Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How so? It's the same show since day one. I don't think you understand what that term means.

I mean, c'mon, we still haven't had the scene where Jake finds out Charles has never seen Die Hard.

Something something Simpsons, something something, Supernatural, something something Dark Side, something something complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

On next week's episode Jake and Holt use Boyle's time machine to stop Rosa from blasting off in the broken rocket that's supposed to take her and Pimento to their International Space Station honeymoon. Gina and Sgt. Jeffords try to write a book.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

On next week's episode Jake and Holt use Boyle's time machine to stop Rosa from blasting off in the broken rocket that's supposed to take her and Pimento to their International Space Station honeymoon. Gina and Sgt. Jeffords try to write a book.

You appear to have this show and Castle mixed up

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I will remember this season as having the most convoluted plot contrivances to cover a pregnancy ever. I salute thee.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How so? It's the same show since day one. I don't think you understand what that term means.

I mean, c'mon, we still haven't had the scene where Jake finds out Charles has never seen Die Hard.

Jumping the shark now pretty much means "I don't like watching this show anymore"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Jumping the shark now pretty much means "I don't like watching this show anymore"

It's always been not the best term, because it encourages a mentality where you're waiting for the show you like to start sucking so you don't get fooled into still enjoying it. TV shows do have declines, obviously, but it's sort of silly when people rush to be the ones to declare "shark jumped".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's always been not the best term, because it encourages a mentality where you're waiting for the show you like to start sucking so you don't get fooled into still enjoying it. TV shows do have declines, obviously, but it's sort of silly when people rush to be the ones to declare "shark jumped".
This. In order for a show to jump the shark it needs to have a dramatic decline and a moment you can point to as the definitive "this is where it gets bad" point. There aren't that many shows that do it. The Simpsons comes to mind. B-99 definitely hasn't done that. It's actually been very consistent for a sitcom - at its worst it's spinning its wheels. One reason Parks and Rec was the stronger show, but Brooklyn 99 doesn't have its lows, either.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

WhyteRyce posted:

I know and it just bugs the poo poo out of me when I see it, so I make it a point to call people out when they do it. Usually there is no answer as to 'when' it happened, the show usually just 'sucks now'.

I would argue that this season hasn't been as good as season 2, but it's still an immensely better sitcom than anything else out there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I would argue that this season hasn't been as good as season 2, but it's still an immensely better sitcom than anything else out there.

Just off the top of my head, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Broad City and Archer are all better. Not that there's anything wrong with Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it's just not the best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Woah, Archer stopped sucking?

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Woah, Archer stopped sucking?

It's not terrible anymore, but it's not great like the first few seasons, and it's nowhere near as funny as B99.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a lot of really funny shows on TV, and B99 is one of them. I wouldn't say there's any single stand out right now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It's not a sitcom, but the tone and visual gags of Limitless bring me the most joy every week (that CBS airs the drat show).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Comrade Fakename posted:

I will remember this season as having the most convoluted plot contrivances to cover a pregnancy ever. I salute thee.

Frasier hid Jane Leeves' pregnancy by having Daphne get fatter and fatter, while Niles (Niles and Daphne had recently started finally dating at this time in the show's run) was so in love he failed to notice. Finally, when Frasier confronted Niles about this, he realized it was true, and they both confronted Daphne, who then went to fat camp (until the actress came back from maternity leave).

So...sorry, it can't beat that. No shame there, though. It's some stiff competition.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sgt. Jeffords try to write a book.

What, the kids book for his daughters doesn't count?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Frasier hid Jane Leeves' pregnancy by having Daphne get fatter and fatter, while Niles (Niles and Daphne had recently started finally dating at this time in the show's run) was so in love he failed to notice. Finally, when Frasier confronted Niles about this, he realized it was true, and they both confronted Daphne, who then went to fat camp (until the actress came back from maternity leave).

So...sorry, it can't beat that. No shame there, though. It's some stiff competition.

I don't know why people had a problem with that plotline. It might have seemed odd at first but the episode Daphne Returns dug into the reasons behind it and the nature of their relationship in a way that I thought worked really well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

You're not a true member of the fandom unless you believe this, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BreakAtmo posted:

I don't know why people had a problem with that plotline. It might have seemed odd at first but the episode Daphne Returns dug into the reasons behind it and the nature of their relationship in a way that I thought worked really well.

