Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

I guess "scrap iron" is the same as "junk ore" from previous games. Completely unsalvageable?

There's uses for it, but not many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 11: Monster Mash

Today we rejoin your friend and mine, Donnel, as he ventures down an exciting path.

To the PARTS store!

With no Axe, I don’t want to make any cave progress in Toros, so I’d rather just stock up on some things.

Later in this update I am nearly poked to death by two satans, but sure, Rosetta, nothing crazy.

Lukas is here proving restraining orders cannot be a thing in Kardia due to their lack of any sort of legal or judicial system.

Toros is a Fall climate cave. These seeds that can regrow indefinitely when watered are great for caves, because there’s no 30 day limit on season that’ll kill them.

A set of Eggplant and Sweet Potato seeds get me ready to head out.

First though, let’s check on those cucumbers in Carmite. They’re still alive, so honestly, farming in caves is sometimes way more convenient than...your actual farm, because you don’t have to worry about watering every single day.

That said it would be nice to get some actual results from these.

Aww, my old friend dropped by to visit.

He even gave a Level Up! Thanks, pal.

The rest of the morning was spent fishing.

It was a waste of your time and mine.

This is my only simple joy.

Sharron you don’t have to say “but” we weren’t talking about anything.

Spoilers it’s Sharron.

Now, before I plant, it’s time to deal with the Demons.

Ah gently caress this is the bad zone.

See those red squigglys next to the Seal? That’s Paralyze. It completely removes Donnel’s ability to run. It’s, like most status ailments in Rune Factory, more annoying than crippling, but some bosses can require some serious movement.

At least we got another one of these.

Clearing these patches is a little annoying with no Axe to remove the stumps, but I found a 3x3 spot here.

And one over in the bottom right.

And now begins the slow trudge back to Edward’s, legs paralyzed by a demon spear.

Oh yeah it was really awesome, Mist.

For once, yes.

Edward’s checkups can clear any status ailments you have. They don’t restore any HP or RP, though.

Welp, Seal is finally gone again from the first time we encountered the ants.

I think that’s enough for one day. Axe still isn’t going to be ready, so tomorrow will be another “gently caress around” day.

Oh, I realized I never showed this off, this calendar next to Donnel’s bed displays holidays.

Tomorrow is Melody’s Birthday! We’ll have to go hunt for a present. I wonder if she’s into Devil Horns, because we have one of those!

Oh and I wanted to note that no, nobody likes us yet, still.

My watering trip into Toros Cave proved fruitful on the combat front.

Also I found some cool looking grass. This will be a perfect birthday present.

Alright, that’s all I really needed to do today. It’s almost axe time.

Passing the time before Leo’s opens fishing at the pier, I found a new type of fish!

Not entirely sure how I caught a squid with a fishing rod but I mean I’m not going to deny the results.

Oh, hey there Mei.

Goodbye Mei.

Oh, this is a drat treasure.

Might as well sell off the excess stuff while I’m here.

Stumps can now fall before our mighty Chopping Axe.

It takes 10 swings to fell a single Stump, though.

Even the charge attack only cuts it down to 5 or 6.

Here’s Donnel’s HP/RP situation after only 3 or 4 stumps.

That said...it was entirely worth it.

Let’s get us a Hut.

Wow, he wasn’t kidding. I just walked back. And it takes Leo 2 days to make an axe? Come on, man.

It is time for the Monster tutorial.

: And remember, your monster’s friendship levels will drop if you don’t give them “feed”. Feed is automatically stored in your hut when you grow and harvest “grazing grass.” If you’re out of grass, you can buy some at my shop and place it in the window to the left of the hut entrance.

Okay, so like, here’s why monster friendship sucks to raise in this game. You need to get that feed. That’s farming, which is as always, an everyday watering thing, so that’s a chunk of RP lost. The more monsters you have, the more feed just gets siphoned from your reserves super fast. And Camus and Neumann do sell it, but it’s overpriced.

Happiness raises the effectiveness in combat/chores of monsters, and monsters that produce crops will give us better quality ones with higher happiness. Still, it’s so hard to raise that it’s barely worth it. For now. There’s another way to do it that is much easier and we’ll get to that. But like, the Grazing Grass stuff? You can kinda ignore that. They won’t starve or anything.

