Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Scrublord Prime posted:

The old SNES Mode 7 horror hockey game Stanley Cup had an easy way to score: Just get the puck and head towards the other team's net head on. Around the blue line just do the shot that flicks it up in the air and the other team's goalie will motor out of his net and the puck will soar overhead into an empty net.

Here's a lovely phonecam video of it in action.

I remember scoring a poo poo ton of goals in that game by just trapping the puck with the goalie and hitting slap shot, it would usually go in a big arc right into the opposing goalie, who would only make a save about half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In Disgaea: Hour of Darkness one of the ways they gate content off from you is with a thing called the Dark Assembly; it's a demonic senate that you have to use to pass bills to unlock high-level areas, better equipment in the store, etc. by bribing high-ranking members of senate, gaining infamy in story mode, or being strong enough to kill senators who opposes you until the demons who support you make up the majority of the senate.

However, one of the big gameplay systems is the ability to pick up and throw both party members and monsters alike. In fact, if you pick up one monster and throw it into another the monster with the higher level will absorb the weaker monster and level up to the combination of both their levels.

So if you aren't far enough in the game to pass a law by voting, you can just pick up Dark Assembly monsters who voted against you and throw them into your supporters, adding the negative votes to your supporters.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

IIRC, in Morrowind you could enchant a weapon with paralysis for 2 seconds. As long as you could press the attack button once every two seconds, everything in the game died to that. That game was more about finding ways to break things than winning.

e: Also, buying/reselling poo poo to the talking mudcrab (the only NPC in the game that would buy/sell stuff at cost) until its inventory got so huge the game crashed.

ee: Not really broken, I guess, but in any of the Elder Scrolls games if you get your speed to 100+ you can just run through a dungeon, grab whatever items you need, and never have to kill anything.

eee: In FFXII, I don't remember the exact process you had to follow but you could pretty much chain quickenings together until you one-shotted anything.

RNG has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Apr 26, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Or you could get it from your first sigil stone and use the very easy dupe bug to have infinite 35% chameleon sigil stones.

If you hold off doing Daedric portals until you're level 20, sure. Sigil stones, like everything else, is scaled into uselessness at the game's start. I could've sworn you had to use them to reach 100% chameleon, but obviously I wasn't remembering it right.

In Morrowind you can steal yourself a full set of ebony armour (second best non-unique heavy armour) if you buy a cheap invisibility trinket. You can usually find one in one of the game's many pawn shops that sell lovely, cheap enchanted items if you haven't got one as random loot. You have to make your way to ghostgate, which is a little out of the way, but there's temple stuff you can do there. Go to the underground storage room, turn invisible, steal a key right in front of a guard. Unlock a door and systematically steal all the ebony pieces off a table right next to another guard. The mysterious stranger who keeps vanishing right before bits of valuable armour also vanish doesn't bother him.

To join the temple faction you have to do seven pilgrimages in various places on the island, all of which give you some long lasting buff. One the easiest is in Vivec, right near where you join the temple. There's a shrine that gives you a powerful levitation effect for at least one in-game day, and all you have to do is use a levitation potion on it. There's a vendor that sells the shittiest levitation potions right near it. As long as you have reliable ranged damage (or just a bunch of scrolls/items) you can get at least one bit of unique heavy armour, a full set of orcish armour and Umbra, a really good 2 handed sword.

It's not on the same level as turning yourself into a god through alchemical feedback loops, but I love how readily Morrowind awards kleptomania. If you do want to be a potion god, there's even a set of the best or second best alchemical equipment you can steal from the Caldera mages guild, accessible through fast travel from the beginning of the game.

RNG posted:

e: Also, buying/reselling poo poo to the talking mudcrab (the only NPC in the game that would buy/sell stuff at cost) until its inventory got so huge the game crashed.

You had Creeper in Caldera that would do the same, but he had half as much gold.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Gitro posted:

You had Creeper in Caldera that would do the same, but he had half as much gold.

