Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

What, so Windermere is just an earth colony with pretensions of being more? Though I guess that explains why they use valkyries.

Look at the time scale. The Macross launched in 2010 or so it's been less than 60 years since all this poo poo started. Minmay & Co are probably still alive. That's is not enough time for an earth colony to arrive there, start some knight bullshit, and develop some hair super-powers. They are just another kind of alien nerds who saw the planes and said "me too".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

trucutru posted:

Look at the time scale. The Macross launched in 2010 or so it's been less than 60 years since all this poo poo started. Minmay & Co are probably still alive. That's is not enough time for an earth colony to arrive there, start some knight bullshit, and develop some hair super-powers. They are just another kind of alien nerds who say the planes and said "me too".

The entire Macross history seems way too compressed. The planets we've seen in Delta are established societies with well-integrated alien populations, and it's been maybe one or two generations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It does require some suspension of disbelief.

So, what, smooth planetary integration is a no-go but self-contained, thought-activated, cold-exhaust, steerable skirt rockets are A-okay?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Technology changes much faster than people. The tech of the '50s barely hinted at what we have today, the pace of change is accelerating, and we don't even have aliens to steal from.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If something doesn't make since in Macross just assume it was accomplished due to the power of music and move on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Or it's the Protoculture's fault as usual.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 26, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Personally, I draw the line right at Skirt Rockets.

Rocket Skirts.

They're very cute though.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I love how no one questions the Aerial Knights' magic smoke that forms into the Windermere coat-of-arms.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Their frilly costumes are loaded with state of the art technology.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RangerKarl posted:

I love how no one questions the Aerial Knights' magic smoke that forms into the Windermere coat-of-arms.

Holographic projection tech in this setting is pretty badass. That's actually one of the milder applications.

Those fancy costumes the idols are wearing, for instance? They're not real, they're holographic projections over skin-tight bodysuits (and presumably personal jetpacks as well). Sheryl pioneered the technique in Macross Frontier. Unlimited costumes for a minimal budget with zero chance of wardrobe malfunctions on even the strangest, least practical outfits.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Darth Walrus posted:

Holographic projection tech in this setting is pretty badass. That's actually one of the milder applications.

Those fancy costumes the idols are wearing, for instance? They're not real, they're holographic projections over skin-tight bodysuits (and presumably personal jetpacks butt-skirt rockets as well). Sheryl pioneered the technique in Macross Frontier. Unlimited costumes for a minimal budget with zero chance of wardrobe malfunctions on even the strangest, least practical outfits.

E: it is a very intriguing use of the technology to do the outfits to such a degree.

And yeah, the smoke projection is actually one of the more believable bits of tech there.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting they have straight up holographic displays for everything. Just shy of every input device being a Mass Effect-style holokeyboard.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

the one thing that really doesn't make sense in Macross is all the humans. In the first show the entire earth was carpet bombed, they mention that the only survivors were the 40 thousand people aboard the macross and the handful of people on earth who happened to not get hit. Despite this, all the fleets we see from 7 and onward are mentioned to have millions of inhabitants and Zentraedi are always shown to be a minority.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One of the later episodes of SDF talks about how they used Zentraedi/Protoculture tech to massively clone/create a new population IIRC.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

One of the later episodes of SDF talks about how they used Zentraedi/Protoculture tech to massively clone/create a new population IIRC.

I completely forgot about that, complaint withdrawn.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like the idea there's a giant industrial gene sequencer just printing out randomised humans by the truckspaceshipload.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Nate RFB posted:

I thought that was something Robotech made up/brought to the table. I could be wrong though. It still makes sense either way.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Mogomra posted:

I thought that was something Robotech made up/brought to the table. I could be wrong though. It still makes sense either way.

nope, it's Macross canon (heh) as well IIRC. Convenient excuse to wave off complaints about copy pasting in crowd scenes too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Well they sure as poo poo don't call it "Miclone Techonology" because it's a bad translation!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, lots of boldly coming where no human has come before.

For reals, it's amazing humanity hasn't been wiped out by some sort of nightmarish Protoculture venereal disease by now.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, lots of boldly coming where no human has come before.