Yeah, that’s 100 G a pop. Not super worth it. Neumann also sells it for the same price.

I went ahead and watered the Carmite crops before heading for the bath. Time to give Melody her Birthday gift.

: You’ll never capture my heart with materialistic stuff!

I...just wanted to give you a birthday present…

: What I really love are people who come and take lots of baths! And, of course I hate Peeping Toms who look into the women’s bath.

It was just a birthday present, chill, Melody. So giving people gifts they like (Melody likes colored grasses) on their birthdays raises their affection (and sometimes Love Points) towards you, but…

Apparently Melody didn’t really give a gently caress.

Cold as ice, that bath lady.

Well then, it is time. Time to start building the Monster Squad. I’ve decided to grab two of our old favorites from Carmite.

Hello, old grinding friend. I come in peace.

Oh holy poo poo your arrows Seal me? I didn’t even know that.

Alright, you just have to vigorously rub these monsters until hearts fly out. You’re gonna take some damage doing this, because the petting animation is long, but eventually…

ORKWA? What kind of a name is ORKWA?

Well, unfortunately, the monster name limit is a piddly five letters. That sucks. Thankfully, though, we STILL got a fitting suggestion.

Thanks to sheep-dodger for this suggestion. Go watch the “Noone Lives Forever” LP on the archive.

I’m pretty sure Kate’s a lady Orc but okay Donnel, whatever.

Now then...oh boy.

Give me a minute to mentally prepare myself here.

poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress poo poo

I’M RUBBING THIS BEE WITH ALL MY MIGHT

Finally. And, uh...SQUAR? No.

TooMuchAbstraction echoes my sentiment regarding the bees.

Got one, now his buddy can gently caress off.

Well that was...disastrous.

Let’s eat that Roundoff we got from Edward to cure the Seal. Again, I’m not sure why it looks like a giant pair of lips. What is that...made of?

Oh, it actually restores some HP/RP. I had forgotten about that.

Anyway, Orbin’ out. Time to go grab our next monster.

Oh this is already going poorly.

You will not believe how close this was. I did save first though. Anyway, LUCY is a pretty drat good name for a SatanDemon, but…

DarthTNT made a good suggestion with Dante.

Also look at my HP after this. drat.

VICTORY SWIPES

And that’s how Donnel partied so hard he passed out.

I know.

See you all next time.

Oh, regarding the marriage poll, I'm gonna keep it open until we clear a certain dungeon related to the top choice right now. (Mt. Gigant)

So it'll be a while. Remember if you want to vote, check the post first for the format stuff so my vote robot can calculate your stuff correctly. Thanks.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It says something about your purity that you didn't even consider giving the slightly under dressed witch the tentacled fish. :allears:

Also, yay my name was picked!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

: What I really love are people who come and take lots of baths! And, of course I hate Peeping Toms who look into the women’s bath.

Please tell me you can't actually have Donnel look into the women's bath.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inflatablefish posted:

If memory serves, any time you try to go into the other entrance Melody gripes at you and you lose relationship points.

There's no "peek on the girls bathing" scene, thank god. The Rune Factory series didn't get to those levels of :japan: until at least the third game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
RF.png

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Is it possible to cast escape twice (once to get to the entrance, then leave the dungeon and cast it again) in this game to return to your house, or is that limited to later versions?

At first I was confused why we were intentionally collapsing all the time, but IIRC there is one way you're rewarded for doing that in RF1.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Rawkking posted:

Is it possible to cast escape twice (once to get to the entrance, then leave the dungeon and cast it again) in this game to return to your house, or is that limited to later versions?

At first I was confused why we were intentionally collapsing all the time, but IIRC there is one way you're rewarded for doing that in RF1.

Don't you get healed up if you faint?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Roro posted:

Don't you get healed up if you faint?

You get healed up if you sleep too. Does fainting not move the time to the morning of the next day?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I haven't played the game, but the impression I get is that the only difference between fainting and sleeping is that with sleeping you have to manually go back to your house, whereas with fainting you get teleported to the hospital.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

inflatablefish posted:

Thankfully you cannot do this.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't played the game, but the impression I get is that the only difference between fainting and sleeping is that with sleeping you have to manually go back to your house, whereas with fainting you get teleported to the hospital.

