Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RBA Starblade posted:

I couldn't even land a parry on the tutorial enemies, though I got partial ones. I just gave up and switched to one that lets me use the weapon stance instead.

Then I learned that the longsword weapon stance sucks.

Going from clowning on Silver Knights in DS1 to having one hold me down and spit in my mouth repeatedly was not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
So I really enjoyed DS1 and played about an hour or 2 in DS2. Go straight to DS3 yay or nay?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Oxxidation posted:

The world is caught between two opposing forces, Fire and Dark. Originally there was nothing but Dark in the world and all creatures were immortal - including the Ancient Dragons - but then the First Fire came into life, introducing change and mortality. Several mighty personages took hold of sparks of the First Flame, deposed the Ancient Dragons, and created a mighty and utopian empire with the power they held, but like all fires, the First Flame eventually started to gutter and die. This allowed Dark to creep back into the world, and introduced the undying and ever-more insane Undead.

The gods who first gripped the flame tried, with increasing desperation, to relight it, but most of their attempts only made things worse: the Witch of Izalith attempted to make a new flame, but only destroyed her body and introduced demons into the world; Nito, First of the Dead, merely shut himself back away in his coffin, but found his power leeched away by the insatiable Pinwheel; and Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight, tried to grant fragments of his own powerful soul to human leaders, but they were tempted by the Dark and became the twisted Four Kings. Eventually Gwyn found himself driven to desperation, and returned to the Kiln of the First Flame to "link the fire," using his own soul as kindling for the hearth. He would burn eternally in the Kiln to keep the Fire going, while his old friend Frampt tried to tempt some hapless Undead into empowering their own soul and doing the same. But even if they did, the time would come 'round again when the First Flame sputtered out, so the world is trapped in a perpetual cycle of sacrificial Fire and growing Dark.

Then Dark Souls 2 happened. It was largely nonsense.

Dark Souls 3 seems to take place in a world so exhausted by the endless cycles that not even linking the fire is enough anymore; many of the Undead have become "ashen," their feeble souls unfit to even be kindling for the Flame. The latest solution has something to do with gathering up the various Lords of Cinder who sacrificed themselves to the Kiln in ages past to give the world enough strength to live on. I don't think it's going to end well.

To expand on the DS2 bit, my take on it was: DS2 is a story of a Chosen Undead trying to break the cycle through other means. Vendrick should have been the Chosen Undead to relink the fire as he became very powerful and found the Kiln, but instead of relighting the flame he walked away and built his castle on top of it. Vendrick steals either a dragon egg or the ability manipulate souls from the giants, drawing their ire. The giants resemble the Soul Golems in DS2, and the new NPC in DS3 talks about soul transposition (or whatever), and it may not be coincidence that the pilgrims who come to die at the feet of dragons like Yoel also have the eyeless-cyclops aesthetic just like the giants, so maybe the giants were the OG dragon worshippers? (They turn into trees when they die I guess, maybe related to the trees during the grey/dead age from before.)

His/Aldia's experiments with souls and dragons results in the Emerald Herald, who was meant to solve the problem somehow (combine the ability to link the flame with the strength of a dragon?) but ended up unsuccessful as fate will not be cheated (I think theres a direct quote to this effect somewhere). Your character in DS2 is the 'second' Chosen Undead to come along and link the fire, taking it to the logical, cyclical conclusion that Vendrick wanted to get out of.

Its important to note also, I think, that in DS2 you have some characters becoming aware of the cycle. Straid, Chloanne and Shalquoir (among others) all talk about the various kingdoms rising and falling, of how there are always the 4 old ones, of how no one ever remembers what the place is called. I don't think that in DS3 that flame is so weak that it now requires 4/5 kings to activate it, I thin that perhaps with more cycles more people have become aware of the nature of this world, and the process has been formalized. That there are 4 kings missing reflects how in games past there were 4 bosses to beat. Perhaps people now understand that power accumulates in those 4 old souls that are required, and instead of the risky rigmarole of having one chosen undead guy gather them all up, perhaps the Lords of Cinder are meant to be martyrs? Martyrs that have abdicated their duty in this go around.

