Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Skim Milk posted:

Do red dot scopes have a faster ADS?

Than higher magnifications, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I am bad at this game. I thought the learning curve would be about five seconds long but NOPE.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Node posted:

I am bad at this game. I thought the learning curve would be about five seconds long but NOPE.

The "basics". Bind a mouse button to swap primary. Always reload in safety, don't be walking around corners or entering doorways while reloading. Teammates will never have silenced weapons when they spawn on you behind enemy lines. Never slow peek, always fast. Mind your cover angles and once you get to know the map flow your pretty much set.

Oh and don't spawn on cqc no matter how much he is begging for ammo. And don't play against chrono/the goon stack, it is a bad time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

xyigx posted:

The "basics". Bind a mouse button to swap primary. Always reload in safety, don't be walking around corners or entering doorways while reloading. Teammates will never have silenced weapons when they spawn on you behind enemy lines. Never slow peek, always fast. Mind your cover angles and once you get to know the map flow your pretty much set.

Oh and don't spawn on cqc no matter how much he is begging for ammo. And don't play against chrono/the goon stack, it is a bad time.

Good tips. The basic problem is though, when its a fair fight, I lose, because I miss, and the bad guy reduces my health to zero with his bullets.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The secret to LMG supremacy is flash hider+bipod, go prone in a bush.

The secret to wining 1v1 as assault is to learn the AEK or Famas.
The secret to wining 1v1 as engineer is to use the MPX or SR2.
The secret to wining 1v1 as anything is to use the ACE 52 or 870MCS.

Also press Q.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does jumping make you move faster or something? I'm confused why the majority of my death screens is me seeing the guy not only run to cover, but run to his own side of the map and jump the entire way there.

E: Also is there something I'm missing about the AN 94 that always kills me in 1 shot

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Due to the netcode, jumping fucks with hitboxes something fierce and makes it difficult to land hits on a jumping target.

It also can cause weird un-counterable frontstabs if someone jumps before knifing, again probably because of netcode lag prediction nonsense or whatever.

Or it might just be force of habit from bunny-hopping being a thing in so many FPS games.

The AN-94 might be able to kill in a single burst if both shots hit the head before its damage drop-off starts. Damage is like what, 24.5 at close range, and headshot multiplier is something like 2.1? That's two shots doing 51~ish damage each.

Node posted:

Good tips. The basic problem is though, when its a fair fight, I lose, because I miss, and the bad guy reduces my health to zero with his bullets.

I think Sun Tzu said something that was basically "never get into a fair fight."

Tips for vehicles: Learn how to shoot on the move, and keep moving. The longer you stay still the shorter your lifespan in that vehicle will be.
Perpendicular shots and those to the rear and side armor do more damage than glancing blows and those against the front armor.
The Mobile Anti-air owns but the majority of players have no idea how to use it properly. See Chronojam for details.
Pick your battles against infantry, vehicles move faster than them, so just keep trucking if you don't have the advantage.
The AMTRAC turret has a .50 cal in addition to its grenade launcher. Push 2 to use it.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 21, 2016

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Concordat posted:

Tips for vehicles: Learn how to shoot on the move, and keep moving.

Most people are terrible with vehicles, as a pretty decent tank guy I can give some pointers. Never stay in a fight you don't control 100%, disengage immediately if you think there might be more engineers than you can handle. Face to face tank battles are boring and dangerous, tricking a tank to overextend and follow you into your teams infantry blob or another friendly vehicle is better and funnier.

The best tip for the MAA is to run Zunis/30mm, when you don't pester the enemy air with ineffectual lockons 24/7 they get overconfident, I've killed so many airspergs because they just fly over the MAA if it isn't locking them. Zunis let you ambush tanks and kill them, and you can use them to check hiding spots that you don't have LOS to for infantry. Shoot a Zuni in there and if you get hitmarkers you know there is a dude there. Also don't camp close to your spawn like an idiot, the 30mm let's you turn dudes into a fine pink mist. Be on the frontline, but move from place to place so the enemy team won't know where you will strike.

For the AN-94 put it in burst mode for good times.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

IR + Cannister shells = tank funtimes.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pound_Coin posted:

IR + Cannister shells = tank funtimes.

It's a great way to get accused of cheating.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Node posted:

Never fight a fair fight. Grab a bullpup carbine and when your in a one on one at short range start shooting then start to ads if needed. Most players will always ads and that gives you a jump on them. I say grab a bullpup carbine because you can use the same gun on all the classes while you get used to everything else.

And if you have not already bind the swap primary, when your both jumping and shooting and having derp fight when you run out of ammo just tap a side button on the mouse while 90% of the players just stop and stare while they reload.

Leal posted:

Does jumping make you move faster or something? I'm confused why the majority of my death screens is me seeing the guy not only run to cover, but run to his own side of the map and jump the entire way there.

E: Also is there something I'm missing about the AN 94 that always kills me in 1 shot

Nope not since bf3 has bunny hopping made you faster. But as said it makes you way harder to hit. An-94 just had funky issues and is super affected by the servers tick rate(hrz).

