Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

When and why did websites start having popups that explain that they use cookies as if that's not standard or okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

When and why did websites start having popups that explain that they use cookies as if that's not standard or okay?

There was some law passed by people who don't understand the internet, want to protect people's privacy, and heard that cookies have something to do with tracking people and privacy and stuff. So now websites that want to operate in that jurisdiction (the EU, I think) have to let you know that they use cookies.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Seems like a few years ago anyone (who is not a pro) building their own website used wordpress. A few years later and I need a new site - seems like the de facto advice today is squarespace. Anything else I should be considering? Nothing incredibly custom, just a site for my business (and a separate one for my nonprofit).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to buy a thingy to attach my bicycle to so I can use it for indoor exercise while it's too hot to go outside. What the hell are said thingies called? I'm having a brainfart moment :saddowns:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I want to buy a thingy to attach my bicycle to so I can use it for indoor exercise while it's too hot to go outside. What the hell are said thingies called? I'm having a brainfart moment :saddowns:

Resistance trainer is likely what you are talking about. If you want to improve your form and balance you want rollers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

Looks like they're called "indoor bicycle trainer" like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...E15KJFBKN1G8HQR

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Also buy a cheap tire or full wheel because trainers are hell on tires.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks. For some reason I was just farting out hard on the right words to use

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Also buy a cheap tire or full wheel because trainers are hell on tires.

Really? I would expect it t o be the opposite, what with no pressure/friction from bad roads or whatever

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 25, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. For some reason I was just farting out hard on the right words to use

Really? I would expect it t o be the opposite, what with no pressure/friction from bad roads or whatever

They provide the friction by rubbing hard against the wheel you attach to. Usually this means your front wheel has no wear, and the back wheel gets a ton.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ciaphas posted:

I would expect it t o be the opposite, what with no pressure/friction from bad roads or whatever

Metal grips rubber more than asphalt ever will so the trainer's roller will eat the tire up. I haven't spent any time with trainer tires but I'd wager they're made of a stiffer compound than you'd want on the road.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Metal grips rubber more than asphalt ever will so the trainer's roller will eat the tire up. I haven't spent any time with trainer tires but I'd wager they're made of a stiffer compound than you'd want on the road.

They are often solid tires because of course they are.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

photomikey posted:

Seems like a few years ago anyone (who is not a pro) building their own website used wordpress. A few years later and I need a new site - seems like the de facto advice today is squarespace. Anything else I should be considering? Nothing incredibly custom, just a site for my business (and a separate one for my nonprofit).

Is this the case? Isn't SquareSpace a hosting solution, rather then a web-site building thing?

I am asking because someone doing something for me is taking forever to get a WordPress thing going right, and I keep wondering why they don't just use more of a prebuilt solution, but they said something something hosting.

I know nothing, I just want the website functional.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pupdive posted:

Is this the case? Isn't SquareSpace a hosting solution, rather then a web-site building thing?

It's a combined service of both, although if you want just hosting they'll sell you that too.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is there a way to mute individual programs in Mac OSX?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
OSX doesn't do it natively. There was a program called "Audio Hijack" that would do it, but it never worked very well. It's been a long time, and I don't stick with stuff that doesn't work right, so I gave up after a couple days - and now I don't remember what didn't work very well - but I do remember that it was basically unusable.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The Autocorrect on my iPhone steadfastly refuses to learn a particular spelling. I have rejected the suggestion a couple hundred times now, if not more. I live in Japan, and the honorific "san" always gets "corrected" to the capitalized version (which I don't want to type out, lest I somehow tell iOS that it's an acceptable variant).

Am I just boned and I will have to reject Autocorrect's "correction" every time I type this incredibly common word for the rest of my iOS life? Is there a super-secret setting somewhere that I just haven't found? Every other word I've ever had to teach iOS took 3-20 rejections; this one is etched into the drat silicon or something.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

It's a combined service of both, although if you want just hosting they'll sell you that too.

So is SquareSpace recommended? (I am not the guy, and I know nothing at all about anything, I just want the site done.)

Important thing: the site needs to be mobile and multilingual friendly though it seems like is not something that even needs to be said.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've used it to make a few websites, they turned out great on mobile. No idea what makes a good multilingual website good.

If you listen to literally any podcast you'll probably get a discount code for using it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

pupdive posted:

So is SquareSpace recommended? (I am not the guy, and I know nothing at all about anything, I just want the site done.)

Important thing: the site needs to be mobile and multilingual friendly though it seems like is not something that even needs to be said.

As a person who makes websites for a living (many of them on WordPress at that), I would recommend Squarespace unless you have a significant budget and want to hire a web designer OR are savvy enough to make and maintain your own WordPress site. If you've worked with WordPress before, you could say Squarespace is similar in a lot of ways except that they handle all the setup and will actually provide support if something breaks. The only downsides are that you're limited to their set of templates (unless you hire a designer/developer) and plugins. Comparatively WordPress can do way, way more, but is far more complicated to set up and maintain. If you "just want the site done now," Squarespace is probably your best bet.

