Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

flashy_mcflash posted:

TNA's new lead in is That 70's Show instead of Days of Our Lives

POP should run the episode that the Rock guest-starred on before every episode of Impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is the closest TNA will ever get to The Rock.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

flashy_mcflash posted:

We just need Fez.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Angular Landbury posted:

We just need Fez.

Wasn't he doing some poo poo with TNA a long time ago when people were convinced for a brief period that Wilmer Valderrama was the next big thing?

EDIT: I'm thinking of Johnny Fairplay. Because they two of them look so much alike.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think that it's great that TNA Impact will no longer have lower ratings than Days of Our Lives.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ayn rand hand job posted:

I think that it's great that TNA Impact will no longer have lower ratings than Days of Our Lives.

Instead they'll get lower ratings than reruns of a mediocre sitcom that's been off the air for a decade.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

a mediocre sitcom

I will kick your rear end.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I will kick your rear end.

Go ahead, it won't change the fact that the only worthwhile parts of that show past the first season were his parents and maybe Tommy Chong.

EDIT: Oh, and the music, but it was set in the late 70s, so that's a given.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

OctoberCountry posted:

This is the closest TNA will ever get to The Rock.

From what I remember that episode also had Matt and Jeff Hardy as wrestlers in the background.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Also, Ken Shamrock with giant sideburns

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Also, Ken Shamrock with giant sideburns

Also also, Ernie Ladd and Gene LeBell.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's good that pop tv is running that 70s show re-runs since every other channel to already exist has done that. It's a coming of age ritual for new or rebranded channels

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
tna's journey won't be complete until it's sandwiched in between re-runs of Wings and Ned & Stacy on some channel in the 700s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I would like TNA's lead in to be Columbo and Columbo crushing TNA in the ratings department gives Dixie the idea of having a Columbo-based gimmick portrayed by Chuck Palumbo because their names look sort of similar.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Pope Corky you're going to be wearing your rear end as a hat

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tato posted:

tna's journey won't be complete until it's sandwiched in between re-runs of Wings and Ned & Stacy on some channel in the 700s

What do you have against Thomas Haden Church?

Sotar posted:

Pope Corky you're going to be wearing your rear end as a hat

As if I'd wear anyone else's.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
A ladder match for control of the knockouts? What the....

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mila Kunis was like the one thing I remember from That 70's Show

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was there ever a time when it looked like TNA could build up and be a genuine second option, not compete with WWE but be bigger than any other US fed apart from WWE?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

Was there ever a time when it looked like TNA could build up and be a genuine second option, not compete with WWE but be bigger than any other US fed apart from WWE?

They had that chance when they were on Spike. When Spike dumped them that was the end of TNA being #2 IMO.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
Pretty sure that bringing in Russo, Bischoff, Hogan, Flair, Hall, Nash, Angle, the Hardys, Sting, the Steiners, Booker, etc. was pretty much the beginning of the end. Instead of building their own stars - which they were doing an incredible job of - they brought in the old-timers and WWE future endeavored and changed their signature six-sided ring to appease Hogan and just wound up looking like a washed-up WCW 2.0 headed by someone who clearly isn't very savvy in the industry.

Somewhere between Dixie buying the company but before they brought in everyone, there was a glimmer of hope, but she clearly went off the rails.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
TNA always looked like WCW 2.0 to varying degrees even before the Monday Night Slapfight.

To me, it was part of their charm. A bunch of new guys to have good matches, a bunch of old guys to show me what I missed on Nitro. Farewell TNA, I don't care what they say about you, you were alright in my book until everybody left and Matt Hardy was champion.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer said this morning that the identity of the new crop of TNA investors should come out in the next few days. There's no deal currently finalized.

Even though they haven't signed a deal yet, these people are bank rolling the next set of tapings.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Needs More Ditka posted:

TNA always looked like WCW 2.0 to varying degrees even before the Monday Night Slapfight.