Yep, forgot about him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Akuma in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. They nerfed him a bit from his secret boss level, but nowhere near enough.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BuddyChrist posted:

FFVIII was a game that was fairly universally derided. The magic junction system doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and the story (especially late game) was atrocious.

The junction system worked like this: You collect magic by drawing spells from the enemy (draw command pulls a few uses of a spell from an enemy) until you are full (99), then you pair that spell with a stat to increase that stat. Use of the spells will just weaken your stats. Enemies level with you (and their magic gets better) but there is almost no increase in your stats from leveling.

So I found a FAQ that outlined a strategy, it went like this: Don't gain a single level for the first half of the game. It's actually easier then it sounds. Almost every battle can be run from and boss battles don't actually give experience. Late in the game you get abilites that give you bonuses to stats when you level so if you wait to level until this point you can maximize your stats.

Early on in the game you get another character who leaves your party at the end of the opening. You take this time to kill off your normal characters, then you level this extra guy until he's able to get high level magic from the enemies, then draw magic and transfer it to the dead guys to give them high level stats. This was how you're able to do well for about half the game until you get Bahamut (I think) and can then start buffing stats.

It took a game that I probably would have gotten bored with and made it into something I enjoyed.

I liked FF8. :smithcloud:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Gitro posted:

If you hold off doing Daedric portals until you're level 20, sure. Sigil stones, like everything else, is scaled into uselessness at the game's start. I could've sworn you had to use them to reach 100% chameleon, but obviously I wasn't remembering it right.

You can have five pieces of armor, two rings, and an amulet. With Frostcrag installed or all seven of the Mages Guild recommendations done, get a handful of common soul gems, kill a few bears, turn on the Shadow Stone (a giant rock that gives you the effect for free), and pay 7,000-9,000 gold, and you're done. If you're a necromancer, you don't even need to wait for the bears to start spawning; just grab five black soul gems and kill a few bandits. You do need Soul Trap, which takes 25 Mysticism (around three levels' worth, depending on your build; you can grind it in about 10 minutes) or a weapon with Soul Trap already on it (probably not happening that early). The hardest part is the gold, but only if you're not using the dupe bug.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You could break Dragon Age Inquisition on release in a couple of ways, but the way I did it was with the Knight-Enchanter specialty of the Mage class (which unfortunately was somewhat nerfed later on).

Something to note is that in DAI, you have a health bar, but ideally it doesn't get hit. Instead, warrior classes gain temporary HP as 'armor' and are meant to pull aggro, and mages are meant to cast barriers that also function as temporary HP. Rogues need to rely on the other classes, or just git gud and dodge, or stay at range.

Knight-Enchanter has the following abilities which all combine for a storm of bullshit.
Spirit Blade, their main ability, is a no-cooldown, almost no mana-using ability that can be comboed. It's basically swinging a magical greatsword around for huge damage. Oh, and it does double damage on enemy barriers and armor. Oh, and it can also be upgraded to
Combat Clarity gives bonus mana regeneration if near an enemy, meaning you can safely hold down the Spirit Blade button most of the time.
Fade Shield is the key to the bullshit and gives you shields equal to 30% damage dealt. So with every swing of the Spirit Blade, you're making yourself impossible to damage.

That by itself might be considered bullshit but we haven't even gotten up to the additional bits.
Fade Cloak is a 12-second cooldown ability that makes you invincible and able to pass through enemies. It can be upgraded to explode when you decloak for ridiculous damage - which feeds into Fade Shield.
Veiled Riposte is a passive ability that damages enemies for 20% of the damage they would do if they hit you while you have a barrier up. Which you always do because you're either spamming Spirit Blade or have recently exploded a Fade Cloak.

And the final little cherry on top, not from the Knight-Enchanter tree, but the Inferno tree?
Clean Burn, a passive ability. Whenever you cast a spell, all your cooldowns drop by 1. Reminder that Spirit Blade counts as a spell, and you are casting it nigh-constantly.

