Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

drgitlin posted:

Izakaya what? An izakaya is just a japanese gastropub type thing. There's Daikaya on 6th St, Seki on V St, and there used to be Kushi on L but that's closed so obviously not that one.

Daikaya calls their upstairs "Izakaya"; I think that's what he's referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Ya, that!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Karl Hungus posted:

I ate what I think is the best burger I've ever had in my life. 1/3 lb beef, soft brioche bun, brie, sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, and cabernet glaze.

Holy Cow ... It's just outside DC in VA but is worth the trip...

http://www.holycowdelray.com/build-your-own-hamburger-menu.htm

This place is amazing. Some fantastic beef and their milkshakes are top notch.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Skip the milkshake and walk 20 feet down to Dairy Godmother.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the chocolate marshmallow.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bunk Rogers posted:

Skip the milkshake and walk 20 feet down to Dairy Godmother.

This is true.

Also, Holy Cow is owned by the same people as Pork Barrel BBQ.
Holy cow is better, but I'm a bbq snob.

that being said, Pork Barrel is still very good.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is true.

Also, Holy Cow is owned by the same people as Pork Barrel BBQ.
Holy cow is better, but I'm a bbq snob.

that being said, Pork Barrel is still very good.

The same people ALSO own the sushi place between Holy Cow and Pork Barrel. I guess they share a kitchen and everything. I've heard the sushi is not great, but I did wander in there for a drink the other day and the bar was actually not bad. They have Reyka Vodka which is my fave. The menu looked underwhelming, though.

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009
Just popping in to say thanks to everyone for the awesome posts here. I was in DC for the weekend and flipped through the posts here and reviews online to figure out where to go.

Night 1: got in late, hit the "Irish Channel" downtown cause it had live music and was suggested by a friend. Not a "dining" experience but I did see a guy at the bar getting a handy j from some woman (for a few seconds at least, before he pushed her away). Classy.

Night 2: Founding Farmers. It was well reviewed and didn't disappoint. Portions are very large, which took away from the whole experience a little. Good value and amazing food though, highly recommended!

Thanks for the posts. I hope to make it back someday!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

JiimyPopAli posted:

Night 1: got in late, hit the "Irish Channel" downtown cause it had live music and was suggested by a friend. Not a "dining" experience but I did see a guy at the bar getting a handy j from some woman (for a few seconds at least, before he pushed her away). Classy.

hell yes, that's the Irish Channel I know and love

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

hell yes, that's the Irish Channel I know and love

Were you there Friday and wearing a blue checkered shirt? If so, you could have done better. Just sayin.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I went to Peking Gourmet out in Fairfax last night with a whole bunch of my girlfriend's coworkers and it was delicious. We had sixteen people and ordered way, way too much food; probably eight orders of dumplings, four orders of wings, two kinds of rolls, seven ducks and six other random entrees. Everything up to and including the duck was fantastic, the entrees afterwards were not quite as interesting but we might have chosen poorly (also we were so full at that point we probably didn't care as much). Service was an interesting throwback to what I remember from Chinese restaurants when I was a kid... our server (May) plated food for everyone when she came to the table, including making a little wrap with the duck.

If you haven't been, I'd strongly recommend it. Make sure to ask for the hot peppers with the duck.

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

kedo posted:

I went to Peking Gourmet out in Fairfax last night with a whole bunch of my girlfriend's coworkers and it was delicious. We had sixteen people and ordered way, way too much food; probably eight orders of dumplings, four orders of wings, two kinds of rolls, seven ducks and six other random entrees. Everything up to and including the duck was fantastic, the entrees afterwards were not quite as interesting but we might have chosen poorly (also we were so full at that point we probably didn't care as much). Service was an interesting throwback to what I remember from Chinese restaurants when I was a kid... our server (May) plated food for everyone when she came to the table, including making a little wrap with the duck.

If you haven't been, I'd strongly recommend it. Make sure to ask for the hot peppers with the duck.

My family went to this place on special occasions and it has a special place in my heart. The duck and apps are fantastic but I haven't cared for the entrees when they have been ordered. They were not bad just not the star of the show.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

JiimyPopAli posted:

Were you there Friday and wearing a blue checkered shirt? If so, you could have done better. Just sayin.

No I don't live in DC anymore, but based on previous evenings at Irish Channel, it's quite possible I wouldn't be able to remember if I were.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

kedo posted:

I actually think Peking Duck in Alexandria serves better duck. Try it out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DARPA Dad posted:

Nice, I will! This was my first experience with Peking duck since I was about 10, so I don't have a very good barometer for what makes an amazing duck. All I know is I want more.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

DARPA Dad posted:

I haven't been to Peking Gourmet, but Peking Duck is great.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Wroughtirony posted:

I actually kind of want to go to Komi one more time before I leave the area in June. Mr. W isn't as much of a foodie as me and I don't think my parents will be in town before then. Any of you goons want to go on the world's most expensive goondate? I promise I am pleasant company, a witty conversationalist, and willing to share a wine pairing.

