Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

45 is like middle age for beer league. When I showed up at 37 I was the youngest on the team by 5 years.

I'm turning 35 in a few months and recently discovered that I'm like the third oldest on all of my teams. Doing lunges while holding my dog (which I don't have and am forced to replicate, lately with a 70lb barbell over my shoulders) is how I don't die playing with and against skaters a decade younger than me.

e: had a chance to join a team for CAHA, but I have so much going on this weekend that I abstained. Had I known I might be playing against some fellow goons, I may have reconsidered...

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I had a game of firsts today.

First multi-goal game and fist multi goal shift. Oh yeah, first game winner.

First goal was a greasy rebound I worked around the goalie. Totally earned that one.

Second goal was a shot from the right circle that wasn't all that great. Hit the goalies glove, bounced up over it and dropped in.

The center on my line spent the rest of the game trying to get me the hatty. I wasn't too broken up about it.

Oh yeah, I threw out a massive screen for the first goal too. Goalie had no clue the puck was even coming towards her.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Pretty random, but do any of you play at "The Wex" in Cadillac, Michigan? I just moved here for work from down state (Ann Arbor) and I'm trying to enter the adult hockey scene. It either doesn't exist at this rink or is poorly advertised online.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I had a game of firsts today.

First multi-goal game and fist multi goal shift. Oh yeah, first game winner.

First goal was a greasy rebound I worked around the goalie. Totally earned that one.

Second goal was a shot from the right circle that wasn't all that great. Hit the goalies glove, bounced up over it and dropped in.

The center on my line spent the rest of the game trying to get me the hatty. I wasn't too broken up about it.

Oh yeah, I threw out a massive screen for the first goal too. Goalie had no clue the puck was even coming towards her.

Is your league in Romeoville Illinois?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Finnally scored my first goal of adult hockey. It felt good, especially since the other team was getting really chippy as the game went on. One player was hitting our goalies glove when he went to cover the puck and took a couple bonus swings after the whistle and got upset when the defender shoved him out of the crease, causing him to fall. They also had one player on their team playing d who is clearly playing down a level, as he would do between the leg dekes and such to get around the whole team, but then he wouldn't shoot the puck himself, instead trying to set up his teammates for the goals but it was still annoying as he would stop almost every attack on their zone. Hopefully he was a one time deal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Yes, he plays down there. I play there Sunday mornings too.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

RC Cola posted:

Yup. I float between coed in summer and D2 in winter. Spent a few sessions in AIL (including one on the same team as xzzy), but Sunday mornings got too rough to keep doing.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
A team came to the CAHA novice division (which is meant for "Adults with 1-5 years playing experience") with this guy on their roster and...went 0-3 in the round robin. Beating them was so drat satisfying.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sweet! Our first game is 3:30p. I'm the short guy #19. We will be upstairs drinking beers after. My gf is on Pandora Artemis at 7:45.

Should be a fun weekend!

poo poo, I wish I'd checked this before I went to the tourney. We played you guys at 3:30 on Friday (I was #6, the guy on Battalion who can't skate all that well). You guys were a fun group.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ah! Awesome. That game was fun and by far the best match-up of almost any game we've played there over the years. Our goalie had a rough game on Friday and we took a stupid too much man penalty. I rang 2 off the crossbar as well :v:

The Freewheelers were a good team, but they had 2 colossal douchers on their team. That #56 guy was really good, but a complete whiny bitch. We were only down by 2 going into the third, but then kind of melted down. We took a few liberties with #56 toward the end of the game.

That Gang Green guy you mentioned was stupid good. It was weird though. He'd get the puck, easily skate through all 5 of us, then go to the corner and look for a pass. I don't think he even shot it once against us. Usually at that tournament, the ringers just light you up. He could have easily changed the game completely. I think we beat them 5-0.

Did you guys stay at the Four Points? I think I remember you guys walking through the bar while we were all sitting there drinking before our Saturday afternoon game.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Yeah 56 was another ringer level guy who just toyed with us. He wasn't too whiny against us though, but we had a couple buddies on that team so the overall vibe of that game was very chill and nobody really chirped. Yeah, we were only down 3-1 heading into the 3rd but then they just lit us up :(

The Gang Green guy definitely played down to this level. He scored once against us, and set up a few more. He nearly tied the game on a breakaway with < 5 seconds left but our dman pitchforked him and the game ended with their entire bench screaming for a penalty shot (we'd scored on one earlier).