Whenever you are in the slightest bit of danger or might be running out of mana, or just want that extra damage, you Fade Cloak, wait a little bit around enemies, and you're back in. Invincible.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

dpbjinc posted:

You can have five pieces of armor, two rings, and an amulet. With Frostcrag installed or all seven of the Mages Guild recommendations done, get a handful of common soul gems, kill a few bears, turn on the Shadow Stone (a giant rock that gives you the effect for free), and pay 7,000-9,000 gold, and you're done. If you're a necromancer, you don't even need to wait for the bears to start spawning; just grab five black soul gems and kill a few bandits. You do need Soul Trap, which takes 25 Mysticism (around three levels' worth, depending on your build; you can grind it in about 10 minutes) or a weapon with Soul Trap already on it (probably not happening that early). The hardest part is the gold, but only if you're not using the dupe bug.

You can get CE enchantments without grand souls?

Man, I really don't remember Oblivion that well.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Toadstrieb posted:

It may or may not be broken poo poo, since it doesn't involve an actual glitch, but there's a spell in Dark Souls 1 that makes you basically invincible for 15 seconds, and that has 4 casts. As a pyromancer in Havel's armor, you can basically kill any boss standing stock still.

I was and am terrible at DS, beat it this way, and hate myself for it.

As others have said they nerfed the hell out of iron flesh. But we got this humorous video out about it of the deal, so that's cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdcKGWmZMs

The actual best thing in the game before patching was the crystal ring shield. It has a special attack instead of parry/shield bash, and for some weird reason it scaled in some insane way with the weapon in your right hand, maybe four times the damage of the right hand weapon? Someone said they killed Seth in one hit while pairing it with the black knight greataxe (which got nerfed too I think).

They definitely fixed a lot of things though, originally weapon scaling was almost entirely useless.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, the crystal ring shield was broken as gently caress before they nerfed it. I did most of my first playthrough using that almost exclusively, it just murdered everything.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
With Oblivion just mash the use key as fast as you loving can at the stone to destabilize a realm. You'll usually get 3-4 extra gems at least.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Fools Infinite posted:

The actual best thing in the game before patching was the crystal ring shield. It has a special attack instead of parry/shield bash, and for some weird reason it scaled in some insane way with the weapon in your right hand, maybe four times the damage of the right hand weapon? Someone said they killed Seth in one hit while pairing it with the black knight greataxe (which got nerfed too I think).

They definitely fixed a lot of things though, originally weapon scaling was almost entirely useless.

Dusk's skirt (her outfit's a wedding dress) was the best leg armour in the game. It hit I think 90 in every defense, but its weight was normal. Pre-patch DS1 was fun in so many dumb ways.

IIRC the big change to scaling was bumping up the letter grades on almost everything, especially when upgraded. There were a handful of things that naturally hit A or S but not many.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RNG posted:

eee: In FFXII, I don't remember the exact process you had to follow but you could pretty much chain quickenings together until you one-shotted anything.

That's Quickenings by design. They didn't get too far, capping at somewhere like 40 or 50k damage, and while that chumps a lot of the mid-game eventually your MP is better used for healing spells as stabbing things goes much further.

Quickenings level off because the only stat they use is strength, and their damage is a random number between 1 and the quickening's power (90, 140, 230 by level) times a random number between 1 and the user's strength. Vaan at level 20 has 33 strength, so each quickening would on average deal 742, 1,155, or 1,897 damage, which accumulates fast against opponents around that level - Belias is a level 20 boss and has 15,943 HP. By level 50 Vaan's strength is, well, also 50. His quickenings would deal 1,125, 1,750, and 2,785 each. It seems like a fair increase, but enemy HP has gone nuts. Hashmal, at level 50, has 209,060 HP. Basically, quickening damage scales linearly while boss HP rises at a much faster rate.

The act of stabbing with a sword goes much better as the game goes on as attack stats crest way above enemy defense (Vaan would have a net 20 or so against Belias but closer to a net 60 at Hashmal) and the formula involves strength and level as well, with more quadratic scaling.

