Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Evil Canadian posted:

Just to confirm I am not crazy, the breakoff between fast roll/normal roll is <30% encumbrance and >30% correct?

Oh man your guy is way fatter than mine, did I gently caress up and miss a thickness slider somewhere? :(

It's actually the armor believe it or not. :mmmhmm:

Fast roll <30%
Normal roll >30% - <70%
Fat roll >70%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

killed the what now? I mean I got stuck there for 20 minutes running down every tunnel and dead end and reading every plinth and talking to the blacksmith guy four times before I figured out to teleport to the real game. There's a gate? There's a master?

The "master" is just the uchigatana guy, and I think its actually a From joke about newbie weaboos using katanas and being bad with them :haw:

The dead end is a gate you open from the other side later in the game, don't worry about it. You're supposed to teleport and clear the first zone.

Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

Soho Joe posted:

What in the gently caress, intro area the first boss

Holy poo poo. Holy holy poo poo.

Haha. Yeah. He schooled me pretty bad for a while. BloodBorne really messed with my Souls play-style. Especially with parrying; I have no idea how to time it now.

But wow. Great game so far. Loving the visuals, and the gameplay is really fluid. Only got up to Firelink Shrine tonight. Can't wait to move on tomorrow.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's actually the armor believe it or not. :mmmhmm:

Fast roll <30%
Normal roll >30% - <70%
Fat roll >70%

Good to know on the dodge then.

What/where is that armour?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jose posted:

i found a greataxe on the corpse or something i killed at the first bonfire :getin:

I had a Great Machete drop early on and I've been using it since. :getin:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HairyManling posted:

I'm a couple of hours in and no I haven't seen anything like the Capra demon fight at all.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I guess I can just pick it up on Steam and get a refund if I'm not having a good time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait, the one thing that I really dislike about this game is that they ruined the Binoculars. Why would you do that, From, you heartless jerks :negative:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The first real boss is pretty fun. Still simple but interesting and introduces something new. I feel like this game above all else takes the best from the souls series so far and does its best to make the most of it, it even takes elements from two and uses them in cool ways and it gets a lot from bloodborne without its front loaded bullshit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Good guy Siegmeyer teaches you a toast gesture and gives you a beer too :)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Good to know on the dodge then.

What/where is that armour?

Exile Armor from Exile Warriors in Farron's Keep into Farron's Ruins before its bonfire. You'll see them before you get to the bonfire. They uh... have large weapons. Very large..

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Does stuff still despawn if you kill it enough times?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Does stuff still despawn if you kill it enough times?

Nope.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Game owns, I'm having a blast with my pyro but I think my fire uchigatana is starting to fall off in damage. It'll be a long time until I get my faith/int gets high enough for chaos weapons, what are some good raw/fire/deep weapons ? Low req and fast attacks if possible

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I swear to god it took me an hour to kill the first boss being deprived doesn't help much whereas my friends were like "Oh I killed that first try, hur hur" loving bastards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheMopeSquad posted:

I swear to god it took me an hour to kill the first boss being deprived doesn't help much whereas my friends were like "Oh I killed that first try, hur hur" loving bastards.

I found having a good shield made an incredible difference.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

TheMopeSquad posted:

I killed him first try

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

net cafe scandal posted:

Look around some more and you will find the man known as the Master

I uhh Looked up and saw someone new but he didn't call himself a master. I'm guessing he respecs? Do I keep looking?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah you'll know the master when you see him

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
I actually cannot play the game anymore. Every time I load my character it instantly crashes because I spawn next to a bonfire. Yikes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

The "master" is just the uchigatana guy, and I think its actually a From joke about newbie weaboos using katanas and being bad with them :haw:

The dead end is a gate you open from the other side later in the game, don't worry about it. You're supposed to teleport and clear the first zone.

I straight up do not comprehend how there could be a nook or cranny of firelink shrine that I haven't seen I mean it loops back in on itself or is dead ends all over the place. I think the entrance is permenantly fog-doored over. I found everyone I brought from the first area but I do not see a master.

You don't gotta draw me a map or anything. Just dang, I don't see it. Whoopie! It's a dark souls game I ain't played 30 times! I'm lost as poo poo and loving it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemonpieman posted:

I actually cannot play the game anymore. Every time I load my character it instantly crashes because I spawn next to a bonfire. Yikes.

Assuming you've already turned lighting to low and SSAO to off?

Krinkle posted:

I straight up do not comprehend how there could be a nook or cranny of firelink shrine that I haven't seen I mean it loops back in on itself or is dead ends all over the place. I think the entrance is permenantly fog-doored over. I found everyone I brought from the first area but I do not see a master.

You don't gotta draw me a map or anything. Just dang, I don't see it. Whoopie! It's a dark souls game I ain't played 30 times! I'm lost as poo poo and loving it!

The entrance is fogged over in order to make it load faster if all you need is to talk to NPCs, say to level up, which happens often. From learned from people hating BB's load times. If you stand near the fog door for awhile, it'll load fully and let you through.

There are indeed a ton of winding paths around firelink.