A bunch of us stayed at the Fairmont San Jose for the tourney, which is right next to Four Points. We ran into a bunch of guys from your team at a restaurant nearby before the Saturday night game. That older guy on your team was great, he had all these tricky little moves. drat hard to contain - he play in college or anything?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yes, he plays down there. I play there Sunday mornings too.

Is that canlan? I was thinking of playing with some friends. I'm God awful and can't do crossovers to the right or skate backwards. How much do you want to play with me. I'm practicing skating p much right now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ah yeah that was us there. We drank entirely way too much, especially Friday night after our game.

The old guy is 200 years old and the team punching bag. He's Canadian, so rightfully so. Been playing a long time but don't think he ever played anything too competitive growing up. Good guy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Is that canlan? I was thinking of playing with some friends. I'm God awful and can't do crossovers to the right or skate backwards. How much do you want to play with me. I'm practicing skating p much right now.

Yep, Canlan. If you can get up at the rear end crack of dawn on Sundays the instructional league is pretty drat good. Kinda pricey but you get a clinic every week mixed with 8 games (which means you can HTFU and do a game and a clinic on the same day), coached and ref'd so it's a good springboard into low level beer league. The classes usually do about 50 minutes of various skating drills, then 30 of team oriented drills like breakouts or whatever.

If you sign up with a friend, they allow you to name them and guarantee you get on the same team. Not sure about more than that, the organizer will do it if asked but is really big on even teams and that's hard to do if everyone tried to lock things up.

We'd probably bump into each other, depends how many people sign up for summer. I've been doing the higher skill division the past couple seasons so haven't seen the rookies too much lately. Not that I'm any good.. I'm just a couple percent less bad.

Early morning hockey owns by the way.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yep, Canlan. If you can get up at the rear end crack of dawn on Sundays the instructional league is pretty drat good. Kinda pricey but you get a clinic every week mixed with 8 games (which means you can HTFU and do a game and a clinic on the same day), coached and ref'd so it's a good springboard into low level beer league. The classes usually do about 50 minutes of various skating drills, then 30 of team oriented drills like breakouts or whatever.

If you sign up with a friend, they allow you to name them and guarantee you get on the same team. Not sure about more than that, the organizer will do it if asked but is really big on even teams and that's hard to do if everyone tried to lock things up.

We'd probably bump into each other, depends how many people sign up for summer. I've been doing the higher skill division the past couple seasons so haven't seen the rookies too much lately. Not that I'm any good.. I'm just a couple percent less bad.

Early morning hockey owns by the way.

I think one actually was starting this weekend or soon. But what gear do I need to play minimum in their leagues? Before the last couple years I never skated. Skiing was my closest experience. I'm committed though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I was thinking of doing the hockey development skating but I'd have to miss two days. Do you think they'd discount it at all?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They might pro-rate. Never done it so can't say.

And AIL will require all protective gear. It's full on hockey. Very slow hockey, but collisions happen.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

RC Cola posted:

I was thinking of doing the hockey development skating but I'd have to miss two days. Do you think they'd discount it at all?

My friend paid per class when he was only able to make a couple and it was the same rate as paying for the whole thing

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

RC Cola posted:

If your local rink has D/C pickup games, I'd go ahead and do a few of those. You'll learn a bit faster while playing since you have to act before you think in terms of skating. It may help you push your limits a bit more. Also mix up some public skating (wear pads too!) to work on straight technique. That's basically what I did to start out.

Learn to play will be your best bet for learning, I wish I had the opportunity to do that when I started out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Got invited to train and hang out with a local rec team, so i'm pretty pumped about that. I played a lot of defence yesterday and while I wasn't fantastic, I managed to clear the puck a ton, managed a couple of really awesome lob passes on the boards over a guys stick to a teammate (who didn't notice it had actually gotten to him until it was to late, but oh well) and managed some decent stick checks. There was even one guy who tried to lift my stick but I saw it coming, managed to put my weight on it in time and kept a hold of the puck.

All in all, fantastic session. Now all I need to do is skate a bit faster backwards and I might be able to stop a forward if its just me and him. Right now i've been told to skate at him but I find the guy just heads past me because i'm not quite fast enough.

