Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Yeah, I don't know about any health benefits, but water or club soda with fruit or vegetables in it is delicious and refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scathach posted:

Infused water is pretty stupid. I feel like it's a half-step away from being homeopathy. Just eat the damned fruit and drink the damned water and stop being a weirdo. (I admit those glass straws are pretty loving cute, though.)

If you don't infuse the water, how is it supposed to get the memory of the fruit?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

chitoryu12 posted:

If you don't infuse the water, how is it supposed to get the memory of the fruit?

The fruit is supposed to LOOK at the water, duh. Unless it's some really sub-par fruit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Potatoes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Those loving agriculturists and their stupid grains.
What was wrong with berries and game?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Those loving agriculturists and their stupid grains.
What was wrong with berries and game?

This but unironically. There is a reason why our ancestors first used grains for making alcoholic beverages and only later for eating.

The world would be a better place if palms grew everywhere so our ancestors could have just acquired an easy source of alcohol without agriculture.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Or sugarcane for delicious rum

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh hell yes it's Pimm's season soon, thanks for the reminder

Oh man, a British friend of a friend introduced me to Pimm's last summer. Thank YOU for reminding me it's time to whip some up, those fuckers are tasty.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheDon01 posted:

Oh man, a British friend of a friend introduced me to Pimm's last summer. Thank YOU for reminding me it's time to whip some up, those fuckers are tasty.

Pimm's Blackberry & Elderflower mixed with a lemon shandy over ice is a cool and delicious way to enjoy a summer day.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

:laffo: I had Pimms at that place I went with the mason jar drinks last week. It had orange and cucumber slices in it, but it was made with ginger beer which was friggin amazing.

Put ginger beer in everything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/antoniafarzan/status/723642430633971713

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I would love to see how much these cost, by the way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have always wished my love of pork rinds would become socially acceptable, but not like this... :ohdear:

I bet those taste like the gross rear end frito lays ones but with more sea salt and rosemary.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Scathach posted:

Infused water is pretty stupid. I feel like it's a half-step away from being homeopathy. Just eat the damned fruit and drink the damned water and stop being a weirdo. (I admit those glass straws are pretty loving cute, though.)

No idiot, I'm trying to lose weight, obviously I can't drink the one with strawberries.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If they can gentifry the most basic things like table salt, they can gentrify anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That kind of packaging is the loving worst. it's like the corny yuppie version of those Doritos bags from the 90's that had writing all over them like "DO YOU LIKE 16 KINDS OF CHEESE BAKED INTO A UNBELIEVABLY FIREY EXPLOSION? YEAH WE THOUGHT YOU DID human being. NOW HOLD ONTO YOUR DICK AND ROCK CLIMBING GEAR BECAUSE FLAMIN HOT SUSHI FLAVORED DORITOS ARE ABOUT TO BLOW YOUR LILY WHITE SOCKS OFF. SIT BACK AND GET READY TO GET YOUR HEAD BLOWN OFF WITH A FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT OF TASTE. WE HOPE U DON'T HAVE TO CALL THE SUICIDE HOTLINE CAUSE YOU EXPERIENCE TOO MANY FLAVORS AT ONCE WITH NEW DORITOS FLAMIN HOT SUSHI BITCH"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Who makes Adelaide's best AB?

quote:

Though nothing more than sauce on meat on chips, the AB ranks with the pie floater and the frog cake as Adelaide’s most iconic food.

It is our most controversial delicacy; named something so intensely unappetising that in polite company the dish is always euphemistically called only by its first two letters.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

NESguerilla posted:

That kind of packaging is the loving worst. it's like the corny yuppie version of those Doritos bags from the 90's that had writing all over them like "DO YOU LIKE 16 KINDS OF CHEESE BAKED INTO A UNBELIEVABLY FIREY EXPLOSION? YEAH WE THOUGHT YOU DID human being. NOW HOLD ONTO YOUR DICK AND ROCK CLIMBING GEAR BECAUSE FLAMIN HOT SUSHI FLAVORED DORITOS ARE ABOUT TO BLOW YOUR LILY WHITE SOCKS OFF. SIT BACK AND GET READY TO GET YOUR HEAD BLOWN OFF WITH A FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT OF TASTE. WE HOPE U DON'T HAVE TO CALL THE SUICIDE HOTLINE CAUSE YOU EXPERIENCE TOO MANY FLAVORS AT ONCE WITH NEW DORITOS FLAMIN HOT SUSHI BITCH"

I like the teensy little "seemingly southern" print to the right, like, "Oh, don't feel like white trash. This poo poo has rosemary and is $5.49 a bag. Extreeeeeeme snackin', yo."