Multilingual support is something you'll have to look into, however. I'm not sure what Squarespace offers in that regard.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pupdive posted:

It's really great for people who just want to make and host a site. It wouldn't be good for something that needs to serve like a million people a day, but it doesn't sound like that's the situation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's an expression for a TV show/movie/artwork that propelled somebody to stardom? I was thinking "claim to fame" but that suggests the work in question is the only reason for said person's popularity, which isn't what I'm looking for.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Vegetable posted:

What's an expression for a TV show/movie/artwork that propelled somebody to stardom? I was thinking "claim to fame" but that suggests the work in question is the only reason for said person's popularity, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Turning point in their career

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Vegetable posted:

Big break.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Vegetable posted:

Breakout role.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Springboard

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

sex tape

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a secure video calling app that works between Android and iOS? WhatsApp is fine for messages and calling but it doesn't do video calls and my searches haven't turned up any secure apps that do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
How hard would it be to make a bookmark (or something similar) in Chrome that took the current page and added a proxy to the end of the main URL? For example, if I had the website

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/articlename

and wanted to make it

http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy.lib.schoolname.edu/science/article/pii/articlename

is there a single-click way I could do that?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Google Hangouts works on both Android and iOS. Skype should work with both. I'm not sure what "secure" means to you, so I can't elaborate on that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Memento posted:

How hard would it be to make a bookmark (or something similar) in Chrome that took the current page and added a proxy to the end of the main URL? For example, if I had the website

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/articlename

and wanted to make it

http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy.lib.schoolname.edu/science/article/pii/articlename

is there a single-click way I could do that?
I'm using an addon called Redirector on Firefox and it looks a lot like this thing with the same name for Chrome.

Looking at the syntax, I think you might want to replace ^http://www.sciencedirect.com/(.*) with ^http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy.lib.schoolname.edu/$1 but it's been a while since I brushed up on my RegEx.

Note that you won't be able to visit the site without going through the proxy anymore as long as the extension is active. I don't know if that matters to you.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 26, 2016

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Can an organization pay people to vote in the US? Not vote for someone, just like hey if you go and vote in general we'll give you $10.

There doesn't seem like anything specifically wrong with this but I can also see how it could be abused fairly easily.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

turbomoose posted:

Can an organization pay people to vote in the US? Not vote for someone, just like hey if you go and vote in general we'll give you $10.

There doesn't seem like anything specifically wrong with this but I can also see how it could be abused fairly easily.

It is definitely illegal to be paid to vote for a Federal position. However, it may be legal to be paid to vote for state or county or local level elections in some states and some sections of states. You might also consider how some businesses will give you something for free if you have the local area's "i voted" stickers to count as being paid to vote, and that seems to be legal all over.

Separately, some states/localities encourage employers to pay employees for time they spent voting, regardless if they actually took time off work for it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

It is definitely illegal to be paid to vote for a Federal position. However, it may be legal to be paid to vote for state or county or local level elections in some states and some sections of states. You might also consider how some businesses will give you something for free if you have the local area's "i voted" stickers to count as being paid to vote, and that seems to be legal all over.

Separately, some states/localities encourage employers to pay employees for time they spent voting, regardless if they actually took time off work for it.

Several states require employers to give their employees leave to vote, given certain conditions about poll times and working hours are met.

Don't let your boss suppress your vote, folks.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
If you are fat and get a tattoo, then lost a lot of weight, what would the tattoo look like?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

photomikey posted:

Google Hangouts works on both Android and iOS. Skype should work with both. I'm not sure what "secure" means to you, so I can't elaborate on that.

Neither of those are encrypted end to end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Robokomodo posted:

If you are fat and get a tattoo, then lost a lot of weight, what would the tattoo look like?

Just a lot smaller if you're lucky and it's in a good spot, like a deflated party balloon if you aren't and it isn't.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Sometimes when I try and click on a post on tumblr, it refuses to let me go to the blog and insists on opening it on my dashboard

i.e. I want to go to http://candy803.tumblr.com/post/142787060669 but tumblr keeps sending me to https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/candy803/142787060669 no matter what I do.

Is this some problem on my end? Am I missing something really obvious?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
As a non-tumblr user that first link redirects me to a login page too, so I guess whoever only wants authenticated users to look at that page? I don't really know how tumblr works.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

For whatever reason tumblr wants some (all?) blogs to open up in their stupid side-bar on the dashboard. I'm logged in and it's redirecting to the tumblr dashboard and opening the post (dog??) in the awful sidebar instead of a regular blog.

Dunno what the fix it, but its probably blog dependent, or just tumblr incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Tumblr is getting in the way of me sharing stupid dog posts! I guess a further question of mine is whether the fact that this will only open on the dashboard is because of something that particular user has set or whether it's just tumblr being hosed up? I would like to just scroll through this persons blog to see if they have other good dog pics but I can't for some reason.