Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Can we have a gentlemans agreement to never post again itt after the 40th post? I think I'm 37 or something
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
perfect

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ansel autisms posted:

Anything we can do to get you to stop posting

:rolleye:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

what you want for a title fam?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not sure if I'm happy or ashamed to have started this huge derail.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

SoundMonkey posted:

what you want for a title fam?
Thanks, but my username and photos make it pretty clear I have no creativity whatsoever, I'm happy to sit this one out unless you have a hilarious idea you've been waiting to foist on somebody.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM A BID INTO MY EBAY SNYPER. IT'S JUST GOOD BUSINESS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START MAKING FAT STACKS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JIMLAD. I SNYPE THEM AUCTIONS AND I SNYPE THEM AUCTIONS HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I WIN A USED REALDOLL OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS BIDDING WAR. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES OF THE EBAY EULA AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM A BID INTO MY EBAY SNYPER. IT'S JUST GOOD BUSINESS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START MAKING FAT STACKS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JIMLAD. I SNYPE THEM AUCTIONS AND I SNYPE THEM AUCTIONS HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I WIN A USED REALDOLL OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS BIDDING WAR. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES OF THE EBAY EULA AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

8th-snype posted:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

8th-snype posted:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
:eyepop:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also to update the thread I bought a Rebel G on KEH for $20 and stuck my nifty fifty on it. It's a pretty boss camera. It weighs like 1/10 of a pound.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
So further to stuck part removal chat, here are the results of quarter of an hour with a Dremel on my Zeiss Jena 180mm/2.8 and EOS adapter, and some pliers to peel the ruined adapter off.

I don't recommend this approach for pretty obvious reasons - some small damage to the lens mount, but mainly the huge amounts of ultrafine metal dust that gets everywhere. I suspect this is not good for the lens, but it was either this or be left with a useless couple of kilos of metal and glass. Now mounts fine on my Pentacon Six and no obvious problems with the mechanism!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HookShot posted:

1/10 of a pound.

An objectively good thing that the dumb masses hate because ~oh noes weight equals quality~ *inhales lead dust from weights lovely chinese manufacturer put in to simulate quality*

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

An objectively good thing that the dumb masses hate because ~oh noes weight equals quality~ *inhales lead dust from weights lovely chinese manufacturer put in to simulate quality*

Yeah also my everyday camera is an old 30D that I'm pretty sure I could club someone to death with pretty easily, so I am definitely in favour of cameras that don't weigh a loving ton.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For some strange reason, and I don't know why because the mental institution that I work at is the opposite end of the city, and there are no care in the community programs going on in that area, there is a section of lovely canal in the middle of nowhere which will always have one random paranoid schizophrenic or a junkie on it . Police on bicycles have a theory that there is a drop off point somewhere around there but it's a mile long stretch and they will be damned if they can be arsed looking for it when they got strava times to beat.

and this is why I carry a sony DSLR with minolta big beercan or my D300 with me when I'm out taking photos of friendly ducks and little tweety things on the canal.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

big scary monsters posted:

So further to stuck part removal chat, here are the results of quarter of an hour with a Dremel on my Zeiss Jena 180mm/2.8 and EOS adapter, and some pliers to peel the ruined adapter off.

I don't recommend this approach for pretty obvious reasons - some small damage to the lens mount, but mainly the huge amounts of ultrafine metal dust that gets everywhere. I suspect this is not good for the lens, but it was either this or be left with a useless couple of kilos of metal and glass. Now mounts fine on my Pentacon Six and no obvious problems with the mechanism!

This is fairly interesting as I also have a Pentacon Six Lens with a stuck adapter... Maybeit's something with the adapter or lens mount design? I'm also trying to saw throught it, just with no dremel...

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Hello! I recently switched from Windows to Mac. On windows I used Picasa for basic photo tweaking- cropping, compressing for emails and other use, and renaming in batches, mostly. I just went to download it and found out that Picasa isn't being made/updated any more.

Any recommendations for basic photo management software?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one bundled with OS X is supposed to be a go between of their 'for everyone' software with some of the features of their discontinued pro software. I think, like usual with their v1 overhauls, it probably pissed people off more than attracted to them but you might find it does what you want.

Creative Cloud photography pack is $10/mo and gets you a photoshop and Lightroom license. Most people who aren't 'open source or death' just go for that.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

Yeah also my everyday camera is an old 30D that I'm pretty sure I could club someone to death with pretty easily, so I am definitely in favour of cameras that don't weigh a loving ton.

Do you guys not find that heavier (to a point) is generally easier to hold steady?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Do you guys not find that heavier (to a point) is generally easier to hold steady?

Yeah, but that only really matters if I'm shooting handheld in the 1/15 to 1/30 range. It's a lot of weight to lug around for a very limited set of circumstances where it makes a difference.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Fair enough. I'm probably just paranoid but shooting with light cameras/phones at high shutter speeds I always feel like it's not as sharp as it could have been if it just weighed a little more

This is coming from having either a heavyish dslr or my much lighter galaxy s5, whose camera is complete garbage. It's ok when it decides to focus, when.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a budget of about $200 and a willingness to buy used. What can I buy that's good with low light photography and has interchangeable lenses?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I have a budget of about $200 and a willingness to buy used. What can I buy that's good with low light photography and has interchangeable lenses?