There's no penalty for fainting, except that instead of waking up at 6:00 AM you wake up at 9:00 AM. And yeah, in the hospital, not your house. I actually prefer that because you don't have to wait for shops to open.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Finally got the time to do my bachelorette talk. I don't honestly think it's worth linking to, but if you want to go ahead. So, most of these nice young ladies do show up in later games in the series.
Rune Factory Frontier, one of the sequels to this game, starts off with this same main character passing out all over again, but in a new village, because Mist just sort of walked off one day. Mist even gives him a house in the new town, despite the fact that she doesn't actually own it. So, obviously, Mist is in that title, but she also is arguably present in Rune Factory 4 in the character Ms. Trupin. She talks in a very similar manner, and in a town event where cameo characters act like the main character from their game, Ms. Trupin is the person who acts like Raguna. As well, Trupin is a pretty easy rearrangement of turnip, which is something Mist loves to a memetic degree.

Rosetta also appears in Frontier, where her arc is all about her new shop location and her intense desire to drive the locals out of business. The local store owner deserves to be driven out though, because his stock is terrible and his hours are sparse. She actually gets a lot of development put into her friendship with Mist and her relationship with her father, which is pretty nice.

Melody shows up in town once you find a hot water spring inside the giant floating stone whale that is central to Frontiers plot. She then opens up a hot spring in town, with it being unknown if she is using the whale water. But her grandpa shows up in the game and he frequently gets drunk in the bath and poses philosophical questions to you, which is pretty rad. Her plot line is literally just take baths a bunch and talk about taking baths.

Bianca shows up in town every summer after a certain point, to vacation in a huge mansion and look down on rural people. She has a lot of bugs associated with her, such as brushing non existent pets, frequently requesting a food item that isn't actually in the game, a few spelling errors in dialogue. But, she can give you free diamonds in a few events. Unfortunately, her appearance is sullied by the fact that she does not bring Jasper with her, and if you marry her in Frontier Jasper won't even show up for the wedding.

Tabatha, of course, shows up whenever Bianca does, and she will actually leave the mansion making her a far more convenient character to interact with. Her plot line for the game revolves around her family situation, her home town, and her little sister moving in with her. Her little sister is uniformly the best character for being a smart rear end and for having her favorite gift be the failed dish from cooking.

Lara shows up in the town to be the village doctor and to pursue religious studies at the church there. I honestly can't recall her plot line, can't find it online, and don't feel like replaying all of Frontier just to research it for this post. Frontier is a bit easier on the rune points and status effects, and the church is out of the way so you will hardly ever talk to Lara unless you make a point of it.

Sharron, Mei, and the spoilers candidate don't show up in Frontier, presumably because they are all older characters and thus hard to make kawaii in 3d.

Tori does not show up, and I vaguely recall an interview wherein a developer said she was just terribly unpopular.

Felicity does not show up, presumably having died of her fantasy tuberculosis. Like, even Tori gets mentioned in some dialogue you can get about the town from RF1, but Felicity is never spoken of. Traumatic.

Of course, since Frontier was on the Wii and had no way of taking save information from a game of Rune Factory 1, all marriages are null and void. Doesn't matter if you married Mist, in Frontier she no longer likes you at all and you must re-woo her. Or you can marry someone different, with no one caring.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

If they'd really wanted to, they could have set up something like Pokemon Battle Revolution, which could connect to the Sinnoh Gen 4 games. But as you said, doing so would have meant you were locked into a marriage without getting to know the new girls.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So! We've got monsters now. I imagine next time we'll find out what they can do for us, which will probably be wildly disproportionate to the amount of time and effort it takes to improve them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

So! We've got monsters now. I imagine next time we'll find out what they can do for us, which will probably be wildly disproportionate to the amount of time and effort it takes to improve them.