There is a point with Quickenings where they do chump a lot of stuff, but their damage doesn't go up fast enough to keep up as anything but finishing moves for the last chunk of HP.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Saints Row IV had a superpower element in one of the DLCs called "Explosion," which was an explosion that caused people nearby to explode as well. Those people would trigger their own round of explosions, and so on and so forth. If you had that element equipped, you would light off a self-sustaining chain reaction of exploding enemies and civilians that could clear a flashpoint in one shot.

Yeah, it broke the game a little bit, and of course by now it's almost harder get SR4 without all the DLC than with it included.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dark Souls Black Knight Weapons are all broken as hell, but my favorite one is the Black Knight Halberd. It does a decent amount of damage and you can get it very, very early if you use the Master Key to run backwards through an area that normally takes a while to reach, and it can then be used in another area right nearby to kill a boss (Queelag) by stunlocking her. She's a spider monster that has a woman's body on the "head", kinda like a centaur, and any damage dealt to the body will interrupt her. The halberd has juuuust enough reach to attack her repeatedly, so you can bum rush through her to get that portion of the game done.

Right after her is a very short walk to another boss, Ceaseless Discharge, who has an explicit "easy kill" option which means you can take him out for his souls as well. This will be more than enough to power level an early character for the other half of the first part of the game.

It all depends on the RNG having the knight in the forest dropping his halberd, of course, but with it you can just breeze through to the Lord Vessal with zero issue. It's the only way I play the game now, it's too easy to pass up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Instant Sunrise posted:

Saints Row IV had a superpower element in one of the DLCs called "Explosion," which was an explosion that caused people nearby to explode as well. Those people would trigger their own round of explosions, and so on and so forth. If you had that element equipped, you would light off a self-sustaining chain reaction of exploding enemies and civilians that could clear a flashpoint in one shot.

Yeah, it broke the game a little bit, and of course by now it's almost harder get SR4 without all the DLC than with it included.

SR4 without DLC is free foir Xbox live members until the end of this month.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Rocket League came out with it's new free DLC today. Hoops mode.
And you can stick all the silly mutators on it too like Cube or Puck, just don't pick an extra large ball
https://giant.gfycat.com/EnviousVillainousGerenuk.webm

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Croccers posted:

Rocket League came out with it's new free DLC today. Hoops mode.
And you can stick all the silly mutators on it too like Cube or Puck, just don't pick an extra large ball
https://giant.gfycat.com/EnviousVillainousGerenuk.webm

Outstanding.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pope Guilty posted:

Where are people even getting enough crafting mats to level smithing at low levels in Skyrim? I'm always short until level 10 or so.
They're not. People always massively exaggerate how easy that was to do; unless you really go out of your way, smithing is actually quite slow to level, particularly after the patch that tied the skill gain to the cost of the item produced. (Before that, you could level it relatively easily specifically by churning out a million iron daggers.)

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

thecluckmeme posted:

It all depends on the RNG having the knight in the forest dropping his halberd, of course, but with it you can just breeze through to the Lord Vessal with zero issue. It's the only way I play the game now, it's too easy to pass up.

I always prefer cheesing through to Anor Londo off the Gravelord covenant sword since it doesn't need the RNG on the halberd.

That being said, saying you can breeze through to the Lord Vessel with zero issue seems wrong, as I don't think it's ever appropriate to include O&S as something that can be "zero issue".

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Strudel Man posted:

They're not. People always massively exaggerate how easy that was to do; unless you really go out of your way, smithing is actually quite slow to level, particularly after the patch that tied the skill gain to the cost of the item produced. (Before that, you could level it relatively easily specifically by churning out a million iron daggers.)

So those 30 smithing levels I gained in as many minutes by making jewellery weren't real then? Like I said, if you hit up the mine with the Transmute spell and the iron ore you can level up fast.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
30 boring minutes for 30 points is fine. If you want to break the game by not having fun.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Scrublord Prime posted:

The old SNES Mode 7 horror hockey game Stanley Cup had an easy way to score: Just get the puck and head towards the other team's net head on. Around the blue line just do the shot that flicks it up in the air and the other team's goalie will motor out of his net and the puck will soar overhead into an empty net.
Sega's Genesis NHL games basically gave you a free goal if you went towards one side of the net and shot it at the other side.