I'll be honest, I don't remember much about when she came back. Just that it felt really weird when they sent her away, in a, "You're pregnant? poo poo. Alright, we'll just make your character fat. Don't worry, she'll get better." kind of way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

It's better than what they did on on New Girl, where they just completely wrote the main character out for several episodes while replacing her with a goddamn terrible storyline starring Megan Fox.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Double post somehow?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

It's better than what they did on on New Girl, where they just completely wrote the main character out for several episodes while replacing her with a goddamn terrible storyline starring Megan Fox.

That storyline made me give up on New Girl. Haven't watched since. So that wins my "Worst Pregnancy Cover-Up" award.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

That storyline made me give up on New Girl. Haven't watched since. So that wins my "Worst Pregnancy Cover-Up" award.

You're dumb because it was way better without that hipster MPDG bullshit shoehorned in.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You're dumb because it was way better without that hipster MPDG bullshit shoehorned in.

You're entitled to your opinion, but within about fifteen seconds of Megan Fox appearing on the show it just veered straight into the most hackneyed, terrible sit-com cliches ever. New Girl was never, like, fantastic television, but that was just some straight up sub-Two and a Half Men level stuff going on right there.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

You're entitled to your opinion, but within about fifteen seconds of Megan Fox appearing on the show it just veered straight into the most hackneyed, terrible sit-com cliches ever. New Girl was never, like, fantastic television, but that was just some straight up sub-Two and a Half Men level stuff going on right there.

Megan Fox is hot...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I'll be honest, I don't remember much about when she came back. Just that it felt really weird when they sent her away, in a, "You're pregnant? poo poo. Alright, we'll just make your character fat. Don't worry, she'll get better." kind of way.

Long story short, the return episode has Niles and Daphne having a fight when she mentions how her spa therapist put the blame for her weight gain on the knowledge that Niles had held a torch for her for seven years and the pressure that put on her. Frasier and Niles have a long discussion complete with flashbacks of the major Niles&Daphne moments, with Frasier pointing out just how telling it is that Niles just didn't notice that Daphne had gained 60 pounds - he wasn't seeing her, he was just seeing the perfect goddess in the red dress. The episode is a turning point in their relationship, where Niles finally starts actually seeing Daphne for the wonderful-but-flawed human being she is instead of his fantasy woman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megan Fox is hot...

Parachute account gets it ^

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fox was an awkward fit at first, but she was clicking by the end of her run.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Megan Fox Arc was worth it for Winston & Nick tying themselves in knots deciding who is going to sleep with her.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Finally caught up.

So Figgis is Pemento, right?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Shakugan posted:

Finally caught up.

That was my initial thought, but it really doesn't jive with the show. They could make that work, but they would have to really work at it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shakugan posted:

Finally caught up.

Wait, what?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Yeah same here, I still intend to catch up but man that sucked all the momentum out of the season.

Megan Fox is hot...

Well good news because that is the entirety of the plotline for the 4 episode arc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shakugan posted:

Finally caught up.

Had the same thought. I don't know how it would work, but something about the way the hidden voice phone call at the end came off made me think of Pemento.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah same here, I still intend to catch up but man that sucked all the momentum out of the season.

Well good news because that is the entirety of the plotline for the 4 episode arc.

Those episodes of new girl were much better than expected. so much so that when Z.D. returned it was actually kind of awkward. The show might actually be better off without her.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

Those episodes of new girl were much better than expected. so much so that when Z.D. returned it was actually kind of awkward. The show might actually be better off without her.

I'll agree that ZD is one of the weaker aspects of her own show (depending on how much you like her very specific brand of humor) but at the same time the Megan Fox episodes revolved entirely around her being overwhelmingly, hypnotically sexy to everyone and that was the one joke. And while I'm not one of these goons who is going to lie and act like she's unattractive, it's also not like she's ridiculously more attractive than Cece or any of her model friends or whatever. It just got immediately old.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Shakugan posted:

Finally caught up.

Figgis is Boyle.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

anotherone posted:

Figgis is Boyle.

No way, if that was the case he would threaten Jake and himself so they could be together in witness protection.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Figgis is Chris Parnell.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

twistedmentat posted:

Figgis is Chris Parnell.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it.

If only they hadn't used him as Jake's lawyer girlfriend's boss last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X13Fen posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking it.

If only they hadn't used him as Jake's lawyer girlfriend's boss last season.

Oh gently caress how could I forget that that was a complete slam dunk of an episode.

• Locked thread