My partner and I went to Komi tonight for what passes for our anniversary. omg it was so good. I'm glad the food stopped coming because I would have kept eating.

It's definitely in the top 5ish restaurants I've been to and cheaper than most things I'd compare it to.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
We always make an excuse to stop there when we are out that way, I've never thought to ask for peppers before though! Thanks for the tip.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Guys
Guys
Guys

http://woodwardtable.com/menus/wtf/menus/breakfast

WTF?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Karl Hungus posted:

I ate what I think is the best burger I've ever had in my life. 1/3 lb beef, soft brioche bun, brie, sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, and cabernet glaze.

Holy Cow ... It's just outside DC in VA but is worth the trip...

http://www.holycowdelray.com/build-your-own-hamburger-menu.htm

Holy Cow's really good. Did you try one of their shakes too?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

WTF is quite good.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Crane & Turtle is closing April 24. http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2016/02/29/petworths-crane-turtle-will-close-on-april-24/

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

Tyro posted:

WTF is quite good.

Best sandwiches in DC I think + bacon chocolate chip cookies

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

Daikaya calls their upstairs "Izakaya"; I think that's what he's referring to.

Going here later this week, anyone have particular recommendations for things to try or avoid?

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012
I went to Asian Delight (Still called Asian Palace on Yelp) in Fairfax on Fairfax Blvd. near Jermantown road. It's the ground floor of the Comfort Inn over there. The management changes every so often so it's changed quite a bit over the years, but they now have SOUP DUMPLINGS. The ones over in Rockville at Bob's Shanghai aren't bad, but I like the ones here way better (they only have pork here, while Bob's has pork and crab though). Anyways, I'll never stand in line at Joe's Shanghai in New York for it ever again since this is 10 minutes from my house.

Also recommend the fried fish with cumin, szechuan spicy beef casserole, and something they called "fish with sauerkraut" which is really more like a fish lightly braised with cabbage and green chili curry. Only thing to keep in mind is that they are generally understaffed with one or two poor waitresses running around the huge dining room, and the wait from the kitchen is getting better, but you may arrive 10 minutes after a busload of Chinese tourists. I hope their business picks up because this is a real hidden gem to me.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I noticed Rasika had started offering brunch. Anyone tried it? On one hand brunch isn't the first thing that comes to mind at an Indian place, but on the other they do such a good job with everything I'm intrigued.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I just had a cheeseburger at Holy Cow and I'm in burg heaven......

:D

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide

spankminister posted:

I went to Asian Delight (Still called Asian Palace on Yelp) in Fairfax on Fairfax Blvd. near Jermantown road. It's the ground floor of the Comfort Inn over there. The management changes every so often so it's changed quite a bit over the years, but they now have SOUP DUMPLINGS. The ones over in Rockville at Bob's Shanghai aren't bad, but I like the ones here way better (they only have pork here, while Bob's has pork and crab though). Anyways, I'll never stand in line at Joe's Shanghai in New York for it ever again since this is 10 minutes from my house.

Also recommend the fried fish with cumin, szechuan spicy beef casserole, and something they called "fish with sauerkraut" which is really more like a fish lightly braised with cabbage and green chili curry. Only thing to keep in mind is that they are generally understaffed with one or two poor waitresses running around the huge dining room, and the wait from the kitchen is getting better, but you may arrive 10 minutes after a busload of Chinese tourists. I hope their business picks up because this is a real hidden gem to me.

Have you been to Peter Changs yet? Soup dumplings are pretty good, though everything else is amazing.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Wachepti posted:

I just had a cheeseburger at Holy Cow and I'm in burg heaven......

:D

Another believer! But did you go to Dairy Godmother?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any of you-uns been to Tail Up Goat yet? I've been there twice now and it's pretty awesome. They offer a good mix of small bites to large plates so you can have whatever type of dinner you'd like (ie. sharing a bunch of plates among friends, or everyone with their own entree), a great wine list and some really solid cocktails. A lot of the folks who work there/own the place come from places like Komi, Little Serow or Rose's Luxury so the service is extremely friendly and on point. Prices are what you'd expect for a nice restaurant in DC.

I was there last night with the gf and another couple. We had probably half the menu, and it was incredibly tasty. I also splurged and ordered a $32 glass of wine I'd had before – it was absolutely fantastic and has ruined all other wines for me.

