Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Kaubocks posted:

Quote some section of this post

This is a great LP of a great game I'd like to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

1) Be cool.

:kamina:

EDIT:Also yeah this game owns and I'd love to play it.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Kaubocks posted:

Well this is interesting... I was going through the keys I own through Humble Bundle and apparently I have an extra code for Tales from the Borderlands? It's not a Steam key. It seems to be redeemable through Telltale's website. I'm going to be honest that I have no idea how getting a game through there will work, though I can imagine it will involve setting yourself up with a Telltale account. Maybe they have their own download client? Again, I don't know.

Anyway long story short, I don't need this key so I'm starting a contest for anyone who might want it! Here are the rules:

1) Be cool.
2) Don't already own the game.
3) Be honest about rule number two.

Quote some section of this post if you want in and I'll pick someone at random sometime tomorrow.

That'd be cool. I'm in.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Took all your names, stuck 'em in a metaphorical hat, and had one chosen a random. Congrats Regrettable on winning a free copy of Tales from the Borderlands! (I hope. I mean this Telltale code surely must do something.) Let me know how you'd like it to be delivered to you.

Also, I've recorded footage of the B-Team. I'll get that stitched together and uploaded sometime in the next few days. I also have tentative plans for a second bonus video but we'll see how that pans out.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is no one else slightly worried that Rhys and Fiona just up and get teleported away at the end?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Took all your names, stuck 'em in a metaphorical hat, and had one chosen a random. Congrats Regrettable on winning a free copy of Tales from the Borderlands! (I hope. I mean this Telltale code surely must do something.) Let me know how you'd like it to be delivered to you.

Also, I've recorded footage of the B-Team. I'll get that stitched together and uploaded sometime in the next few days. I also have tentative plans for a second bonus video but we'll see how that pans out.

Wow, thank you sir! if you could send it to my email address that would be great.

e: code redeemed

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 29, 2016

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Great LP. Kaubocks. I held off on this game even though I've done multiple playthoughs of all the other Borderlands games but your LP sold me on it so I picked the game up after watching you play through episode 1 and I absolutely loved it.

Also, how has this not been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgqW2p21MY

Zeond fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 28, 2016

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hats off Kaubocks for the fantastic lets play. Like you I played a ton of the games the year this came out and I agree, its still one of my favorites, threre's just something about it that makes me break out into a smile whenever I think about all the fun zanniness that takes place. The charters, the action , it all came together so well. Favorite moment has to be the Power Rangers/Voltron style end boss by far, the second I saw that I couldn't help but laugh.

Well, now I've been inspired to play through again, so thank you for the motivation :)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ZeusCannon posted:

Is no one else slightly worried that Rhys and Fiona just up and get teleported away at the end?

I am sure they just went traveling, its fine

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Telltale Games has a retrospective for "Tales from the Borderlands" on Youtube. It's pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMm0gN0H9c

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Quiet Python posted:

Telltale Games has a retrospective for "Tales from the Borderlands" on Youtube. It's pretty neat.

I meant to link to this but completely forgot! Everyone please watch this it's really good!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Quiet Python posted:

Oh my god that last scene. I'm actually kinda sad now that we told Vaughn about Jack if that is what would have happened if we didn't. Also what little it showed of Dumpy was pretty funny. If I hadn't already thought that this game deserves two playthroughs at least, this video would have cemented it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Direct2Drive is having a sale on the non-Telltale Borderlands games right now: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/promotion/421

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

I'm okay with this.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Quiet Python posted:

That's a pretty cool video. My favorite part, though, is seeing that the voice actors actually got to share a voice session and act off of each other; it worked so well for the Legacy of Kain series and more games should do that.

And now I want to see voice session outtakes, like there were for Legacy of Kain. Anyone know if those exist for Tales from the Borderlands?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hello friends please don't stop talking about borderlands look I have more content for you!!

Not a whole lot new to say here that I didn't say in the video description. One fun thing to note is I really love how every character operates their fightstick differently. Like Athena is really aggressive with it, Cassius holds the stick and presses the buttons very delicately, and August just punches everything. This is a good game I hope you enjoy this video of cool characters doing cool things!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Loved August being a brawler, and dear god the faces Cassius makes during the button mashing. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
While Cassius' hadoken was great, and Zero's "He did the thing!" was pretty awesome, I think we can all agree that the highlight of that fight was August wailing on the destroyer's groin. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thanks for this LP! Just seeing the first few videos got me to get the game and boy it was great.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Did they change Zer0's voice? It really bothers me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's the same voice actor and filter over his lines, but either they forgot to deepen the pitch on it in post or a bug happened

EDIT: Did some minor research in an AMA on the Telltale forums, in response to Zer0's voice they said "There might be a glitch in the mainframe." Whether they mean there was an actual bug or they are shaping yet another thing going forward into the future of Borderlands is up in the air. Guess we won't find out until BL3.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 2, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Like just yesterday i reminisced with my brother about some old-rear end Tekken game we played that i haven't thought about in a decade. And then Gortys sits down in the middle of the battlefield.

Oh my god, is he- is he gonna do the Yoshimitsu thing? He's gonna do it, isn't he. He's gonna teleport.

YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
August seems like the kinda guy who would be into fighting games if, you know, if he didn't live on Pandora where that is business as usual.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
All the fighting game references really got me going :allears: the whole time. I'm glad no matter who you choose, you still get a great end fight sequence. This is such a good game, you guys. I know you know, I just wanted to say it again.

Kaubocks posted:

it's the same voice actor and filter over his lines, but either they forgot to deepen the pitch on it in post or a bug happened

That's a weird mistake to make, but oh well. Rhys fanboying over him is still fantastic.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

That's a weird mistake to make, but oh well. Rhys fanboying over him is still fantastic.

whoops, thought I'd be fast enough. just edited my post with some sleuthing

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Remember when this game was announced and absolutely no one could believe that it had any potential? This was so incredibly wrong! To be fair, character driven interactive story adventure isn't what I would associate with the borderlands universe. But they really pulled that off. It's just a great game.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Awww it was nice that Team Ninja Science Fist managed to turn Gortys into a Street Fighter combatant. I'm not surprised that Cassius gave her a hadouken and I like how August's fighting style amounted to the Titan Maximum style of "it has a crotch, let's beat on the crotch". I like how there's no wrong choices for Gortys pilot.

except maybe Claptrap 'cuz yeah those missiles were nice but most of them missed

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hostile V posted:

I like how August's fighting style amounted to the Titan Maximum style of "it has a crotch, let's beat on the crotch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnC02KK9PU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This game's success is actually pretty interesting to think about, in terms of Telltale's formula. I think being comedic but with a heart helped a lot, since the downfall of some of their other titles is promising DIFFICULT CHOICES and BIG CONSEQUENCES but then struggling to realize them, since it's actually quite demanding to make branching paths and keep your story coherent. Telltale games from The Walking Dead on have been very character and relationship focused, so making the tone funny and light relieved some of the pressure to make every decision impactful, because you can just enjoy a funny interaction or outcome from your decision as a reward unto itself. When something you do does have follow-up consequences, like who's available for the Gortys mission, it feels like a nice bonus.

They might have also benefited from the expectation game, where people just didn't expect much from Borderlands making this game a pleasant surprise. Contrast Game of Thrones where everyone said the franchise was a natural fit but they definitely struggled in execution. Borderlands itself seems to be a series that's wanted to do more with its story and setting, and they really let Telltale have at it with some big narrative consequences - again, contrast Game of Thrones, where they seemed to be walking on eggshells in someone else's story. It certainly sold me more on the Borderlands series than any of their main games to date, and hopefully they've learned a thing or two they can apply in their next game.

On that note, it seems like a lot of stuff from Tales could easily set up plot pieces or locations for a sequel. Vaughn and the Children of Helios could be a quest-giving hub location, likewise Hollow Point and the Purple Skag. Rhys and Fiona could be tied up in the Vault plot now in any number of ways due to their Traveler jaunt, and that aside they've got Corporation Rebooting and Vault Hunting to be involved in respectively now.

But so help me, Gearbox, if you harm one hair on LB or Gortys's head, we're through!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

:confused: Neither of those characters have hair.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm kinda interested how their Batman game will be. Because that could really go either way. On the one hand they got a ridiculous amount of source material and don't really have to worry about canon to much, but on the other hand; I could imagine DC strongarming them and restricting their creativity. I just hope they don't make it too grimdark. Some parts of that universe are incredibly silly and they should acknowledge that. But to be honest, I don't have high hopes, since it's about making choices as a really predefined character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Telltale has worked with an established DC character before in Wolf Among Us, and that went alright.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
What a long strange ride it was. :allears:

Calk me up as another person who bought Tales because of this lets play, I didn't even wait until the end of the first episode because I snatched it up.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Dolash posted:

On that note, it seems like a lot of stuff from Tales could easily set up plot pieces or locations for a sequel. Vaughn and the Children of Helios could be a quest-giving hub location, likewise Hollow Point and the Purple Skag. Rhys and Fiona could be tied up in the Vault plot now in any number of ways due to their Traveler jaunt, and that aside they've got Corporation Rebooting and Vault Hunting to be involved in respectively now.

But so help me, Gearbox, if you harm one hair on LB or Gortys's head, we're through!

I would bet even money that Loader Bot is a playable Vault Hunter in BL3. Probably as a pet class with Gortys assisting.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Telltale has worked with an established DC character before in Wolf Among Us, and that went alright.

I know Kaubocks did this game because of his love of Borderlands but I would love to see him play through Wolf Among Us. He has an excellent sense of LP style and editing.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
...I think I recognize that huge alien skull that the bandit buggy drives past during the 'recruiting Zero' thing. I feel like I've driven past it once or twice.

I wonder if that's an actual location from a game that they're referencing or if it's just a recognizable prop they re-used.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Rhys's crush on Zer0 is the cutest thing, I swear. :kimchi:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crasical posted:

...I think I recognize that huge alien skull that the bandit buggy drives past during the 'recruiting Zero' thing. I feel like I've driven past it once or twice.

I wonder if that's an actual location from a game that they're referencing or if it's just a recognizable prop they re-used.

Giant alien skulls show up a lot in the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Tendales posted:

Rhys's crush on Zer0 is the second cutest thing after Gortys, I swear. :kimchi:

Fixed that for you. :kimchi:

• Locked thread