I haven't put too much time into DS3 yet but one NPC says something to the effect of you being a Lordseeker, that being a Lordseeker is the job of the Unkindled (possible chosen undead) for ages. Perhaps that exiled guy in the firelink is the first LordSeeker to gather them up, but was unable to convince them to give themselves up to light the fire? You need to hunt them down now to bring them to heel? This is all just conjecture.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Robo Reagan posted:

Spoiler how to become a Sunbro tia

In the house of the Undead Settlement where you meet that first red-eyed whirliweapon farmer, and two of those jingly elves, you should have noticed there is a door you cannot open. But you can get in above it, through a hole in the floor on the level where there's about 50 billion hanging bodies. Then you'll find the sunbro's insignia, right where sunbros belong. mmmmmm tasty

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Valiant Pudding posted:

So I really enjoyed DS1 and played about an hour or 2 in DS2. Go straight to DS3 yay or nay?

Yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My realization this morning:

"Those Lothric Knights sure are loving me up something awful. How do I deal with them? Oh, I know! How about I nut the gently caress up and parry them and kill them in one hit loving duh"

They're deceptively easy to parry, is what I'm saying. Just gotta have the balls to try in the first place. But also I haven't tried to parry a spear one yet so :v:

Valiant Pudding posted:

DS3 doesn't rely on you having played DS2 to enjoy it, so I'd base it on whether you really want to keep playing DS2 or if you want to jump on DS3 while it's new and everyone's confused and knows nothing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

User-defined tags for DS III season pass on Steam looking good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Where's a good place to put down a summon sign for the High Wall? I'd like to help some people with the boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I accidentally saw a thing and apparently if you kill the crestfallen knight his ashes can be given to the merchant for more loot? Or maybe it's quest related. At any rate there seems to be a lot of that kind of thing.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
is Geforce gtx 860M good enough for the game? It seems to be on par with the minimum requirement card.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

Spoiler how to become a Sunbro tia

someone post how to get the clothes as well

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

In the house of the Undead Settlement where you meet that first red-eyed whirliweapon farmer, and two of those jingly elves, you should have noticed there is a door you cannot open. But you can get in above it, through a hole in the floor on the level where there's about 50 billion hanging bodies. Then you'll find the sunbro's insignia, right where sunbros belong. mmmmmm tasty

I saw a sign that said a direction and that that thing you mention and thought "gently caress it lets go exploring" and found it. Then immediately went back to the previous boss and sunbro'd for the rest of the night.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harrow posted:

Where's a good place to put down a summon sign for the High Wall? I'd like to help some people with the boss.

Bottom of the stairs right before the entrance to that room.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh poo poo I've been describing that boss completely wrong. I thought it looked like Witch Beatrix, but uh it's called Crystal Sage and is probably actually Big Hat Logan :aaa:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Wow. Getting the infinite use red eye orb and invading Lothric Castle as a purple guy is the best.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

is Geforce gtx 860M good enough for the game? It seems to be on par with the minimum requirement card.

I'm playing the game on an iMac with a 780M and it runs fine. Besides, if you get the game and it runs like crap for you then you can just ask Steam for a refund. There's zero risk with trying the game out for yourself.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

RBA Starblade posted:

Then I learned that the longsword weapon stance sucks.

The R1 sweep is pretty baller for being able to actually guard break the greatshield knights, as opposed to the fiddly-as-poo poo kick (why is it weird and hard in a different way in each game) which cannot

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Corvo posted:

I'm playing the game on an iMac with a 780M and it runs fine.

well then, off to the flame-gulag it is!!

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Guys, if you're hovering around 50-55fps you should turn off adaptive vsync since it screen tears your rear end in this game and install evga precision, and proceed to limit fps to 59. It will avoid dropping frames to a multiple like vsync always does and will prevent screen tearing making the game more playable.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Otakufag posted:

Guys, if you're hovering around 50-55fps you should turn off adaptive vsync since it screen tears your rear end in this game and install evga precision, and proceed to limit fps to 59. It will avoid dropping frames to a multiple like vsync always does and will prevent screen tearing making the game more playable.

Is this in the menus or do you have to gently caress with ini or cfg settings?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Hey guys, was playing last night and was crashing about every fifteen minutes or so. Not from approaching bonfires, but from loading new areas? Crashed opening the door to Firelink Shrine, crashed on returning to a bonfire after getting killed pretty far away, etc.

The way it's crashing almost makes it seem like I'm running out of video memory, but I've got an MSI GTX970, so that shouldn't be the problem.

So, did anyone fix crashes like these by switching to knight / setting lighting to low? Would test now, but I'm at work.