NFL 95 had a bug in 2-player coop where the second player could hit C to dive downfield before the ball had been snapped and wouldn't be called offsides. Even better, if they dove into an opposing player, the opposing team would have an encroachment penalty called against them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Bosses in platformers usually had a spot where you couldn't take damage. We called it a "safety spot" or occasionally as "safe zone". Real life doesn't have safe zones. That's why video games are broken.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In NHLPA 93 if you did a wraparound about 3/4 of the time the goalie became stuck on the post leaving the whole net open.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
In Dark Souls most weapons are decent enough to work with and running straight to blight town you can get a bunch of free soul items, titanite, kill mildred, then warp back to upgrade your weapon, gain a bunch of levels, and be ready to take on queelag without too much hassle. Not quick, but you can also grind out +10 weapon (or +4 enchanted weapon) after only fighting the capra demon. Some levels in vitality and that's about all you need.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phthisis posted:

I always prefer cheesing through to Anor Londo off the Gravelord covenant sword since it doesn't need the RNG on the halberd.

That being said, saying you can breeze through to the Lord Vessel with zero issue seems wrong, as I don't think it's ever appropriate to include O&S as something that can be "zero issue".
Straight sorcery builds only have two difficult spots: Capra Demon and Duke's Archives. They walk all over Ornstein and Smough.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

In Mutant League Football for the NES you would win if you killed almost all the other team's players. Just let them score a touchdown and tackle someone by jumping offsides during the extra point. Eventually they splat and get replaced. If you want to not entirely cheese an entire game you can just kill enough of their guys so they only have like 5 players on the field for the rest of the game.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I once watched a roommate beat all of oblivion at level 2.

Turns out that with the auto-leveling system, every boss and MOB are easily defeated if you don't have any level upgrades, which means they have no upgrades either.

The only reason you can't beat the game at level 1 is there's a main quest that requires you to level up early in the game. Literally the best thing you can do in the game is just never improve, never level, and never sleep.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

malal posted:

I once watched a roommate beat all of oblivion at level 2.

Turns out that with the auto-leveling system, every boss and MOB are easily defeated if you don't have any level upgrades, which means they have no upgrades either.

The only reason you can't beat the game at level 1 is there's a main quest that requires you to level up early in the game. Literally the best thing you can do in the game is just never improve, never level, and never sleep.

All Bethesda games with auto-levelling suffer with that to different degrees. The enemies gain more HP than you gain in increased damage so at higher levels combat becomes more of a slog.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Shbobdb posted:

30 boring minutes for 30 points is fine. If you want to break the game by not having fun.

Most of that was spent wandering around and exploring while casting Transmute. Actual crafting takes like... less than a minute.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Marenghi posted:

All Bethesda games with auto-levelling suffer with that to different degrees. The enemies gain more HP than you gain in increased damage so at higher levels combat becomes more of a slog.

That's probably the biggest thing I couldn't stand with that style of RPG: leveling essentially makes the game's difficulty feel like a treadmill that increases the incline the farther you go.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There's a good way and a bad way to do level scaling. The bad way is the easy way, everything scales to your level period. It leads to the treadmill effect you're talking about. The other way is to design each area to have a range of levels that they can scale through so different areas can have different difficulties but not burn out right when you get past the initial difficulty hump.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Deus Ex has some big game-breaking things and some small ones; I'll talk mostly about the small ones because I can explain them better.

The Aggressive Defense System aug, which detonates enemy explosives before they reach you, seems like a bit of a bad deal at level one, because it detonates explosives that would otherwise miss you entirely and you get the splash damage. But at level 3 or 4, oh boy does it pay off. Weaker human enemies with explosives will literally blow themselves up just by being near you. Also, due to a glitch, it works on enemies with flamethrowers and plasma rifles, which neuters some otherwise pretty potent threats late game. At one point you can even destroy a locked door with your mind (there's a booby trap near it that ADS will set off.)