Sadly, I'm 90% certain that bees didn't start actually giving you honey as a harvestable product until RF3. :sigh:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You would be 100% wrong. You get honey by using the Basket on the wasps in this game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gnoman posted:

You would be 100% wrong. You get honey by using the Basket on the wasps in this game.

poo poo, you can? Good, they're useful still! (I don't know why I thought otherwise; maybe because starting at 3 they just... generated it, no harvest required, ala chicken eggs in these types of games)

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I've never fainted in RF2 but from 3 on there is a HUGE fee for fainting, so seeing this penalty fee fainting makes me kinda sad.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

I'll be showing that off next time, yeah. I'll probably be taking Dante, Kate, or OhGod into Toros with me. All monsters will fight alongside you (But only one at a time), some can give you food, and some can help water and harvest your farm. Of our current set, which I'll probably go over again in the update in case people don't want to read my babbling in these posts:

Kate can harvest crops
OhGod will give us Honey if we...uh...put a basket under it.
Dante won't do poo poo.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 19, 2016

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Dante won't do poo poo.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 12: Honey For Nothing, Fish For Free

Donnel’s back from unconsciousness, let’s do some more Factorying. I’m still comfortable with taking my sweet time waiting for some crops to grow before I really try to dive into the depths of Toros, but last time we acquired some Monster partners, and I’d like to let them show their stuff.

First, though, Donnel finds religion. I actually came here hoping to start a sidequest, but I got my days wrong, that only happens on Holidays. I think that’s really the only thing that ever happens at the church aside from marriage. Poor Wesley. Let’s drop by Neumann’s, since there are two new items we can snag there.

Uh, what? We had never discussed this, Felicity.

: This is a brush. Press the B button to prepare it and use it to brush the monster. From now on, you should be able to get along with monsters better.

: Thank you very much!

I mean, okay. So, the Brush raises the affection levels of your monsters at the cost of some RP. Affection improves the quality of the products of monsters that make them, and I believe it might also boost combat stats?

You’d be welcome to come with but you’re dying of wizard flu or something.

: It’s a basket. You can use it with monsters that lay eggs or make honey.

: Thank you very much!

We’ve already got a friend who can use this.

Inside PARTS, we have the rare wild Tabatha not standing on a staircase all day.

They really suck, it’s like 1 Defense, don’t even bother, friend.

So uh, here’s why Grazing Grass is also a pain. It costs 600 for the 3x3 square. I don’t remember if it regrows, if it does, that might be worth it, but you still have to water and chop it every day. Again, maybe better planted in caves.

This is what the inside of the hut looks like. Yes, it is, in fact, bigger on the inside.

I fish for the basket we got from Neumann as Kate holds an arrow to Dante’s neck. Don’t do that, Kate.

Oh hey, OhGod just gave us some free honey!

Honey is only accessible this way, and it never improves in quality with Affection. That said, 300G is a decent amount early game, and I believe some recipes later require it, so you’ll definitely want at least one Bee monster on your farm. You can get new honey once every 4 days.

So I’m trying to pet my monsters but uh

It’s not working.

I’m doing something stupid here, see if you can spot it.

Anyway, I think it’s time we headed back to Toros, with a partner in tow.

When you get a monster to join you, you are forcibly Orb’d out of the hut. I imagine this is just to avoid some weird AI bugs or something.

Alright, Kate’s joined our party.

You can check your current companion’s stats on the pause screen. HP, ATK, and Def should be pretty self explanatory. The 4 square grid is, I believe, for elemental attacks, although Kate has none. Friendship is how much Kate likes us (not at all.), and the Ability box shows off any special abilities. Kate can inflict a silence with her bow. Allegedly.

Into the Cave!

Ah gently caress wrong button.

Okay, trying again.

Kate, thankfully is smart enough not to step on these poison tiles. She’ll also sit back and snipe from a range, doing fairly little damage, but it does help.

I’m still lovely at fighting the Demons.

Always appreciate more of these.

Just caring for the crops now.

Kate got stuck on a stump.

I wanted to try and show how much damage Kate was doing here but my mad SKILL UPZ got in the way.

While I’m here, I’m going to get some mining minerals. Always useful, that. We’re going to need nicer tools if we want to make a lot of the higher end items.

Still, Scrap Iron shows up, much to my chagrin.

