Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

DrDork posted:

This also makes them much better, in general, for SFF cases, SLI/CF, and other scenarios where you have limited space to work with to the point that open-air after market coolers would have a hell of a time generating enough airflow to work correctly. Sure, for most people it'll never be an issue, but they're not completely useless.

For an SFF case, if you have proper ventilation, then an open shroud shouldn't be an issue. Of course, in an SLI/CF configuration, you can't ventilate a PCB, so you gotta go blower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VulgarandStupid posted:

For an SFF case, if you have proper ventilation, then an open shroud shouldn't be an issue. Of course, in an SLI/CF configuration, you can't ventilate a PCB, so you gotta go blower.

If. There are a bunch of SFF case/motherboard setups where the only 16x PCIe slot ends up being so close to the edge of the case that there's <1cm of clearance between the card and the case. Not a great situation for an open-air cooler, but not terrible for the good 'ol leaf blower. That said, yeah, there are SFF cases not designed by idiots where that isn't an issue.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Generally I'd much sooner go AIO than blower, especially in the SLI/CF one (maybe a blower for one card, but the other would have a covered fan hole and nobody wants that).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What determines a "base clock" anyways? It seems like it's mostly synthetic rather than an intrinsic value of the card, right? Maxwell could have been much "worse at overclocking" if they sold it with a higher base clock? I'm just trying to figure out if base clocks have a large marketing factor to them or if there is some fundamental engineering formula that they use to establish them

Marketing. If you have a big lead like Maxwell you clock them back so they're still slightly faster but hey guys they totally have awesome overclocking headroom! Then everyone jerks off over what your marketing department says is a 145W TDP but is actually 175W on reference cards and after the AIBs are done with their factory OC and poo poo it's actually close to 200W and it gets even worse if you really open up the throttle. Meanwhile you get to ship some weak chips that would have failed if pushed to a faster clockrate but slide in because of your factory underclock, and hey, overclocks aren't guaranteed, no refunds buddy.

If you're AMD and you're barely hanging on, you push your chips right to the limit from the factory and that's how you get the Fury X aka "Overclocker's Dream", or the 390/390X's minimal OC - they already ate up all the OC headroom at the factory.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This seems worth reposting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

If you watch a 60fps video on your second display your refresh on your gaming screen might get fuxxored

I'm the 30fps camera trying to film a drop from 144hz to 60hz :downs:

Anyway, meh, who cares. If you're really trying to max your framerate you get a laptop or a Liva X or an Athlon 5350 to drive your second monitor with the web browser.

Still though, I guess I won't leave the forums open with animated avs and poo poo.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 7, 2016

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Just sent my second MSI card in for a fan RMA. One of the fan bearings on the 290 started to get sticky and I wanted to send it in while it was still under warranty. Should have sent it in a week ago but I figured HW2 Remastered wouldn't hit it too hard. It definitely got worse over that few days though. Since these are current-gen fans I'm actually surprised it had an issue at all since this one only saw a couple days of mining at the very end whereas the previous 280X saw a lot of that on the 1st-gen fans that were known to have issues.

Maybe I'll get a 390 out of it, but I'm happy with the current card other than the wonky fan so even if they just replace the cooler that works for me. Hopefully MSI's warranty service hasn't gone to poo poo - last time the turnaround was about a week. Too lazy to replace drivers so I'm currently stuck on a single monitor running off the 2600K's IGPU. Every time I bring it out of sleep I have to stop myself from thinking the second screen is broken. Debating on selling it while I can get some value out of it depending how the new cards shape up, but I've mostly been playing older stuff on the 290 so it's not like I need that much performance as-is.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 7, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
1080 launch confirmed apparently:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 7, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

future ghost posted:

Just sent my second MSI card in for a fan RMA. One of the fan bearings on the 290 started to get sticky and I wanted to send it in while it was still under warranty. Should have sent it in a week ago but I figured HW2 Remastered wouldn't hit it too hard. It definitely got worse over that few days though. Since these are current-gen fans I'm actually surprised it had an issue at all since this one only saw a couple days of mining at the very end whereas the previous 280X saw a lot of that on the 1st-gen fans that were known to have issues.