VVVVVVVVVV

Oh good, i'll go back to getting in his way and generally being a pain in the rear end

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2016

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Uhhhh...don't "skate at him". Just stay in front of him.

Edit: vvvvvv Er, yes.

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 27, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

mr. unhsib posted:

Uhhhh...don't "skate at him". Just stay in front* of him.

*between him and the net.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I kind of inadvertently found myself at a skate with a bunch of ECHL and D1 college guys last night and this did little except to clearly illustrate to me how old and slow and bad at ice hockey I am.

I scored once on what I thought was a pretty good snap shot and I swear I heard someone laughing afterwards.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Whenever I skate with young guys with junior experiences or above, I find myself able to keep up with them on their top speed as long as I give it 100% effort. However the issue becomes stamina, because after the first 2...maybe 3 shifts, I am absolutely dead, whereas those guys seem to skate circles forever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He's a goddamn liar, start there when you read his self deprecating nonsense.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i broke the rivets off my other skate last game. got a good shot off tho.

we lost like 14-0.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Roller season started last night. So stoked for high scoring, no defense games.

We won 9-5. Had a from all 3 forward pairings on the first 3 shifts of the game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

we lost like 14-0.

Condolences to your goalie.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

we lost like 14-0.

all salute hero skates

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I gave forward a go last night, wearing a red jersey and then the reds got split up so they were a couple of reds on either side because we didn't have enough for a full team.

Went better than expected, mainly because I think half the people there didn't know which team I was on. I also decided to really, really get stuck in and ended up full on checking a couple of people who expected me to get out of the way, sent them flying. (Granted, i didn't mean to, but if a collision is going to happen I might as well come out on top)

Was loving great, almost scored too, goalie just managed to get his pad in the way and it deflected off the post. Next time perhaps.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 29, 2016

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Anyone have any experience with the Hockey Giant brand hockey sticks? http://www.hockeygiant.com/gearfs150stksr.html On clearance for ~100, I'm wondering if they are worth that price

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

100 for the whites is a decent deal but if they're still running the discounted HTX id go for that first for sure

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saw a thing on reddit saying that Graf Canada shut down today. I guess their overseas stuff is still going so I'm not sure what impact this has long term on getting their gear, but it seems like if you like Graf gear now might be the time to scoop some of it up, as the overseas stuff isn't as high quality.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Well, if true, that sucks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, I can't find a single news article or tweet about it so it could just be reddit being reddit. The guy claims to "know people" so who knows.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah I went a-googlin' too and couldn't find a single thing about it, AND I think they just released a new stick line but who the heck knows :shrug:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Had a chance to scope some of the new tacks line and boy is it nice

time to take out a mortgage for new skates

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looks like I'm playing centre on my new team, any face off tips? So far I've got get low, choke up on the stick, watch the ref's hand. Anything else?

Also typically what does a centre do right after the faceoff? Is it something like:

Defensive zone loss: pick up a man
Defensive zone win: start breaking out
Offensive zone loss: forecheck or start back checking
Offensive zone win: get open for a pass/get to the slot
Neutral zone win: ??
Neutral zone loss: ??

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

prom candy posted:

Looks like I'm playing centre on my new team, any face off tips? So far I've got get low, choke up on the stick, watch the ref's hand. Anything else?

Also typically what does a centre do right after the faceoff? Is it something like:

Defensive zone loss: pick up a man
Defensive zone win: start breaking out
Offensive zone loss: forecheck or start back checking
Offensive zone win: get open for a pass/get to the slot
Neutral zone win: ??
Neutral zone loss: ??

On faceoffs, despite what you think, never push the puck forward. It is an automatic turnover, and you aren't going to score when they have the puck. When the ref is about to drop it, either swat away or tie up the opposing center's stick, and either cleanly win it back or kick the puck back to your teammate.

You're correct on how to act on everything. As far as neutral zone goes.
If you win: get moving to an open space so you can get a pass for zone entry
If you lose: do one of 2 things, chase the puck, or cover your center; I usually chase unless the Center is a big threat to score

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't immediately glide up to the faceoff dot and crouch down. Give your bros a chance to get situated, there's no reason to hurry. Especially on defensive zone draws because I guarantee everyone has a different opinion on how to line up and you want to avoid having a puck in play while people are getting their heads out of their rear end.

A word to your linemates indicating what you intend to attempt is useful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The most important part of faceoffs, don't forget to cheat as much as you can by moving early.