Good shot, Kate.

Now that’s how it’s done.

So, this is the furthest west we’ve gone in the cave. If people would like me to start making some lovely MSPaint maps of these, let me know, although if you’ve read the earlier updates you know the quality to expect. But what’s in here?

AH gently caress A WIZARD

ABORT

So, uh, admittedly that was, again, a wrong button. Thankfully it doesn’t boot you out of the cave. Also check out the description of that spell. The Grand Mage has a great name.

It turns out Escape-ing also doesn’t reset the HP of the spawners, I had it down in one hit and the wizard didn’t even show up. Those guys are called “Little Mages”, and they’re kinda...goat looking dudes? Kinda hard to tell on an early DS game.

Heading North and Kate’s immediately dashing into danger. What’s she after?

Oh gently caress. A laser elemental.

So this is a “Shindra”, and it’s hella annoying. They have one attack, a channeled blast of water that goes in a straight line, but it does heavy damage and comes out quick. It can also heal itself. It would be handy if we could turn some of its moves on ourselves….(hinthint i’m almost definitely recruiting a Shindra)

Yikes, 37 Damage from a single blast. That’s about double the damage of a Demon poke.

Luring out the attack and strafing is about the only way to gain any ground on these foes.

One room north we get a nice little iceberg, but I’m more concerned with something else right now.

RETURN OF LITTLE MAGE

I hosed off into the corner and decided to let Kate duel it.

She’s hitting for about 14 on this guy, which is respectable. Still, I never saw him get Sealed, sadly, that would have ruined him.

Kate killed one, but another immediately spawned and this time the tactical retreat was entirely on purpose.

Well, that was a productive trip.

Farewell, Kate. Thanks for your assistance.

I stopped by Leo’s to sell off some stuff, and to check something.

Still staring longingly at this thing.

I would like a better ‘ammer. We could use one to find the Crystals that are useful upgrade materials and gifts for a certain NPC people in the thread seem to like.

I have 3 Iron. Dammit.

Here’s a prime shot of Rosetta looking into my shipping box and being disappointed yet again.

Well, let’s while away the rest of the day with our friend the antisocial specter.

Some things will never change.

I am the most skilled fisherman.

I am so skilled I collapse into Sharron’s model as I faint from exhaustion out of just how skilled I am.

“Also you clipped through someone that was hosed up”

Okay, sure, but Edward…

Wanna buy some fish?

Since it’s a Holiday, Ivan’s in town.

He doesn’t seem to be a fan of small talk.

Ivan’s stock changes each week in a month.

The Shelves will store items for you. This is critical later, but right now, Donnel’s inventory is large enough that I really don’t care about it yet.

As for the table set, I think it’s literally useless. Just decor.

So I bought nothing from Ivan. NOW, though, I can start that sidequest.

To the church!

Tori’s not involved, but we’ve seen so little of her I figured we might as well get some dialog from her.

It’s Neumann we want.

: If I could have done that, Sabrina wouldn’t be so angry!

: Did you anger Sabrina?

What the gently caress does this even mean

So, anyway, that kicks off the longest side quest in the game. Also one with a pretty interesting payoff. For the next step, we’ll need to coax Sabrina into giving us some information, but she won’t do it for just anyone.

Alright, now I’m brushing properly. If you didn’t notice before, I was trying to brush these guys with the Friendship Glove earlier, and that doesn’t work. Whoops.

OhGod is going to join me this time.

Interestingly, his stats are flat out better than Kate’s. He can also inflict poison and get crits. Not bad at all.

this goes poorly

Off to Carmite to water the ol’ cucumbers first, and since we’ve seen so many interesting monsters in Toros, I’d like another hut…So I’m going to chop some stumps as well.

Also this orc archer hit me with one arrow, did 1 damage, and Sealed me again. Perhaps Donnel was simply never meant to be a wizard.

Yeah, chopping wood still beats the hell out of my HP/RP. I can’t decide if I want to prioritize upgrading the Axe again, Hammer, or Fishing Rod first.

...Donnel what are you even talking about?

Oh. Yeah, you can’t take monsters into town. We’ll need to go back for OhGod before heading for Toros.

