Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

It's a bad habit and honestly y'all are falling all over the place anyways. Tread lightly but if you have people who can actually step into plays and move quickly off of the faceoff its interference. Not saying it'll get called but a bad habit.

Also how many faceoffs are even won that cleanly/quickly anyways?

I'm not trying to toot my horn or anything but if I'm winning 50% of the time, probably more than 50% of that is a clean win (off my stick, whether or not my team gets to it first is another thing). Most aluminum players don't try very hard. Also Ace informs me he's not playing aluminum next season so I'm gonna try to hop onto the copper team he's going to (which will be coming from lakewood because they're removing the team pay option, making it a ridiculous cost for that rink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Damnit I'll never get called up to the big leagues. :negative:

I hate how much I like lovely beer league pun names sometimes.

My 4v4 Team name is "No Pucks Given"

ugh

Whenever someone asks me what team I am on I just stare at them and say "something about not giving a gently caress"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

You guys have any experience with Reebok Ribcor skates? I may try some on tomorrow, but I won't bother if they're just gimmicky. I'm wondering how long the pump would last.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Duke Chin posted:

Okay but how many times is that immediately followed up with "NO NOT YOUR LEFT MY LEFT poo poo! gently caress!!!!!"

The current count is at zero for now, i suspect it'll change once we get new goalies.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

whats the hockey reference here or is just a hi-larious name

you probably got lost on the cycle and didn't communicate, its ok happens to us all really

Upper decker is basically when you poo poo in the cistern of a toilet. Guy in the logo is in perfect positioning.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Nostratic posted:

You guys have any experience with Reebok Ribcors? I may try some on tomorrow, but I won't bother if they're just gimmicky.

I bought a $50 Ribcor on sale for $35. It's 75 flex and I don't take slap shots. It has lasted over a year.

So good in my books.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Upper decker is basically when you poo poo in the cistern of a toilet. Guy in the logo is in perfect positioning.

I know what it is.

so erase the hockey reference and just make it a poo poo reference ok man loving hilarious lets just call it a vargatron

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

I know what it is.

so erase the hockey reference and just make it a poo poo reference ok man loving hilarious lets just call it a vargatron

:iceburn:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

I bought a $50 Ribcor on sale for $35. It's 75 flex and I don't take slap shots. It has lasted over a year.

So good in my books.

Sorry, I meant the skates. I do need a new stick, though, so I'll keep it in mind!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ribcors are excellent, CCM acquired them pretty much off of the strength of that line

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

sellouts posted:

whats the hockey reference here or is just a hi-larious name

you probably got lost on the cycle and didn't communicate, its ok happens to us all really
"TALK GUYS TALK"

*gets picked off*

"Well poo poo..."

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I won a decent number of faceoffs on Wednesday (tips were great, thanks!) but I won them almost exclusively to the wing instead of the defense and they were contested pretty quickly. I guess I need to dig further into the circle and then backwards?

I also spent a LOT of time just covering people in the slot when we were being pressured, is that my job or am I forcing a defender out of position when I do that? Should I pick up a man higher up? We won 3-1 thanks to our other centre getting a hatty. Also being a father-son duo with my 58 year old dad seems to be a pretty big novelty in the league so that's fun. We're like the Howes if the Howes were trash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal, one of the center's jobs is to cover gaps in your defense. Since there's three forwards attacking you, and ideally you want everyone to be covered, that means the center needs to be able to identify the extra man and take care of it. But if standing in the slot is literally all you're doing have a chat with your defense and figure out what the hell is going on, because that's their job too.

It could be your defense doesn't give a poo poo. Or they see you there and decide to go do something else. Or they're just oblivious to the game of hockey. Communicate what you want to do and hopefully they adjust.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

So I won a decent number of faceoffs on Wednesday (tips were great, thanks!) but I won them almost exclusively to the wing instead of the defense and they were contested pretty quickly. I guess I need to dig further into the circle and then backwards?

Get lower, try lowering bottom hand. Some change grips to overhand but I hate that. Realize the motion is less of a left to right sweep and leaving the stick face open is going to cause it to go wide rather than back

Also maybe spin your body to block him and pass from your feet ?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Yeah no thanks

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lemme guess, he tugged it out and went back into the game, right?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Dunno - found it on how to hockey's facebooks a couple minutes ago. But, yeah, probably.
fffffffuuuuuuuuuuck being a goalie. :v:

Going to an 11:15pm stick n puck sesh tonight because i'm a loser with nothing better to do on a Friday. It's either that or get a pizza.
Maybe both.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Where at? I've got no plans tonight and haven't skated in weeks

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah no thanks

poo poo like this make me strongly consider getting a certified cateye the next time I buy a mask...

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah no thanks

That is a ridiculous amount of rust on the cage. It's pretty hard to get a puck stuck in a cat-eye. In order for this to happen, the puck has to come in with out any sort of deflections to slow the puck.

Duke, where is the pizza and hockey on Fridays? I need to know for...research.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Where at? I've got no plans tonight and haven't skated in weeks

Kent valley at 1115p - I'll be the dip poo poo falling down in Brown and gold jersey w/ blue pants if you make it out

Bradf0rd posted:

Duke, where is the pizza and hockey on Fridays? I need to know for...research.