Edit: Game is running completely smooth otherwise; I forced v-sync on so it wouldn't exceed 60 FPS.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I tried the old driver trick for Nvidia cards and my framerate has gone from an unplayable 10-15 to a bearable 25-30. Not great, but I can play at least now!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just started as an assassin, got the first boss into his second form, got completely and utterly owned. Good Dark Souls

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

My son Vordt sure is buggy in co-op. Last night he refused to attack anyone for 3/4 of the fight, and today I go in and he's totally invisible. The summoner and the other phantom can see/hit/be hit, but I just flailed around uselessly for the entire fight. I could hear them hitting Vordt, but couldn't see him.

Got the reward, though :)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lol I killed the guy with the stone on his back who you're supposed to get in firelink :downs:

I kind of hate the build i did so I might start over

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Traxis posted:

Buy the key from the lady in Firelink (the 1,500 soul one, not the 20k) and then explore the sewers underneath Undead Settlement

I take it it only becomes available once I'm further in the game? Nobody at firelink has aonther key to sell

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheQat posted:

Lol I killed the guy with the stone on his back who you're supposed to get in firelink :downs:

I did that too because I took his dialogue literally. He says "Grant me death" so out came a claymore leap attack.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I did that too because I took his dialogue literally. He says "Grant me death" so out came a claymore leap attack.

Yeah exactly :unsmith:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Anyone tried Mercenary as a starting class? I can't decide between Knight, Mercenary or Warrior.......... (not got game yet).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheQat posted:

I talked to him but haven't seen him appear there since unless I'm looking in the wrong place

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is this in the menus or do you have to gently caress with ini or cfg settings?

Just make sure it's not forced on in the gpu control panel and limit fps to 59 with the aforementioned software.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
For the Knights patrolling Lothric I've found a simple kick to break their guard is all I need to start chopping away.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Still can't beat tutorial boss. I am aware I need to get good. I just can't seem to dodge him properly and can't block as a Herald. Tried hugging him and strafing to right, he just does some attack and I'm on my back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple of newb questions.

What stat to I have to pump to bump up the weapon arts meter? Is it the same as building up magic since it's the same bar?

Can you respec weapons this time around or maybe get some upgrade materials back, or it the usual souls fare where you are locked to upgrading only a couple of weapons in a play through?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Jose posted:

I take it it only becomes available once I'm further in the game? Nobody at firelink has aonther key to sell

You'll eventually find some "_____ Ashes" items, bring them to the maiden and she'll expand her inventory

Jose posted:

I talked to him but haven't seen him appear there since unless I'm looking in the wrong place

Facing the blacksmith go left and follow the river, most (if not all) npcs will either be left/right from the blacksmith along the path or in the stairs at the bonfire

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 12, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harrow posted:

I put mine right before the Balder Knight 2.0 guys who patrol. Right near the NPC summon sign. That way you're almost sure to get picked by someone who is embered since it'll be one of the first signs you'll see.

Did they cap the souls you get for repeat summons on a boss? I kept on fighting ice Sif last night and I noticed I was barely getting 1,000 souls for each fight. Took me forever to grind up the 20k souls you need for the Tower Key...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Otakufag posted:

Just make sure it's not forced on in the gpu control panel and limit fps to 59 with the aforementioned software.

Neato I'll look into this.

Here's a bookmarking gif so I can find this later
http://i.imgur.com/bS4dXAP.webm

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Innerguard posted:

Still can't beat tutorial boss. I am aware I need to get good. I just can't seem to dodge him properly and can't block as a Herald. Tried hugging him and strafing to right, he just does some attack and I'm on my back.

No I'm with you, my first run was as a Herald but for some reason I really couldn't get the blocking down and I felt my dodge was a bit too slow so I moved over to Assassin. Herald is in a weird place for its block/dodge balance I think.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

scamtank posted:

The R1 sweep is pretty baller for being able to actually guard break the greatshield knights, as opposed to the fiddly-as-poo poo kick (why is it weird and hard in a different way in each game) which cannot

a giant wall of steel vs. your tiny foot

I mean come on now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Innerguard posted:

try keeping a long distance, he does one of two things in that situation--basically high jump attack or long lunge attack. either one is super easy to dodge and leaves him open to 2-3 hits. the same thing applies in the second phase, but it's high jump and wide sweep medium jump instead