combinations of sperm and egg were from people with some philosophical objection to genetic engineering (as evidenced by the term "faith child").

There is no gene for the human soul spirit

(its a movie about "faith people" triumphing through deception.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So in Gattaca the guy's parents are like people who think vaccines cause autism, then they vaccinate their second child after the first gets whooping cough.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Applewhite posted:

Vincent Freeman was diagnosed with a congenital heart condition that could kill him at any time after the age of thirty, as well as nearsightedness. He hides these handicaps from his employers at the space program (by assuming the identity of someone with a more suitable genetic profile) and through hard work and determination, earns a spot on the Mars mission. Hooray! Triumph of the human spirit over cold genetic calculation, right?

Wrong.

Vincent Freeman is endangering the lives of his fellow astronauts and the viability of the Mars mission. What happens when he has a heart attack halfway between Earth and Mars, huh? What happens when he runs out of saline solution for his contact lenses after six months? Because there's no way he brought an eight year supply.

What happens when one of his contacts gets dislodged during a spacewalk and he can't fix it because of his space suit, and his hand eye coordination is severely impaired?

And even if nothing bad happens, are we to assume also that none of his fellow astronauts are going to notice he's putting in contact lenses every day? How can they trust him once they discover he's not who he said he was?

I'm not denying that what Vincent did was a major accomplishment, nor that he overcame seemingly impossible odds to accomplish his dream, but he was so focused on whether he could do it, he never stopped to ask himself whether he should.

There was no evidence that he didn't bring any of that stuff. Plus he made it this far; you're telling me he isn't smart enough to figure out ways to survive a 8 year journey? Additionally one of the doctors knew so it's not ridiculous that someone might accommodate him. The world molds to the people who are determined enough to sculpt it. Have some faith man.

I think you'll understand a bit better if you have some of my hair.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I think worse than the parents using eugenics on Anton was not naming Vincent 'Anton' because he was gonna die. The dad was a huge dick.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think people should not make sci fi films where they take a modern social issue and invent a society what that issue is the only thing that matters

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That's 90% of Sci Fi, I think that's why Sci Fi exists in the first place

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I remember Gattaca being really loving boring. That is all I remember.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Honestly I don't think Ethan Hawke has ever been in anything that has been boring, even his critically acclaimed slice-of-life movies that on paper should be snooze-fests

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I saw this movie and don't remember ANYTHING about space or astronauts or anything of the sort. I mean it was like17 years ago and all but drat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They spend less than a minute in space, I didn't even remember there was a murder in it

I mean I watched it 10 years ago but drat

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched this movie in AP Biology class and also Jurassic Park

That's my story, hope you liked it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I don't think Ethan Hawke has ever been in anything that has been boring, even his critically acclaimed slice-of-life movies that on paper should be snooze-fests

Gattaca came out in a year where I was a freshman in high school (so a dumb rear end in a top hat) and when I was living on an Airforce base in South Korea. I hit the theater on base 3+ times a week, hit the awesome Korean arcades downtown, spent tons of time at the gym and pool and rec center, worked construction for less than the Federal minimum wage for the Department of Defense (their excuse was that they only had so much money to pay the military dependent workers, so the more who applied, the less everyone got paid. So my $4.25/hour funded all of this) and had started to realize that girls made me feel funny. Gattaca was a boring piece of trash at the time. I imagine I'd find it quite engaging these days.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's on Shomi, go watch it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Vincent Freeman was diagnosed with a congenital heart condition that could kill him at any time after the age of thirty, as well as nearsightedness. He hides these handicaps from his employers at the space program (by assuming the identity of someone with a more suitable genetic profile) and through hard work and determination, earns a spot on the Mars mission. Hooray! Triumph of the human spirit over cold genetic calculation, right?

Wrong.

Vincent Freeman is endangering the lives of his fellow astronauts and the viability of the Mars mission. What happens when he has a heart attack halfway between Earth and Mars, huh? What happens when he runs out of saline solution for his contact lenses after six months? Because there's no way he brought an eight year supply.

What happens when one of his contacts gets dislodged during a spacewalk and he can't fix it because of his space suit, and his hand eye coordination is severely impaired?

And even if nothing bad happens, are we to assume also that none of his fellow astronauts are going to notice he's putting in contact lenses every day? How can they trust him once they discover he's not who he said he was?

I'm not denying that what Vincent did was a major accomplishment, nor that he overcame seemingly impossible odds to accomplish his dream, but he was so focused on whether he could do it, he never stopped to ask himself whether he should.

Honestly you're right

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Jimmy the Greek realized that America did its own form of gene modification without science and it took under a century.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

What are they gunna do? Turn the shuttle back? Do you have any idea how much it costs to launch a shuttle to mars? Even in the future, they'd be like *ehh*, gently caress it. Then they would crack down on testing 10x as hard on the rest of the workers LOL

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

What are they gunna do? Turn the shuttle back? Do you have any idea how much it costs to launch a shuttle to mars? Even in the future, they'd be like *ehh*, gently caress it. Then they would crack down on testing 10x as hard on the rest of the workers LOL

Exactly, Vincent's little stunt basically hosed everyone over on the ship and Earth. Congratulations on being the last in-valid who will ever even get to look at a spaceship, dickhead.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I don't know about anyone else but it seems like climbing into and incinerator and burning yourself to death isn't the best way to commit suicide.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i don't respect the movie of Gattaca, and i don't respect jude law

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

nomadologique posted:

i don't respect the movie of Gattaca, and i don't respect jude law

Jiggalo Joe, what'd ya know

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

-Double post, deleted-

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Gattaca is probably my favorite movie ever, but yes Vincent definitely had his fatal heart attack during the mission and maybe caused the death of everyone on board since he was supposed to be their navigator I'm pretty sure, what a dick

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

Aralan posted:

Gattaca is probably my favorite movie ever, but yes Vincent definitely had his fatal heart attack during the mission and maybe caused the death of everyone on board since he was supposed to be their navigator I'm pretty sure, what a dick

Same here. I loving loved this movie, but Vincent was a dick.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Gattaca 2: The In-Valid Wars

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I don't know about anyone else but it seems like climbing into and incinerator and burning yourself to death isn't the best way to commit suicide.

No but it's the manliest.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the one thing gattica did bring to the table is

you can use invalid as an insult to strangers on the internet

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zippy the Bummer posted:

paging Enfield

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why did they scan everyone every day? People usually don't have to show their ID every day in case someone shows up at the office and starts pretending to be them while no one else notices.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MeLKoR posted:

Why did they scan everyone every day? People usually don't have to show their ID every day in case someone shows up at the office and starts pretending to be them while no one else notices.

The movie takes place in the same shared universe and at the same time as Minority Report. It's just neither movie bothers to mention the other so it's not obvious.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You can read all about it in my fanfiction: the Gattaca Report on Fanfiction.net.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The only thing Gattaca did wrong was not giving the genetic underclass something to do so they wouldn't just be hanging out in slums all day. Give them an opportunity to do honest, fulfilling work through a Civilian Conservation Corps kind of program. You don't need to be a genetically engineered superman to plant trees.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cheerfullydrab posted:

So in Gattaca the guy's parents are like people who think vaccines cause autism, then they vaccinate their second child after the first gets whooping cough.

no thanks i'd rather not :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I remember Gattaca being really loving boring. That is all I remember.

we watched it in school and it was :mediocre:

• Locked thread