I don't think you'll find anything for that much, certainly not with a lens. KEH.com (where we all shop for used gear) has Nikon D7000 for $328 in 'bargain' condition which will still be totally fine. I would save up more and do that, then find some cheaper prime lenses locally. I found a 50mm/1.8d prime for ~$40USD on my craigslist.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For $200 your best bet is prolly some m43 body and a fast prime

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Or a ME Super with a 50mm and a few rolls of Portra 400 :v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Look for a panasonic M4/3 body with the kit lens on it, it's one of the best kit lenses out there. Bargain wise you want the Panasonic Gf3. It's identical to the GF5 in every way but they shifted a chip around so it didn't overheat during long video use. Random link showing the average buy it now price of $140 with kit, with the change you can pick up a a second hand sigma prime to go with it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-GF3-12-1-MP-Black-Digital-Camera-w-14-42mm-Lens-/231858371115

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I have a question about sensor crop modes/digital teleconverter/ex tele conv. If I'm shooting wildlife and am unable to fill my frame with the subject and unable to zoom with my feet for obvious reasons, then my options are to crop in post or set a crop factor in-camera to reach a higher effective focal length at the cost of smaller file size. If both of these methods result in a 8MP image (from a 16MP camera), is the 2nd one better?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Look for a panasonic M4/3 body with the kit lens on it, it's one of the best kit lenses out there. Bargain wise you want the Panasonic Gf3. It's identical to the GF5 in every way but they shifted a chip around so it didn't overheat during long video use. Random link showing the average buy it now price of $140 with kit, with the change you can pick up a a second hand sigma prime to go with it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-GF3-12-1-MP-Black-Digital-Camera-w-14-42mm-Lens-/231858371115

That works for me! I wound up buying the same model from a different vendor. I didn't have the link handy so I just searched for GF3 and went with the cheapest one with a lens. Thanks for the advice!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Anarkii posted:

I have a question about sensor crop modes/digital teleconverter/ex tele conv. If I'm shooting wildlife and am unable to fill my frame with the subject and unable to zoom with my feet for obvious reasons, then my options are to crop in post or set a crop factor in-camera to reach a higher effective focal length at the cost of smaller file size. If both of these methods result in a 8MP image (from a 16MP camera), is the 2nd one better?
No. It only allows you to shoot more onto a single card.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My wife's a PR consultant, and one part of her job involves taking large numbers of photos from photographers, weeding them down to the ones she thinks are most marketable for whatever story she's pitching, and submitting them to various media sources. So she's getting thousands of photos from these people, ten thousand at a time sometimes, and she's a) storing them on dropbox, and b) she's got no real way to catalog them. I'm guessing she needs some kind of digital asset management, but what? She needs someplace to store these images, and to be able to catalog/tag them for easy retrieval: #gaywedding, #groom, whatever.

What are some options that are a) dead simple to setup and use, and b) reasonably priced, like ~$1,500 per year?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Why is she gathering and storing photos to use instead of just using stock photos?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When you say "taking" do you mean "buying the full rights to" or "right click and save picture as"?

e: it's a really confusing post with the ten thousand at a time thing.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Yeah I didn't word that very well. The photographers are her clients. A photographer hires her to get his photos seen in publications, so to do that she gets to know his work. Then when she hears of a writer at Martha Stewart Weddings doing a story on, I don't know, gay Indian weddings in Texas, she says "oh yeah, the Gupta wedding matches that" and she'll try to get those photos used in the piece.

Her problem is that some photographers send her 100 photos, which is fine, and some send her 10,000. It's getting hard for her to manage, hence her need to catalog and organize it all.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 8, 2016

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

That's really more of an enterprise IT question since I really doubt the majority of dorkroomers are dealing with assets on that scale. Are there no Dropbox app integration whatevers that does what she's looking for? The enterprise DAMs have differing prices based on scale, so it's probably best to request a quote from some trusted ones like WebDAM or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Why not LR and a local NAS?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

spog posted:

Why not LR and a local NAS?

LR would be horribly unwieldy for that many photos. Also LR refuses to run off of catalogues stored on network storage and I'm guessing that's gonna be a dealbreaker.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Any roll-your-own solution would probably cost way beyond your budget and would be way outside your expertise level given the scale and the trouble involved keeping it running and more importantly, running securely. I would consider using a pre-existing service like Smugmug Business or something where you don't have to worry about running out of storage or availability. As far as I know, Smugmug doesn't put a cap on storage space, and it extracts the metadata from photos for search purposes.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Would it make sense to also tackle the 10k photos at a time problem and encourage the clients to prefilter these somewhat via pricing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone do Lightroom work on recent Macbooks (the 2015 models) or Air? How good/bad is it?

I'm thinking that with 8GB of ram and 512GB or more of SSD it should be good enough for to get by, but the processor options give me pause. The i7 you can get in the Air is certainly plenty, but I've never used the m3/m5/m7 processors for "real" work. My machine at work is m5 and it's fine, but all it does is terminals and web browsing.