Never put any accuracy mods on the sniper rifle if you're planning on getting to Master rank in your rifles skill - it will be 100% accurate even without them. Also, at this level, you can destroy cameras, alarm panels, and turrets instantly with it, so basically dealing with every security system in the game is now optional. Then you put a silencer on it...

In Paris there's a nightclub you're required to enter to progress the plot. You either pay the cover charge at the front door, or spend some lockpicks to get in the back. But wait, there's a third way! Grab a corpse or unconscious body from the firefight you doubtless got into when you first reached the streets in this map. Carry it to the vicinity of the doorman (he's behind a locked door and will give you a key to enter the club once you pay him.) He will freak out and start running around aimlessly, as unarmed Deus Ex NPCs are wont to do, and cause the door to his room to open. Grab the key on the table in there. Bam, no lockpicks or credits spent!

It's apparently possible to skip the entire missile silo map by exploiting the way the LAW rocket launcher projectile spawns a short distance in front of you, but I've never done it myself.

For far more examples of goofy bugs and exploits in Deus Ex, see the famous "Sunglasses at Night" walkthrough - it's where I learned about pretty much all of them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The original also had the laser sight, which gave you pinpoint accuracy. Put it on the pistol, and you could 1-shot basically every human enemy in the game if you were good with head shots. Even from long distances! If you can still see the dot, you can still shoot it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Primetime posted:

Someone can probably explain these in more detail but final fantasy tactics had a ton of these. While the game gave you a ton of easy things to abuse, like picking orlandu, some mechanic abuse let you completely break the game.

The strongest was the blade grasp passive ability. Basically it was supposed to give you bonus chance to avoid a melee ability based on your brave stat. Problem was it was glitched so it let you Dodge anything from swords to bullets to magic with the same % chance. To add to it, you could permanently raise your brave stat by spamming certain abilities, ultimately letting you have 97% Dodge chance vs. Every ability in the game.

There were a ton of these, the crux of a lot of single character runs (I.e. beating the game with only the main character) involve spamming a speed up ability to get 5-6 turns before any enemy can move.
FFT is broken poo poo central and Blade Grasp wasn't even the most broken counter. The most broken one was MP Switch, which converted all of the damage from any attack or spell into MP damage if you had any MP at all, which of course could be paired with a move ability that gave you a small amount of MP every time you moved. Chantages were an accessory that gives you permanent Reraise, a.k.a. literal death immunity. Calculators could usually one-shot the whole map. Martial Arts had insane damage scaling and was easy to raise to one-shot damage by just spamming Praise and Cheer Up on your monk for a mission or two. Golem broke the AI by making them so obsessed with breaking your physical damage shield that they'd stop using magic entirely. Casting Accumulate awarded the same XP/JP as attacking an enemy and you could use it any time, so the easiest leveling strategy was to just spam Foxbird on an enemy until it ran into a corner for 9 rounds and then have your whole party just spam Accumulate over and over again.

Other random FF busted stuff:

FF7 had an ability called Magic Hammer that drained a ton of MP and multiple bosses would stop using their particularly threatening abilities after being hit by it a few times.

FF9 had Quina, who had a couple deceptively busted abilities. Mustard Bomb was basically Death except learnable much earlier and half the MP cost. Auto-Life + Limit Glove let you trivialize boss fights by spamming them for 9999 damage every turn.

StandardVC10 posted:

He will freak out and start running around aimlessly, as unarmed Deus Ex NPCs are wont to do, and cause the door to his room to open. Grab the key on the table in there. Bam, no lockpicks or credits spent!
The entire Liberty Island mission can be skipped in roughly the same way. Throw a gas grenade at the UNATCO building and the guy at the reception desk will open the door to escape the gas clouds floating through the wall.

OneEightHundred has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Instant Sunrise posted:

Honestly Saints Row is a series where I can't actually complain about something being broken. Especially in 4 since it's all virtual reality. Literally everything no matter what is a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

saints row 4 is broken in the sense that it makes playing saints row 3 pretty much unbearable

• Locked thread