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

All these posts had me thinking there was a leak for bf5 :(, good tips for new players though. I'll chime in on saying regardless of what you're using get in a squad and make sure your squad perk is the best one for your play style. For example, on assault I run the one that gives sprint first, then ammo, etc.. If you're bad but just stick with your squad you can just roll over people playing as lone wolfs, which is 80% of people right now.

Also there are no bad guns, shoot dudes with whatever looks cool.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Sandweed posted:

The secret to wining 1v1 as anything is to use the ACE 52 or 870MCS.

Can confirm, 870 will kill lots of people AND make them mad as poo poo when they repeatedly fail to flush you out of your capture point hidey hole.

just be sure to not miss

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

The Jumpoff posted:

Can confirm, 870 will kill lots of people AND make them mad as poo poo when they repeatedly fail to flush you out of your capture point hidey hole.

just be sure to not miss

Man, for me the 870 is either a serial killing machine, or it's a kill assist point farmer. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but like all the shottys and me I'll either destroy the whole match or go without.

Some people though, God drat. Some people make it look so easy. And consistently.

Also on the squad perk thing: I switched over to repair perks since I've been a schmuck on a few 24/7 Golmund servers and as an engineer and a competent tanker you can hold down a whole half/quarter of a map yourselves.

Nateron fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 21, 2016

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Nateron posted:

Man, for me the 870 is either a serial killing machine, or it's a kill assist point farmer. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but like all the shottys and me I'll either destroy the whole match or go without.

Some people though, God drat. Some people make it look so easy. And consistently.

Also on the squad perk thing: I switched over to repair perks since I've been a schmuck on a few 24/7 Golmund servers and as an engineer and a competent tanker you can hold down a whole half/quarter of a map yourselves.

I run it with Full Choke/Kobra (don't have the Coyote for it yet) sight/Laser. It sounds loving stupid since Full Choke and Laser don't really work together, but for some reason it works for me.

In regards to Squad Perks, the only class I don't run Offensive on is Engineer, because Anti-Tank once you get extra rockets is just way too good.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Jumpoff posted:

I run it with Full Choke/Kobra (don't have the Coyote for it yet) sight/Laser. It sounds loving stupid since Full Choke and Laser don't really work together, but for some reason it works for me.

In regards to Squad Perks, the only class I don't run Offensive on is Engineer, because Anti-Tank once you get extra rockets is just way too good.

full choke and laser work great.

I run iron sights or an ACOG on the 870

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Some more tips from a mediocre player:

-If you're willing to eat the decrease in range, silencers increase life expectancy. Pubbies don't know what to do when you don't show up as an orange dorito on the minimap. This can become a crutch though.

-the black ops or whatever perk on sniper is extremely good for taking out armor and moving through areas. Combo it with C4, wookie balls and either a carbine or shotgun to maximize your lethality.

-If you really need to deal with a competent pilot in the air, an AA mine and law/smaw works wonders. Most pilots do not expect the AA mine it was poo poo terrible up until recently. They'll fly close, eat the mine's missile and then get disabled. A law or smaw will destroy it immediately.

-Do not underestimate how effective hipfiring is. Even if you haven't built a gun for it, opening fire first and ADSing if you must is extremely effective. You can also build PDWs for hipfire and just play battlequake 4.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What does ADSing mean?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Aiming Down Sights. When you've got the weapon raised for precision fire.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sandweed posted:

For the AN-94 put it in burst mode for good times.

Yeah, jesus. In burst mode it fires so loving quick that it may as well be an instant kill if you click twice at anyone's chest.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Tasoth posted:

-If you really need to deal with a competent pilot in the air, an AA mine and law/smaw works wonders. Most pilots do not expect the AA mine it was poo poo terrible up until recently. They'll fly close, eat the mine's missile and then get disabled. A law or smaw will destroy it immediately.

I have gotten 2 kills (well 3 kills, since one was a double) with the AA mine the past 2 days, along with countless mobility hits. I like to bait choppers and then run back to where my mine is, then shoot all the infantry that bail out when the chopper takes a hit.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

xyigx posted:

Remember, this is a sneaking mission. I suggest the M249 and flash hider. It works like a bug zapper.Joking aside, if being without a rocket launcher feels awful, the ASVAL and PDW-R are both outstanding options. ASVAL is basically a silent shotgun.

If you start flying AH, get hydras and TOWs and try not to hover in place.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 21, 2016

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I'm going through every weapon in the game (I only need to unlock the sniper rifle that needs 50 Marksman ribbons, yay :( ) and is it just me or the M16 AR you unlock (A4?) is a bad weapon? Single shot takes too long, burst is kind of hard to control.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The M16 is pretty decent if you learn how to manage the burst fire instead of relying on automatic.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Azran posted:

So I'm going through every weapon in the game (I only need to unlock the sniper rifle that needs 50 Marksman ribbons, yay :( ) and is it just me or the M16 AR you unlock (A4?) is a bad weapon? Single shot takes too long, burst is kind of hard to control.
I trained myself to get used to it by using it to snipe with a bipod which, when prone and used properly, removes like 75% of recoil but there's enough there that I got a feel for what little there was. That way, when I ditched the bipod and used it like a DMR that wasn't as bad at closer range, I knew more or less what to expect and I did pretty well with it.