Chatting with Camus outside the bathhouse wields...little information.

Post bath, holy poo poo it’s Lara outside of the Clinic. This is a day for rare villager sightings.

Alright, cool, Lara.

Okay, so, uh. I walked in here without the sword equipped and backed off to grab it. The satans aggro’d onto OhGod and decimated him. Farewell, insect pal. He’s not permadead or anything, just back at the hut.

Still hate fighting those drat demons. However, I am on a quest for a rather valuable monster, and I must press on, even without my buzzing buddy.

Back in the first room to the west, this breakable rock hides a passage…

Also a Skill Up.

But more to the point, hot drat, look at this field. So much nice poo poo in here.

I’ll definitely be back, but first, in the top right...a passage to a room with a one of a kind enemy.

Sheep! They’re called “Woollys” in this game.

They just kinda...flop at you. I just went ahead and cleared them out this time, because I’m missing something crucial before I recruit one. A name. Submit your best sheep jokes.

The rest of my HP bar was invested in choppin’

And I think that’s enough for now. I know these are sort of slow, plodding updates, but this is kinda how Rune Factory plays if you don’t rush it. If people would rather I try to speed things up, let me know.

Also we missed Neumann’s birthday.

Marriage Poll is still open, and Now accepting names for Little Mages, and ESPECIALLY Shindras and Woolys

Thanks for reading another of Donnel’s amazing adventures, like “getting a basket”.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

We have 7 characters, yes?

BaadCmp as short for Bad Company?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Shaun the Sheep!!!

Also, just wanna say really enjoying the LP so far!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Did Felicity tie her glasses to her hair, or are those circles a decoration on her clothing? :stare:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

AweStriker posted:

We have 7 characters, yes?

LordHippoman posted:

Well, unfortunately, the monster name limit is a piddly five letters. That sucks.

:(

Given that, the only possible choice for the lil' mage is Egam :v: , and Micah for the Woolly.

Comparing notes a bit, I'm a few days further into 1st Spring than you are, and that's taking about 7-8 hours (3 streams, 2.5-ish hours each). Seems like RF3 tosses in a lot of stuff to shake things up: they had a fishing contest, a sheep-shearing minigame (where you equip nonlethal weapons and try to combo a giant Woolly, probably my favorite bit of the game so far), and so on. Plus the request board has more interaction with the characters besides their primary shtick (well, some of them...). I've also bashed my head at the starter dungeon about 6 times now, but you don't seem to lose much time at all and it looks like you don't get charged for passing out in the first dungeon, so I've been comforting myself with the idea this is expected behavior. :sweatdrop: I haven't been able to recruit monsters yet, though.

And don't worry about Sharron, if anime has taught me anything, it's that collapsing on someone is the ultimate ice-breaker. It would be funny if the games factored things like that (I'm going to have to give sashimi to the mermaid in RF3 and see if that actually lowers hearts :D) instead of just pure straightforward materialism, but they're realistic like that. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wayne posted:

(I'm going to have to give sashimi to the mermaid in RF3 and see if that actually lowers hearts :D)

Unless it's made out of squid (something something tentacle joke :japan:) I can pre-emptively confirm that yes. Yes, it does. You murdered her friends. Murderer. (Squid is ok to murder because squid is evil something something tentacle joke :japan:)

Seconding that we name our first sheep Micah. Self-referential humor is almost like a pun, right?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 21, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Call the sheep Paws.For, uh, ultimate reasons.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Good thing the Grand Mage's first name isn't Draziw..

Also if Micah wasn't such a good name for the wooly I'd suggest Sheep.

For the little mage call him Vivi.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Grand Mage grand mage eh. That is some level of lazy, hah.

stone cold posted:

Shaun the Sheep!!!

Shain gets my vote too.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

stone cold posted:

Shaun the Sheep!!!

This is the only possible answer!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Wayne posted:

Given that, the only possible choice for the lil' mage is Egam :v:

It's a Lil Mage, not a Grand Mage, you idiot.
egam.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I vote we name the sheep Woolliam or Woolhelm. Farming puns are the only acceptable answer

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Did Felicity tie her glasses to her hair, or are those circles a decoration on her clothing? :stare:

I looked up Felicity's official artwork and uh

They appear to be, like, cuffs over her top? I'm not entirely sure. Her hair may have been arrested.