Totally worth checking out.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Yeah, I went there a few weeks ago and had a nice experience. First the service was incredible - when my wife mentioned she was gluten free the server took the menu away, marked it up by indicating what dishes she could eat and what items had to be removed from certain dishes to make them ok and gave it back. It made it seem like she was getting a personalized menu, really nice touch.

This was also the first restaurant I can ever remember eating at where the main courses were wayyyy better than the apps. The hen of the wood mushroom with "burnt bread sauce" was incredible, the lamb was incredible, the pasta is soooo well made. It's definitely a restaurant where you order wine instead of beer or cocktails because they have a fun/bizarre and very interesting list (herman j wiemer cab franc, what?). Also the celery shrub they give you when you sit down is so refreshing.

CherryCola posted:

Another believer! But did you go to Dairy Godmother?

I had the 2/3lb burg so there wasn't room for anything else even though I WANTED to get garlic fries and a chocolate thin mint shake :burger:

I honestly think the shakes at Holy Cow are just as good as Dairy Godmother. They were doing a girl scout cookie shake special and I was so tempted...

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 21, 2016

spankminister
Apr 11, 2012

Time Trial posted:

Have you been to Peter Changs yet? Soup dumplings are pretty good, though everything else is amazing.

Is that the one in Arlington? I haven't yet, since toddlers tend to limit the time/distance a restaurant can take. I have gone to Taste of China in Charlottesville many times, and that's probably the best Szechuan restaurant I've been to hands down.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

spankminister posted:

Is that the one in Arlington? I haven't yet, since toddlers tend to limit the time/distance a restaurant can take. I have gone to Taste of China in Charlottesville many times, and that's probably the best Szechuan restaurant I've been to hands down.

There's one in Falls Church and one in Rockville.

Zulchep
May 4, 2009
Have any of you ever tried Crown Bakery in DC? Caribbean (Trini) place on North Georgia and Kennedy. They've got an amazing brunch buffet, which includes rum punch and absolutely amazing fried tilapia with red gravy. They do lunch service on the weekdays, but only do brunch on Sundays.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Gonna be staying in Aurora Highlands near DCA with the Mrs. for a few days in May, are there are MUST-GO places in the area? I'm open to any and all suggestions, though I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. I don't mind dropping a little bit but I'm not about to spend 200 bucks for a meal.

e: also if there are any good burger joints nearby, do tell

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 28, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Holy Cow in Del Ray for burgers near there.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

But Not Tonight posted:

Gonna be staying in Aurora Highlands near DCA with the Mrs. for a few days in May, are there are MUST-GO places in the area? I'm open to any and all suggestions, though I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. I don't mind dropping a little bit but I'm not about to spend 200 bucks for a meal.

e: also if there are any good burger joints nearby, do tell

Near where you're staying: The Crystal City Jaleo is probably on the pricier end of what you're looking for, but I've enjoyed it every time I've been. There's a Good Stuff Eatery right there as well. If you've got a rental car, go 5-10 minutes south on US 1 and get donuts at Sugar Shack (or a drink at Captain Gregory's- it turns into a speakeasy cocktail joint at night). You've also got all of Old Town Alexandria right there.

You're going to be right on a Metro line, so getting into DC is about as easy as it's going to get without actually staying in DC.

edit: I have never heard that area called Aurora Highlands before.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I dunno, it's just what popped up on google maps. It's actually more towards 395 and 23rd, and I'm told there's a Metro station less than a mile away from us. At any rate, thanks for the suggestions!

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
There's a good Ethiopian place on 23rd st. Kabob Palace is great too. Some good bars too. Jaleo is definitely the best fancy restaurant in the area though. Aurora Highlands is definitely the area south of Pentagon City and west of Crystal City, across route 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

But Not Tonight posted:

I dunno, it's just what popped up on google maps. It's actually more towards 395 and 23rd, and I'm told there's a Metro station less than a mile away from us. At any rate, thanks for the suggestions!

Just to reiterate - since you asked about good burger joints, don't neglect Good Stuff (since it wasn't explicitly mentioned for burgers). I wouldn't be surprised if Holy Cow is better, but I haven't been. Good Stuff does make very good burgers and shakes, though. It's the second(?) location for that specific restaurant, and they are run by a former Top Chef TV show guy from season 4. The toasted marshmallow shake is very good.

Kabob Palace is amazing, too. There are two restaurants right by each other - one with tables, and one with take-out only. The one with tables also offers take-out. It's a noted favorite of local taxi divers, or was at one point before ~disruption~

• Locked thread