Maybe I'll get a 390 out of it, but I'm happy with the current card other than the wonky fan so even if they just replace the cooler that works for me. Hopefully MSI's warranty service hasn't gone to poo poo - last time the turnaround was about a week. Too lazy to replace drivers so I'm currently stuck on a single monitor running off the 2600K's IGPU. Every time I bring it out of sleep I have to stop myself from thinking the second screen is broken. Debating on selling it while I can get some value out of it depending how the new cards shape up, but I've mostly been playing older stuff on the 290 so it's not like I need that much performance as-is.

MSI is held to be one of the good ones, so hopefully it works right, and you've got what might be the single most gracefully aging card in history, so not trading in seems like a viable option.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

MSI is held to be one of the good ones, so hopefully it works right, and you've got what might be the single most gracefully aging card in history, so not trading in seems like a viable option.

I like MSI cards, I have one now in fact. But when I hear "my fan went bad" you can pretty much guess MSI.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I like MSI cards, I have one now in fact. But when I hear "my fan went bad" you can pretty much guess MSI.

Yeah, I was more talking about their rep for servicing cards.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Nvidia stream is a go! :getin:

EDIT: With terrible intro music.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

lol everytime I read this I go "oh come on its just a presentation"

then i clicked on the link... not this time

edit: at least it went druggy

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

BRAP BRAP BREEEP DRUN DRUN DRUNNNNNNNNN

its been 5 minutes where is the unveil showing cards I won't be able to buy/use in my current system for months nvidia

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
omg it went away then it came right back

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

God I hate the playing to the crowd. Just announce the cards.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

tecnocrat posted:

God I hate the playing to the crowd. Just announce the cards.

HACKERS

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why is this man awkwardly stuttering through this poo poo. Tell us about the new goddamn graphics cards, we all know what they're used for FFS

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Yes, yes, PC gaming is great, cards plz?

EDIT: lol, Nvidia literally crowning themselves kings of the industry? :lol:

Oh yay, in game photography, how innovative. :jerkbag:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 7, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, yes, PC gaming is great, cards plz?

EDIT: lol, Nvidia literally crowning themselves kings of the industry? :lol:

Oh yay, in game photography, how innovative. :jerkbag:

no it'll be something else, cause they know they are

this is obviously some kind of wanky animation convention or some poo poo so we all have to suffer through this crap

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
:eng101:: And now you crop it! Unbelievable!

Audience: :confuoot:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
yes when I tune into a stream about videocards, I'm looking for a lecture about freakin' soundwaves

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yay PhysX for audio, just what we've been waiting for.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Jen: Hey audience, does VR rock or does it suck?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Oh yay, VR carnival mini-games.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The balloon pops.

The balloon pops...Man showing people VR games without a VR helmet is going to be weird for awhile isn't it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh yay, VR carnival mini-games.

Yeah seriously if you don't care about all this BS just read this leak from NVIDIA's blog's RSS feed.

Only question is price/perf on the 980 and you know that's coming last.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh cool a unified architecture, like GCN? But this time how can it gently caress AMD?

That chart though, factoring in consoles NVIDIA and AMD probably split the overall gaming market 50/50.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol is this your first time seeing anything like this before guys, this is at least somewhat relevant

and seriously 3d audio is extremely the poo poo and you should all be excited, and if you arent, you just havent heard it yet

but ill just read the cliffnotes cause this is gonna be forever

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Uh, DAE TrueAudio? Guys? Anybody? Bueller?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Everything was maxed out and at 60 fps. But it was probably only at 1920x1080.

Anyway here's the 1080.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Aaaand here we go, 1080 time.

havenwaters posted:

Everything was maxed out and at 60 fps. But it was probably only at 1920x1080.

Anyway here's the 1080.

1080p for the GTX 1080

Obviously Jen's first time playing vidya, he doesn't even know that The Division looks great and sucks to play

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Nvidia: We spent some money. Yeah.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I admit that the "DAAAAYUMN" got a chuckle out of me

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

GDDR5X for the 1080 confirmed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I can't get the page to load, I guess I wait for you guys to play-by-play or wait for the after-action report.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can't get the page to load, I guess I wait for you guys to play-by-play or wait for the after-action report.

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia

it's on twitch

edit: He's talking about power efficiency/striving to use clean power always.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Big claims: 1080 is >> 980 Sli. Also than a titan x but yeah a 980 sli was already faster than a titan x.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
No, dude, the question is not "what to do with all the power." The question is HOW MUCH, and WHEN?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Holy gently caress 1x 1080 is faster than a Titan X or 980 SLI, by a significant margin apparently. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That girl in the audience shouting is ludicrously annoying, good lord.