Wayne posted:

And don't worry about Sharron, if anime has taught me anything, it's that collapsing on someone is the ultimate ice-breaker.

does anime say anything about giving someone like 5 boots you found in a river because that's the real make/break factor here.

ousire posted:

I vote we name the sheep Woolliam or Woolhelm. Farming puns are the only acceptable answer

Sadly, we only have 5 letters to name things. I'll pop that in the OP because I just kinda offhandedly mentioned it in an update and that was pretty silly of me.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

I looked up Felicity's official artwork and uh

They appear to be, like, cuffs over her top? I'm not entirely sure. Her hair may have been arrested.
Looks like they are two rings which are basically used to keep the little cape on top of her. Each ring connects to the other as well as to an edge of the cape.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Little Mages: Egam
Shindras: Sqrt
Woolys: Ship

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Alavaria posted:

Looks like they are two rings which are basically used to keep the little cape on top of her. Each ring connects to the other as well as to an edge of the cape.

Now, you see, that makes way more sense, but this is Rune Factory, so that might actually count against it.

Darth TNT posted:

Little Mages: Egam
Shindras: Sqrt
Woolys: Ship

I'm glad everyone is paying proper tribute to the Grand Mage.

Also just wanted to mention that work is kinda getting hectic lately, so the next update might be delayed, as I sadly can't take a day off for "need to go pet a wizard until it joins my team". Not more than once a year, at least.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Now, you see, that makes way more sense, but this is Rune Factory, so that might actually count against it.

I'm glad everyone is paying proper tribute to the Grand Mage.

Also just wanted to mention that work is kinda getting hectic lately, so the next update might be delayed, as I sadly can't take a day off for "need to go pet a wizard until it joins my team". Not more than once a year, at least.

Sounds like you have a terrible manager. :colbert: Did you tell him that petting the wizard might help you get a girlfriend? Alternatively, did you try petting the manager to make him your friend?

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 28, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 13: Requiem For A Sheep

We’re nearly ready for a full clear of Toros Cave, but there’s a giant, sheep shaped hole on our farm. It’s time for SheepQuest2016.

The first step in acquiring our wooly pal is heading to Toros.

The Sweet Potatoes and Eggplants are coming along nicely. Honestly, I think this is how you’re meant to do each cave, wait for crops to grow in each feel, keep your RP topped up, but it’s really more trouble than it’s worth.

Also yes the Demons did paralyze me again, it was a great time.

Before we snag a sheep, however, we’ll want a wizard.

Unfortunately my dodging skills are severely hamstrung by my paralysis and general incompetence.

Still, I prevail, and...we’re not naming it MAMA.

While I loved Zanzibar Ham’s Vivi suggestion, because Vivi rules, I just have to respect the name Wayne and Roro championed, in honor of our Grand Mage.

So, since I’m nearly dead here, might as well mine until I’m very very nearly dead.

I slowly hobbled over to Leo’s, paralyzed and sealed, to give him this.

Leo it’s in my loving hands don’t get semantic on me.

Fine.

Well, off to the Clinic again...or I could get sidetracked.

Sidetracked it is!

Two huts now, and Camus has something nice for us. He’d give us this anytime after we got our first monster, by the way, it’s just a coincidence I got it after two huts.

Camus is down with SheepQuest.

Don’t taunt me. I hate this town. Nobody understands Donnel’s plight.

If one more villager insults Donnel he’s going to snap and let OhGod loose in the Town Square.

We were informed. Several times.

Well, there go the status ailments.

Finally, the Dream Team of Hut 1 has assembled.

Kate, the Orc Archer. Master of espionage.
egam, the Little Mage. The brains of the team.
Dante, the Demon. The hardboiled anti-hero who doesn’t play by the rules.
Also OhGod, the Bee, who is a loving bee.

Oh wait I nearly forgot something.

Cucumbers still not done.

You might call this a close call. I call it “RuneFactory1.png”

Well, that’s enough near-death for one day. Tomorrow is the hour of the Sheep.