To me, it was part of their charm. A bunch of new guys to have good matches, a bunch of old guys to show me what I missed on Nitro. Farewell TNA, I don't care what they say about you, you were alright in my book until everybody left and Matt Hardy was champion.

Its kind of sad because when you listen to the Bryan and Vinnie reviews of the Impacts around Hogan's arrival it sounds like they were getting things on-track. They picked a handful of established TNA guys like AJ, Samoa Joe, Eric Young, Abyss, and Beer Money, then paired them up with Hogan, Flair, Nash and a few other National names in different little factions, presumably to us the TEW method of making them bigger deals by association and eventually putting them over. Then they picked two big stars, Sting and Angle, to anchor the company until the crop was done growing.

At least that's what it seems like the intent was on paper. Obviously it didn't work anything like that, not the least of reasons being nonsensical writing, bad direction and formatting, and a habit of putting over the guys who were supposed to be giving the young boys the rub instead of the young boys themselves. Still, it could have been a good plan.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TNA always had the ability to build momentum and stature given the investment that it was receiving, but I think any potential it had died with the re-hiring of Russo in 2006.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
There's a rumour among some fans that it is this businessman interested in TNA: http://www.soradevelopment.com/Tom-Fore.html

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rovert posted:

Meltzer said this morning that the identity of the new crop of TNA investors should come out in the next few days. There's no deal currently finalized.

Even though they haven't signed a deal yet, these people are bank rolling the next set of tapings.

Every name on the investor sheet just reads "Eric Bischoff".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hell I'd love if Eric Bischoff got back in the game.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/721721079128055812

https://twitter.com/RazorCabrone/status/720678862095409152

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Amy Renee posted:

Pretty sure that bringing in Russo, Bischoff, Hogan, Flair, Hall, Nash, Angle, the Hardys, Sting, the Steiners, Booker, etc. was pretty much the beginning of the end. Instead of building their own stars - which they were doing an incredible job of - they brought in the old-timers and WWE future endeavored and changed their signature six-sided ring to appease Hogan and just wound up looking like a washed-up WCW 2.0 headed by someone who clearly isn't very savvy in the industry.

Somewhere between Dixie buying the company but before they brought in everyone, there was a glimmer of hope, but she clearly went off the rails.

When did tna ever do an "incredible job" of building their own talent, unless you mean they jobbed them incredibly

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

When did tna ever do an "incredible job" of building their own talent, unless you mean they jobbed them incredibly

This is true. Before they were jobbing their own talent to ex-WWE/F and WCW oldies they were jobbing to ECW wash-ups and Jeff Jarrett.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ultragonk posted:

2006-2007 TNA had a viable business plan and a compelling roster. Then they blew it up bringing Russo in.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dave outright said that it's not Bischoff or anyone else we'd have any reason to know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i hope whoever it is realizes that tna just needs more russo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

We just need Vince Russo with a haircut and shave

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

2006-2007 TNA had a viable business plan and a compelling roster. Then they blew it up bringing Russo in.

They brought Russo in September of 06. Before then they had something of an idea of a business plan but had kind of blown it by July/August. The product was getting really stagnant and lame with Jarrett bullshit and turning the X Division into a joke/Jackass product placement. They were definitely kind of growing before that, but it was becoming obvious they weren't satisfied with incremental progress.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That guy is funding the taping because he wants to gently caress Dixie. Let's be real here

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Remember when non wrestler Serg punched out former and future world champion AJ styles for maybe loving dixie

E:

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 17, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Remember when non wrestler Serg punched out former and future world champion AJ styles for maybe loving dixie

E:

He flip bumped for the Serg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TNA has always been periods of hope (some longer than others) before brutally ruining it all, usually to put over some gently caress people only care about because of WWE/WCW. That, maybe more than the talent and the money, is why they are such a punchline. They know how to put on a quality product built around their home-grown talent, they just actively choose not to.

• Locked thread