For reals, it's amazing humanity hasn't been wiped out by some sort of nightmarish Protoculture venereal disease by now.

there's probably a doujin story somewhere where they cured it via song and dance because it was actually sentient or whatever.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

RangerKarl posted:

there's probably a doujin story somewhere where they cured it via song and dance because it was actually sentient or whatever.

That's this show though?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

the one thing that really doesn't make sense in Macross is all the humans. In the first show the entire earth was carpet bombed, they mention that the only survivors were the 40 thousand people aboard the macross and the handful of people on earth who happened to not get hit. Despite this, all the fleets we see from 7 and onward are mentioned to have millions of inhabitants and Zentraedi are always shown to be a minority.

Biological Fold Waves Barry White. or BFWBW.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

Those fancy costumes the idols are wearing, for instance? They're not real, they're holographic projections over skin-tight bodysuits (and presumably personal jetpacks as well). Sheryl pioneered the technique in Macross Frontier. Unlimited costumes for a minimal budget with zero chance of wardrobe malfunctions on even the strangest, least practical outfits.

The holographic tech has to be even better than that, because in episode 3 Walkure put a costume on Freyja and she can't have been wearing a skin tight bodysuit since she thought she failed. Which means it's so small and ubiquitous that it's everywhere and they just networked her outfit to change it or something. Which is insane. Not unexpected though I suppose since this is a setting where even a moderately successful family like Chuck's can have a holographic tv and treat it like nothing, where a dance studio can have all the walls, the ceiling and the floor hooked up as a virtual space and where pilots can holographically disguise their pilot suit so as to appear to not be wearing a helmet if they wish.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm pretty sure the big deal is that he refuses to actually wear a helmet, hence the "hit this button when poo poo goes down and it'll put your helmet on, you twat," system in his plane.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well I was speaking of the Aerial Knights, who appear to have helmets, but disguise them with holographic technology. Hayate has his own issues though yea, and Reina's demo was cute.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh, I thought they didn't wear helmets because they were 2cool4school

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Similar to that one plane in Macross F, you can see in the opening their cockpits get hologrammed over to look more fancy, including removing their helmets.

Have to look pretty while fighting

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Demicol posted:

Similar to that one plane in Macross F, you can see in the opening their cockpits get hologrammed over to look more fancy, including removing their helmets.

Have to look pretty while fighting

I wouldn't be surprised if it's so the rest of their squadron can see their runes. Those seem to be of some significance to Windermereans.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I had thought it was just an animation conceit so we could see the characters. I didn't realize that was supposed to be actual holographic happenenings.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
To be honest, I ... don't pay attention to the intro.

There's a hand going "whoooosh" and then I do something else until the music cuts. The music is quite good though, I can say that.

I should probably pay attention.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm pretty sure the Windermere valkyries don't have externally visible cockpits at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kylra posted:

I'm pretty sure the Windermere valkyries don't have externally visible cockpits at all.

They do, they're just opaque. Again, Macross holographic tech is a hell of a thing.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Darth Walrus posted:

They do, they're just opaque. Again, Macross holographic tech is a hell of a thing.

You can't see the actual pit though is what I meant.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

To be fair, Eureka 7 did the same thing with the cockpits on the LFOs.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to add to the Macross grognarding but wasn't the Sv designation used in Zero? The Sv-51 was the primary antagonist variable fighter, and it was awesome. Maybe the Windermereans are some offshoot of the other side of the UN/anti-UN war?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think anyone has suggested that they independently came up with rad transforming fighter jets. We don't know what happened on that planet, but for all that they violently rejected all foreign culture they seem to like foreign weapons pretty well.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Seems to me like the Windermereans are probably stealing their technology. There might be a spy in Walkure feeding them information about their fold wave amps and who knows what else.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think that older vf models are such a closely guarded secret, and there was a colony ship that went straight to windermere. They might even have a macross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Valkyries are so ubiquitous that civilians in Macross 30 putter around in repro VF-1s as if they were subcompact cars. Various Anti-UN factions have had VF tech, it's not seen as unusual at all.

• Locked thread