Dante is going to join us today. His intimidating qualities should frighten any sheep poachers away.

Goddamn, Dante’s got a stat block there. And some solid abilities. This is going to go gr

He’s almost dead. At least he distracted his Demon bretheren for me.

Oh also he stepped on a poison tile.

Farewell, Dante. You hosed up. So far Kate is still our most successful partner.

Alright, now just past these rocks to the sheep.

Past these rocks.

With my hammer.

Well I hosed that up.

Alright, just gonna take out my frustration on a wizard.

Also might as well farm these guys. Not only do the Shindras have a certain rare drop that’s really drat good, they have an ability I didn’t show off last time.

Here we go, this blue mist covers them…

And they heal to full. It’s a little annoying, but nothing to worry about if you keep up the combos.

Oh, also the room to the north has Ghosts.

Ghosts steal some HP with each hit, like the ants. Also like the ants, I have again been sealed.

Do you see why magic sucks in this game?

Thankfully, taking him down got me back to full HP, so may as well press on.

To the east is a huge tall room with some more Demons. Quite a step up from last cave’s constant Orcs.

Even further east! I’m starting to get lost in here.

I don’t even know what this spawner was I killed it so fast. The smart money is on “Demons”.

Oh, this one is Little Mages. This room has two spawners!

Oh no more apple boys

Finally we reach a door. So, I could go through this door to floor 2 if I had destroyed all the Floor 1 spawners. Unfortunately, the Wooly counts.

Exeunt, pursued by a Ghost.

Oh, here’s the other side of the gate in the first Rino room. Seems like there’s nothing to it but rocks, though.

Well. That was close. Only one way to celebrate a good spelunkin’.

SOME SWEET rear end NEW FISH BABY YEAHHH (that sheep block is really getting to me)

Not too bad.

Then Donnel went home and collapsed trying to pet OhGod.

...By the bee?

I’m not the one who never leaves her drat clinic.

Anyway, let’s go ahead and pet Leo by accident. Now that things are nice and awkward, we can reclaim our prize.

Finally, it is Sheep Time.

Dante was a failure, maybe egam can help us out.

He’s a wizard. He’s got wizard stats.

Also he’s smart enough to stay at a distance.

Oh hey, the Sweet Potatoes are ready. Gonna leave them for now, though, want that Rune for an actual run of the cave.

Eggplants are still gonna be a while, though.

Also egam just trampled on a poison tile.

Thankfully it works very slowly on monsters.

Look at this Iron Hammer. Finally we can defeat Volvagia and save Darunia.

Also, Silver! The next tier of ores, and pretty decent to sell too, if we're in a real pinch with money.

Still not free of Scrap Iron. Never free of Scrap Iron.

Alright, get pumped, egam, we’re goin’ in.

Uh egam it would help if you didn’t immolate the sheep.

Oh geez there’s too many of ‘em!

Finally, mission complete.

I’m sorry, I didn’t get the Micah reference. So we’re going with stone cold’s much beloved suggestion of “Shaun”.

Unfortunately the sheep are persistent. My faithful ally egam shoots fire while I fumble around trying to pull out my drat sword.

In the end, we stand victorious.

Well done, egam. Well done.

So uh, here’s Shaun.

The shears are, of course, meant for Woolys. I don’t think they work on anything else.

Making Shaun naked gets us a prize, however.

Woolys are the only source of this fur in the game. It can be made into Yarn with a machine bought from Ivan, and it has 3 levels, small, medium, and large. Since Shaun has no respect for us yet, he will only produce Small Fur.

Now that we’ve claimed it’s most valuable treasure, a sheep, we’ll begin to finish off Toros next time.

Also the SPRING FESTIVAL (we can’t do anything with it yet)

Now accepting names for Ghosts (though I probably won't get one they're pretty useless)

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 1, 2016

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Well now that you went with another name: Micah is the default name of RF3's protagonist who is half wooly(Fantasy genetics whoo!). Allowing you to go for some downright absurd offspring combos with some of the ladies if the devs had put in any more effort into it than "minimally viable"

As for naming your potential ghost problem I suggest naming it Henry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Let's go with Casper

• Locked thread