The worst thing about it is if you have a fast finger like I do and just spam the trigger, it'll stop firing long enough for the other guy to get like three shots into you and you're dead. Learn to manage your trigger finger and you'll drop bodies.

Speaking of fast trigger fingers, the FiveseveN shoots straighter than the G18, kills in fewer hits, and has much less recoil. A good backup when needed. I'm the type that spamfires my secondary when my primary is empty, and the G18 doesn't have enough range and I don't have enough patience to shoot the Deagle accurately.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 22, 2016

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Azran posted:

You just need some practice, it's pretty good when you get used to it.

Any shotgun is pure fun. I like the UTS for the high amount of shots.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Magnum with laser and 3 x for life. But yeah all the sidearms are really good.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tasoth posted:

-Do not underestimate how effective hipfiring is. Even if you haven't built a gun for it, opening fire first and ADSing if you must is extremely effective. You can also build PDWs for hipfire and just play battlequake 4.

An engineer with hipfire PDW, shorty shotgun, and LAW you aren't choosy about using against infantry is hysterical fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh good, then I'll keep at it. I still have no idea how I will ever get the Marksman ribbons.

Burreeto Burreyeto
Aug 28, 2009

I'm a gay zebra.

Azran posted:

Oh good, then I'll keep at it. I still have no idea how I will ever get the Marksman ribbons.

Be a useless wook on Hainan with a 40x from spawn and kill nerds on top of the hotel.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I think my game decided to go gently caress itself because it's stuck in a "Waiting for Game to Exit" state. I restarted my computer, it's still stuck like that.

EDIT: I type this and it immediately fixes itself.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

The Jumpoff posted:

I think my game decided to go gently caress itself because it's stuck in a "Waiting for Game to Exit" state. I restarted my computer, it's still stuck like that.

You're welcome.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zebrabutt posted:

Be a useless wook on Hainan with a 40x from spawn and kill nerds on top of the hotel.

It depends on the spawn you get but if I was sniping on Hainan from the US side I'd usually go with a 4x scope because the distance is a lot less so its easier to just lock in where you need to aim and I didn't get immediately pinpointed by other, better snipers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What is considered an air attack vehicle? I've blown up a scout helicopter and the attack helicopter and my progress for Death Below hasn't budged an inch

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

What is considered an air attack vehicle? I've blown up a scout helicopter and the attack helicopter and my progress for Death Below hasn't budged an inch

A bunch of dumb questions but just making sure:

Was it with a portable rocket launcher (Stinger, Igla, RPG, etc.)?
Did you get the Vehicle Destroy notification for it?

Otherwise, sometimes poo poo just doesn't register it seems (in my limited experience).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Jumpoff posted:

A bunch of dumb questions but just making sure:

Was it with a portable rocket launcher (Stinger, Igla, RPG, etc.)?
Did you get the Vehicle Destroy notification for it?

Otherwise, sometimes poo poo just doesn't register it seems (in my limited experience).

So it seems its not tracked in real time, the credit was given to me after the match ended (I left the match early because my team was being extremely terribad)

Just need to get a few more guys that don't immediately crash their vehicle to get those AA mines

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

So it seems its not tracked in real time, the credit was given to me after the match ended (I left the match early because my team was being extremely terribad)

Just need to get a few more guys that don't immediately crash their vehicle to get those AA mines

I had success getting mine on Hangar 21. Few ground vehicles to worry about means running Stingers/Igla cripples you less, and if you plant yourself in a good position in the middle of the map you can fire off two stingers before they can get out of range.

Or you get lucky and get in a round with a bunch of dumbass jet pilots who keep going for passes right in your range without letting their countermeasures recharge.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Speaking of fast trigger fingers, the FiveseveN shoots straighter than the G18, kills in fewer hits, and has much less recoil. A good backup when needed. I'm the type that spamfires my secondary when my primary is empty, and the G18 doesn't have enough range and I don't have enough patience to shoot the Deagle accurately.

The G18 is supposed to be used as a sword, walk up to people and click on them to win.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Jumpoff posted:

Usually I just kill the game with the task manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

The Jumpoff posted:

I had success getting mine on Hangar 21. Few ground vehicles to worry about means running Stingers/Igla cripples you less, and if you plant yourself in a good position in the middle of the map you can fire off two stingers before they can get out of range.

Or you get lucky and get in a round with a bunch of dumbass jet pilots who keep going for passes right in your range without letting their countermeasures recharge.

I totally forgot that you could do it with Stinger/IGLA. When I did it, they had been nerfed so badly — I had to do it with RPG and SRAW. Really though, that's how you should do it, son.

• Locked thread