Also, rosemary makes my throat close in on itself, so I consider these to be a downgrade imo

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

In more civilised parts of the country they call that a HSP or Halal Snack Pack.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Shbobdb posted:

This but unironically. There is a reason why our ancestors first used grains for making alcoholic beverages and only later for eating.

The world would be a better place if palms grew everywhere so our ancestors could have just acquired an easy source of alcohol without agriculture.

Unfortunately this isn't backed by evidence. Parched grains and evidence of wild grain consumption as porridge goes back to the Middle Paleolithic.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Scathach posted:

Swill mineral water.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I stumbled across this bizarrely sexually-charged article in which the author personifies various types of grain as men and then introduces them to us, the readers, as if we are being pressured into a blind date.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

only tangentially-related but it's the only joke i remember from my visit to australia

why do northern australians drink XXXX?

because they can't spell "beer"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

NESguerilla posted:

I think that started with the labels on Dr. Bronner's weirdass soaps.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Scathach posted:

Yeah, except the original Dr Bronner was a true believer, so it's less obnoxious.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

So it's a weaksauce version of smoked meat poutine then?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Scathach posted:

Who cares what kind of crazy he was, their soap is great.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

cash crab posted:

I like the teensy little "seemingly southern" print to the right, like, "Oh, don't feel like white trash. This poo poo has rosemary and is $5.49 a bag. Extreeeeeeme snackin', yo."

All the deliciousness of poor people food doesn't outstrip bougie hipster types' intense desire to look down their noses at others.

Ever noticed when people like that do deign to venture into a bodega or a small restaurant they've gotta call it a "hole in the wall" or some other passive aggressive snipe?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So it's a weaksauce version of smoked meat poutine then?

Adelaide. :shrug:

And I say this as someone from Adelaide. :v:

E: I can't properly answer the question because I've never had it.
Or poutine for that matter.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 30, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I knew nothing about Blue Apron when a friend of mine sent me a free shipment. :shrug: It was okay. I still have and use the ice pack and insulating bag that came with it. I don't think I'd pay to have it for myself but I can see how it might be convenient if you lived in a rural area and didn't have access to stuff like shiitake mushrooms and fresh mint.

I don't see how it would be any better than just ordering the ingredients online instead

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Planet Piss posted:

Ever noticed when people like that do deign to venture into a bodega or a small restaurant they've gotta call it a "hole in the wall" or some other passive aggressive snipe?

Nope, but that's an excellent point and I think you've helped me develop a new pet peeve.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

making coffee needs a soundtrack, of course

welcome to portland i guess

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Who cares what kind of crazy he was, their soap is great.

Well I can't say he didn't know how to present himself.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Planet Piss posted:

calling a small place not many people know about a "hole in the wall" predates modern hipsterism by at least two centuries

what makes you think it's a passive-aggressive snipe? i've only ever heard it used endearingly.

cash crab posted:

Nope, but that's an excellent point and I think you've helped me develop a new pet peeve.
don't.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't see how it would be any better than just ordering the ingredients online instead

Because you don't have to like think duh

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Picnic Princess posted:

:laffo: I had Pimms at that place I went with the mason jar drinks last week. It had orange and cucumber slices in it, but it was made with ginger beer which was friggin amazing.

Put ginger beer in everything.

Pimms made with Lemon Lime and Bitters is pretty much the most refreshing thing in the world.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Eh, it's not really. It's a pricey alternative to it. If you don't cook that often and aren't good with recipes, it's a good alternative. I like how they only send you as much as you need for the recipe, though. So if you're trying some recipe you found online and you buy a package of fresh Marjoram or whatever, you aren't stuck wasting the rest of the herbs after spending $6.75 on a package of them.

Sure, you could use those items up on the rest of your meals for the week, but if you aren't regularly cooking full meals, one-off ingredients expire pretty fast.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But if you learn to cook, you will learn things like that every co-op in existence has bulk spices so you can buy exactly as much as you want (as well as some larger chains like Winco).

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Pick posted:

But if you learn to cook, you will learn things like that every co-op in existence has bulk spices so you can buy exactly as much as you want (as well as some larger chains like Winco).

the post you're trying to argue with by saying that posted:

if you lived in a rural area and didn't have access to stuff like shiitake mushrooms and fresh mint

believe it or not there are places in the world where there isn't a local co-op selling bulk spices; I've lived in several

e: I think those services are wasteful anyway ("instead of trying to find local alternatives i'll just have somebody literally put five marjoram leaves in an envelope on a loving truck and drive it across the country to my house, and somehow this will make me feel better and less wasteful"??) but that specific point isn't super valid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
My town doesn't even have a grocery store and most places don't deliver out here. I could see that being useful if you lived in the middle of nowhere and don't commute into the city regularly if it didn't cost $10 a goddamn serving

• Locked thread