Yeah being lost is a big part of the fun. You only get to experience it once for the first time, being lost. Every run after this won't be as good. Enjoy it :)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lemonpieman posted:

Settings: Lighting: Low

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Ok I like the smoothness of my PC version but playing in 1440p on the PC I find the weaker areas of the graphics more noticeable. My instant reaction is 'Oh these edges wouldn't seem so pronounced on the TV/PS4'. Loving it so far but considering picking up a PS4 version today before I get to far in it. Also my PC is making atrocious coil whine with DS3 for some reason which I've not really had before to this extent. :shrug:

Not sure though, my brain is telling me double dipping is a bad idea - and technically it runs smoother on the PC.

First impressions were - as a knight too - oh this is more responsive and I can tell its the same engine as bloodborne but of course a souls not a borne game. Wasn't struggling at all though and wondering if it was just because I'd played the other games or the 60FPS responsiveness I wasn't used too after BB but then one of the worshiping undead on the highwall turned into some big Manus-ey monster thing, which caught me off guard and ended up wrecking me. It was both awesome and hilarious.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
Killed the "first" (I might have missed an optional one?) 6 bosses so far; having a loving blast. 5th boss: Deacons of the Deep fight is probably my favorite so far; they made a horde boss actually cool and good and subverted the "play defensively, forever" strategy that works for 99% of Dark Souls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

When you help a host kill a boss, you are both embered and given an ember item. If you're in a covenant, you can get both covenant items and embers still.

Its super easy to farm up embers helping people co-op if you run out!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is it just me, or does it feel like you earn souls a lot more slowly this time around? That lady in Firelink has a neat key for sale that I'm sure leads somewhere fun, but man 20k souls is steep right now. I tried helping people out on the second boss after I beat it, but it was giving me like 700 souls or some pathetic amount.

This game is really, really awesome, though. I'm super bad at parrying right now - should have gone back to DS1 / 2 for a bit of practice I guess.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
my firelink shrine bonfire says I haven't downloaded the game or something? What do i do

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

my firelink shrine bonfire says I haven't downloaded the game or something? What do i do

The PS4 version lets you play the tutorial area when the game is only partially downloaded. You need to wait until the rest is finished downloading.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Traxis posted:

The PS4 version lets you play the tutorial area when the game is only partially downloaded. You need to wait until the rest is finished downloading.

ok but can i download something to download faster or wha

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is it just me, or does it feel like you earn souls a lot more slowly this time around? That lady in Firelink has a neat key for sale that I'm sure leads somewhere fun, but man 20k souls is steep right now. I tried helping people out on the second boss after I beat it, but it was giving me like 700 souls or some pathetic amount.

This game is really, really awesome, though. I'm super bad at parrying right now - should have gone back to DS1 / 2 for a bit of practice I guess.

Did you just come from DS2 scholar edition? Because they loving quadrupled your souls gains for no reason. The base game, and DS1, were both comparable to this, I feel.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I love this game and am going to play the hell out of it, but does it feel like a weird amount of fan service? Like I can tell half the enemies were put in just because people liked them and wanted their poo poo and they don't thematically fit there at all, and a lot of the zones seem to be them squashing two or more levels together (i.e. Farron feels a lot like Blighttown and Forest, Catacombs feel like...well, the Catacombs, plus Sen's and the Depths). I mean I'm not complaining, it just feels weird.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I got a lot of souls doing co-op farming sun medals, some bosses are really fast (and now I have all the embers I need)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Abyss Watchers was a cool-rear end fight.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Oh man I don't think I can do this loving Giant god drat Tree boss as a Thief, you really need either Range or AoE and I have neither and am very rusty and keep thinking if I get hit I can just get that HP back by wailing on them like Bloodborne.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Sooo the bloodstains in that cathedral with the nice lady are pretty :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Oh man I don't think I can do this loving Giant god drat Tree boss as a Thief, you really need either Range or AoE and I have neither and am very rusty and keep thinking if I get hit I can just get that HP back by wailing on them like Bloodborne.

That boss is kinda like the lost sinner in DS2, its available early on but isn't really an early boss. Or kinda 4K? Its pretty hard and you can feel free to put it off till later.

The next boss is a good bit easier IMO, you could move on and come back. You can teleport after all!

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Look at his hands and legs.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

InflateableFerret posted:

Look at his hands and legs.

I know the trick it's just really hard when your weapon needs you to be inside him to hit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Krinkle posted:

Did you just come from DS2 scholar edition? Because they loving quadrupled your souls gains for no reason. The base game, and DS1, were both comparable to this, I feel.

That and Bloodborne, but I've been in the endgame of that for so long that I can't even remember what the early situation was like. You're probably right, and it's been a long time since I've played DS1. That's crazy though, I had no idea they did that for Scholar.

The 20k price tag is probably a sign that I shouldn't be buying this key yet, but what the hell is the point of these games if not to make poor choices and get smashed to bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thumbtacks posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and am going to play the hell out of it, but does it feel like a weird amount of fan service? Like I can tell half the enemies were put in just because people liked them and wanted their poo poo and they don't thematically fit there at all, and a lot of the zones seem to be them squashing two or more levels together (i.e. Farron feels a lot like Blighttown and Forest, Catacombs feel like...well, the Catacombs, plus Sen's and the Depths). I mean I'm not complaining, it just feels weird.

What enemies? That being said it is pretty fan servicey considering how many returning weapons there are, some odd choices made it in as boss soul weapons.