Pizza is TBD cause I got outta work later than expected. Might have to go (gasp!) frozen :( I kinda want Amante if they're still open/delivering to my crap neighborhood afterward. SO.MUCH.GARLIC on their pizzas it owns

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 7, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
So as loving usual Kent didn't list their poo poo right on the calender and this isn't stuck n puck this is full on drop in. I was gonna stay and play anyway but I didn't bring all of my pads so I'm not dropping in. Sorry and God drat Kent's scheduling annoys me sometimes

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
No worries, I just played drop in against a team of junior level payers in their late teens with no goalies at 1130pm on a Friday night. But yeah that was no stick and puck session. Those fuckers are fast.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Late night weekend drop in hockey is awesome if you want to feel old and slow. Last time I went we were getting off the ice around 12:30-1 and the kids that just spent two hours with the jets on were drinking beers in the locker room and talking about hitting last call at a bar before finding an after party. Little shits.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Sometimes my feet stop working.

http://giphy.com/gifs/hockey-26vUu3SqgErMx3lAY/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We won 10-5 last night in a comedy hour of terrible D and goaltending by both teams. It was awesome. Pretty sure we scored on our first 4 shots.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah no thanks

You have to go out of your way to let a helmet get that rusty. He must not have ever aired out his mask after a skate and clearly hasn't replaced his cage in 1/2 a decade. The bar across his right eye is also dented it so it'll be more likely to do this on that side too. Just a lot of dumb/lazy going on in that photo

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Played goalie in a game last night that ended in a brawl. I don't really know how it started exactly, some jaw jacking and chippiness obviously. Then the other team's entire bench cleared where as most of our guys stayed on our bench (one left). Their goalie came in towards the end throwing haymakers for no reason and what might've ended suddenly reignited. At one point our guy let him up and he threw a punch at him. The worst though was one idiot on their team took everything waaaay too far and decided to take our guy down and then stomp on his leg which ended up breaking his fibula and he may need surgery. Unfucking believable.

The only thing to come out of it was the league director had no problem with our team's actions nor did the ref. That and we beat them 9-4.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
What. The. gently caress.

So glad I live in Southern California where sports really don't matter at all because there's a million other things to do at any time.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

TrixR4kids posted:

The worst though was one idiot on their team took everything waaaay too far and decided to take our guy down and then stomp on his leg which ended up breaking his fibula and he may need surgery. Unfucking believable.

Hope the cops aren't getting involved in this. He should have known the risk he was taking when he laced up his skates!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Jesus loving Christ where was that at? That's not even "way over the line" that's beyond insane. If people want to willingly fight that's one thing but stomping a guys leg?

I played 2 back to back games last night as part of the leagues captain games. It was casual but fun. Only 2 subs each so I got a lot of puck time which was nice. Wasn't planning on playing the second but they didn't have enough people to skate so I joined in. gently caress if I didn't lose 5 lbs in sweat though.

And it's funny. A 9 mile hike last weekend made my it band tight, giving me some knee pain when walking but it felt fine while skating. This morning was rough though.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Discovered "the fear" like never before at a tournament recently. Theres nothing quite like being your team's only goalie and having the full force of your hang over kick in moments before stepping on the ice. Knowing you need to vomit whilst being trapped out there in the crease for 60 minutes was an exceptionally horrendous experience - somehow it was probably my best game all tournament, however the gently caress that works.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You were too hung over to worry about letting goals in.

Also, what the gently caress, a guy got his leg broke during a beer league brawl? I didn't know you entered a gladiator ring as soon as you hit the ice.

Got a 10:15PM game tonight against the best team in the league. My stat line is 7.00GAA and a .692 SV% over 4 games. It's going to be a fun poo poo show.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Felt a lot more comfortable playing center second time out last night. Managed to weave the puck through the neutral zone a few times and then set up good passes in the offensive zone, and I won a few faceoffs back to the right position. I played higher in the slot on defense (unless I needed to cover someone right out front) and was quicker to go help along the boards or in the corners. Playing C is awesome, so much skating.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip! posted:

Discovered "the fear" like never before at a tournament recently. Theres nothing quite like being your team's only goalie and having the full force of your hang over kick in moments before stepping on the ice. Knowing you need to vomit whilst being trapped out there in the crease for 60 minutes was an exceptionally horrendous experience - somehow it was probably my best game all tournament, however the gently caress that works.

Literally every other person in this thread plays on a team with only one goalie

Also get out. (Glad it went well!)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey Nitramstr who is the dude on your Canadians team that bitches a bunch but took this season off?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Literally every other person in this thread plays on a team with only one goalie

Or on teams with like 7 guys/girls who usually play goalie, all skating out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

At the San Jose tournament we went to a couple weeks ago, one team we played had a fully-dressed backup on the bench. It was pretty :psyduck: considering we were in the lowest division. Must have been great to pay his fee and not play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Goalies pay a fee? Weird! I don't think I could take a team up there as our goalies are deadbeats. Much like Zip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

TrixR4kids posted:

Played goalie in a game last night that ended in a brawl.

Goddamn, that's crazy. I've seen plenty of pushing/shoving/chirping, but never a full on fight, and definitely not a stomp like that, holy poo poo.

It's beer league, who cares!

sellouts posted:

Goalies pay a fee? Weird! I don't think I could take a team up there as our goalies are deadbeats. Much like Zip.

They always pay less than skaters, in my experience. Shiftless bastards.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 12, 2016