Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

I'm in. Let's buckle up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
My body cannot possibly sustain these kinds of hype levels. I could die before this is over.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's good! Haven't seen Valkyrie on Valkyrie combat in a while, nor do i recall ever having the opposing force have Songs of their own. Plus, i'm a sucker for having my nostalgia buttons pushed.

also:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's too good!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Why is this torrent taking forever.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

It's good! Haven't seen Valkyrie on Valkyrie combat in a while, nor do i recall ever having the opposing force have Songs of their own. Plus, i'm a sucker for having my nostalgia buttons pushed.

They missed SHARON the AI

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

caberham posted:

They missed SHARON the AI

I'm sure the military would prefer to forget that particular incident, other than keeping it in mind that vocaloids can totally take control of everything.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Mikumo is obviously SHARON 2.0, and I for one welcome our new robotic songstress overlords.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mikumo is a post-human entity consisting of pure fabulous.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

She's a protodevlin.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

She's cool as heck!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Fail and you get fired!

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Mikumo is a post-human entity consisting of pure fabulous.

After wondering where she was during the party the answer did not disappoint.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

AfroSquirrel posted:

Mikumo is obviously SHARON 2.0, and I for one welcome our new robotic songstress overlords.

That. I mean, what else would a singing robot AI do while everyone else is having a party?

But yeah. These songs are pretty great at getting you pumped up. Kinda wish there was a balance of other stuff::singing::action that wasn't balanced WAAAAY to the left on that ratio, but hey.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I really hope they're not just going to straight up redo Sheryl's plot beats with Freyja.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For not being the leader of the group Mikumo is pretty drat in charge of the whole thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

trucutru posted:

For not being the leader of the group Mikumo is pretty drat in charge of the whole thing.

It's pretty clear that while Kaname has technical military command of Walkure, Mikumo is the one in charge who everyone defers to, including the actual military leaders. She's the leader.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Allarion posted:

I'm sure the military would prefer to forget that particular incident, other than keeping it in mind that vocaloids can totally take control of everything.

I guess Myung's career went nowhere, or maybe she went to jail.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Freyja has it pretty easy, she didn't even have to sing about carrots.

I'm getting really mad that Macross music is harder and harder to find on youtube nowadays. :mad:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

a kitten posted:

To be fair, Macross II had the other side have songs first, but it's Macross II.

Yes, me too about the nostalgia. Good poo poo. Good Macross episode.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, I've never actually seen any of Macross 2.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Same. It's kinda the big dark spot in my mind in this series. (Macross 7 is the big drunk spot)

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I watched half of it recently, since it's the only Macross I haven't seen. I really don't have any urge to finish it, it didn't seem all that great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i should watch some of the other macross series, i've only really seen super dimension fortress/do you remember love and macross plus before this

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i should watch some of the other macross series, i've only really seen super dimension fortress/do you remember love and macross plus before this

Frontier is pretty fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Macross 2 is alright. It has some neat ideas, but is hamstrung by skimming over the interesting ideas in favor of hitting similar beats as the original series.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So are the Windermere-Ian's an alien species, or some weird humanity offshoot from another colony ship? Some of their stuff from the beginning of this episode reminded me of the :birddrugs: from Macross Zero.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Macross II is on Hulu, and I believe you can watch it without even having a subscription. I could be totally wrong on the second part though. Macross Plus too.

Macross II was extremely my poo poo growing up. The VF-2ss is my favorite Valk. I'm scared to go back and watch it again, because I'm pretty sure it is extremely poo poo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Macross II is on Hulu, and I believe you can watch it without even having a subscription. I could be totally wrong on the second part though. Macross Plus too.

Macross II was extremely my poo poo growing up. The VF-2ss is my favorite Valk. I'm scared to go back and watch it again, because I'm pretty sure it is extremely poo poo.

It's honestly just incredibly average since it gets cold feet and plays it too safe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's like a peek into a mirror world where subsequent Macross entries were like Gundam alternate universe shows

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ManSedan posted:

So are the Windermere-Ian's an alien species, or some weird humanity offshoot from another colony ship? Some of their stuff from the beginning of this episode reminded me of the :birddrugs: from Macross Zero.

While they haven't said, my guess is modified humans just based on how they and, for example, their shortened lifespan have been discussed so far.

Speaking of modified humans, I like that the people of the sea planet have gills.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/724671303953833985?s=09

Every character is so good.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

a kitten posted:

While they haven't said, my guess is modified humans just based on how they and, for example, their shortened lifespan have been discussed so far.

Speaking of modified humans, I like that the people of the sea planet have gills.

I don't think either of those are modified humans, I think they're both just the native species of other Protoculture seeded worlds. Like the marsupial people first seen in Dynamite 7.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

ManSedan posted:

A combo of both maybe? In the preview episode there is map of the Milky Way where there are several immigration fleets leaving Earth. One of it is the Windermere fleet that found and settled on Planet Windermere.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That could very well be the case, after posting that I realized that I've forgotten anything I knew about both the spread of humans and any other protoculture races.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Txiuct posted:

A combo of both maybe? In the preview episode there is map of the Milky Way where there are several immigration fleets leaving Earth. One of it is the Windermere fleet that found and settled on Planet Windermere.

Really? in their declaration of war the guy called the people he was addressing "children of the protoculture", which implies he doesn't consider himself part of that group.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

My god I didn't notice.

I need to rewatch, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

'Alien' and 'human' are slightly complex terms in Macross. Basically, there was an ancient humanoid civilisation called the 'protoculture' who colonised the galaxy many thousands of years ago. Through genetic engineering, they created a number of offshoots of their own species, including the giant Zentraedi and modern humanity (which is why the two races can interbreed). The Windermereans and the dudes with the gills are probably other protoculture remnants, or the result of humans interbreeding with the same. After the events of the original TV series, we were in desperate need of repopulation, so we kind of went out into the galaxy dicks-first, see.

And then there's the Vajra from Frontier, who aren't humanoid in the slightest, and are even older than the protoculture, but are pretty decent sorts once you get to know them (or, to be more accurate, a pretty decent sort - they're a galaxy-spanning hivemind). It's unknown whether anyone's tried to have sex with them, but it's probably only a matter of time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Macross Delta: Yeah, I'd gently caress It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just remember this: if it's bad, it's probably the Protoculture's fault.

• Locked thread